Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th August 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th August 2018

Post by HindleA »

The bad news is we’re dying earlier in Britain – and it’s all down to ‘shit-life syndrome’
Will Hutton

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

They're all still on page 2 ?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

frog222 wrote:They're all still on page 2 ?
I bet I know someone who is.
Clue: noodly goodness
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Busy this weekend, isn't it?

Not that I'm complaining ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Rees-Mogg said he believed a “Canada-plus” deal, a free trade pact along the lines of the EU’s 2016 agreement with Canada but with deeper ties given Britain’s already closer trading links, could command a majority in parliament.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... 9W?rpc=401&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If the prime minister came to the House of Commons with a Canada-plus style Brexit, people like me would say, ‘Yes, that’s all right,’ and people who are strongly pro-European would say, ‘Yes, that’s better than leaving on World Trade Organisation terms,’” Rees-Mogg said. “So although that wouldn’t be what people might choose, it could command a majority.”
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought this was all about giving "the people" what they asked for.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And the point about that has always been, it depends on which "people" you ask.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Re Care ISA

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ttee-chair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ing-scheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yorkshire council leaders threaten to pull out of asylum seeker housing scheme

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/ex ... -1-9307805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Rees-Mogg said he believed a “Canada-plus” deal, a free trade pact along the lines of the EU’s 2016 agreement with Canada but with deeper ties given Britain’s already closer trading links, could command a majority in parliament.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... 9W?rpc=401&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If the prime minister came to the House of Commons with a Canada-plus style Brexit, people like me would say, ‘Yes, that’s all right,’ and people who are strongly pro-European would say, ‘Yes, that’s better than leaving on World Trade Organisation terms,’” Rees-Mogg said. “So although that wouldn’t be what people might choose, it could command a majority.”
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought this was all about giving "the people" what they asked for.
Depends what 'deeper ties' means. No siphoning off any of the free movements. No involvement in agencies without ECJ. No services as part of a free trade deal. No change, really. Just a different flavour of catastrophe.

Sorry - edited to add - but with deeper ties given Britain’s already closer trading links which exist as a result of EU membership and come with responsibilities and obligations that will be ongoing and that we have ruled out.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Page 3 already. Goodness me.

Edited - would you Adam and Eve it? Typo.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Depends what 'deeper ties' means. No siphoning off any of the free movements. No involvement in agencies without ECJ. No services as part of a free trade deal. No change, really. Just a different flavour of catastrophe.

Sorry - edited to add - but with deeper ties given Britain’s already closer trading links which exist as a result of EU membership and come with responsibilities and obligations that will be ongoing and that we have ruled out.
Broadly agree, but still think that JRM seeming to shift ground on his previously "sacred" no-deal Brexit might be significant.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ing-scheme
Yorkshire council leaders threaten to pull out of asylum seeker housing scheme
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/ex ... -1-9307805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frances Perraudin North of England reporter
SO kind of the Guardian to send an intrepid reporter to those zones north of Watford .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Helen Pidd is their NoE Editor, so they've actually got more than one!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"AnatolyKasparov"]
adam wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Broadly agree, but still think that JRM seeming to shift ground on his previously "sacred" no-deal Brexit might be significant.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Also interesting that the Moggster appear to be arguing for the Sovereignty of Parliament ?
Forgetting the "People" when it suits him.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

On R4 just now, interview with Road haulage boss, no sensible answers , understanding from Flailing Grayling !
CG :"Plan for a hard border. " ,
Trucker Boss -- "But that doesn't yet exist, no recruitment, no building, nothing !"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The only generational tension in social care is in the minds of the ill-informed,with an agenda,something to sell.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A certain agenda I should say.We all have agendas.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I found the longer proportion of life healthy in Scotland than elsewhere stat,interesting.Of course you can multi interpretate/question.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ford said that it is prepared to “take whatever action is needed” to keep its European business profitable, something likely to be seen as a warning that it could scale back UK operations.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 98131.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is this that Brexit bonanza we've been hearing about?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Can't get better response to Cohen's article than this IMHO.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-disabled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honeyed words do nothing to curb prejudice against the disabled

