Friday 16th November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Friday 16th November 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning ;-)

Funny - the topic autofilled itself. Almost liked I'd typed Friday 16th November 2018 previously......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 16th November 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... parliament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"The requested post on lost glasses does not exist"
My speciality is looking for them when they're already perched on top of my head ...

PS Thanks to SKY for the report :-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Anyone catch the first one of Inside The Foreign Office last night?

I found it very interesting and quite entertaining - especially Boris' first address to the FCO staff - there were some pictured who clearly were in no mood to applaud when he was introduced and his little speech was cringeworthy stuff.

The staff must have been thinking "What have we done to deserve him?"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Gove has clearly decided he likes the ministerial car and trappings of office too much to want to give them up.

Cue cries of "Traitor!" from Brexiteers...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.
Anyone catch the first one of Inside The Foreign Office last night?
I found it very interesting and quite entertaining - especially Boris' first address to the FCO staff - there were some pictured who clearly were in no mood to applaud when he was introduced and his little speech was cringeworthy stuff.
The staff must have been thinking "What have we done to deserve him?"
No TV here, but cringeworthy sums it up !
'' For those who know what happens next, which is everyone, there are almost Shakespearean levels of dramatic irony in its opening scenes. Foreign Office staff are summoned to the grand Durbar Court to hear from the foreign secretary, a few days after the general election in which his government committed slow-motion harakiri, heralding his arrival with the kind of subtly underwhelming applause of which only the professionally polite are truly capable. "
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 35801.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a waste of time , for the staff, :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

If you believe in the 'Swiss model' for Brexit, I need to give you a reality check from Switzerland
'Switzerland did have a vote, which almost led to us ripping up one of our main treaties with the EU – but because we nearly always vote again after an initial referendum, we didn't end up following that path of destruction'

"Another particularity of the Swiss system is that whenever a popular referendum or initiative is approved by the people, our parliament then has to decide how to draft a law to implement it. In doing so, they have to make sure it can be enforced and that it does not contradict other laws and treaties. Sometimes, that seems impossible. So in order to respect what they believe is the “will” of the people, they take the liberty of interpreting very loosely the terms of the referendum. (Does that ring a bell?) "

One difference I've noticed in comments , media, is that it appears that many Brits, or is it just the English,, think of voting as a chore ?

The Swiss work harder at their democracy ? Is there much less of the two deaf people shouting at each other of other systems, or rather a sensible structure for moderating it ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/br ... 33416.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://cer.eu/insights/what-happens-if ... rexit-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WHAT HAPPENS IF PARLIAMENT REJECTS MAY'S BREXIT DEAL?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Gove has clearly decided he likes the ministerial car and trappings of office too much to want to give them up.

Cue cries of "Traitor!" from Brexiteers...
Andrew Lilico was on that case yesterday afternoon......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Simon Fraser

Verified account

@SimonFraser00
5h5 hours ago
More
David Davis was a terrible #Brexit Secretary. He could hardly be bothered to go to Brussels & rapidly lost respect there. Preposterous for him now to suggest that EU deliberately delayed negotiations. They spent months waiting for him to engage..
The quality of people put in that key position is just alarming and has led to where we are now.

It's almost comical that Brexiteers claim that it is Remoaners fault...

Edit - and you can see why No 10 was forced to take the lead on negotiations.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Somebody on BBC 5Live had Nadine Dorries on after midday, and she was allowed to spout on about

"the rest of the world apart from the EU operates on WTO terms" !

I only listen very recently to it, sociological experimenting, as John Pienaar and some others are quite good, but that was total unopposed garbage . I'll check on the listening figures !

EDIT 5 listeners million a week https://media.info/radio/stations/bbc-r ... ng-figures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's a lot of people to be exposed to factfree bull on a public radio service.
Last edited by frog222 on Fri 16 Nov, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK austerity has inflicted 'great misery' on citizens, UN says
Nothing we don't already know, but some of the descriptions in the report are pretty eye-catching:
The UK government has inflicted “great misery” on its people with “punitive, mean-spirited, and often callous” austerity policies driven by a political desire to undertake social re-engineering rather than economic necessity, the United Nations poverty envoy has found.
Well we know it isn't economic necessity because it's costing us more money to find ways to deny people benefits than it would cost to just give them benefits but it's nice to see it officially confirmed by an objective expert.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... icide-risk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Simon Fraser

Verified account

@SimonFraser00
5h5 hours ago
More
David Davis was a terrible #Brexit Secretary. He could hardly be bothered to go to Brussels & rapidly lost respect there. Preposterous for him now to suggest that EU deliberately delayed negotiations. They spent months waiting for him to engage..
The quality of people put in that key position is just alarming and has led to where we are now.

It's almost comical that Brexiteers claim that it is Remoaners fault...

