Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September 2018

Post by HindleA »

Ah just like the good old days,brings a tear to my eye.Just waiting for the tying to the furniture technique to become the norm again.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... n=sharebar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Glad you posted AH, the quiet in here was becoming a bit eerie.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have lost our way': questions of Tory identity and values hang over party
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Nottingham East CLP last night passed a motion of no confidence in their MP Chris Leslie, by an overwhelming margin.

Such was the strength of feeling (assisted by Leslie not even attending the meeting) that even a more "moderate" version of the text was clearly rejected.

It really couldn't happen to a more deserving individual.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]2EdLasOrG6c[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I've never been in doubt of the direction and values of the Tory Party to be honest.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Trouble is they don't seem to need any,as bad as each other favours them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Not saying they are#
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

-
Attachments
KaaJunglecubs.png
KaaJunglecubs.png (100.56 KiB) Viewed 7447 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://socialcarefuture.blog/news-events/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://socialcarefuture.blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ooperation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May under microscope as EU searches for signs of Brexit cooperation
Corbyn warned by EU that Labour rejecting the withdrawal agreement, presuming May agrees one, will risk a no deal Brexit. Stances can change, of course, options can open up, but this underlines what I've been saying - approving a WA guarantees transition and the possibility of a mutually agreeable future relationship. Rejecting it guarantees nothing and makes the worst possible outcome - no deal - more likely. It's a high stakes gamble. Not a choice I would like to make.
Selmayr, who is in charge of no-deal preparations and who will take control of the trade talks after Brexit day on 29 March 2019, wanted to keep open the lines of communication and keep talking. But if Selmayr was the good cop, Barnier, in the next hour-long meeting, proved to be very much the hard-hitting bad cop, willing to crack some heads to get a result. Corbyn was told that his stance made a no-deal Brexit more likely than not, sources in Brussels disclosed.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I wouldn't trust anything Boffey writes, tbh. Terrible journalist and blatantly biased.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Sky TV News poll -

More than half of voters think that "Brexit will be worse than they thought".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.engage.england.nhs.uk/consu ... r-the-nhs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Developing the long term plan for the NHS
Closes 30 Sep 2018
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Double think"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Just saw this...it's very good.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I wouldn't trust anything Boffey writes, tbh. Terrible journalist and blatantly biased.
Voting against a WA does risk a no deal Brexit, though. That's just a simple, unbiased fact. And there's no reason not to think the EU are negotiating in good faith and are being straight with us on their red lines and what is and isn't possible. They will put the integrity of the single market and the stability of the EU first. Why would they not? I'm only looking at this from the perspective of Corbyn saying he is committed to Brexit. If that is true, rejecting the WA would not make sense. Rejecting the WA only makes sense if you want to remain in the EU and there's a realistic path to achieving that. I can't see one, though, so preventing a hard Brexit, for me, is the priority. It would have been great if Labour had won the last election, but they didn't. This is the Tories' show and Labour's options are limited and mostly bad because of that. I'm sure the EU would love it if we changed our minds and decided not to leave and would accommodate that, but do you really think Labour will fight a snap election promising that? And win one with that in the manifesto? I suspect not, so Labour would reject the withdrawal bill in the hope of winning an election to then leave the EU with pretty much the same WA as they rejected. If they pull it off, great, we'll have a Labour government, but if they don't pull it off, if they don't get an election, if they don't win it......

You see, my problem with Corbyn has never been about what he wants to achieve, it's my faith in his ability to achieve it. And that's why, for me, Labour's current strategy appears very high risk. It's not that I would be unhappy with the outcome if they pull it off, it's what they are risking if they don't. May might be calling Labour's bluff with no deal, but there are others in the Tory party who are not and if they get control, they can do an awful lot of damage.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes - far too many "what ifs". I was trying to articulate these (and more) the other day. Thanks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

US groups raise millions to support rightwing UK thinktanks

Anonymous donors have given $5.6m since 2008 to groups linked to four thinktanks

Millions of dollars has been raised from anonymous US donors to support British rightwing thinktanks that are among the most prominent in the Brexit debate.

American donors are giving money to US fundraising bodies that pass the donations to four thinktanks in Britain. A Guardian analysis has established that $5.6m (£4.3m) has been donated to these US entities since 2008.

The Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), the Adam Smith Institute, Policy Exchange and the Legatum Institute have all received financial support from US backers via this route.

