Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th October 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th October 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th October 2018

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morning, anybody out there?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... the-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Following a public consultation, the government has confirmed that the current mix of coins and notes will remain.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well that's a relief.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ppease-dup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Revealed: secret Brexit plans to appease DUP with transition extension
Interesting speculation, though probably just filler as we wait to see what May will ultimately bring to parliament. The closer the deal is to Labour's proposals of leaving the SM but remaining in a CU, the bigger the gamble of rejecting May's deal becomes. Worthwhile, perhaps, if the goal is preventing Brexit altogether and there is a realistic prospect of doing this, without risking dividing the country further, but to risk a no deal Brexit for the chance, but no guarantee, of Labour negotiating a similar deal....

We need to get the Tories out, but if jeopardizing our economy and our relationship with the EU is the potential price of attempting to engineer the opportunity to do so....

I suppose it all depends on whether or not you believe the Tories would actually allow us to crash out. Given the great effort over recent years to recast the UK in the US' image, the sanctions for ill people, the cuts to benefits for children, the systematic destruction of vital infrastructure through lack of investment, privatisation and asset stripping.....it's quite difficult, tbh, to have faith in the Tories knowing what is too far, in knowing where to stop.

Austerity was a textbook application of the shock doctrine and a no deal Brexit has potential to deliver similar benefits to the wealthy and powerful on a whole other level. Pre-Trump I wouldn't have ever considered it a possibility and I still think it pretty remote, but I can't discount it completely. The current generation of Tories are pretty horrendous and very dangerous in both aims but also competence. What they may ultimately balk at doing deliberately they are still capable of doing by accident and that always remains a concern.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Freeze is by far the most pernicious exponentially especially for the (so called evidentially not)protected with no options,therefore shouldn't be prevaricated upon as to ending beyond and beyond any debate to end IMHO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Any options that reasonable people should think acceptable of course increased institutionalism in both direct and indirect terms is acceptable to some if not advocated.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"progression" in my terms is always a continual battle,not least in the narratives used,sometimes reverse,stalling,wrong way,satnav gone awry but the direction generally at least worked towards;sadly the fact of "debate" indeed back to square one in too many ways.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

"Progressive" really has become horrifically meaningless as a political descriptor.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

It's worth thinking about what 'no deal' or crashing out might mean, because there are probably quite different versions of it. There is a purists version discussed by the ERG which seems to involved just walking away, fuck'em, but the government have talked about making sector-specific arrangements about things. The point of that is it still appears to be overwhelmingly likely that the only agreements the EU states will reach with us about these things are the same agreements they have with other third countries - third country status, no say, payments in and ECJ oversight. A sector by sector Norway, if you like. I still think the best riposte to "you really think business will allow planes to stop flying on March 30th" is "you really think the rest of the EU states will say 'it's okay, we will go to the time, trouble and expense of keeping to the rules, you can do whatever you like with no consequences'."

There's a pretty good piece by Ian Jack in the guardian today -

Like Banksy’s artwork, the United Kingdom is shredding itself in public
Throughout the years of imperial retreat and deindustrialisation, that belief [British - or English - exceptionalism] has shrunk, though most people of my generation, including me, can still find some recalcitrant traces of it in our tastes, interests and prejudices. It persists at its most florid in the popular press and, more crucially, almost as a founding belief in the Europhobic wing of the Conservative party and throughout Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist party. These parliamentary groupings, with a total of no more than 50 to 70 MPs, at present seem to have the future of the United Kingdom under their thumb.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Also should I have mentioned that yesterday was my birthday or did you think the cake was for the wedding?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... trueFreeze is by far the most pernicious exponentially especially for the (so called evidentially not)protected with no options,therefore shouldn't be prevaricated upon as to ending beyond and beyond any debate to end IMHO.
Wickedly, Osborne&Accomplices' 'Austerity' is not only alive and well, but growing

" Attention has focused on the damaging consequences of universal credit for poorer families in recent days, with comparisons to the Thatcher government’s poll tax from two former prime ministers, although the freeze on benefits has much wider-reaching consequences for millions of people.

Alongside preventing increases in universal credit payments, the freeze also blocks real-terms rises in child benefit, tax credits, housing benefit and jobseeker’s allowance, which are paid out to far more people.

About 7.3 million children across the UK, 2.4 million disabled people and 800,000 people looking for work are affected by the freeze."