#Neil Crowther

Is Nick saying that language deeply coded with pity & low expectations or explicit in its derision (idiot, imbecile) or having been appropriated as such is the price disabled people must pay to maintain support for care & welfare that regards them as objects, not citizens?
Because that flies in the face of 30 years of campaigns for independent living & inclusion by disabled people globally, where transforming the way disabled people's lives are framed & understood has gone hand in hand with seeking reforms to laws, institutions, transportation etc
If there is a problematic story about language, it's the way government's have sometimes appropriated it to frame policies & actions that undermine rather than aid progress e.g. promoting independence as cover for cutting away support
But it would be a huge step backwards to legitimise the idea that to be legitimately disabled is to be weak and vulnerable,
We understand & call out the deleterious effects of discriminatory language & code on other groups, most notably of late, anti-semitism. It would be curious indeed to regard discriminatory language & codes concerning disabled people as a 'necessary evil'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Ford said that it is prepared to “take whatever action is needed” to keep its European business profitable, something likely to be seen as a warning that it could scale back UK operations.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 98131.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think we've now reached the tipping point - the point at which it's safe for Labour to state it's vision for the UK. Out of the EU? Or within an EU with an aim to work to change it (my own preference) to address some of the issues that many "outers" (a goodly number of whom have now changed, or are changing, their minds) had\have? I think that the EU would be open to constructive change. They know which way the wind is blowing, politically.

I wish I had faith in Jeremy Corbyn to do the necessary - but to be fair to him, he's never given me any cause to have any on the EU issue.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, indeed. One of the biggest fibs in this saga has been "everybody else (apart from Labour) has accepted IHRA in full!!"

Its simply not true.
Yes, indeed.
From Tory government 12 December 2016
Adopting the international definition will ensure that culprits will not be able to get away with being anti-Semitic because the term is ill-defined, or because different organisations or bodies have different interpretations of it. Britain will be one of the first countries to adopt the definition, agreed by the IHRA, an intergovernmental body made up of 31 member countries, in May this year.

It states:
"Anti-Semitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of anti-Semitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... i-semitism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's it. That's all. There's nothing more internationally recognised than this working definition at this time.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone

I've not read the entire thread from the beginning and apologise if my contribution above is incongruent
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The ECB has rejected attempts by banks to establish brass plate operations, telling banks they must move significant operations to the EU to sell their services inside political bloc.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -city-boss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... a-44412275

just a week he was bored and decided to venture out to buy a newspaper - only to be surrounded by a gaggle of men wanting his autograph.
Unfortunately, they had mistaken him for US actor Morgan Freeman. Not wanting to let them down, he signed Mr Freeman's name and fled."
Brilliant
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:brexit the (2 minute) movie
also brilliant
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
I think we've now reached the tipping point - the point at which it's safe for Labour to state it's vision for the UK. Out of the EU? Or within an EU with an aim to work to change it (my own preference) to address some of the issues that many "outers" (a goodly number of whom have now changed, or are changing, their minds) had\have? I think that the EU would be open to constructive change. They know which way the wind is blowing, politically.

I wish I had faith in Jeremy Corbyn to do the necessary - but to be fair to him, he's never given me any cause to have any on the EU issue.
I still think we are going to have to go out before we can go in again. But in present day politics, little is predictable.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Busy this weekend, isn't it?

Not that I'm complaining ;)
Mr citizen and I visited friends Friday evening
a thoroughly wonderful celebration
very merry indeed
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

