Thursday 22nd November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 22nd November 2018

Post by HindleA »

?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Found it ! Seven minutes in . " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]GumILQ7wMs0[/youtube]

He DID say "at the moment" ... and also it depends what one means by 'friends' too .

I heard the much-hated Jess Philips on R4 the other day --

" If we had a secret ballot in parliament I know 30 Tories who wouldn't have voted for the Social Care Act ".

Strange system we have innit ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Choice between a blind brexit and a foggy brexit :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

17:22
"Labour’s Mike Kane asks why he should vote for a deal that restricts the rights of British workers to go abroad to work.

May says the UK will end free movement. What other countries do is up to them."

Freedom to stay at home !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:This is for CitizenJA who responded to a comment of mine at the Guardian but the article's now closed for comments so I'll reply here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -122832029
What does this matter, please? How is this helpful? Cross-party cooperation requires cooperation. Not setting up the Labour party leader as an enemy is a good start.
Hi CJA, I fully agree with you about the importance of cross-party cooperation but the problem is Jeremy Corbyn is making no effort to cooperate. Since his meeting with Sturgeon, Cable, the Greens and Plaid Cymru his language and position have not changed one iota. While the prospect of a second referendum has the chance of becoming a possible reality Corbyn continues to indulge in fantasy and vagueries for his own political benefit. There is zero chance Labour could renegotiate the withdrawal agreement even in the unlikely event they found themselves in a position to do so. When asked about it on Newsnight last night Yanis Varoufakis described the idea of any renegotiation delusional and he should know. There is one chance, and one chance alone, for this country to remain in the EU and that is a People's Vote and as of now Jeremy Corbyn is a hindrance to achieving that. And as such while he might not be my enemy he's far from being my friend. So while I wholly agree with your admirable sentiment until Corbyn changes his position any meaningful cross-party cooperation is unfortunately a pipe dream. Which I wholeheartedly regret.
Yes, you're right.
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Manic Hindustani is perturbed - praised by Theresa May for his ideas (4,6,5)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:This is for CitizenJA who responded to a comment of mine at the Guardian but the article's now closed for comments so I'll reply here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -122832029
What does this matter, please? How is this helpful? Cross-party cooperation requires cooperation. Not setting up the Labour party leader as an enemy is a good start.
Hi CJA, I fully agree with you about the importance of cross-party cooperation but the problem is Jeremy Corbyn is making no effort to cooperate. Since his meeting with Sturgeon, Cable, the Greens and Plaid Cymru his language and position have not changed one iota. While the prospect of a second referendum has the chance of becoming a possible reality Corbyn continues to indulge in fantasy and vagueries for his own political benefit. There is zero chance Labour could renegotiate the withdrawal agreement even in the unlikely event they found themselves in a position to do so. When asked about it on Newsnight last night Yanis Varoufakis described the idea of any renegotiation delusional and he should know. There is one chance, and one chance alone, for this country to remain in the EU and that is a People's Vote and as of now Jeremy Corbyn is a hindrance to achieving that. And as such while he might not be my enemy he's far from being my friend. So while I wholly agree with your admirable sentiment until Corbyn changes his position any meaningful cross-party cooperation is unfortunately a pipe dream. Which I wholeheartedly regret.
Yes, you're right.
:rock:
Corbyn will not do back room deals for sure (for better or worse). The cooperation for him can only come when an appropriate amendment or whatever is put to the House that they can all agree on.

That doesn't mean that Starmer isn't scurrying around the back rooms of course!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:Choice between a blind brexit and a foggy brexit :-)

Foggy "Brexit" - Continent Cut Off
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@PaulfromYorkshire
Yes
Realities of the UK's Parliamentary system aren't simple
Decent MPs navigating through it face pressures I've not experienced
I watch, read & try to learn
draw it mild
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/en ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This Brexit Deal Is A Capitulation - Pass It And Our Party Will Sleepwalk Into Electoral Defeat
At the very least it seems divisions within the Tory party are unlikely to heal anytime soon, whichever way this falls out. The deal is anathema to one side, no deal anathema to the other and no Brexit is anathema to the bulk of Tory voters. Something's gotta give eventually.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Losing freedom of movement between the nations horrifies me; it always has done
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