The 30 or so Tories calling for a belated freeze on UC now have something else to occupy them (if they want to be re-elected) ...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

:oops:

Belated happy birthday adam, I hope you had a lovely day.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote::oops:

Belated happy birthday adam, I hope you had a lovely day.
:)
That really wasn't meant to be a 'memememememe' post, it's just I thought the wedding thing made it quite funny.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I just thought it was a random cake. :oops:

Happy birthday adam!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

FFS.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ree-stokes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The charity Medical Justice, which works to protect the health of immigration detainees, said it encountered up to three cases a month of the Home Office proceeding to remove people deemed medically unfit to fly.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Happy birthday (for yesterday) adam! 21 already?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:FFS.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ree-stokes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The charity Medical Justice, which works to protect the health of immigration detainees, said it encountered up to three cases a month of the Home Office proceeding to remove people deemed medically unfit to fly.
FFS indeed, but one ceases to be amazed . Also, historically Cruel Government is unfortunately not thus far limited to the Tories, as Windrush and WCA's were not invented by them.
Have to go out, so parking this to read later . Looks good .

Former Chief Economist at WTO: no-deal Brexiteers are playing fast and loose with the facts
A WTO Brexit would be wrenching, costly and fraught with uncertainty

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/econ ... -the-facts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's another article from september arguing the opposite !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Also should I have mentioned that yesterday was my birthday or did you think the cake was for the wedding?
Actually - yes, I did. (Although I didn't think for one moment that it was in celebration - but a sardonic, counter-wedding cake.)

Happy belated birthday!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I see that Jeremy Corbyn has changed his name to Tom Tugendhat. The bounder!
UK must reconsider Saudi relations if state ordered Khashoggi murder, MP says

Tugendhat said it was important to establish the facts, but that if Riyadh had murdered Khashoggi or sanctioned his killing there should be a downgrading of diplomatic relations and a boycott by UK ministers. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -tugendhat
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Top climate scientist blasts UK’s fracking plans as 'aping Trump’

James Hansen, ‘father of climate science’, accuses Britain of ignoring science (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... king-plans
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetor ... seats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A candidate shortage strikes Conservative target seats"
Shame.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.conservativehome.com/thetor ... seats.html
"A candidate shortage strikes Conservative target seats"
Shame.
Given the ever shrinking membership of the Tory party it would be surprising if they didn't have problems finding enough suitable candidates. How do they keep finding so many people to vote for them, that's the real question. Is it just Brexit now holding the decaying conservative cause together? And what happens when Brexit is in the past, how do they drum up a majority out of their failed ideology and economic mismanagement then?

Edited to add - maybe best not to try to answer that last question. Might be a bit depressing, I suspect.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Indeed, anybody up for "Culture Wars Redux"?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

So eight years of pushing academies and free Schools and not one single good word to say about LA maintained schools and...
Nick Gibb

Verified account

@NickGibbUK
12h12 hours ago
More
The power of academy sponsors to transform the lives of pupils who would otherwise be left in failing schools, described in beautiful detail: https://www.tes.com/news/welcome-most-c ... ol-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

The choice is clear: inspirational heads like @BarryNSmith79 and MATs CEOs like @Rachel_deSouza or ideology.
...it's other people that are ideological.

:wall:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Leaked emails reveal DUP chief ‘ready for no-deal Brexit’

Arlene Foster believes crashing out of EU is ‘most likely outcome’, following hostile meeting with Michel Barnier

Theresa May has been told that the DUP leader, Arlene Foster, is now “ready” to trigger a no-deal Brexit and regards this as the “likeliest outcome” following a “hostile and difficult” exchange with the EU’s chief negotiator, an explosive set of leaked government emails reveal. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... outcome-eu
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
adam wrote:Also should I have mentioned that yesterday was my birthday or did you think the cake was for the wedding?
Actually - yes, I did. (Although I didn't think for one moment that it was in celebration - but a sardonic, counter-wedding cake.)

Happy belated birthday!
Happy Birthday, adam!

I thought the cake a satirical combination of cherry picking Brexit and royal weddings
I'm sorry
I didn't think to check my growing collection of journals from years before now
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Leaked emails reveal DUP chief ‘ready for no-deal Brexit’

Arlene Foster believes crashing out of EU is ‘most likely outcome’, following hostile meeting with Michel Barnier

Theresa May has been told that the DUP leader, Arlene Foster, is now “ready” to trigger a no-deal Brexit and regards this as the “likeliest outcome” following a “hostile and difficult” exchange with the EU’s chief negotiator, an explosive set of leaked government emails reveal. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... outcome-eu
How does Foster's parliamentary constituency feel about that?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

