Thursday 22nd November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 22nd November 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 22nd November 2018

Post by HindleA »

It's rather cold or fucking freezing dependent on preferred measurement.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I could "cheat" and open up from avoiding work but a weekday wouldn't be complete without a refitman 7.03-7.05 opening (formerly 7.09-7.11)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

It's cooled down a bit more just before dawn, now -- 4° !

Paul Lewis followed Steve Bannon closely for four months. Very well worth a look —

Steve Bannon: I want to drive a stake through the Brussels vampire
"Former Trump adviser invites the Guardian to shadow him as he sets about his plan to forge a new populist ‘super-group’ in Europe"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ist-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not going 'quite' so well , so far --
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ction-laws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but we've seen what the Koch,Mercer, Farage, Banks, Trump nexus are capable of ... ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/lan ... t-shelter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Landlords who have had enough of being ‘bashed’ to organise boycott of businesses that support Shelter
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ys-shelter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least 320,000 homeless people in Britain, says Shelter
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.parliament.uk/business/comm ... hed-17-19/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government received too little in student loans sell-off, report finds
PAC
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.cih.org/news-article/display ... new_report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Home-owners get more government subsidy than social housing tenants or private renters: new report
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not sure what temperature,but as ever it is the "wind" creating havoc as PF will testify.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/educ ... 44981.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Student loans sale by government failed to get good deal for taxpayers, MPs say
'When public assets are gone, they're gone - in the case of the student loans, for too little return'
Graduates on good salaries paying for their degrees is a fair sounding argument, but the reality is a bit more along the lines of the government still paying for most of the degrees while graduates on modest to good salaries are mostly just paying for the profits of the private company which gets to bill them.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Good for video games, wrong for courts': online claims project hits trouble

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/good- ... 04.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Breaking news: Prime Minister to make a Commons statement on Brexit at 230
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I post this on account of its wonderful typo:
UK and EU agreed beefed up text on future relationship

This is from Donald Tusk, the president of the European commission.

Last week the UK and the EU published a seven-page draft of the political declaration on the framework for the future relationship. Today’s document is the beefed up journalist. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So it appears we avoid a backstop by committing to an e-border within 2 years.

Can it be delivered?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The significant development in it appears to be that the requirements for the backstop all hold but there is a specific commitment to consider technical solutions - which is what we want, even though nobody but us believes there are any technical solutions available.

I may be wrong, but isn't the issue here that we are all committed to keeping the UK/ROI border just as it is now, and nobody but us is pretending that there is any way to do this other than NI or the whole of the UK remaining functionally within the single market with an FTA or remaining within the single market and custom's union with no deal?
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:So it appears we avoid a backstop by committing to an e-border within 2 years.

Can it be delivered?
I think we are still at the stage that we were at before - this is about the short term, the long term is still to be agreed, we are still facing a long term choice between an FTA with an end to frictionless trade and NI kept functionally within the single market, or a close association with a maintenance of frictionless trade with the whole of the UK kept functionally within the single market but us becoming a rule taker without a say.

I look forward to the arguments being spouted about how we must be entitled to decide ourselves that our technical solutions are sufficient.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Mood on Twitter seems to be it's all a bit fanciful.

Unicorns will patrol the Irish Border ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

It's quite inconvenient for Mrs May that the leader of her "coalition" partner lives a stones throw from said border.

She's hardly going to be swayed by unicorns is she?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The protesters are certainly helping my carbon footprint, I WAS going out for new brake pads for my bike and a few other odds and ends.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:The significant development in it appears to be that the requirements for the backstop all hold but there is a specific commitment to consider technical solutions - which is what we want, even though nobody but us believes there are any technical solutions available.

I may be wrong, but isn't the issue here that we are all committed to keeping the UK/ROI border just as it is now, and nobody but us is pretending that there is any way to do this other than NI or the whole of the UK remaining functionally within the single market with an FTA or remaining within the single market and custom's union with no deal?
Difficult for those who insisted we didn't need a backstop because we could use technology to argue against this on the grounds that the technology won't work so we will end up with an unacceptable backstop.

I'm looking forward to seeing them try ;)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
adam wrote:The significant development in it appears to be that the requirements for the backstop all hold but there is a specific commitment to consider technical solutions - which is what we want, even though nobody but us believes there are any technical solutions available.

Difficult for those who insisted we didn't need a backstop because we could use technology to argue against this on the grounds that the technology won't work so we will end up with an unacceptable backstop.

I'm looking forward to seeing them try ;)
Good point!

Though it sounds like there will be enough other stuff for them to rail against......
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Jessica Elgot highlighting this absurd passage from the Political Declaration
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 11.08.44.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 11.08.44.png (148.55 KiB) Viewed 7545 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: cold

You may have seen photos like this on Sky News - taken just up the hill from our house.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 11.13.06.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 11.13.06.png (977.06 KiB) Viewed 7543 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@NicolaSturgeon
15 minutes ago

Just read Political Declaration. Lots of unicorns taking the place of facts about the future relationship. Fair play to the EU for pushing it as far as possible...but it adds up to a blindfold Brexit. Difficult issues unresolved - so extended transition/backstop almost certain.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@NicolaSturgeon
15 minutes ago

