Friday 7th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 7th September 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 7th September 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning.

Well the Joan Ryan no confidence vote caused some ripples!

I knew very little about her. But, her lovely post-vote Tweet having a go at the Stalinists, Trots and Communists who had voted against her convinces me that she is not fit to be a Labour MP. I noticed that being retweeted by others who should know better, including Toby Perkins. Shame.

More lightheartedly, we had Jess Phillips trying to make capital from Press TV being allowed to film the proceedings. Of course, it will turn out that someone in the meeting shared some footage on social media and Press TV reposted it. But let's not let that get in the way of a good story eh Jess?

And then Today :roll:

Thankfully I missed it, but apparently Nick Robinson said that Joan Ryan had been deselected as an MP (she hasn't been de-anythinged), I believe played a podcast from Blair and then invited critical comment from David Blunkett.

:roll:

The thing is I'm not a natural Corbyn supporter, but as time goes on and I see the constant attacks and misrepresentation I become more and more loyal to him.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... ainlyMacro+(mainly+macro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)&m=1

Jeremy Corbyn and Balance
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Not reposted from social media, apparently. According to this, a Press TV journalist was at the meeting. How this came about is not clear, though. And I read elsewhere people generally were asked not to film.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps if Labour didn't provide these spectacles, people wouldn't try to video and post them. If we are to have mandatory re-selections, could they be organised centrally with proper rules and a little dignity as proper policy please and if we aren't to have mandatory re-selections can we maybe leave MP behaviour and discipline issues to the ruling body? Or is that too much to ask?

Ugly scenes, bad feeling and to what end? Joan Ryan is still a Labour MP as far as I can tell so what exactly has been achieved?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... macro)&m=1

Jeremy Corbyn and Balance
Not adopting all the IHRA examples (but with accompanying text to clarify meaning drafted in consultation with Jewish groups where possible) was a big political mistake. It created concerns in the Jewish community that the media was right to reflect. The idea that the non-partisan media’s reporting of this is just a smear campaign is nonsense.
I've no problem with the rest of this piece but I'd love to know where I can find the non-partisan media of which he speaks.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire

Not reposted from social media, apparently. According to this, a Press TV journalist was at the meeting. How this came about is not clear, though. And I read elsewhere people generally were asked not to film.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps if Labour didn't provide these spectacles, people wouldn't try to video and post them. If we are to have mandatory re-selections, could they be organised centrally with proper rules and a little dignity as proper policy please and if we aren't to have mandatory re-selections can we maybe leave MP behaviour and discipline issues to the ruling body? Or is that too much to ask?

Ugly scenes, bad feeling and to what end? Joan Ryan is still a Labour MP as far as I can tell so what exactly has been achieved?
It appears the Press TV guy is a member of the party!

Couldn't agree more that this kind of bruising spectacle is unhelpful.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Well, if he is a local member, he had a right to be there, so no mistakes or anything were made, as far as I can see. If everyone was asked not to film it was his responsibility not to and so he was out of order to do so clearly. Some action may need to be taken against him, maybe, I don't know.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Conservative GAIN Inverkeithing & Dalgety Bay (Fife) from Labour.
Though virtually unchanged share of first prefs for the Tories.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
The thing is I'm not a natural Corbyn supporter, but as time goes on and I see the constant attacks and misrepresentation I become more and more loyal to him.
Ditto.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

View remains exactly the same,then again I don't really care who happens to be the figurehead other than Norris the Belisha beacon,as he correctly says nothing compared to the onslaught and far worse consequences meted out to others for far longer and sustained
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@joncstone

Michel Barnier said he “did not just reject the White Paper outright” but that “your proposal does not seem workable to us, basically” because of “two major problems” that “we cannot accept” – Chequers proposals for customs and the single market
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I'm shocked, shocked that Parliamentarians have only just noticed that the system of student loan financing which effectively kicks writing off loans decades into the future is a "financial conjuring trick"!

Is the tuition fees 'illusion' about to unravel?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45421621
Under the current arrangements, money lent to students for tuition fees and living costs does not show up as a negative in the public finances.

As the scale of student borrowing has grown, it has become an increasingly awkward omission - with hard-hitting cross-party reports from MPs and peers saying it was stopping proper scrutiny of student finance.

Outstanding student loan debts are £118bn and rising - but when it comes to the public finances and the deficit, the cost of student loans is invisible.

In terms of the government's reporting of its finances, the cost is kicked down the road and won't appear until debts begin to be written off after 30 years.
Now, one thing that might come out of this is that the number of students being offered loans where it is not clear that their future income would allow it to be repaid might well be cut.

Not surprised that the ONS are now looking at this - pretty much the same as a company providing for bad and doubtful debts.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Barnier explains that currently customs controls are our (the whole EU) way of maintaining regulatory controls.

In the absence of an alternative means of regulation, the EU can't let go of responsibility for customs.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Conservative GAIN Inverkeithing & Dalgety Bay (Fife) from Labour.
Though virtually unchanged share of first prefs for the Tories.
It didn't happen this time, but it has been known for parties to "gain" seats in Scotland despite there being actual swings against them from the previous result.