dishwasher loading tips article & comments below the line

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... er-tablets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Labour MPs reveal they are ready to rescue Theresa May's Brexit deal in Commons vote"
Labour MPs told The Independent that at least 15 could rebel against Mr Corbyn and back the government, which could be enough to tip the balance in the Commons in favour of the deal.
I could understand logic behind some of the possible reasons given such as 'not wanting to risk a no deal exit', 'not wanting to appear ant-brexit', 'possibility that deal is acceptable' ..
but not
Another said Labour could not credibly oppose a deal that had the support of all 27 other EU countries. “The idea the Labour Party should block a deal that is backed by the likes of Merkel, Macron and the rest of the 27 is ludicrous.”
Presuming the 27 would accept either of the options that have been on offer from the outset (and ignoring possiblity of some other bespoke deal), it's down to whichever option Theresa May opts for and whether parliament accepts that as being in the best interests of the country.
Accepting it 'because the 27 have backed it' it is just nonsense,
(unless process is that once they've accepted a deal, there can be no further discussion).
edit: I keep forgetting that it's just the withdrawal agreement that's being accepted at this stage & future relationship is likely to be quite woolly, but think my rant possibly still valid :?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

citizenJA wrote:dishwasher loading tips article & comments below the line

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... er-tablets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never heard of 'Dishwasher Tetris' before. ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... le-hardest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re UC .Of course there are some gainers,part inevitable part justification for overall misanthropy,as per the better off for the not expected to work,a hollow laugh, granted in what was our situation and ignores reduction in other support and other "reforms".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The removal of possibility of work is immoral and highly regressive,the Tory view(though by no means confined to) of sufficiently pathetic who must be "looked after".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And controlled of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And controlled of course.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well "up to 15" is down from the "up to 30" that was floated earlier in the week. I expect the number to decline further.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Diane Hain #FBPE

@dianehain
1h1 hour ago
More
There’s no way any of us should be subjected to the ramblings of Daily Mail’s Sarah Vine who just reduced Tory EU infighting to ‘men waving their Willy’s around’, omitting the fact that one of those ‘dicks’, is her husband Michael Gove.

#Marr
:lol:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-troubles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the government is unable to reach a deal with the EU, 31% of respondents said the UK should leave without a deal and with no further votes, 23% said there should a second Brexit referendum, 14% said there should be a general election and 13% said the government should try to extend the negotiation period beyond March 2019.
13% of people have been paying attention. ;)

A stark illustration of how the hard Brexit wreckers could win out. For them to succeed all that is needed is for their opponents to do nothing and their opponents are woefully divided on how to proceed.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Cleverly was doing a fne job of trying to claim that this didn't mean he was actually a member...
General Godfrey Bloom
‏@goddersbloom
Follow Follow @goddersbloom
More
The Conservative Party have relented.
My membership card arrived today.
I suspect the personal intervention of David Davis.
Membership number 528905543
Haltemprice & Howden.

More I suspect on this soon.

3:19 AM - 13 Oct 2018
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

On this at least Mr Non-Nominative Determinism may be right, however. Apparently getting a Tory membership card is automatic, and doesn't mean your application has been accepted.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

That seems slightly bizarre to me - send a membership card out before then doing a check with the possibility that you might rescind it later.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Not a bad article - and quite an entertaining one - from Andrew Rawnsley. It does rather increase my exasperation with Jeremy Corbyn, though.
Will Mrs May’s ‘bastards’ really risk destroying their own government?
Andrew Rawnsley (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... government
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Not a bad article - and quite an entertaining one - from Andrew Rawnsley. It does rather increase my exasperation with Jeremy Corbyn, though.
Of course, a cynic might suspect that was not accidental.......
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I don't think that's any different from Labour. You get a welcome pack and membership card when you sign up but it's provisional for the first 3 months so you can't vote at local meetings initially until your membership is approved.

Isn't the real embarrassment for the Tories that Godfrey Bloom would want to join their party? That's surely bad enough in itself, even if they reject him and it will be interesting to see on what grounds they would reject him. They can hardly argue he doesn't share their vision and values, not these days. :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

EU leaders line up 'no-deal' emergency Brexit summit for November

EU leaders are set to hold an extraordinary “no deal” Brexit summit in November to deal with the potential disaster of the UK crashing out of the bloc should Theresa May fail to deliver decisive progress on the Irish border issue this week, the Guardian can reveal.

A special meeting of heads of state and government at which the EU had hoped to finally sign off on the Brexit negotiations next month will instead be turned into a emergency summit to discuss the bloc’s response to a cliff-edge Brexit.

The plan is set to pile further pressure on the prime minister by illustrating the EU’s seriousness about allowing the UK to crash out if the alternative is a deal that would undermine the integrity of the single market, or prove to be unacceptable to the Republic of Ireland. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-november
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.activityalliance.org.uk/how- ... ivity-trap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently ,I stayed where red red wine was filmed,a re-opened in near where the studios were.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That post probably means I will miss planned train,I blame the Tories.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In truth I should have checked the finish was the same place at the start.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Finally got my passport renewed,next year mainly abroad in coughing fit/staggering through streets biathlons.Subject to the obvious .