Monday 8th October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 8th October 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 8th October 2018

Post by HindleA »

Humphrey's mistakenly stated CA was means tested,it isn't.Nearly made so by simplification and UC.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Begs the question if you are saving the State s grand a week should there even be an earnings limit?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Penalised for working too much.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or getting an education.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Along with no longer allowed to work and get housing support if homeowner,of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The stupidest thing I can think of in a variety of ways.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"simplification" isn't a principle,it is a word ;the definition this far is removal of the necessary,yet everybody 'agrees"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Treasury weighs up tax break for landlords who sell to generation rent

Thinktank draws up plan at time when 40% of young adults are unable to buy a home
(Guardian)
I recommend Sky'sGoneOut's post (the last post from yesterday).

Edited to add link -

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... ation-rent
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I checked, the minimum here for an unfurnished lease is still three years, with exceptions such as students like my granddaughter, where it is for the academic year.
https://location-immobilier.ooreka.fr/a ... determinee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Oooh look ! Shinzo Abe throws lifebelt to to the Brexiteers .

Forriners, eh ?

I was a bit annoyed hearing that on the news ... but then to check the details --

"The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal (TPP) is an agreement between 11 counties, including Vietnam, Canada, Australia and Japan. It did include the United States, but Donald Trump withdrew from the agreement last year.

Before the formal ratification of the deal, however, the Japanese leader said the pact would be "meaningless" without the United States - raising questions over its current effectiveness "
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 73691.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The negotiations must have been going on for approaching ten years, and it's still not a done deal !

It's a cold world out there .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:Humphrey's mistakenly stated CA was means tested,it isn't.Nearly made so by simplification and UC.
John Harrumphries got something wrong??

Not having that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
HindleA wrote:Humphrey's mistakenly stated CA was means tested,it isn't.Nearly made so by simplification and UC.
John Harrumphries got something wrong??Not having that.
His querulous hectoring of the Shell CEO this morning was ridiculous .
He told him off for only investing a billion quid on renewables next year !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Putting the former colonial powers in their place, an excellent listen —
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000m8v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POWER SHIFT
How power moved from West to East after the 2008 financial crisis. Ian Goldin, professor of globalisation and development at Oxford University, explores how Asian nations, especially China, demonstrated resilience, and rebounded quickly from the crisis. This led to a profound loss of faith in the ability of the Western leaders to manage the global economy effectively.
Interviewees:

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former finance minister, Nigeria
Nick Stern, former chief economist, The World Bank
Jeffrey Sachs, professor Columbia University
Kumi Naidoo, secretary general, Amnesty International
Willem Buiter, former Chief Economist, Citibank
Martin Wolf, the chief economics commentator, The Financial Times
Kishore Mahbubani, professor, University of Singapore
Justin Lin, professor, Beijing University
Adam Tooze, author of ‘Crashed’
Christine Lagarde, managing director, International Monetary Fund

Asia had its Financial Crisis in 1997, was far better prepared for 2007, and China pumped huge amounts into investment in infrastructure, creation of a Health Service, overseas aid …
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

EU still has to move if there is going to be Brexit deal, says Downing Street

I’m just back from the Number 10 lobby briefing. And, after Jean-Claude Juncker, the European commission president, talking up the prospects of a Brexit deal being reached at the end of last week, this morning Downing Street is adopting a more downbeat note. The prime minister’s spokesman told reporters:

We have always said that we are working hard for a deal this autumn, and that continues at pace.

It is worth me pointing out that there’s a difference between people talking optimistically about a deal and a deal, including both a withdrawal agreement and the future framework, actually being agreed. There remain big issues to work through and, as the PM has said, this will require movement on the EU side.

I will just make that point again that there can be no withdrawal agreement without a precise future framework.
(Politics Live, Guardian)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
Yesterday the Sunday Times (paywall) carried a story saying some Tory Brexiters in the European Research Group are so opposed to Theresa May’s Chequers plan that they have been talking about voting down the budget.
Now that would be fun. If only it were true....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Won't happen (well it won't because Chequers is effectively dead anyway, but you know what I mean)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
EU still has to move if there is going to be Brexit deal, says Downing Street

I’m just back from the Number 10 lobby briefing. And, after Jean-Claude Juncker, the European commission president, talking up the prospects of a Brexit deal being reached at the end of last week, this morning Downing Street is adopting a more downbeat note. The prime minister’s spokesman told reporters:

We have always said that we are working hard for a deal this autumn, and that continues at pace.

It is worth me pointing out that there’s a difference between people talking optimistically about a deal and a deal, including both a withdrawal agreement and the future framework, actually being agreed. There remain big issues to work through and, as the PM has said, this will require movement on the EU side.

I will just make that point again that there can be no withdrawal agreement without a precise future framework.
(Politics Live, Guardian)
Well, it would certainly be desirable to go into transition with a clear idea of what we are transitioning to, but given May doesn't have a majority in the house for any future relationship that the EU is willing to agree to, making a precise future framework a condition of the withdrawal agreement pretty much means we're heading for "no deal". And if May fails to get a deal, she surely can't carry on.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

DfE get s a slap on the wrist for providing misleading stats...

https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/ ... cation.pdf
Last week, the Minister of State for School Standards wrote that, in an international survey of
reading abilities of nine-year-olds, England “leapfrogged up the rankings last year, after
decades of falling standards, going from 19th out of 50 countries to 8th.”2 This is not correct.
Figures published last year show the increase was from 10th place in 2011 to 8th place in 2016.
Tut-tut Mr Gibb...and the funding that including stuff not related to schools comes next.

