Thursday 16th August 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 16th August 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 16th August 2018

Post by tinybgoat »

Morning,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c ... d-11473592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Tory peer Lord Sheikh defends visit to wreath row conference Corbyn attended"
Meanwhile, Tory MP Nadine Dorries told Sky News: “If Lord Sheikh did attend the Tunis conference with anti-Semites and suspected terrorists, he should be expelled from the party.

"I’m not sure if it needs an inquiry. We are quite clear that we think Corbyn’s attendance was intolerable - we must in order to removed ourselves from the criticism of being cynical, apply the same standards.”
Not needing an inquiry sounds fairly cynical to me.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

"Garvan Walshe: Gove is setting himself up as Brexit’s Michael Collins"
https://www.conservativehome.com/thecol ... llins.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love of Gove not generally apparent in comments:
Only Michael Gove can speak for whatever his motives are – but it is outrageous to compare him to Michael Collins who, whatever you think of him, was a principled and very courageous man who got killed for his belief – a fate which Gove need not be concerned about. There will no film where Michael Gove is portrayed by Liam Neeson.
;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Nice way of combining two current stories...
Steve Bullock
‏@GuitarMoog
3m
3 minutes ago

More
The Government’s A-level results in full:
English (Exceptionalism): A*
History (British Imperial): Compulsory
Business Studies: E
Economics: E
Hospitality Studies: E
(State) Media Studies: BBC
European Studies: Fail
British Politics: Failing everyone

#ALevelsResultsDay2018
:)
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinybgoat wrote:Morning,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c ... d-11473592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meanwhile, Tory MP Nadine Dorries told Sky News: “If Lord Sheikh did attend the Tunis conference with anti-Semites and suspected terrorists, he should be expelled from the party.

"I’m not sure if it needs an inquiry. We are quite clear that we think Corbyn’s attendance was intolerable - we must in order to removed ourselves from the criticism of being cynical, apply the same standards.”
I believe Zac Goldsmith made the complaint against him.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I'm not sure the Guardian's 'what to do when A level results day goes wrong', with the story of a student who failed to get into the Russell Group university of her choice and had to go to a different Russell Group university, might have missed the point.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I think that even now, Dorries doesn't have much say in these things.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: I think that even now, Dorries doesn't have much say in these things.
I sincerely hope not, you'd struggle to find a working brain cell between her and Grayling.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Admirably succinct.

John Springford

@JohnSpringford
Follow Follow @JohnSpringford
More John Springford Retweeted Ed Conway
Problem is, a Brexit that is not economically destructive (EEA plus customs union) means less sovereignty for the UK than membership.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:I'm not sure the Guardian's 'what to do when A level results day goes wrong', with the story of a student who failed to get into the Russell Group university of her choice and had to go to a different Russell Group university, might have missed the point.
Typical of that paper these days, I fear.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/paralympic- ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled sport in crisis as numbers of participants drop by ten per cent since London 2012
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RIP Aretha Franklin - passed away on the anniversary of Elvis Presley's death, and a certain somebody's 60th birthday.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... march-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Help to Buy: ISA Scheme Quarterly Statistics: December 2015 to 31 March 2018

(The mysteriously exempt from back to work/work more hours good behaviouralists as opposed to the several decades contributers selfishly deciding to get I'll not expected to work saving the State countless amounts from not moving to non existing properties who must be discouraged for the sake of the Nation)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They did nothing to get I'll ,die early and receive far less back fot Thier buck than the vast majority of the majorative membership of the Party of Government,only right.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Catalogue of refugees who have died trying to reach Europe defaced and ripped down in Liverpool for the second time.
The motives of the vandals can only be speculated upon, but there are clues. Fresh posters have appeared pasted over the site: “THEY DON’T NEED OUR HELP” reads one. The list has never been defaced or damaged in this way before, in any part of the world it has been seen, and there is something immeasurably depressing and shaming that this should happen on its first showing in Britain.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sad news about Aretha although not unexpected.

