Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September 2018

Post by tinyclanger2 »

slightly off topic.
Can't help noticing (via the Independent's coverage) that Danny Cat Jules is not quite as smooth on the dancefloor as I'd anticipated.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

James Melville

@JamesMelville
1h1 hour ago
More
Theresa May wants a “Festival of Brexit Britain”.

I can see it now...a village green; pissing it down with rain; marquee falls down; food runs out; morris dancers don’t turn up; a few locals start a drunken fight; Nigel Farage sitting in a Spitfire whistling The Great Escape.
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/09/29/no ... gers-cats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Northern Ireland and the Humpty Dumpty World of Schrödinger’s Cats"
Good read, though I wouldn't attempt to try explain it to myself or hopefully anyone else, even if very drunk.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

refitman wrote:Might be more app-related issues for the Tories, but not from the conference.

(Thread)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just bringing this to the new page.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@peterjukes
But here's BREAKING thing. The uCampaign App, developed by a Ukrainian military veteran, funded by US billionaire close to #CambridgeAnalytica, specifically named in @DamianCollins DCMS with 'major privacy concerns'. And yet the Tory Party still used it https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... tAnchor021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … pic.twitter.com/7Hdpe2snwQ

11:55 PM - Sep 29, 2018
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

On the other side …

” That defiance seemed to be a device to deflect substantive answers during the hearing. Mr Kavanaugh interrupted and talked over senators and sometimes asked them questions. He also sat in stone-faced silence. He acted in a manner that might compel a judge to hold a witness in contempt of court.

An exemplary moment came when Democratic senator from Minnesota Amy Klobuchar, questioned Mr Kavanaugh about excessive drinking, asking if he had ever “blacked out” after consuming alcohol.

KAVANAUGH: “Have you?”

KLOBUCHAR: “Could you answer the question, judge? . . . Is that your answer?”

KAVANAUGH: “Yeah, and I’m curious if you have.”

KLOBUCHAR: “I have no drinking problem, judge.”

KAVANAUGH: “Yeah, nor do I.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 60856.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How obviously unsuitable can you be ?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/b ... 66858.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Kielty, who was born in Co Down, took issue with the former Foreign Secretary's latest article in the Telegraph headlined 'my plan for a better Brexit'.

Patrick's father John was murdered by loyalist paramilitaries at the height of the troubles in 1988."

18. You will be remembered not as the Churchillian visionary you delude yourself to be but the ignoramus who triggered the break up of the UK
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

But it looks like the GOP will still push Kavanaugh's confirmation through, just because they can :evil:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

It’s a Brexit lie that the EU are to blame for uncontrolled immigration. Instead, the UK government are to blame for not implementing EU migration rules. David Cameron didn’t say this in the referendum as he would have been blaming himself & his then Home Secretary, Theresa May.

Christian Harris @Chalfont14 27 sept. En réponse à @JamesMelville

This is true and having lived in several EU countries, I can confirm that it works exactly like this everywhere except here in the UK. In fact, even the notion of controlling EU migration is a myth as we have no idea how many EU nationals are even here. #brexit

Just a reminder :-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/busi ... -b9vl3r9gw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaw-dropping’ profit from disability tests for Maximus

Maximus is one of three private firms that conducts tests on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions
Maximus is one of three private firms that conducts tests on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions

An American contractor has been accused of making “jaw-dropping” profits from controversial tests that assess whether people should receive disability benefits.

Earnings at the Centre for Health and Disability Assessments, a subsidiary of Virginia-based Maximus, doubled to £26m in the year to September 2017.

The company is one of three private firms brought in by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to conduct the tests, which have drawn criticism from MPs and charities.

The profit margin for the centre, based in East Sussex, surged from 8.4% to 16.1%, a rise that Maximus put down to hitting “volume” performance targets.

However, the House of Commons work and pensions committee said it had received nearly 4,000 reports of “shocking, moving, credible and consistent” failures in the testing system.

Frank Field, the veteran MP and committee chairman, said his inquiry had heard “appalling evidence about the shoddy work carried out by contractors, including Maximus, that caused real suffering to some of the most vulnerable people”.

He added: “With contractors raking in jaw-dropping profits for sub-standard work, the government will surely want to look at whether assessments would be better delivered in-house.”

“We found that huge sums of public money were being paid out, even while quality targets were being missed.”

A company spokeswoman said “Since taking over the service in 2015, we have improved the experience for everyone we assess.

“The time people spend in the assessment process has more than halved, we have doubled the number of clinical staff and consistently met the majority of our performance targets.”

