Wednesday 15 August 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 15 August 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 15 August 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ld-poverty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... heelchairs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://theindependentlivingdebate.word ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

INDEPENDENT LIVING: A POSITION STATEMENT FROM THE INDEPENDENT LIVING STRATEGY GROUP
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The best practice that currently goes under the heading of ‘social care’ is about enabling the lives we choose to live. When this is achieved it is the most important thing that our society can do for its citizens
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I wondered if this was about the world supply of sophisticated electric wheelchairs, but not so !

" More than 4 million people a year have been denied the use of a wheelchair despite needing one after breaking a leg or having surgery, the British Red Cross has claimed.
While those who needed a wheelchair for at least six months were generally given one, people needing it for less time often went without, the charity said.
"
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... wheelchair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've needed a wheelchair twice in the last nine years . No waiting time at all.
So it's just your typical British underfunding.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Library today so won't be here for long.

Last night Schoolsweek had an item on an intriguing report written by Toby Young for the CPS on allowing UTCs and studio schools to select pupils.

And this morning?

Laura McInerney
‏Verified account

@miss_mcinerney
Follow
Follow @miss_mcinerney

More
Laura McInerney Retweeted Schools Week
Page 15 of the report pretty much admits this is a neat way of massaging free school figures, which are currently dragged down by UTC results.
Ah. Shocked etc.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I switched off Toady while it was indulging its ghoulish enthusiasm over Milan, so perhaps I missed a fresher one on this !

At 0640 they mentioned Bridgen accusing Corbyn of not declaring his paid-for trip from the Tunisian government to Parliament . No mention of that other parliamentarian ! (See RoT last night ...)

Mishal Husayn cut off the Grayling rather neatly :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

We’re in a new age of obesity. How did it happen? You’d be surprised George Monbiot
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ght-people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has a little girl from Northamptonshire just ended local government cuts?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ssion=true
" After a child and her family challenged their council, the High Court has ruled its decision to close 21 of the county’s 36 libraries unlawful.

A young child and her family have successfully challenged bankrupt Northamptonshire County Council’s decision to close 21 of the county’s 36 libraries.

The High Court has ruled the council’s library cuts plan unlawful. The judge found its decision was a result of financial concerns, and it failed to consider whether it would operate a comprehensive and efficient library service after the closures. This meant a failure to comply with its statutory duties as a council. " More --

https://fresh-news-now.com/2018/08/14/h ... ment-cuts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Kellner on the brexit polling.
https://infacts.org/massive-summer-poll ... t-message/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there's this - he was eavesdroppping
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian Birrell

@ianbirrell
Follow Follow @ianbirrell
More
I was in a Washington cafe when a senior British diplomat sat beside me with an ambassador from Europe. After outlining the official Brexit position & discussing editorial changes at the Mail, the UK official said they expect the government to ask for an Article 50 extension...

Ian Birrell

@ianbirrell
15h15 hours ago
More
...The diplomat then said there was 'considerable movement' towards a second referendum, which would offer the choice of accepting Theresa May's deal or keeping the status quo. Sounds good to me
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Kellner on the brexit polling.
https://infacts.org/massive-summer-poll ... t-message/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there's this - he was eavesdroppping

Ian Birrell

@ianbirrell
Follow Follow @ianbirrell
More
I was in a Washington cafe when a senior British diplomat sat beside me with an ambassador from Europe. After outlining the official Brexit position & discussing editorial changes at the Mail, the UK official said they expect the government to ask for an Article 50 extension...

Ian Birrell

@ianbirrell
15h15 hours ago
More
...The diplomat then said there was 'considerable movement' towards a second referendum, which would offer the choice of accepting Theresa May's deal or keeping the status quo. Sounds good to me
Theresa May has the authority to ask for an extension without recourse to Parliament. She has also now passed the Withdrawal Bill without conceding a proper meaningful vote so theoretically also has the ability to negotiate a Withdrawal Agreement with the EU and take it forward, again without recourse to Parliament (though Parliament would surely make a song and dance if she did). A referendum, however, will need a majority in Parliament and so the question is obviously, can she command one? Labour don't support a further referendum and a large chunk of Tory MPs won't support one either.

And then there is the added problem of needing to remain in charge to do any of this.

Still nice to know there's a plan, of sorts, which isn't just keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best. And May double crossing the hard Brexiters has always been a possibility. I suspect she doesn't want to be the PM who crashed the UK out of the EU. At least, that's what I'm hoping. It's still more likely than not that it's all going to go horribly wrong, though. She has to agree something on the Irish Border first, for a start.....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow 9.50 " Labour don't support a further referendum "
Not yet ! :-) :-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote:Willow 9.50 " Labour don't support a further referendum "
Not yet ! :-) :-)
Absolutely.