Edit - and you can see why No 10 was forced to take the lead on negotiations.
And there are now rumours May will formalise that by taking the post herself. Would surely be a red rag to her critics, though?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Wednesday's Aditya is an excellent overall one on the UN visit - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... poverty-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Over the weekend, I asked Alston whether he heard any echoes between British experiences and the testimonies he heard last December while investigating Donald Trump’s US. “In many ways, you in the UK are far ahead of the US,” he said. He thinks “the Republicans would be ecstatic” to have pushed through the kind of austerity that the Tories have inflicted on the British."

I think there's much variability between States, but the increasingly successful rightwing ideology is the same one . Tides turn tho ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Calm after the storm today, innit?

(or maybe more accurately, the calm before the next one)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

'Jack of Kent' blog:
"Why the draft withdrawal agreement may be the only responsible option"
http://jackofkent.com/2018/11/why-the-d ... le-option/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Beth Rigby
@BethRigby
BREAK: She’s back! Amber Rudd new work and pensions secretary
3:56 PM · Nov 16, 2018 ·
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Laura Kuenssberg

Verified account

@bbclaurak
4h4 hours ago
More
1. Those who have gone public-Andrea Jenkyns, Andrew Bridgen, Philip Davies, James Duddridge, Anne Marie Morris, Lawrence Robertson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nadine Dorries, Simon Clarke, Steve Baker, Henry Smith, Maria Caulfield, Sheryll Murray, Lee Rowley, Martin Vickers, Peter Bone
If you wanted to list some of the very worst MPs you couldn't go far wrong with this bunch of wrong 'uns.

Wasn't Bridgen called a "something twerp" in the Commons yesterday?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Laura Kuenssberg

Verified account

@bbclaurak
4h4 hours ago
More
1. Those who have gone public-Andrea Jenkyns, Andrew Bridgen, Philip Davies, James Duddridge, Anne Marie Morris, Lawrence Robertson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nadine Dorries, Simon Clarke, Steve Baker, Henry Smith, Maria Caulfield, Sheryll Murray, Lee Rowley, Martin Vickers, Peter Bone
If you wanted to list some of the very worst MPs you couldn't go far wrong with this bunch of wrong 'uns.

Wasn't Bridgen called a "something twerp" in the Commons yesterday?
.... gone a bit 'public-Andrea Jenkyns' (misread it, but might catch on)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Who?
Carl Dinnen

Verified account

@carldinnen
16m16 minutes ago
More
NEW The new Brexit Secretary is Stephen Barclay MP, previously a junior Health Minister. But his brief will not include negotiating with the EU which Mrs May will take sole charge of.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

"Brexit: Liam Fox admits 'a deal is better than no deal' as he backs Theresa May's plan"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... 37086.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a message apparently aimed at rebel MPs, Dr Fox said: “I hope that we all take a rational and reasonable view of this. We are not elected to do what we want, we are elected to do what’s in the national interest.

“Ultimately I hope that across parliament we recognise that a deal is better than no deal. Businesses do require certainty, confidence as they go forward for their planning.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/c ... ys-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Care charges are driving disabled people into debt, says report
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Who?
Carl Dinnen

Verified account

@carldinnen
16m16 minutes ago
More
NEW The new Brexit Secretary is Stephen Barclay MP, previously a junior Health Minister. But his brief will not include negotiating with the EU which Mrs May will take sole charge of.
That's exactly why he has been appointed, I suspect.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Jessica Elgot

Verified account

@jessicaelgot
Follow Follow @jessicaelgot
More Jessica Elgot Retweeted Tim Shipman
Thank you for your loyalty Amber, here’s universal credit
S'OK, she can always blame her predecessors...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

At this juncture I would like to point out "fascistically intended "was a common phrase of mine some years ago.Of course ignorance may lead to fascistic consequences,IDS as an obvious example but now carried on by Hancock and his musings,because everybody knows a banana stuck up your anus prevents social care and all that pays for itself independent living nonsense.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Didn't watch it, but it appears that Claire Perry libelled Corbyn on last night's QT?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Didn't watch it, but it appears that Claire Perry libelled Corbyn on last night's QT?
TSGO's QT Report here ;-)

viewtopic.php?p=204418#p204418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Talking of which.....
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

?????????????? .............
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace's week ?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-question" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

By-election round up :twisted:

Where is it? ;-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The Archers provided a good radio window for the Beeb’s excellent 15 minute Histories of 1918

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00014lk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The received anglo-saxon 'common knowledge' is that post WW1 was more or less peaceful ... until the Crash and General Strike, while Germany Austria and the new Poland , Ukraine etc were in fact immediately riven by ethnic cleansing, new border controls after the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian Common Market (see Brexit) , starvation from the continuation of the wartime blockade, and so on.