A DWP official said Maximus had won the contract after a competitive bidding process, adding: “We have made significant improvements to the assessments and continually review these contracts.”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinybgoat wrote:https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/b ... 66858.html

"Kielty, who was born in Co Down, took issue with the former Foreign Secretary's latest article in the Telegraph headlined 'my plan for a better Brexit'.

Patrick's father John was murdered by loyalist paramilitaries at the height of the troubles in 1988."

18. You will be remembered not as the Churchillian visionary you delude yourself to be but the ignoramus who triggered the break up of the UK
Unfortunately he is an ignoramus who is Eton educated and can chuck big words and cod-Latinisms into his pronouncements. Which still dazzles some people :twisted:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Jessica Elgot

Verified account

@jessicaelgot
Follow Follow @jessicaelgot
More
Never mind the data breach, the #cpc18 app is the worst app I’ve ever encountered. The only result when you search for the time of the prime minister’s speech is “Nick Clegg.”
:D
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sun 30 Sep, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

HindleA wrote:https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/busi ... -b9vl3r9gw

An American contractor has been accused of making “jaw-dropping” profits from controversial tests that assess whether people should receive disability benefits.

Earnings at the Centre for Health and Disability Assessments, a subsidiary of Virginia-based Maximus, doubled to £26m in the year to September 2017.

The company is one of three private firms brought in by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to conduct the tests, which have drawn criticism from MPs and charities.

The profit margin for the centre, based in East Sussex, surged from 8.4% to 16.1%, a rise that Maximus put down to hitting “volume” performance targets.

However, the House of Commons work and pensions committee said it had received nearly 4,000 reports of “shocking, moving, credible and consistent” failures in the testing system.

Frank Field, the veteran MP and committee chairman, said his inquiry had heard “appalling evidence about the shoddy work carried out by contractors, including Maximus, that caused real suffering to some of the most vulnerable people”.

He added: “With contractors raking in jaw-dropping profits for sub-standard work, the government will surely want to look at whether assessments would be better delivered in-house.”

“We found that huge sums of public money were being paid out, even while quality targets were being missed.”

A company spokeswoman said “Since taking over the service in 2015, we have improved the experience for everyone we assess.

“The time people spend in the assessment process has more than halved, we have doubled the number of clinical staff and consistently met the majority of our performance targets.”

A DWP official said Maximus had won the contract after a competitive bidding process, adding: “We have made significant improvements to the assessments and continually review these contracts.”
I wonder how Sue Marsh feels about this?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

SuperCanadagilisticexpialidocious.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.cer.eu/insights/cost-brexit-june-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The Cost of brexit to June 2018"
The UK economy is 2.5 per cent smaller than it would be if the UK had voted to remain in the European Union. The latest update of the Centre for European Reform’s calculation of the cost of Brexit in the second quarter of 2018 shows the damage is growing even though the UK has yet to leave the bloc. The knock-on hit to the public finances is now £26 billion per annum – or £500 million a week.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://diaryofabenefitscrounger.blogsp ... b.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon. SuperCanadagilisticexpialidocious.
So now we are all going to be cognizant of this --

"The World Trade Organization (WTO) has made the most favoured nation principle part of its rules. WTO members are not allowed to favour any one country with, for example, lower tariffs on particular products without giving all members the same benefit.

Countries should also not give preferred treatment to their own products and services—which would be known as national treatment.

More about most favoured nation
he most favoured nation principle does not include preferential tariffs under free trade agreements.

For example, Canada has a free trade agreement with Korea, and many Canadian goods imported into Korea are not charged tariffs. While Korea charges tariffs on goods from its other trading partners equally, Canada does not pay any tariffs at all because the free trade agreement overrules the most favoured nation principle. As a result, Canadian goods enjoy a competitive advantage in Korea."

https://www.bdc.ca/en/articles-tools/en ... ation.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So the WTO is all about Free Trade .
Except when it's not .
I hope that is now clear :-) !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/busi ... -b9vl3r9gw

I wonder how Sue Marsh feels about this?
She is active on Twitter, so you could always ask her?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I was looking too, couldn't find a thing after 2015 on her and Maximus . (gooogle)
https://twitter.com/suey2y?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like UC the only thing to do with the WCA is to take it behind the woodpile.

With an axe .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Adrian9 January 2015 at 16:09
Who am I to judge must be my paramount reaction to this;the utter bewilderment and sadness,not least at my own naivety,is mine to deal with.All the best to you and your family."