And the bit about having written four times in the past year is pretty damning.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Bloody cheek!

I renewed my Homecare agreement with British Gas last month and discovered when I got the bank statement that they'd taken the money twice.

So I rang and demanded my money back (nicely) and was told that they can do it...but it might take up to 28 days!

We had a free and frank exchange of views. Me wanting it today, him saying he might be able to do it in 4.

Of course if they allowed people to renew it online this might not happen...
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Bloody cheek!

I renewed my Homecare agreement with British Gas last month and discovered when I got the bank statement that they'd taken the money twice.

So I rang and demanded my money back (nicely) and was told that they can do it...but it might take up to 28 days!

We had a free and frank exchange of views. Me wanting it today, him saying he might be able to do it in 4.

Of course if they allowed people to renew it online this might not happen...
It's a slightly different thing, but I had this years ago with monthly payments - they set the rate they thought we'd need to pay, and over a year (without me really noticing) we built up a credit of just over £200. When I asked for the money back I got the same as you...
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I had that years ago when we first moved in - think it was the old LEB - and eventually stopped paying. They told me I couldn't despite the fact that they owed me about £180!

Having worked very closely with our Treasury team I know that companies can transfer money within minutes if they really want to.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]vpTHi7O66pI[/youtube]

From Gelion at the LT, looks good, to watch later . After inches of rain this weekend sun now shining !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I fear it would involve too much government intervention and other BAD STUFF.

And that just won't do.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Former Cambridge Analytica chief used N-word to describe Barbados PM

Exclusive: leaked papers reveal racist slur by Alexander Nix, who is pitching to run election campaigns in Caribbean (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... arbados-pm
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Correspondence

The Education Secretary's response to Sir David Norgrove's letter about the use of statistics.
Damian Hinds' response to the letter sent from the UK Statistics Authority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

8000 posts!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Majority of Tory voters in England would be happy to see UK break up as price of Brexit, survey suggests

According to research by the Centre on Constitutional Change, which is based at Edinburgh University, Brexit is “dislodging long-held red lines about the [UK] union”. It says a majority of Conservative voters in England would prefer to press ahead with Brexit even if it led to the UK breaking up. (Politics Live, Guardian)
They'd be the people who vote for the Conservative and Unionist Party, would they?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Majority of Tory voters in England would be happy to see UK break up as price of Brexit, survey suggests

According to research by the Centre on Constitutional Change, which is based at Edinburgh University, Brexit is “dislodging long-held red lines about the [UK] union”. It says a majority of Conservative voters in England would prefer to press ahead with Brexit even if it led to the UK breaking up. (Politics Live, Guardian)
They'd be the people who vote for the Conservative and Unionist Party, would they?
The UK as a thing is something which, if it were in an organisation, would be subject to a review every few years to ask the question "What is it for and Is it fit for purpose? Do we actually need it? What might happen if it weren't here?"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

The UK as a thing is something which, if it were in an organisation, would be subject to a review every few years to ask the question "What is it for and Is it fit for purpose? Do we actually need it? What might happen if it weren't here?"
Fair point. But spare a thought for Arlene Foster. After all, she needs the money . . .

Edited to add -

I don't think I'd feel safe if I were condemned to "England". Bit like now, I suppose . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Actually, if that survey is anywhere near correct, I'm spitting nails. Has anyone sought out a response from the Conservative Party? The whole Brexit charade. Apoplexy imminent.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Something I said?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 74561.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"MPs may not see Theresa May’s fresh Brexit plans before she asks EU leaders to agree to them, Downing Street admits"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinybgoat

I was beginning to develop a complex.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 74561.html
"MPs may not see Theresa May’s fresh Brexit plans before she asks EU leaders to agree to them, Downing Street admits"
What would be the point in doing that?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 74561.html
What would be the point in doing that?
Maybe they're like wedding dresses?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://eureferendum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Brexit: internalising the issue"
Reporting of the key issue of our times gets more bizarre by the day. The latest contribution to the cacophony is the Telegraph , telling us that Ministers are in talks with as many as 25 Labour MPs "to force through Theresa May's Chequers Brexit deal"...
...Here, there is no shame or weakness in conceding that one doesn't have the first idea of what is going on. When the situation is in flux, when there are no official statements to work on, and the key players are staying schtum , those who claim to have an inside track (not that many do) are simply deluding themselves.
Not just me,then. :(
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, I freely admit that I've lost the plot.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]i7d0Lm_31BE[/youtube]

Although I enjoyed Twin Peaks. Unlike "Brexit".
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Hmm, wasn't Twin Peaks cancelled after a 2 year run, due to declining ratings?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Off topic but this made me laugh out loud :lol:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/art ... 1008178117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nobody-told-us-shed-be-from-fking-yorkshire-say-outraged-doctor-who-fans
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:Hmm, wasn't Twin Peaks cancelled after a 2 year run, due to declining ratings?
Yes.

(Albert Rosenfeld(?) was my favourite character. Just thought I'd throw in that unsolicited piece of information . . .)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]wdUToO1MbEw[/youtube]

No cherrypicking . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
I liked Twin Peaks so much when it first came out that I went out and bought it, one VHS cassette a month, when I first graduated and found myself in a school-leaver-paid job. When I bought the 'gold' DVD box set a while ago it was cheaper than the price of even one of the eleven cassettes I originally bought.
I still believe in a town called Hope