I was just looking at it from the point of view of what Theresa May could rely on and the opposition voting for something they don't currently officially support is a question mark, that's all. Her way to the above posited outcome is far from certain, though securing a withdrawal agreement and a possible leadership challenge are bigger hurdles I would have thought.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I've always thought an A50 extension is a possibility.

Though one problem then is what happens with the European elections (due in the summer of 2019)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I've always thought an A50 extension is a possibility.
Though one problem then is what happens with the European elections (due in the summer of 2019)
Do you mean an A50 extension of the status quo, while the Tories remain in office ...
hoping that something will er 'turn up' ? :-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote:
Do you mean an A50 extension of the status quo, while the Tories remain in office ...
The EU have been clear they won't accept that. They'll only agree to an extension for something pretty specific, such as to allow us the time to hold a further referendum. In which case AK is right, the next round of EU elections are a problem because if one of the referendum options is to remain in the EU we'll surely have to take part in case that option is chosen, we can't just sit them out on the assumption we're leaving as we can during a transition period.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Guy Hewitt: ‘How I forced the UK government to act on the Windrush scandal’ Amelia Gentleman

An object lesson in how to get shit done —

“” He successfully coordinated the first ever press conference of all Caribbean high commissioners, at which they expressed dismay at the government’s treatment of people who had lived all their adult lives in the UK.

When Downing Street rejected their request for a meeting with Theresa May and all the Caribbean heads of government to discuss the issue during the Commonwealth summit, Hewitt was furious, and went straight to key television and radio shows to express his anger.

He wanted people to understand the scale of the problem. “I did not want them to have any sense that this was anything other than a catastrophe,” he says. Within 24 hours, the then home secretary Amber Rudd was called to parliament where she apologised at length for the “appalling” treatment of those citizens. “”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... sh-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It took a LONG time to get there, and now Javid is hiding it under the carpet again ?
Last edited by frog222 on Wed 15 Aug, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:
frog222 wrote:
Though one problem then is what happens with the European elections (due in the summer of 2019) quote]
The EU have been clear they won't accept that. They'll only agree to an extension for something pretty specific, such as to allow us the time to hold a further referendum. In which case AK is right, the next round of EU elections are a problem because if one of the referendum options is to remain in the EU we'll surely have to take part in case that option is chosen, we can't just sit them out on the assumption we're leaving as we can during a transition period.
Of course you're right on the EU's position. A Ref would have to be before the summer then.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Don't worry I'm well aware the government couldn't just ask for an A50 extension no strings attached - they would have to come up with some sort of plausible rationale for it.

(and they would need that to get it past what would be lots of miffed backbenchers, too)

But these are weird times, and recent events show ruling anything out as "impossible" is not wise ;)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I agree that the May 2019 European Parliament elections are a problem if we extend the A50 process. More of a problem is the end of the current budget period at the end of 2020 - this is why the rest of the EU have said that this is the deadline for the end of any transition. If it isn't the government are going to have to eat shit to their leaders in the ERG and agree significant additional further payments to the EU budget without any say over that budget.

I'm very aware that I don't know a thing about this, but I wonder if the EU would be more likely to say no, we won't extend this without a clear change in your situation BUT you're welcome to withdraw it, and start again when you know what you actually want to do. That's simpler - still in, take part in elections, part of budget procedure and obviously continue to pay, and so on.
I still believe in a town called Hope
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:I agree that the May 2019 European Parliament elections are a problem if we extend the A50 process. More of a problem is the end of the current budget period at the end of 2020 - this is why the rest of the EU have said that this is the deadline for the end of any transition. If it isn't the government are going to have to eat shit to their leaders in the ERG and agree significant additional further payments to the EU budget without any say over that budget.

I'm very aware that I don't know a thing about this, but I wonder if the EU would be more likely to say no, we won't extend this without a clear change in your situation BUT you're welcome to withdraw it, and start again when you know what you actually want to do. That's simpler - still in, take part in elections, part of budget procedure and obviously continue to pay, and so on.
Adam, very good, made me laugh too, (in a good way of course) !
As Anatoly said "weird times", and not ruling anything out :-)

PSedit -- looking forward to seeing Farage on the street with his 'rifle'.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ssion=true
---
The High Court has ruled the council’s library cuts plan unlawful. The judge found its decision was a result of financial concerns, and it failed to consider whether it would operate a comprehensive and efficient library service after the closures. This meant a failure to comply with its statutory duties as a council. "
---
(cJA edit)
Yes, exactly this
failure to comply with statutory duties
An awful, irresponsible and disastrous Tory government have failed the people and country
It may well be their plan, dismantling UK social and political systems but it's unconstitutional and on the wrong side of the law
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

House of Fraser pulls plug on website after warehouse dispute

Retailer’s warehouse operator has stopped processing orders in dispute over payment

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-payments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA emphasis)

This is extraordinary news
In the overall scheme of things, one retailer unable to conduct trade online isn't the end of the world but it is for this business. House of Fraser's financial problems isn't new news. I'm struck by this because they're a big retailer; at least, they used to be. The folding of many long-established, UK businesses is dismaying.