An enlightening little series ! Far from the idiocies of 5LiveSport ( 12.51) and Andrew Neil --

BBC women complain after Andrew Neil tweet about Observer journalist

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... cadwalladr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, this is quite funny...
Greg Hands

Verified account

@GregHands
Follow Follow @GregHands
More
Interesting passage from Leo McKinstry’s biography of Geoff Boycott when the England team had to run out their own captain (Boycott) for the benefit of the team. England went on to win by 174 runs.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I eventually filed this Fintan O'Toole long read under "Brexit" , tho other more psychiatric possibilities did present themselves first ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tan-otoole" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The paranoid fantasy behind Brexit

In the dark imagination of English reactionaries, Britain is always a defeated nation – and the EU is the imaginary invader

Remember the two twerps dressed as WW2 pilots for the England v Germany football in South Africa ?

0---- 4 !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Gotta love some of the things in here...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... lietEUzcHM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favourite...
Their customer David Miller, who described himself as a welder and an evangelist, said he felt a little sorry for Theresa May. “She had this dumped on her and I think she’s handling it as best she can. She’s under immense pressure.”

Miller said he voted to leave because he thought Brussels imposed some “silly” laws on the UK. “Why should we be dominated by them?” But he also had an unusual main reason for supporting leave. “I follow the prophesies in the Bible and a split in Europe was prophesied. Europe will never unite again. God has said so.”
:D
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Caroline Flint can do one. Terrible piece in the Graun.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Gotta love some of the things in here...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... lietEUzcHM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favourite...
Their customer David Miller, who described himself as a welder and an evangelist, said he felt a little sorry for Theresa May. “She had this dumped on her and I think she’s handling it as best she can. She’s under immense pressure.”

Miller said he voted to leave because he thought Brussels imposed some “silly” laws on the UK. “Why should we be dominated by them?” But he also had an unusual main reason for supporting leave. “I follow the prophesies in the Bible and a split in Europe was prophesied. Europe will never unite again. God has said so.”
:D
Morons, to a (wo)man.
Last edited by refitman on Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix some terrible speling
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:By-election round up :twisted:

Where is it? ;-)
Slight delay I'm afraid, should appear over the weekend :)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:Caroline Flint can do one. Terrible piece in the Graun.
Linky ?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote:
Linky ?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -eu-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sounds like Flint can't be bothered to try and explain when her constituents ask her "Why haven't we left yet?"

I'm not saying she should tell them they're idiots but a little "Well, it's a bit more complicated than people think" wouldn't go amiss.

Not sure that having a dig at your fellow Labour MPs is that impressive really.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"I have no idea what is going to happen next. The Government is imploding. While chaos reigns, few are focusing on the details. MPs promote agendas that have little to do with the agreement. Debate remains polarised."
Why would an MP admitting this decide writing more and submitting it is confusing

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -eu-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 16 Nov, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Sounds like Flint can't be bothered to try and explain when her constituents ask her "Why haven't we left yet?"

I'm not saying she should tell them they're idiots but a little "Well, it's a bit more complicated than people think" wouldn't go amiss.

Not sure that having a dig at your fellow Labour MPs is that impressive really.
It's unimpressive and not Labour policy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:'Jack of Kent' blog:
"Why the draft withdrawal agreement may be the only responsible option"
http://jackofkent.com/2018/11/why-the-d ... le-option/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"...if there is a development which means the UK seeks an extension of the Article 50 period, or even revokes the notification, then the ultimatum of this text or No Deal becomes far less urgent."
Other options exist for the UK
Someone call Flint and let her know
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Alan Finlayson

@ProfAFinlayson
24h24 hours ago
More
I do feel like I wasted a lot of time learning (and teaching) elaborate theories for explaining outcomes in British Politics, on the day it becomes evident the determining factor is that the people in charge are utter dipshits.

Professor of Political & Social Theory at UEA (it's a university in Norwich).
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory government have nothing more and they'll do whatever it takes to remain in leadership at the expense of people and country
It doesn't have to be this way. The current agreement proposed is between Tory government and the EU. The EU won't tweak this agreement for a different UK government, that's likely true. It can be thrown out in its entirety.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Alan Finlayson

@ProfAFinlayson
24h24 hours ago
More
I do feel like I wasted a lot of time learning (and teaching) elaborate theories for explaining outcomes in British Politics, on the day it becomes evident the determining factor is that the people in charge are utter dipshits.

Professor of Political & Social Theory at UEA (it's a university in Norwich).
Yes, they're scarier than hell
Look what they'll do for power
They'll wreck the country
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Bad news. Johnston Press which owns, among many titles, the Yorkshire Post has gone into administration.

While definitely Tory, the Yorkshire Post maintains a level of independence and journalistic standards that I admire. And many of the smaller local papers do great work too. Hope they all survive.

PTO