Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th October 2018

Post by HindleA »

Far from a "universal" system but where it is highly pernicious and totally inappropriate
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Here's another idea.
Staedtler

@Staedtler
Oct 6
More
And Theresa May also knows - what she doesn't want her thickwitted MPs to know - that the moment she signs a withdrawal agreement, Britain becomes legally powerless.

Unable to leave because of Ireland. unable to force a new treaty.

Staedtler

@Staedtler
Oct 6
More
And as soon as her backbenchers figure that one out - and even my goldfish has died of boredom waiting for that penny to drop - they're going to ditch Brexit and her like a hot turd.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may also fall into the category of nice idea, won't happen.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I'm a bit confused by this, the idea of a "private briefing". This cut was voted through parliament, it's never been a secret, every one knew this was coming.
The average tory MP knows as much about UC as they do about the complexities of international trade? Who'd have thunk it. :D
Sort of "remember when we all voted to sneakily take lots of money off of hard working families? Well they're about to find out and will be angrily making their way to a surgery near you in the near future, just so you know.... " perhaps.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

May's article
She's a desperate and failing Tory PM
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory home secretary Sajid Javid expands powers stripping dual citizens of their British citizenship
From 2010 to 2015, 33 people were stripped of their British citizenship, all of them dual nationals, on terrorism grounds. Figures for 2015 onward have not been made available.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “Any British citizen may be deprived of his or her citizenship if the secretary of state is satisfied that it would be conducive to the public good. It is a power used for extreme and exceptional cases."
...the move does not require prior approval from a judge or parliament.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -stripping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA emphasis)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Actually quite sinisterly cunning, and engineered to wrong-foot any opponents. I mean - who wouldn't?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:@citizenJA

Actually quite sinisterly cunning, and engineered to wrong-foot any opponents. I mean - who wouldn't?
Exactly
The Tory record here is clear; who can trust them?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm having difficulty understanding 'Brexit deal' lingo bandied around by government and media these days
I think it's intentional murkiness creation
Word salad used for hanging onto leadership by keeping people confused
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... id-benefit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK carers face fraud prosecutions and fines due to overpaid benefit
Hypocrisy of the tallest order. The Tories had fits of indignation over teething trouble with Labour's tax credit payments that led to some overpayments being clawed back, yet when changes they make to how a long-standing benefit is monitored leads to a similar issue suddenly it's all the claimants fault.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The BBC World This Weekend programme’s Mark Mardell invited the Trump ‘biographer and friend’ Conrad Black for a completely predictable laudatory ‘interview’ . Actually I suppose it was the editor, but Mardell was used as a straight propaganda plug for Trump .

I did a quick check, 4.+ stars at Amazon and Goodreads ! Well, he certainly does have a fan-club . This below is all common knowledge, undisputed, but for millions of human beans it just does not matter . The only critical review —

” Most readers will find it a farcical screed as they watch Mr Black contort himself like a midway elastic man to make Trump’s lurid actions seem virtuous.

Examples abound: “He (Trump) parked a lot of dubious assets on an underinformed investing public”, made off with $44 million and shareholders were left holding worthless securities. This scam Mr Black characterizes as “. . . a skillfull navigation through apparently implacable problems”. The end for Trump and Black inevitably justifies the means.

Another is the well documented Trump University imbroglio. As Black puts it: “This was capitalism of the rawest kind – outrageous, magnificent, unethical, and amusing – and it made Donald Trump a lot of money.”. Once again money, the end, justifying the means. On November 18, 2016, Trump settles the lawsuit for $25 million, and Black brushes this issue aside as an irritant and indignity to Trump. Of course there is no mention of the victims of this scam.

Mr Black tends to avoid inconvenient details such as Trump’s five draft deferments, one for the infamous bone spurs. But has the temerity to suggest that Trump learned to be a patriot through his attendance at a military school. Combat might have been a more appropriate testing ground of his so called patriotism. ”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/381 ... ld-j-trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that's only a couple of relatively minor details in a lifetime of crime !

A new low for the beeb.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... id-benefit
UK carers face fraud prosecutions and fines due to overpaid benefit
Hypocrisy of the tallest order. The Tories had fits of indignation over teething trouble with Labour's tax credit payments that led to some overpayments being clawed back, yet when changes they make to how a long-standing benefit is monitored leads to a similar issue suddenly it's all the claimants fault.
Yet another example of Approaching Dystopia . A sensible government would write much or even all of it off ... after all the £ 's have gone into the economy so not 'lost' !
A plug for the article recced by Gilsey/Wm Keegan, very readable --
http://www.res.org.uk/view/art2Jan18comment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: A plug for the article recced by Gilsey/Wm Keegan, very readable --
http://www.res.org.uk/view/art2Jan18comment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is good, I wish I could detect any evidence that JC and JM have read it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:
frog222 wrote: A plug for the article recced by Gilsey/Wm Keegan, very readable --
HELP ! :-)

Reminds me of a business contact noting that " he was so busy , he had no time be 'proactive' ". Frontline politics is gruelling stuff, also with those incessant media demands . I think Diane Abbott had one of her meltdowns at a time when she did seven interviews on the trot ? Crazy !

You need really bright staff who are above the media fray and who can briefly summarize the data/analyses such as this. And who are not afraid to criticise !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
Wouldn't be totally shocked if at least JMcD was aware of it tbh.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Far-right populist Jair Bolsonaro leads as Brazil goes to vote

Latin America’s largest democracy was on tenterhooks on Sunday as 147 million voters went to the polls to elect Brazil’s next president, with a far-right populist leading what some call the most critical race for power in Brazilian history.

Eve of election polls gave Jair Bolsonaro, a pro-dictatorship former paratrooper, a lead of at least 15 points over his closest rival, the Workers’ party (PT) candidate Fernando Haddad, with 40% of intended votes to Haddad’s 25%. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -bolsonaro
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Gone quiet again, no night time scoops?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Gone quiet again, no night time scoops?
Impending Doom Fatigue AK , NN :-)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Went down to Derbyshire this weekend to stay with Hindle, and it's just occurred to me nothing horrible happened. I didn't speak to any racists on the bus, didn't see any fights in the street, didn't witness any of my usual Sunday horrors besides the buses being delayed in Leeds when it was cold and I was stupidly wearing shorts. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact I didn't go through Bradford today? It does seem to be the epicentre of these shitty experiences. And I'm just travelling through the place.

I haven't been out in Bradford since seeing Penny Rimbaud from Crass do some poetry and spoken word stuff in the 1 in 12 club then have some hilarious wanker give me the wrong directions to the station so I missed my last train home and had to get a taxi to Leeds.

Bradford has a long and proud left wing tradition, there are murals all over the place relating to various fights won by different groups at different times, the 1 in 12 club must be one of the last anarchist cooperative venues still running, and yet...it has beggars literaly sitting in the middle of the road at junctions.

Leeds isn't a fair comparison but even Wakefield doesn't have beggars sitting amongst traffic.

And Wakefield's a shithole.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... ation-rent

The Treasury is weighing up a new Help to Buy proposal whereby landlords would not have to pay capital gains tax when selling up to tenants who had been living in a property for at least three years.

I have never lived in a rented property in the private sector for 3 years. Not once. It's always been arbitrary rent increases making me move or Tabitha is coming back from discovering herself and needs her house back. When you're renting 3 years seems like a blissful eternity.

And frankly I wouldn't want to buy most of the places I've lived in, I'd be much happier if I could rent a decent flat at a decent price for a decent amount of time like other civilised people in Europe.

Surely that's not too much to ask?