Edited to add

The story is bigger than I'd anticipated.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:
Reminds me of his infamous victory statement on the morning of June 24 2016 - "we won without a shot being fired" :evil:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The problems come after House of Fraser’s warehouse operator, XPO Logistics, “paused” processing orders amid a dispute over payment. XPO is among thousands of suppliers that House of Fraser has written to saying it will not cover money owed ahead of Friday, when Sports Direct bought the business out of administration.

Legally, Sports Direct has no obligation to pay suppliers as their debts are part of the administration. They are not expected to recoup more than 3p in every £1. However, new owners often agree to settle at least some of these debts in the interest of maintaining good relations.
(cJA emphasis)

I'd tell Sports Direct to kiss my ass It seems justified, not cooperating with Sports Direct given the circumstances. Am I missing something? Genuine question.
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 15 Aug, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote:
Reminds me of his infamous victory statement on the morning of June 24 2016 - "we won without a shot being fired" :evil:
His was one of the most reprehensible things out of anyone's mouth
Inaccurate as well as beyond grossly insensitive
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote:
His was one of the most reprehensible things out of anyone's mouth
Inaccurate as well as beyond grossly insensitive
Farage's references to street violence are not only reprehensible, they're a nod to the violent yobbish part of his constituency ... see Trump encouraging his bouncers to rough people up, to applause .

I wonder how much of remainer MP's reluctance to nullifie the Ref in some way or other was due to fear of outraged street violence ?

I just do not know ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh, its a part of it undoubtedly. Plus we know from history just how potent a plausible "stabbed in the back" meme can be........
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

citizenJA wrote:
The problems come after House of Fraser’s warehouse operator, XPO Logistics, “paused” processing orders amid a dispute over payment. XPO is among thousands of suppliers that House of Fraser has written to saying it will not cover money owed ahead of Friday, when Sports Direct bought the business out of administration.

Legally, Sports Direct has no obligation to pay suppliers as their debts are part of the administration. They are not expected to recoup more than 3p in every £1. However, new owners often agree to settle at least some of these debts in the interest of maintaining good relations.
(cJA emphasis)

I'd tell Sports Direct to kiss my ass It seems justified, not cooperating with Sports Direct given the circumstances. Am I missing something? Genuine question.
Depends how badly they want Ashley's business in future. Game of chicken, basically.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: I wonder how much of remainer MP's reluctance to nullifie the Ref in some way or other was due to fear of outraged street violence ?

I just do not know ...
I hope that wouldn't have influenced them much. Many people, including myself, think leavers would be outraged for about a week and whether it got as far as street violence would depend on the weather.
Just think, they'd be able to go on grumbling indefinitely. ;)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

From the Freedland , BrianO_Blivion 3h ago 230 231
I was interested to hear Lord Phillips of Sudbury walking all over this story on Radio 4 this lunchtime. He's a Tory peer and a passionate supporter of Israel's right to exist who was at the conference and basically said - as politely as he could - that this whole story is a confected smear with no foundation.https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... reath-mess
Apart from the fact that he's ex-Labour, next and probably now LibDem, AND by choice no longer sitting in the HoL, what he did say was that there were crowds of people there including many MP's and MEP's from all over Europe, and that it was all a bit shambolic . When questioned, his strong impression from what i heard was that it was not a fanatically anti-Israel event .

This is a bit dated but useful --

""Phillips states that he is a supporter of Israel, and offered to fight for Israel in the 1973 Arab–Israeli War. But visiting Israel, the West Bank and Gaza for the first time in 2001, and a number of times since, has altered his view. He believes Israel's controls on Gaza are contrary to international law and simple morality, and that international action on the Gaza situation is in the interests of Israel.[8] Phillips has called for economic and cultural sanctions on Israel.[9]

Jewish Chronicle blogs have been critical of Phillips views, suggesting that he is being critical of Jews as well as of Israel.[1 "" **
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Ph ... of_Sudbury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

** I'm so surprised !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Were there really a lot of railside fires in hot weather when we** were young ?

[youtube]mRU1qn4VDjM[/youtube]

** youngsters under sixty, at least, not included :-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Back again...and in the least unsurprising news possible, Grayling appears to be as ignorant of impacts of Brexit as with anything else he touches.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Back again...and in the least unsurprising news possible, Grayling appears to be as ignorant of impacts of Brexit as with anything else he touches.

I'm astonished that anyone could be astonished.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote:Were there really a lot of railside fires in hot weather when we** were young ?

[youtube]mRU1qn4VDjM[/youtube]

I don't remember ever hearing about any, but the North Yorkshire Moors Railway have to use diesels if there's a fire risk.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:Were there really a lot of railside fires in hot weather when we** were young ?

[youtube]0SCWLeli264[/youtube]