Wednesday 14th November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 14th November 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 14th November 2018

Post by HindleA »

Damn,so close but cigar
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A record high number of governmental "record high"statistical certainties.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Purple Tuesday followed by As you were Wednesday,you got a fucking day what more do you want?k'nell.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mate got mugged on the way home,yesterday early morming.Broken jaw.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The sheer hypocrisy of government particular the DWP,highest complaints,inaccessible assessment centres etc.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:Mate got mugged on the way home,yesterday early morming.Broken jaw.
:-(

That happened to me once
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Usual busy Wednesday in store...

Given my observations yesterday this would appear to be where the CQC should be focusing its efforts. It'll be interesting to see when the CQC first acted to do something about this given they've been around as a body since 2009.

Shropshire baby deaths: Review cases rise to 215

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-46202621
A review into mother and baby deaths at two NHS hospitals has now identified more than 200 cases, after being widened for a third time.

Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust said 215 families had come forward alleging maternity errors.

The independent review, commissioned by Jeremy Hunt in 2017, was initially focussed on 23 deaths.
Let's wait and see what the review turns up.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Remembering this line from the leaked "grid".
Lining up lots of former foreign secs to come out in support and Mark Littlewood of the IEA.
Well it didn't seem to go too well from the IEA, but we have got William Hague ;-)

Now just waiting for Leo Varadker (sic.), the PM of Japan, Andy Burnham and the rest to endorse it :twisted:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all. Usual busy Wednesday in store...

Given my observations yesterday this would appear to be where the CQC should be focusing its efforts. It'll be interesting to see when the CQC first acted to do something about this given they've been around as a body since 2009.

Shropshire baby deaths: Review cases rise to 215

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-46202621
A review into mother and baby deaths at two NHS hospitals has now identified more than 200 cases, after being widened for a third time.

Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust said 215 families had come forward alleging maternity errors.

The independent review, commissioned by Jeremy Hunt in 2017, was initially focussed on 23 deaths.
Let's wait and see what the review turns up.
It's opening up to cases back to 1998, when my elder daughter was born in one of the Trust's hospitals in a very problematic birth that, thankfully, ended up absolutely fine. It's playing out at the moment amongst a continually cycling review of provision across the trust that has been running since about 2010, that has seen maternity and children's services move from one hospital to the other and then back again, that has seen A&E provision move and change and currently facing overnight shutdowns, and which at present sees the Trust moving into special measures.

It's a mess - and all of the local Labour parties have come together with a joint policy that we need two comprehensively functioning general hospitals whilst the government and the authorities seem happier trying to play the two towns off against each other as an us-v-them fight. Sadly some of the headline figures within the local labour parties are not necessarily very good at keeping to that party line - to the extent that one of the parties has been told that national support, with lots of visits and engagement, is available so long as the PPC understands the importance of keeping to party policy.

(It's interesting as well because it's the kind of argument that would be made to show that momentum etc are taking over and refusing to allow local candidates to take their own path within the broad area of national party policy, when in fact it's about local candidates going out of their way to ignore locally decided policy on local issues).
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... able-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://inews.co.uk/news/scotland/scott ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Sammy Wilson (DUP) talking (on TV news) about the EU delivering a "punishment beating". He used the term "punishment beating" at least three times - seeming to relish its use.

Edited to add - gave me a bit of a turn . . .
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 14 Nov, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Remembering this line from the leaked "grid".
Lining up lots of former foreign secs to come out in support and Mark Littlewood of the IEA.
Well it didn't seem to go too well from the IEA, but we have got William Hague ;-)

Now just waiting for Leo Varadker (sic.), the PM of Japan, Andy Burnham and the rest to endorse it :twisted:
That one in particular always amused me :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Missed this, from Observer, Sunday:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"TaxPayers’ Alliance concedes it launched smears against Brexit whistleblower"
In a development that lawyers have described as “almost unprecedented”, the group has also conceded that it illegally vilified Sanni on the BBC in coordination with a network of other “linked” organisations.
Details of the alliance’s relationship with Downing Street and the role of
Stephen Parkinson , Theresa May’s political secretary, will now not be heard in court. A separate claim by Sanni against Downing Street is still ongoing.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Corbyn excellent in PMQs today, it seems.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Corbyn excellent in PMQs today, it seems.
If skewering May for not delivering the hard Brexit she promised is what you mean by excellent then yes, he was.

Andrew Sparrow put it like this:
There is a certain irony in Corbyn using a European Research Group attack line against May, but that didn’t really undermine the point he was making
Except the point he seemed to be making would surely undermine Labour's own policy of remaining in a customs union?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Laura Kuenssberg
‏@bbclaurak
1h1 hour ago
Cabinet ministers arriving - all pretty grim faced
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Rumours that both Mordaunt and McVey are on the brink of chucking it in.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Robert Peston on implications of May's deal for financial services (something we've heard precious little about re Brexit given its importance to our economy):

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robert Peston
Robert Peston
@Peston
The City - investment banks in particular - have got most of what it wanted from May's Brexit plan. Hands up who is pleased, angry, surprised?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May will be making a statement later (BBC News).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@PF everyone on Twitter agrees this means she's got it through Cabinet

According to the "grid" she's now off on Sherpa meetings around Europe. What does that actually mean?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes - I agree that this means she's got it through. No agreement = no podium, I reckon.