The disclosure leaves the thinktanks facing questions as to whether wealthy Americans have undue influence in British politics, particularly over the form Brexit takes. (Guardian)
Bit late to start telling what many of us already knew\suspected now. Still, better late than (hopefully not) too late.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... thinktanks
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
US groups raise millions to support rightwing UK thinktanks
Anonymous donors have given $5.6m since 2008 to groups linked to four thinktanks
Millions of dollars has been raised from anonymous US donors to support British rightwing thinktanks that are among the most prominent in the Brexit debate.
American donors are giving money to US fundraising bodies that pass the donations to four thinktanks in Britain. A Guardian analysis has established that $5.6m (£4.3m) has been donated to these US entities since 2008.
The Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), the Adam Smith Institute, Policy Exchange and the Legatum Institute have all received financial support from US backers via this route.
The disclosure leaves the thinktanks facing questions as to whether wealthy Americans have undue influence in British politics, particularly over the form Brexit takes. (Guardian)
Bit late to start telling what many of us already knew\suspected now. Still, better late than (hopefully not) too late.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... thinktanks
Was meaning to post that one earlier, thanks PF !
When you come to think of it we are talking about absolutely minuscule amounts of £££/$$$/€€€'s compared to the fortune of just one genuine (non-Trump) billionaire or even a multi-millionaire.
Subverting our so-called democracies is a bargain !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow 11.39 " so Labour would reject the withdrawal bill in the hope of winning an election to then leave the EU with pretty much the same WA as they rejected. ""

One of those Six Texts is so broad it really should only mean "Remain " too ... rightly described as bollocks by one Shadow, BG iirc ?

Lovely day here, out to do some winterising :-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Was it gilsey who'd posted the link to British rationing history? I apologise for not knowing; I did try to find out.
There's a current minister for rationing. Adam posted that a couple days ago. Current government won't have any problem letting most of us go hungry or without essentials, that's for sure and certain. This isn't a theoretical exercise, government will sell us all.

https://www.cooksinfo.com/british-wartime-food/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It wasn't just wartime rationing; it went on longer and it wasn't everybody. The so-called ruling class had all the food they liked. It'll happen again. Is anyone as angry about all this as I am?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've been suffering from insomnia, I've got a something wrong with a tooth (I've a dental appointment next week) and my keyboard's space bar isn't functioning as it should making my attempts to communicate that much harder. Little things for me personally against a backdrop of Tory government's minister for rationing in 2018 in preparation for their Brexit.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

#appgate?!

Tory conference appears to be imploding already.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:I've been suffering from insomnia, I've got a something wrong with a tooth (I've a dental appointment next week) and my keyboard's space bar isn't functioning as it should making my attempts to communicate that much harder. Little things for me personally against a backdrop of Tory government's minister for rationing in 2018 in preparation for their Brexit.
I've no cake to offer, I'm afraid, so you'll have to make do with a hug. :hug:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Senior Tory ministers' mobile numbers exposed in serious conference app security flaw
For those who haven't seen Dawn Foster's tweets on Twitter about the Tory app.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Good morning, everyone
Posted at 3:08PM ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
Thank you, thank you
:heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Good morning, everyone
Posted at 3:08PM ;)
tole you I wernt sleepin good
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ssion=true
Senior Tory ministers' mobile numbers exposed in serious conference app security flaw
For those who haven't seen Dawn Foster's tweets on Twitter about the Tory app.
They at least managed to get to Wednesday, last year, before the conference went tits-up. It hasn't even started this time.

Can't wait for Brandon Lewis to launch the app later!

Oh, and it seems the company they used to make the app isn't GDPR compliant. :lol: :wall:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I wouldn't mind change if it meant life and land benefiting, if it were something everyone did
Getting it foisted onto us by Tory government ('villeins ye are and villeins ye shall remain') are another matter entirely
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Brandon Lewis launching an app
everyone duck & cover
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@'Apless Conservative MPs?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Afternoon all.

Not a good day for the Os - unbeaten record gone.

Deservedly so though - we weren't very good.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis on the political risks of BINO, this is part of the conclusion.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would BINO heal the wounds opened up by the original referendum or would it satisfy no one?

A positive argument would start by suggesting that most Remainers will not mind losing any say in the EU, because they would be so relieved that we had avoided a hard Brexit. The people who should be worried about this loss of sovereignty are Leavers, but they will be more concerned with actually leaving. And both groups will be relieved it is all over.

The argument against is that BINO is clearly inferior with being a member of the EU, so Remainers will know we have done something that is clearly nonsensical. Leavers on the other hand will be convinced (by the Brexit press in particular) that this result is a sham Brexit, and therefore a betrayal of the original referendum, which is roughly how May herself has described it. As time goes on both sides will forget that the government was fulfilling a democratic mandate, and instead blame it for agreeing a Brexit that nobody likes.