PF --" I wish I had faith in Jeremy Corbyn to do the necessary - but to be fair to him, he's never given me any cause to have any on the EU issue ""
----------------------------------------------
VERY naughty indeed, but accurate ! :-)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PF = very naughty
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... -idea.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conclusion:
To me the anti-Corbynistas look much like those on the left in US general elections who didn’t vote, or voted for a third party, because they thought both candidates were equally bad. They focus so much on why the Democratic candidate is not ideal, they fail to see that they are much closer to their own position that the Republican. Corbyn may well do some things as PM that you do not like, but he will not stoke immigrant antagonism which fuels racism of all kinds. He will not talk about looking up at the closed blinds of their next-door neighbour sleeping off a life on benefits. He will not be content to see foodbank use explode after people get sanctioned because, for example, they have a heart attack. If you are content for those things to continue to happen, then creating a new party is a good way of ensuring they do.
Sadly I think there are probably a few anti-Corbyn types who are content for those things to continue to happen.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A lot of time and money gets spent convincing people they're better off voting against their best interests
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Trumpology, 17.13 BST

Trump invokes Nixon and McCarthy in NYT White House counsel report rant
President calls report ‘fake’ but also confirms its substance
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... itter-rant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eeeek !
The president has an acquaintance in common with McCarthy: the rightwing lawyer Roy Cohn, who worked for the senator before mentoring Trump as he rose to prominence in New York.
I didn't know that, but unsurprising , eh ?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote: I think we've now reached the tipping point - the point at which it's safe for Labour to state it's vision for the UK. Out of the EU? Or within an EU with an aim to work to change it (my own preference) to address some of the issues that many "outers" (a goodly number of whom have now changed, or are changing, their minds) had\have? I think that the EU would be open to constructive change. They know which way the wind is blowing, politically.
Apparently the Superdry chap has donated the £1m to the People's Vote campaign to pay for some serious polling, so we might all be finding out a bit more about which way the wind's blowing here.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I rather suspect i'd FAR prefer going down the pub with this 'Ed' than Jeremy C
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]KyTMO5rTOJY[/youtube]

He's recognisably a Human Being , as opposed to that other wanker who spent his life supporting every change.org petition that landed in his in-box .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Noting there has been no support for my post of 5.34 PM .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 98366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:Noting there has been no support for my post of 5.34 PM .
I don't remember him (Ed Balls) being overly helpful to the other Ed. Which is a big black mark in my book.

Having said that, I believe the time has come for Jeremy Corbyn to wake up and join the real world. He must realise that the fate of a lot of people is riding on him.

Edited - to tidy up
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 19 Aug, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Wren-Lewis.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... -idea.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conclusion:
To me the anti-Corbynistas look much like those on the left in US general elections who didn’t vote, or voted for a third party, because they thought both candidates were equally bad. They focus so much on why the Democratic candidate is not ideal, they fail to see that they are much closer to their own position that the Republican. Corbyn may well do some things as PM that you do not like, but he will not stoke immigrant antagonism which fuels racism of all kinds. He will not talk about looking up at the closed blinds of their next-door neighbour sleeping off a life on benefits. He will not be content to see foodbank use explode after people get sanctioned because, for example, they have a heart attack. If you are content for those things to continue to happen, then creating a new party is a good way of ensuring they do.
Sadly I think there are probably a few anti-Corbyn types who are content for those things to continue to happen.
The attitude of certain people within it to the Labour party has been - in the most extreme cases, for over a decade now - "if we can't run (have) you, then no one else will".

Of course, that thing said by a jealous man often leads to horrible tragedy. That hopefully won't happen here, but if not it won't be for the want of trying by some :twisted:
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

Would you please explain what it meant? (FTN has the time as 6.34pm).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Evening from China,New York,Paris,the planet Zog, smoking shelter at an industrial estate in semi Derbyshire
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AFinch wrote:
Would you please explain what it meant? (FTN has the time as 6.34pm).
Frog's in France, hence the time difference.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

HindleA wrote:Evening from China,New York,Paris,the planet Zog, smoking shelter at an industrial estate in semi Derbyshire
Is this you showing off your new phone?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Shit, didn't see the time.

It was though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Semi rural Derbyshire.I had 15 mins to cram 5 cigs in,have a cup of coffee do the crossword and post
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm left to it and basically my own boss,but I'm a strict bastard.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

How come the same vending coffee is 25p here but up to a £1 everywhere else
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... n-from-g4s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MoJ seizes control of Birmingham prison from G4S
Government steps in after report reveals shocking levels of drink, drugs and violence