Largely still stands.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Fun times...
Dan Bloom

Verified account

@danbloom1
6m6 minutes ago
More
Collective "OOOOOOO" in the press room - and massive applause in the hall - as Lord Digby Jones says Boris Johnson's "f*** business" jibe "showed him up for the irrelevant and offensive person he really is". Huge slapdown from the main stage.
He's not wrong but not sure Digby is in exactly the right position to be able to critique...he's come up with some fairly offensive and risible stuff.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We never had a WCA or it's predecessor,the companies get ridiculous amounts for paper only,about a quarter are,similar to PIP.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Character assassination of Jeremy Corbyn and "let's pretend Chris Grayling is competent" are seemingly today's themes at the Conservative Conference.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

[The CBI is] a grave menace to the political stability and economic prospects of the UK
-Steve Baker

The party of business, eh?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:
[The CBI is] a grave menace to the political stability and economic prospects of the UK
-Steve Baker The party of business, eh?
I had to look him up https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... quers-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's still fighting the Cold War !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm beginning to fear that Gavin Williamson will never shut up.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Character assassination of Jeremy Corbyn and "let's pretend Chris Grayling is competent" are seemingly today's themes at the Conservative Conference.
We used to do "let's pretend" at primary school, but it was mundane stuff like imagining dragons and unicorns existed. Never anything *that* fantastical.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dear me, Hunt's gone full EUSSR with this one...
Faisal Islam

Verified account

@faisalislam
Follow Follow @faisalislam
More
Very punchy speech from the Foreign Secretary @Jeremy_Hunt warning the EU not to be like the Soviet Union in dealing with countries wanting to leave
Is this how they think they'll win over the hard Brexiteers?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I think the hard Brexiters have already won?!

Tom Newton Dunn
Tom Newton Dunn
@tnewtondunn
Has the pivot begun? May: "Chequers is a free trade deal. At the heart of Chequers is a free trade deal". But No10 have previously sold it as an association agreement #Marr
10:45 AM · Sep 30, 2018
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Dear me, Hunt's gone full EUSSR with this one...
Faisal Islam

Verified account

@faisalislam
Follow Follow @faisalislam
More
Very punchy speech from the Foreign Secretary @Jeremy_Hunt warning the EU not to be like the Soviet Union in dealing with countries wanting to leave
Is this how they think they'll win over the hard Brexiteers?
He's still having problems with "the 4 pillars of the EU" I see.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Fringe group's having fun ...

” He said that the lack of housing for young people had turned an entire generation away from the party. “Why would you ever be a capitalist if you’ve got no chance of ever getting any capital?” he told the conference.”

http://uk.businessinsider.com/conservat ... kip-2018-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The armed wing of Ukip -- " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:I think the hard Brexiters have already won?!

Tom Newton Dunn
Tom Newton Dunn
@tnewtondunn
Has the pivot begun? May: "Chequers is a free trade deal. At the heart of Chequers is a free trade deal". But No10 have previously sold it as an association agreement #Marr
10:45 AM · Sep 30, 2018
She's saying whatever she thinks will best get her through the coming week, I wouldn't read anything more into it than that tbh.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

A lot of talk about overseas aid and the like. But nary a word about the Indonesian situation (that I noticed, anyway).
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@annemcelvoy
Hmm Boris tells @tshippers @thesundaytimes it's "utter balls" he has been in contact with Steve Bannon. But in our @EconomistRadio iv Bannon cites conversations with him. Link here plus quote https://econ.st/2OkOJeY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Becoming shy about the relationship ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And desperation sets in...
Alex Spence

Verified account

@alexGspence
Follow Follow @alexGspence
More
In Downing St, a spreadsheet has been compiled of “key influencers” from outside parliament — activists, tweeters, commentators — who they think might endorse Chequers. Among the names floated was Dan Hannan.
Hmm...all it needs is that video with him saying there is no question of us leaving the single market and that's his influence over.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinyclanger2 wrote:slightly off topic.
Can't help noticing (via the Independent's coverage) that Danny Cat Jules is not quite as smooth on the dancefloor as I'd anticipated.
[youtube]qt5wDZ-uZQQ[/youtube]
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

For another change, I sent this to an over-conferenced friend--

First class, all compartments had a stove --

” It didn’t seem real. The old residents of El Maitén couldn’t believe it when they heard the whistle of the old Baldwin locomotive, kept as new thanks to the few employees who had stayed in charge of the Railroad inheritance all this time. They proudly say: “We never let it die. The workshops kept working, the railways were kept in conditions, we always knew that the little train was going to be reborn…””
https://www.patagonia-argentina.com/en/ ... -trochita/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

OUR ISLAND STORY by J.'unt . 16 and 3/4

"" The real reason for our success goes beyond ... anything tangible.