I don’t see how it is possible to know which of these outcomes will come to pass, which in turn means a government that enacts Brexit is risking a lot.
I'm a bit baffled by his idea that one or the other of these will happen. Much more likely that instead of being split in 2, we'd be split in 3 or even 4.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:@'Apless Conservative MPs?
Apless Tories rule ! :-)

All a splendid recommendation for Johnsonian techno-borders in NI ! Talking of customs checks, there’s already an outstanding Fine for iirc €2.7Bn EU money uncollected on Chinese imports .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

“” Leslie is the latest in a growing list of Labour MPs to have lost confidence votes in their constituency parties. The others to have fallen foul of their local parties are the the anti-EU MPs Frank Field and Kate Hoey, and Corbyn critics Gavin Shuker and Joan Ryan.””

The author Toby Helm, describes that mob as “centre-left” !

Chris Leslie condemns Labour intolerance of critics of Corbyn
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ics-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Guardian comments surprise !
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Wren-Lewis on the political risks of BINO, this is part of the conclusion.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would BINO heal the wounds opened up by the original referendum or would it satisfy no one?

A positive argument would start by suggesting that most Remainers will not mind losing any say in the EU, because they would be so relieved that we had avoided a hard Brexit. The people who should be worried about this loss of sovereignty are Leavers, but they will be more concerned with actually leaving. And both groups will be relieved it is all over.

The argument against is that BINO is clearly inferior with being a member of the EU, so Remainers will know we have done something that is clearly nonsensical. Leavers on the other hand will be convinced (by the Brexit press in particular) that this result is a sham Brexit, and therefore a betrayal of the original referendum, which is roughly how May herself has described it. As time goes on both sides will forget that the government was fulfilling a democratic mandate, and instead blame it for agreeing a Brexit that nobody likes.

I don’t see how it is possible to know which of these outcomes will come to pass, which in turn means a government that enacts Brexit is risking a lot.
I'm a bit baffled by his idea that one or the other of these will happen. Much more likely that instead of being split in 2, we'd be split in 3 or even 4.
A hard Brexit isn't going to satisfy many people either, though, because we'll be noticeably worse off. Whatever kind of Brexit you have, a certain percentage of the population will immediately start campaigning to go back in and a certain percentage of the population will complain it's not the Brexit they voted for.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote: A hard Brexit isn't going to satisfy many people either, though, because we'll be noticeably worse off. Whatever kind of Brexit you have, a certain percentage of the population will immediately start campaigning to go back in and a certain percentage of the population will complain it's not the Brexit they voted for.
This then common Army expression from fifty years ago has unsurprisingly been running through my mind for some time . I googled it to see if I was the only one ...@CantyPhil

the biggest fuck up since Dunkirk

#BrexitIn5Words 1:38 PM - Jun 26, 2016
Last edited by frog222 on Sat 29 Sep, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It really is lets all laugh at the Tories time, lets hope that continues for the next week :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It really is lets all laugh at the Tories time, lets hope that continues for the next week :)
I've been looking forward to the Conservative Conference on the basis that a good laugh is more or less guaranteed. And they're off to a flying start (or pre-start). But after the laughter is over - then what? That's what worries me.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:It really is lets all laugh at the Tories time, lets hope that continues for the next week :)
I've been looking forward to the Conservative Conference on the basis that a good laugh is more or less guaranteed. And they're off to a flying start (or pre-start). But after the laughter is over - then what? That's what worries me.
Would worry me too if I were the worrying sort .... ..... .... but of course you're right . The EXTREME 1930's Berlin satires on 'Itler and co did not change history either .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:“” Leslie is the latest in a growing list of Labour MPs to have lost confidence votes in their constituency parties. The others to have fallen foul of their local parties are the the anti-EU MPs Frank Field and Kate Hoey, and Corbyn critics Gavin Shuker and Joan Ryan.””

The author Toby Helm, describes that mob as “centre-left” !

Chris Leslie condemns Labour intolerance of critics of Corbyn
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ics-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Guardian comments surprise !
That article is even worse than I expected, painting him as some sort of political titan who is about to be grievously lost to us :lol:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Behind paywall in Telegraph...

'We need a more robust approach': David Davis unleashes criticism of Brexit negotiations

David Davis MP, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union from July 2016 to July 2018, actually said that out loud.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:Behind paywall in Telegraph...

'We need a more robust approach': David Davis unleashes criticism of Brexit negotiations

David Davis MP, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union from July 2016 to July 2018, actually said that out loud.
I'd love it if Theresa May came out and said "You two did absolutely fuck all when you were in office so STFU!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Might be more app-related issues for the Tories, but not from the conference.

(Thread)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

'Tories using a nap to provide real-time feedback on speeches?'..(conversation) ;)