More from John Bull. Liddington's trying to sort the Irish border:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

refitman wrote:More from John Bull. Liddington's trying to sort the Irish border:

Reminds me of a line from Viv Stanshall's classic Sir Henry at Rawlinson's End where he gets asked what he wants for breakfast..."I don't know what I want but I want it now!"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
refitman wrote:More from John Bull. Liddington's trying to sort the Irish border:

Reminds me of a line from Viv Stanshall's classic Sir Henry at Rawlinson's End where he gets asked what he wants for breakfast..."I don't know what I want but I want it now!"
:lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

madness
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I said it in 2012. Give Dave and his Tory-led coalition a television program. They play. Competent people represent people and nation. I'm sorry it took me nearly two years for my bright idea. It really shouldn't have taken that long.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paralysed man denied disability benefit because he lived abroad - while working for the government
PIP claimant Mike Plumb spent five years working for Ministry of Defence in Germany, but was told because he'd lived overseas he wasn't eligible
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I've probably said this before.

I'm not against a second referendum.

But I am VERY worried by people, many people, who seem to think it would make everything alright.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

BTW did anyone solve my anagram?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Corbyn will not do back room deals for sure (for better or worse). The cooperation for him can only come when an appropriate amendment or whatever is put to the House that they can all agree on.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean he has to look like he's sniffing an egregiously eggy fart every time he's forced to say a second referendum is a possibility. And that's all he has to do, say that it's a possibility and look like he means it, but he can't. He transparently loathes the idea and I'd rather he was honest than this shifty fence sitting designed to keep the remainers amongst his faithful onside.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:BTW did anyone solve my anagram?
yIeDsS
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

It's functionally an outrageous lead into a backdoor attempt to look again without actually looking again, but I think that no government should have the right to break up the UK without specific authority to do so from a referendum. I am generally very against the idea of just having another go, and I've felt for a long time that there's really been nothing you could have a second vote about, but now we're here, do we separate NI from the rest of the UK in the way that is absolutely bound to happen under the plans they have? Or do we create a democratic check by only allowing different systems for NI and the rest of the UK if it's passed by a nationwide referendum, perhaps with a check that there has to be a majority not just across the UK but also specifically in NI?
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Great use of the phrase "egregiously eggy" TSGO :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

adam wrote:It's functionally an outrageous lead into a backdoor attempt to look again without actually looking again, but I think that no government should have the right to break up the UK without specific authority to do so from a referendum. I am generally very against the idea of just having another go, and I've felt for a long time that there's really been nothing you could have a second vote about, but now we're here, do we separate NI from the rest of the UK in the way that is absolutely bound to happen under the plans they have? Or do we create a democratic check by only allowing different systems for NI and the rest of the UK if it's passed by a nationwide referendum, perhaps with a check that there has to be a majority not just across the UK but also specifically in NI?
I agree. One place where I think referendums do have a place is in deciding the political system.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:But I am VERY worried by people, many people, who seem to think it would make everything alright.
Maybe not alright, but at least better than having the price of French wine go through the roof which is obviously all I really care about ;) .

I was talking to my landlord earlier this week who's an ardent Mail reading Brexiter so not particularly pleased at proceedings and he was mouthing off about how he would 'take to the streets' if the decision to leave was reversed. To which I said, "What are you going to do? You're 72". Now obviously not all Brexiters are pensioners and some of them would undoubtedly kick off, but surely that's no reason not to have another vote? I refuse to have my rights and a part of my identity ripped away simply to appease idiots and racists. Not that I think that's an argument you're making but others are.

So no everything wouldn't be alright, but it would be better than the alternative and at least we wouldn't have to rely on 'adequate food'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:BTW did anyone solve my anagram?
yIeDsS

Yes, thanks.

He looked, today, as though he were chewing a wasp!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Great use of the phrase "egregiously eggy" TSGO :twisted:
I used my last visit to Hindle's house as inspiration.

