Tuesday 4th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 4th September 2018

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:

Pto
As instructed
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Early night, all
love,
cJA
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-45403182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An expat is fighting to keep a homage to Britain he built in his garden in Germany after the Brexit vote.
The exhibition features a static army tank, telephone box and the Queen sitting at King Arthur's Round Table.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

"The static demilitarised tank, which caused the biggest issue with neighbours, is now functional and now does not need building permission," he said.
A man with some ideas for Mr H.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

And this is from Richard Angell, director of Progress, the centrist Labour organisation (rightwing in the eyes of its critics, but self-defined as “centre-left”). Angell said: (live thread)

"" Today’s decision is an insult. Labour does not know better than Jewish people about antisemitism""

What rubbish logic !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 3ab23d1900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://news.sky.com/story/most-britons ... l-11490402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some 52% disapprove of the proposed deal - known as the Chequers plan after the Prime Minister's residence at which the cabinet agreed to the plan earlier in the summer. Just 18% approve of the deal, while 30% answer don't know.
Cue polls schmolls.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Peston's 'snap judgement' live 17.57 -- " If so, most Labour MPs and supporters will see that as significant progress towards reassuring the mainstream Jewish community that the party is now serious about cutting out the cancer of antisemitism.

That said, the proof will now be how and whether the adoption of the code leads Labour to take action against those perceived to have used the language of hate against Jews.
"

He assumes there actually IS a cancer, perpetuating that Story !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace is back

Dominic Raab reduced to the lowest common denominator of stupidity

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -stupidity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AFinch
Backbencher

Post by AFinch »

One of my rare interventions.
HindleA wrote:What Corbyn wanted included but withdrew:

Thanks HindleA. Where is this from please? Rather where was it said that Corbyn wanted to include this?

I don't agree with the practice of saying the foundation of the state of Israel was/is a racist endeavor mainly because the same could be said almost any Nation State. The mere existence of a state cannot in itself be racist, but the history of its foundation?

Oh yes. Its normal.

The US
The UK
Australia
etc.

And, of course, we need not restrict this list to 'the West'.

Now does this mean we should seek the end of such states? No.

But in all cases they should be called upon to recognise that history, however uncomfortable that may be.

Some kind of 'Truth and reconciliation' process would be useful in many places other than South Africa.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Robert Preston on twitter
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:Robert Preston on twitter
https://twitter.com/Peston" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a look . I wonder to what extent the 'mainstream' are self -appointed ?

NN
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Antony Lerman is an Honorary Fellow at the Parkes Institute for the Study of Jewish/non-Jewish Relations, Southampton University. He is also a member of the Black-Jewish Forum, a member of the Advisory Committee of the Holocaust Exhibition at the Imperial War Museum and a founding member of the Jewish Forum for Justice and Human Rights and the Independent Jewish Voices steering group.
Rather than proceed with the metaphor of the IHRA text as tantamount to an untouchable holy scripture, I suggest we think about it as if it were a balloon kept aloft not with helium, but rather with the heat of righteous indignation, the constant ratcheting up of fears and accusations, the ever wilder doubling-down on painting Corbyn an antisemite and the increasingly desperate attempts to oust him from the leadership using hatred of Jews as a weapon with which to achieve this.

In any public space where proper discussion and serious engagement can take place, the weighty critique of IHRA being produced by a diverse group of people with expertise, who don’t necessarily agree with each other on all aspects and are not working together in any conspiratorial or pre-planned fashion, would successfully puncture that balloon.

But there is no such space today. Those keeping the balloon in the air use a discourse that has deeply uncomfortable echoes of the post-truth populism, the ‘we don’t trust experts’ narrative, coursing through the political and social veins in so many countries today.

Those applying their knowledge of law, political history, race and ethnic studies, experience in monitoring, studying and analysing contemporary antisemitism and so on, are largely ignored or subject to ad hominem attacks, character assassination and vilification.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/antony ... altogether" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW watched the BBC 2 We are British Jews the film twelve angry young men came to mind except it was a woman against the rest,part two next week,now in Israel interesting to see if anybody changes their mind at all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Robert Preston on twitter
[youtube]FTtrE8zLU4w[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Versatile
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In a cold calling exclusion zone.Is this common,new to me?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:In a cold calling exclusion zone.Is this common,new to me?
What - door-knocking or by 'phone? Or both? I've not heard of it, either.

Edited to add - door-knocking, presumably. Can't see how the 'phone thing would work across the board.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Door knocking,actually "control zone",notice on lamppost.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Isn't the next step to use this new rulebook definition to try to get Corbyn expelled from the party? That would be the obvious thing for the dissenters to try to do, given how they've behaved about him up to now.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

-
Attachments
51MQeb3jTwL._SX355_.jpg
51MQeb3jTwL._SX355_.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently my heart age is 143 and there is a 98% chance I died twenty years ago.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Every day is a bonus as far as I am concerned,death is inevitable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Always been a dissenter,rather essential in a functional democracy at whatever level IMHO.To question is to be.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I totally reject that statement.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:Antony Lerman is an Honorary Fellow at the Parkes Institute for the Study of Jewish/non-Jewish Relations, Southampton University. He is also a member of the Black-Jewish Forum, a member of the Advisory Committee of the Holocaust Exhibition at the Imperial War Museum and a founding member of the Jewish Forum for Justice and Human Rights and the Independent Jewish Voices steering group.
Rather than proceed with the metaphor of the IHRA text as tantamount to an untouchable holy scripture, I suggest we think about it as if it were a balloon kept aloft not with helium, but rather with the heat of righteous indignation, the constant ratcheting up of fears and accusations, the ever wilder doubling-down on painting Corbyn an antisemite and the increasingly desperate attempts to oust him from the leadership using hatred of Jews as a weapon with which to achieve this.

In any public space where proper discussion and serious engagement can take place, the weighty critique of IHRA being produced by a diverse group of people with expertise, who don’t necessarily agree with each other on all aspects and are not working together in any conspiratorial or pre-planned fashion, would successfully puncture that balloon.

But there is no such space today. Those keeping the balloon in the air use a discourse that has deeply uncomfortable echoes of the post-truth populism, the ‘we don’t trust experts’ narrative, coursing through the political and social veins in so many countries today.

Those applying their knowledge of law, political history, race and ethnic studies, experience in monitoring, studying and analysing contemporary antisemitism and so on, are largely ignored or subject to ad hominem attacks, character assassination and vilification.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/antony ... altogether" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suffering from a fortunately very rare insomnia !

Either meself or someone else will copy this post to later on today !