(this is what can occur when you have vacancies under a STV system)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Barnier explains that currently customs controls are our (the whole EU) way of maintaining regulatory controls.

In the absence of an alternative means of regulation, the EU can't let go of responsibility for customs.
Beautifully clear and straightforward
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ryan's no-confidence vote is the only one thus far that has been close. Shuker was (as with Hoey and Field) censured overwhelmingly.

Stringer next, apparently......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Boris Johnson and Marina Wheeler announce divorce

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ce-divorce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isn't it startling what does and doesn't make it onto headlines or other broadcasts? That's why I've posted the link. I'm startled by what does and doesn't get attention. I knew Johnson had been married; I'd didn't know if he was currently because I didn't care enough to find out. Apparently, they've been married 25 years.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm not intending anything particularly pointed about the news outlet I've posted above, seriously.
It's a general observation.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

I found this to be an amusing read:

https://off-guardian.org/2018/09/06/skr ... f-fiction/

It begins
Luke Harding likes writing books about things that he wasn’t really involved in and doesn’t really understand. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, that covers pretty much everything. His book about Snowden, for example, was beautifully taken down by Julian Assange – a person who was actually there.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
Boris Johnson and Marina Wheeler announce divorce

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ce-divorce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isn't it startling what does and doesn't make it onto headlines or other broadcasts? That's why I've posted the link. I'm startled by what does and doesn't get attention. I knew Johnson had been married; I'd didn't know if he was currently because I didn't care enough to find out. Apparently, they've been married 25 years.
It has frequently been reported that his wife does not support all his political positions (even if this isn't as marked as his brother and Amelia Gentleman)

Marina is the daughter of veteran BBC journalist, the late Charles Wheeler - and her sister Shirin has also presented for the Beeb.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've not explained myself well enough and Johnson's divorce isn't a good example; it's just the latest thing in the news I've seen today making me think of my point
My point is this
The forensic picking apart of someone or something by most media day after day or year after year. The relative silence about someone or something by most media.
Who or what gets picked apart or relatively ignored in most media and who's deciding the focus or concealment?
That's where power is. It's not an elected position.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:I found this to be an amusing read:

https://off-guardian.org/2018/09/06/skr ... f-fiction/
:lol:
I agree
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Blair, can you just shut up? You irretrievably taint everything you touch.

(evergreen post, I know)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As ever be your own media.It's our choice what to delve into or ignore.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The fact that I ignore 99.99 rec % possibly not the best advert for such an approach.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://twitter.com/BrianCathcart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on the Muslim fostering scandal and just how bad the Times were
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There was a hedgehog mention lapse.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Here's the original story

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chri ... -3gcp6l8cs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

christian-child-forced-into-muslim-foster-care-by-tower-hamlets-council
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA it wasn't intentional but the Muslim fostering thing could hardly make your point more strongly.

Essentially, complete fabrication from the Times.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:HindleA it wasn't intentional but the Muslim fostering thing could hardly make your point more strongly.

Essentially, complete fabrication from the Times.
And one which they have faced negligible redress for.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Chris Kendall

@ottocrat
4h4 hours ago
More
A morally bankrupt blond toff
Regrets that his bets ain’t come off
He sucked up to Farage
and fucked up his marriage
It’s not just his mistress he’s boffed
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

May urged to ignore 'Three Stooges' in Brexit negotiations

Don’t be misled by Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage, warns Irish EU commissioner

An EU commissioner [Phil Hogan] has likened Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage to the “Three Stooges” and issued a stern warning to Theresa May that there would be no Brexit deal next March if she insisted on sticking to her Chequers proposal.

He said Brussels would not allow the bloc to be damaged just to save the UK “from its own silliness” and reiterated the EU position that the four freedoms forming the bedrock of the union were not negotiable. He said the only room for a special deal on deviating from the four freedoms would be in relation to Northern Ireland.

Hogan urged May not to let the Brexiters and others wreck the offer for Northern Ireland. “For an agreement to take place, the issue [of the Irish border] needs to be, as Michel Barnier said, de-dramatised. The invisible border is essential for peace – don’t listen to the Three Stooges, they don’t know the first thing about it. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ogg-farage
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Decades ago the BBC did a.programme about the RAF station my dad worked at presented by Raymond Baxter,it was strewn with basic errors,alerted at an early age to check for yourself.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Decades ago the BBC did a.programme about the RAF station my dad worked at presented by Raymond Baxter,it was strewn with basic errors,alerted at an early age to check for yourself.
I've now got that very irritating "Tomorrow's World" music going around in my head.

Your fault for mentioning Raymond Baxter. Thanks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:As ever be your own media.It's our choice what to delve into or ignore.
you can't know what you're not allowed to learn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And the phenomenon of others disagreeing on viewing on what you knew to be bollox.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Michael Rodd
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Judith Hann.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

DWP is a morass of misinformation,sleights of hand,continual revision etc,you delve into interconnections-HMRC,tribunals etc and come to a view,approximation.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

James Burke
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Connections
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

See it as a challenge.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Look for what is not said as much as is.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And why
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Look for what is not said as much as is.
Yep
I get nervous when news headlines are inconsequential
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lie down in a darkened room at regular intervals
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

With or without the theme tune of Tomorrow's World as accompaniment