Anyhoo off to drink some French wine while I can still afford it and watch the jamboree of nonsense that is Question Time.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@SGO Looking forward to the review later ;-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

No telly 'ere

[youtube]00QMtQHU2OY[/youtube]

Hell's teeth, it's really really 'orrible ! :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Right at the end Clive Lewis got in the Tories' unnecessary £110BN tax cuts while they were inflicting Austerity at the same time . Applause for that an boos for Karen Bradley.

I missed most of the beginning on brexit . Clive Lewis didn't have much to go with ...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time Report.

We were in the West Midlands tonight in Cannock, no real gammons on show despite it being a brexity part of the world so that was a bit of a disappointment, there was even some applause for May's withdrawal agreement so she'll be cockahoop about that.

Oh and 3 of the 5 panel members supported May's deal. Which I'm sure was just a happy coincidence eh BBC?

For the Tories we had Karen Bradley, our esteemed Northern Ireland secretary who didn't realise people voted there along sectarian lines. It's hard to know what to say about Karen after tonight's performance. She certainly didn't disabuse me of the notion that she's an idiot. Most of her evening was taken up with defending May's deal without, it has to be said, a great deal of apparent enthusiasm. All she had to offer was a somewhat muted optimism like a limp, sad looking Pangloss. On homelessness she claimed there was no single cause. To which my bellowed reply was "Of course there is, it's the fucking Tories". Every time they're in power homelessness rises, but apparently Karen doesn't believe in cause and effect. Perhaps she thinks people on the street just emerge from some quantum chaos.

For Labour we had Clive Lewis, now I know I'm usually quite harsh on Labour panelists which would be because they're usually useless, but Clive was rather good. Where others have used 3000 sentences to explain Labour's Brexit position he did it in 3. There was no waffle or messing about and he didn't take any shit. He accurately described how May had squandered any chance of bringing the country together with her pandering to her hard Brexit nutters and made Labour's position abundantly clear. I may not have liked everything he had to say but I won't deny he said it well. If you Labour bods are looking for a future leader, from the outside I'd say you could do a lot worse than this guy.

And then we had Trevor Phillips who was a massive letdown, despite campaigning for remain officially with the 'Britain Stronger in Europe' group Trevor now thinks we should all get behind Theresa May's agreement. Now I accept there is a principled position to be taken by remainers in accepting the referendum result. But that doesn't mean to say you have to accept any old shit just because its author claims it's the only thing on offer. He mocked Labour's claim to be able to renegotiate with the EU and I agree with him, but when it came to a second referendum he claimed it should only be a choice between May's deal and no deal. Why? He offered no justification for such a limited choice. He claimed Westminister politicians were out of touch with their political infighting over Brexit but it seemed to me it was him who was out of touch with the people he once campaigned alongside.

And then we come to Julia Hartley-Brewer. First of all it was good to see Julia instead of Chloe Westley from the so called Taxpayers' Alliance who was dropped from the programme. At least we know Julia funds herself by talking bollocks whereas we don't know who funds the Taxpayers' Alliance to talk bollocks and lobby government and I'm delighted scrutiny from The Guardian has finally forced the BBC to give them the shitty stick treatment. Anyway that's as nice as I'm going to be about Julia because I genuinely believe she's a cynical charlatan. I think as soon as she walks out of her office or whatever studio she's in she takes a deep breath and stops pretending to be a populist moron. I think it's all an act for money, like an upmarket Katie Hopkins. I could be wrong, maybe she is a moron, because to believe some of the things she comes out with would require significantly compromised cognitive functionality. For example this evening she claimed that once leave won the referendum the wishes of the remain side should have been completely ignored and the only reason we were in this mess was because we had remainers in charge of negotiating our exit from the EU. A sea urchin could poke holes in that reasoning and not just with its spines. Is Julia Hartley-Brewer smarter than a sea urchin?

And finally we had Richard Walker managing director of Iceland, I've heard this guy a few times and he's ok, banning plastics from his shop's products, this evening he was criticising Universal Credit, but he's a brexiter and spent most of the programme making the business case for backing May's deal which is, as far as I understand it, 'this is the least shit thing for businesses and it gives us a modicum of certainty', which given the current political reality seemed utterly absurd.