Edited to add - Sherpa meetings? No idea.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I wish commentators would stop referring to it as "a deal". It isn't a deal. At best (on what I've heard) it's a holding pattern with all the uncertainties merely prolonged.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Beth Rigby

@BethRigby
Replying to @BethRigby

May expected to make a statement after cabinet (Reuters reporting 5pm). Some sceptics might think she’s trying to get her version of cabinet out before her Brexiteer cabinet ministers.... again, let’s see 2/2
3:57 PM - Nov 14, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, hang on - there's a delay . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

This, from Andrew Sparrow (Guardian):
At this rate we may have fallen out of the EU anyway by the time it wraps up ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
If skewering May for not delivering the hard Brexit she promised is what you mean by excellent then yes, he was.

There is a certain irony in Corbyn using a European Research Group attack line against May, but that didn’t really undermine the point he was making
Except the point he seemed to be making would surely undermine Labour's own policy of remaining in a customs union?
David Allen Green was impressed, given his track record that is surely worth a mention.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

According to the BBC correspondent, part of the delay is because "it's a very dense document".
And an even denser Cabinet, he might well have added.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The press conference is off (BBC).
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Go easy on that popcorn ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:The press conference is off (BBC).
Or perhaps not, now being claimed the PM may appear "after the cabinet meeting is concluded". Whenever that might be.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]ncbEucjsNFU[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Laura Kuenssberg

@bbclaurak

Senior tory tells me Brexiteer anger so high that seems likely there will be a call for no confidence vote tomorrow - letters going in -
6:09 PM - Nov 14, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

David Allen Green was impressed, given his track record that is surely worth a mention.
The bit about May's deal not allowing the UK to negotiate its own trade deals - because of staying in a customs union, Labour's policy - was good in attacking May for not delivering on her stated Brexit aims, but came across as criticising her for not going hard enough, rather than for pursuing the wrong policy in the first place. At least it did to me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Laura Kuenssberg

@bbclaurak

Senior tory tells me Brexiteer anger so high that seems likely there will be a call for no confidence vote tomorrow - letters going in -
6:09 PM - Nov 14, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
The line now seems to be this is "imminent", but (er) won't happen "immediately". What was that from St Augustine again?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Internet connectivity problems and Linux operating system update failure downloading has kept me away from news.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A co-worker in the US got robbed at gunpoint a dozen years ago. He handed over the wallet kept for just such an encounter. It shook him up though.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Liked this --

" “FOX News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter’s press credential. We intend to file an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court. Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized. While we don’t condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the President and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people.” "
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
Jennifer Rankin
@JenniferMerode
Barnier on citizens' part of Brexit agreement: "They will be able to live their lives as before in their country of residence."

8:08 PM - Nov 14, 2018
And this is what is at stake if Parliament votes the agreement down. More uncertainty for those caught in the middle.

It is not an easy choice and I don't envy those (who genuinely care about what's best for the country) who have to make it. There are a lot of Corbyn supporters on social media chatting happily about the prospect of a general election if May's deal is rejected. Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood? I can't help feeling it's one of the less likely outcomes, but I don't know. And Labour's own Brexit policy would come under far more scrutiny this time around than in 2017. Would their current support survive them getting off the fence?I

I'm not knocking anyone's predictions of what will happen, anyone's guess is as good as another's, I'm just a little surprised by the certainty with which some quite convoluted series of events are being asserted as bound to happen.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Arlene Foster is definitely not going to like it! (If there was any smidgeon of doubt.)

Edited to add - eg labels saying NI. She'll be cut to the quick. I know it seems "trivial"(ish) but it rather goes to the core of her political beliefs in a very obvious to everyone fashion. Bit of a slap in the face.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow 8.32 - this disenfranchised one is quite interested too :-)

I ought to be OK after 36 years here by brexit-time, but the brits don't have a monopoly of malevolent bureaucrats .

Crace https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... re-at-last" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Former EU Trade Commissioner on the reality of “vassalage”, been there , inflicted it ...

https://www.ft.com/content/65bffd82-e73 ... 56e7163c11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes. It's him ! The Prince of Darkness arguing for another Vote of the People
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Has Arlene Foster arrived at 10 Downing Street yet? She was meant to be going there for a meeting with Theresa May (8.30pm-ish) but I've not heard anything of late.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:snippity snip snip There are a lot of Corbyn supporters on social media chatting happily about the prospect of a general election if May's deal is rejected. Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood? I can't help feeling it's one of the less likely outcomes.
I think that there's a serious chance that the confidence and supply arrangement with the DUP will come to an end and she will now be running a real minority government, but if the question came to a head - and it would have to specifically come to a head - that doesn't mean that either the DUP or whatever group(s) of her own backbenchers she had pissed off would actually vote to bring the government down. It seems very very unlikely to me. We could even see a fairly absurd stalemate situation, where she fails to get legislation passed but then wins confidence votes.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Heather Stewart

@GuardianHeather

Don't stand down quite yet, Brexit-watchers - only one source, but hearing we may yet see a senior ministerial resignation tonight.
9:33 PM - Nov 14, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Please let it be McVey!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:Please let it be McVey!
As you were -
Heather Stewart

@GuardianHeather

No *do* stand down (I think...)! Had heard the Brexit secretary was on the brink, but friends say absolutely not. Let's all reconvene tomorrow, shall we? (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Faisal Islam - Sky TV News -

Theresa May is currently in a meeting with Jeremy Corbyn.