It’s because of a few simple ideas that started here, on this small island, and went on to conquer every corner of the planet.

One of those simple British ideas was free trade, a stroke of genius that was written into life by Adam Smith in Glasgow and exported across the seas by the Royal Navy. ""

I'm surprised he didn't claim that "this small island" invented fresh air :-)
(And what about NI ? FFS)

From a glance at wiki -- "" The great prosperity of the Netherlands after throwing off Spanish Imperial rule and pursuing a policy of free trade[24] made the free trade/mercantilist dispute the most important question in economics for centuries. Free trade policies have battled with mercantilist, protectionist, isolationist, communist, populist, and other policies over the centuries.

The Ottoman Empire had liberal free trade policies by the 18th century, with origins in capitulations of the Ottoman Empire, dating back to the first commercial treaties signed with France in 1536 and taken further with capitulations in 1673, in 1740 which lowered duties to only 3% for imports and exports, and in 1790. Ottoman free trade policies were praised by British economists advocating free trade, such as J. R. McCulloch in his Dictionary of Commerce (1834),etc ! ""
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_trade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Latvian Ambassador to the UK isn't overly impressed by Jeremy Hunt's comparison...
Baiba Braze

Verified account

@BaibaBraze
Follow Follow @BaibaBraze
More Baiba Braze Retweeted Faisal Islam
Dear @faisalislam , just FYI - Soviets killed, deported, exiled and imprisoned 100 thousands of Latvia's inhabitants after the illegal occupation in 1940, and ruined lives of 3 generations, while the EU has brought prosperity, equality, growth, respect. #StrongerTogether
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

A little Crace ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -121011271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think that Jeremy Hunt's speech today actually ticked all the right "Brexiter" boxes. The fact that it was full of crap is neither here nor there from a Hunt advancement point of view.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

To be fair to Danny John Jules he's now 58 and has an artificial hip.

[youtube]lAeB5Q4VWGg[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:I think that Jeremy Hunt's speech today actually ticked all the right "Brexiter" boxes. The fact that it was full of crap is neither here nor there from a Hunt advancement point of view.
Of course, perhaps the main question is if it was all a bit *too* transparently obvious.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Things going really well pt xxxvii
Tories Against Brexit

@ToriesVsBrexit
Follow Follow @ToriesVsBrexit
More Tories Against Brexit Retweeted Sunday Politics West
We are suprised and horrified to hear that @juliegirling and @RichardAshMEP have been expellled from the party.

The @Conservatives has always been a broad church which has respected the variety of opinion which elected members hold. What has become of it?
#CPC18 #CPC2018
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bour-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flawed-reporting-on-antisemitism-claims-against-the-labour-party
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Things going really well pt xxxvii
Tories Against Brexit

@ToriesVsBrexit
Follow Follow @ToriesVsBrexit
More Tories Against Brexit Retweeted Sunday Politics West
We are suprised and horrified to hear that @juliegirling and @RichardAshMEP have been expellled from the party.

The @Conservatives has always been a broad church which has respected the variety of opinion which elected members hold. What has become of it?
#CPC18 #CPC2018
Weird. According to Business Insider, that happened last year?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/conservat ... may-2018-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I watched today as a middle aged woman stamped on a young man's head. I was on the bus passing through Bradford and was stopped at some traffic lights watching this fight on the street just occur. She walked up to this lad then dragged his coat over his head while the two other men with her laid into him. They got him on the floor then she started stamping on his head while laughing.

Then the lights changed and the bus drove on and I felt like all of humanity needed to be destroyed.

After that the bus I wanted to catch to get to Shipley Glen drove straight past me despite my flailing arm.

This caused me to become even more pissed off.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And that's life in this shithole before brexit.

My freind and I were discussing collecting all the fallen acorns for food but decided to leave them for the squirrels.

Grey squirrels of course.

Ask our Red squirrels about dealing with the Americans.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bour-party
flawed-reporting-on-antisemitism-claims-against-the-labour-party
About time !
" Moreover, key contextual facts about the IHRA definition – for example that it has only been formally adopted by eight countries (and only six of the IHRA member states) – were consistently excluded."

How many times did we hear "the universally accepted" IHRA definition in 31 countries ?

When iirc it was IHRA associations in 31 countries ...

The bbc may well deserve a hefty fine .