How about this?

[youtube]bJZwcaWResA[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:Catalogue of refugees who have died trying to reach Europe defaced and ripped down in Liverpool for the second time.
The motives of the vandals can only be speculated upon, but there are clues. Fresh posters have appeared pasted over the site: “THEY DON’T NEED OUR HELP” reads one. The list has never been defaced or damaged in this way before, in any part of the world it has been seen, and there is something immeasurably depressing and shaming that this should happen on its first showing in Britain.
Liverpool has a good record on this stuff compared to many places tbf, though I suppose everywhere has its village (or city) idiots :twisted:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
adam wrote:Catalogue of refugees who have died trying to reach Europe defaced and ripped down in Liverpool for the second time.
Liverpool has a good record on this stuff compared to many places tbf, though I suppose everywhere has its village (or city) idiots :twisted:
I doubt the vandals were from Liverpool
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK government drops fracking question from public attitude tracker (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... de-tracker
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The government has stopped asking the British public whether they are for or against fracking for shale gas just weeks before the first fracking operation in seven years is due to start.

The number of people against extracting shale gas has outweighed those in favour since 2015, and the latest polling by officials found 32% opposed with just 18% in support.

Now the government, which backs fracking and recently relaxed planning rules to help the shale industry, has temporarily suspended that line of questioning.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... de-tracker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wrote, 'unbelievable', but then realised anything awful is to be expected from this Tory government
They're out of their minds
Labour responded outrage at this, good
It's in the article
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
UK government drops fracking question from public attitude tracker (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... de-tracker
Bumboils
I mean 'snap'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

TBG, I posted yesterday, after listening to WatO , Lord Phillips of Sudbury (LD) who was also there

"" ... what he did say was that there were crowds of people there including many MP’s and MEP’s from all over Europe, and that it was all a bit shambolic When questioned, his strong impression, from what i heard , was that it was not a fanatically anti-Israel event . ""

It'd be interesting to have the full invitation list ... but then let's not confuse critics with the truth !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm calling it an early night, everyone
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Anyone think that Margaret Hodge might have jumped the shark with this?
Sky News Breaking

Verified account

@SkyNewsBreak
Follow
Follow @SkyNewsBreak

More
Dame Margaret Hodge has told Sky News she felt the same fear her father would have felt when he was fleeing Nazi Germany when she found out Labour had opened disciplinary proceedings against her
:roll:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... za-theatre

UK playwrights condemn bombing of Gaza theatre

Leading playwrights and directors in Britain have severely criticised the bombing of a major cultural centre in the Gaza Strip by Israel’s air force, calling it a “devastating loss for the already isolated community”.

“We support our dear friends and colleagues who describe ‘their great rage and deep pain’ at the obliteration of this symbol of Palestinian culture and identity as they mourn the destruction of one of the few large venues for theatre and music performances in besieged Gaza,” the group said.

“Since its establishment in 2004, Al-Mishal served as a home for hundreds of plays, ceremonies, exhibits, musical performances and national ceremonies. It was the venue of choice for theatre companies in Gaza and a space for Gaza’s top musical acts.”

In an apparent reference to the cultural centre bombing, the Israeli army said at the time that its jets had targeted a five-storey structure which it said was “used by the Hamas terror organisation’s interior security forces for military purposes”.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why being able to criticise the actions of the state of Israel is vitally important, not content with outright murder, war crimes, illegal settlements, the destruction of infrastructure, the theft of resources, now we have flagrant cultural vandalism.

Corbyn needs to stand his ground.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone think that Margaret Hodge might have jumped the shark with this?
I think she may have actually jumped a Megalodon on Evel Knievel's rocket bike.

I mean there's hyperbole and then there's just being downright ridiculous. Surely it's offensive to the memory of those victims of the Nazis to make such a ludicrous comparison? Or is it just offensive if people make comparisons Israel and its supporters don't like?