Wednesday 3rd October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 3rd October 2018

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
If the Tories don’t unite, “we risk ending up with no Brexit at all”.

May claims Tory disunity could lead Brexit being reversed.
A threat that's going to have a bigger impact on ERG rebels than remainer rebels one suspects. We're yo-yoing back to hints at a Norway deal after the hints of a FTA deal the other day.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I usually pay attention to these speeches. But I'm afraid my attention wandered off some 10 minutes or so ago.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]-qZ24rpIjwQ[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think the most I took from that is that she's probably got a new speechwriter?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

May says end of austerity in sight and spending on public services will rise (Politics Live, Guardian)
Has she told Philip Hammond?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Daily Mash has it spot on today about "British values".
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Prize for today's busiest poster --

[youtube]tbCDFNRA-Wo[/youtube]

Throwing darts at the screen is not recommended :-)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Are they going to amend 'right to buy' legislation? Why are councils going to spend money building houses they will be forced to sell at a loss in five years?
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So we are back to "parking tanks on Labour's lawn" again.

Where did we go wrong to end up with a political commentariat not just totally credulous, but with the collective memory of a goldfish?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Are they going to amend 'right to buy' legislation? Why are councils going to spend money building houses they will be forced to sell at a loss in five years?
I'd love to know how many "right to buy" purchased council homes are now in the private rental sector.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As of December'17

Just over 40%.

180,260 leasehold properties were sold by local authorities since 1980. Of those almost 72,500 are now registered with an “away address”, suggesting they are being rented out privately.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 98126.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Thank you. That's a lot.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

None of those Tories look ministerial
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Gone quiet here again?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Gone quiet here again?
In at nightfall 'ere, been clearing away felled apple trees .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:From the G:
If the Tories don’t unite, “we risk ending up with no Brexit at all”.
May claims Tory disunity could lead Brexit being reversed.
A threat that's going to have a bigger impact on ERG rebels than remainer rebels one suspects. We're yo-yoing back to hints at a Norway deal after the hints of a FTA deal the other day.
"Hints at a Norway deal" which Yanis Varoufakis has been suggesting for two years is the only one to satisfy the EU, and which they've been aiming at all along.

(PS there is already a border in the Irish Sea for womens' rights, and more ...)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" “If your dad arrived on a plane from Pakistan, you can become home secretary,” she said. Yes. And once the government’s proposed immigration plans come into force, your dad will be on the first plane back to Pakistan."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... al-success" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-scotlan ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heart drug trials halted over Brexit fears
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Gone quiet here again?
Found transcripts of May's speech today & I've read them

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-13353785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ranscript/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

May's fixation with Corbyn is creepy
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" It was difficult not to conclude that the Tory party has been gamified in a way that rewards aggressive imbecility. The signal that you wish to be taken seriously as leadership material is to say something incredibly stupid. For Jeremy Hunt, that meant declaring, pointedly: “The EU was set up to protect freedom. It was the Soviet Union that stopped people leaving.” Yes. Last year the EU was Hitler; this year it is Stalin.

Like almost every minister who has insulted the other side in this negotiation since article 50 was triggered, Hunt predicated his trash talk on the idea that the EU doesn’t have the internet, and that this sort of WTF-ery is somehow firewalled by the white cliffs of Dover.

It isn’t, as furious condemnation from the people we want a deal off has since confirmed. "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... arina-hyde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Saying that “it’s terrible what’s going on right now,” Donald J. Trump told reporters on Wednesday that “it’s a very scary time for men, because women can vote them out of office.”

“It’s very scary right now to be a man,” Trump said. “You can do or say something that women don’t like, and suddenly millions of women will come out of the woodwork and vote against you. I think it’s a disgrace.”

“It’s getting to the point where men are not going to be able to ridicule women at their campaign rallies without being terribly afraid that women are going to vote against them,” he said. “It’s a very scary time.”

Trump said that, if women are allowed to get away with voting men out of office, “No one will be safe.”
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Asian has a dark body, European is yellow for rear three segments .

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... cies-in-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may not need to know that this year, but … they are on the way .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

Lies, damn lies and DfE claims about school funding. Unbelievable...

Private school fees in minister's funding claims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45738158
The figures quoted by education ministers defending their record on state school spending also included the money spent by parents on private school fees.

This has been confirmed by the OECD think tank that compiles the international comparisons of spending figures.

Head teachers' leaders say the Department for Education is "disrespecting" schools and teachers by this "extraordinary" use of statistics.

The Department for Education accepts that the spending claim is not limited to public spending on schools - but it stands by its use of the figure as "accurate".

But the heads warn the department has "serious questions to answer" over its "veracity".

This follows the discovery earlier this week that the spending claims quoted by the Department for Education were also counting the tuition fees being paid by university students.
:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:" It was difficult not to conclude that the Tory party has been gamified in a way that rewards aggressive imbecility. The signal that you wish to be taken seriously as leadership material is to say something incredibly stupid. For Jeremy Hunt, that meant declaring, pointedly: “The EU was set up to protect freedom. It was the Soviet Union that stopped people leaving.” Yes. Last year the EU was Hitler; this year it is Stalin.

Like almost every minister who has insulted the other side in this negotiation since article 50 was triggered, Hunt predicated his trash talk on the idea that the EU doesn’t have the internet, and that this sort of WTF-ery is somehow firewalled by the white cliffs of Dover.

It isn’t, as furious condemnation from the people we want a deal off has since confirmed. "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... arina-hyde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
She still can't resist tedious digs at Labour/Corbyn, though. At the end of the day you get the feeling that she is very empty underneath the "cleverness".
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all.

Lies, damn lies and DfE claims about school funding. Unbelievable...

Private school fees in minister's funding claims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45738158
The figures quoted by education ministers defending their record on state school spending also included the money spent by parents on private school fees.

This has been confirmed by the OECD think tank that compiles the international comparisons of spending figures.

Head teachers' leaders say the Department for Education is "disrespecting" schools and teachers by

this "extraordinary" use of statistics.

The Department for Education accepts that the spending claim is not limited to public spending on schools - but it stands by its use of the figure as "accurate".

But the heads warn the department has "serious questions to answer" over its "veracity".

This follows the discovery earlier this week that the spending claims quoted by the Department for Education were also counting the tuition fees being paid by university students.
:roll:
All rather long-winded . You could have made your point more efficiently .

No ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Probably.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

A lot of the time it seems I'm living in some bizzaro fucked up parody of the real world but today really did seem to be taking the piss. I mean I witnessed some peculiar woman do a rubbish dance routine then proceed to offer ouright lies, misrepresentations, witless platitudes, risible attempts at humour, flagrant hypocrisy and wishful magical thinking to an audience of what appeared to be mostly white males in their dotage and they loved it. They were clapping and cheering and everything. In any true rational reality this would be deemed absurd and eccentric, or perhaps some form of satirical cautionary performance art. But in the one I unfortunately appear to be inhabiting it turns out this freakish creature is actually supposed to be a serious politician running her country at one of the most pivotal times in its history. It also turns out the reviews of her performance were mostly positive simply because she managed to say words and her surroundings didn't collapse around her.

Time for another roll of the quantum dice I think to see where I end up next time. Probably end up somewhere horrific like a universe where the entire thing is a musical, but at least they'd be able to dance.