Saturday 25th, Sunday 26th & Monday 27th August 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 25th, Sunday 26th & Monday 27th August 2018

Post by frog222 »

Very LONG read, so I only looked at bits of it ….

David Foster Wallace on John McCain: ‘The Weasel, Twelve Monkeys and the Shrub’
Seven days in the life of the late, great John McCain

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ub-194272/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Much good stuff !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I remembered this, on reading the article below, and it was the conclusion !
” In an ironic move, the Secret Service declared Mr Trump’s speech to the NRA at its annual convention in May a “gun-free zone”.”

David Katz: NRA suggests ‘end to gun-free zones’ after Jacksonville shooting
“The group claims allowing others to carry weapons could have prevented tragedy”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/davi ... 09886.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But which weapons Mr Katz ?
The M203 is now nearly fifty years old (I'm becoming ancient, Help!) , but could be useful for a conveniently tightly-packed squad of terrists ?

Joking apart, what is there to do to counter Trumpism/ KochBros -ism/ CitizensUnited - ism ?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:The main stage was shut down at 10 and everyone ended up wandering to the houses on my road that have set up shops and soundsystems in their gardens. I hung around for a while but the competing music totally fucked my head. There were literally 4 or 5 songs playing at the same time wherever I stood and there was no way I was buying anything from somebody sitting in their garden. Booze or drugs. Even my standards are higher than that.

But ultimately I spent the day getting wasted with some awesome people and I learned a lot more about life in Chapeltown than I would in a year if I'd just continued on being me.
I had a spell living in Chapeltown now some decades ago. Danced at the Phoenix, drank at the Hayfield and had many a BYO curry.
Them were't days.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:PTO
Excellent execution PF.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Revealed: immigration rules in UK more than double in length

Exclusive: ‘Something of a disgrace,’ says senior judge of visa system so complex it is nearly impossible to navigate

One document was published in March 2014 with 22 changes, only to be superseded three days later by a second version containing another 250 changes. The overall number of changes made to the rules since 2010 spans almost 600,000 words, running to a length greater than Tolstoy’s novel War and Peace.

The immigration and asylum barrister Colin Yeo said that “the rules are so precise” it has become essential to use a lawyer, forcing applicants to pay “astronomical” legal fees. Attempts to eliminate discretion from the rules since 2012 have instead “removed any human element, humane judgments. It’s a ‘computer says no’ exercise.(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... since-2010

Edited - to get link to work (I hope)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

despairing sigh:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/27/euro ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We are the people," a phrase used 30 years ago to call for the reunification of East and West Germany, but now frequently heard at far-right gatherings to express anti-immigrant sentiment.
Wonder to what degree these nationalists across Europe have acquainted themselves with our post-refugial prehistory.