Just read Political Declaration. Lots of unicorns taking the place of facts about the future relationship. Fair play to the EU for pushing it as far as possible...but it adds up to a blindfold Brexit. Difficult issues unresolved - so extended transition/backstop almost certain.
Headline take from the Guardian - fails to deliver frictionless trade.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The Parties recall their determination to replace the backstop solution on Northern Ireland by a subsequent agreement that establishes alternative arrangements for ensuring the absence of a hard border on the island of Ireland.
Unicorn central!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

It's hopeless. What's the betting her statement to the House will be cancelled?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:It's hopeless. What's the betting her statement to the House will be cancelled?
Nelson : " I see no fudge " :-)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Meanwhile Trump being politely but unambiguously slapped down by Chief Justice Roberts is fairly extraordinary, especially because it's actually Roberts and not Kennedy who has sometimes been the swing vote on the Court - notably with Obamacare - and who you really want onside. The suggestion about him is that he's absolutely not a liberal in disguise but that he is a conservative who is a lot more intellectual honest than some of the 'straight down the line' sophistry you see from the other conservative Justices.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Could you be friends with people that don't think.you should be here and pronounced you unfair and loved one not contributing anything living off the back of others,,yeah sure.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 22 Nov, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:The Tories and lickspittle Libdems enacted purposeful harm on you concurrent with a vile campaign of deliberate misrepresentation and encouragement of the population to disdain you and view you as a selfish taker -could you be friends with them- er Fuck off.
The performative outrage from the Sensibles about JMcD's comments is even more risible than usual.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sorry I deleted and had wholesale rewrite
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I preferred your original, if anything ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Nothing sensible about being seduced,as somebody said.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:Sorry I deleted and had wholesale rewrite
I see this one was unrewritten from earlier , but here's the reply :-) --

Justin Tomlinson suggests taking in a LODGER may help families cope with benefit cap in 'ignorant' Tory gaffe

VIDEO -- https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... p-13622350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

As far as I'm concerned who someone chooses as their friends is a personal matter and really not anyone's business but their own but I presume John McDonnell has shared his personal preferences to appeal to those who dislike what they perceive as a "chumocracy" at the heart of politics, so he has sort of willingly opened himself up to any ensuing support/criticism, so he can't really complain about getting a reaction. He can, however, derive some amusement, I would have thought, from some of the completely out of proportion responses his not especially surprising revelation has provoked. The sneering attitudes of those on the right towards people of a left-leaning persuasion are hardly any friendlier, after all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:As far as I'm concerned who someone chooses as their friends is a personal matter and really not anyone's business but their own but I presume John McDonnell has shared his personal preferences to appeal to those who dislike what they perceive as a "chumocracy" at the heart of politics, so he has sort of willingly opened himself up to any ensuing support/criticism, so he can't really complain about getting a reaction. He can, however, derive some amusement, I would have thought, from some of the completely out of proportion responses his not especially surprising revelation has provoked. The sneering attitudes of those on the right towards people of a left-leaning persuasion are hardly any friendlier, after all.
What has he done, please ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

1m ago 12:38

This is from Reuters Kylie MacLellan.

UK and EU agreed beefed up text on future relationship

This is from Donald Tusk, the president of the European commission.

Last week the UK and the EU published a seven-page draft of the political declaration on the framework for the future relationship. Today’s document is the beefed up journalist. (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@frog

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:As far as I'm concerned who someone chooses as their friends is a personal matter and really not anyone's business but their own but I presume John McDonnell has shared his personal preferences to appeal to those who dislike what they perceive as a "chumocracy" at the heart of politics, so he has sort of willingly opened himself up to any ensuing support/criticism, so he can't really complain about getting a reaction. He can, however, derive some amusement, I would have thought, from some of the completely out of proportion responses his not especially surprising revelation has provoked. The sneering attitudes of those on the right towards people of a left-leaning persuasion are hardly any friendlier, after all.
What has he done, please ?
He would not choose a Tory MP as a friend.

No chummy jaunts to deepest, darkest Somerset with new bestie Rees-Mogg a la Jess Philips for John McDonnell who, contrary to no one's expectations, feels that voting for the likes of benefit cuts for disabled people & the bedroom tax is not really the kind of qualities he's looking for in a friend.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The point is, McDonnell gave perfectly plausible reasons for feeling the way he does there. Those expressing performative disdain seem to have little interest in engaging with them.

Abi Wilkinson put it excellently a while ago - many centrists are like dogs, far more attuned to tone than content.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@HouseofCommons
8 minutes ago

Following the publication of the draft #PoliticalDeclaration, Prime Minister @theresa_may is making a statement in the House of Commons on the progress of EU negotiations.
Watch now: https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/9 ... n=14:58:54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is for CitizenJA who responded to a comment of mine at the Guardian but the article's now closed for comments so I'll reply here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -122832029
What does this matter, please? How is this helpful? Cross-party cooperation requires cooperation. Not setting up the Labour party leader as an enemy is a good start.
Hi CJA, I fully agree with you about the importance of cross-party cooperation but the problem is Jeremy Corbyn is making no effort to cooperate. Since his meeting with Sturgeon, Cable, the Greens and Plaid Cymru his language and position have not changed one iota. While the prospect of a second referendum has the chance of becoming a possible reality Corbyn continues to indulge in fantasy and vagueries for his own political benefit. There is zero chance Labour could renegotiate the withdrawal agreement even in the unlikely event they found themselves in a position to do so. When asked about it on Newsnight last night Yanis Varoufakis described the idea of any renegotiation delusional and he should know. There is one chance, and one chance alone, for this country to remain in the EU and that is a People's Vote and as of now Jeremy Corbyn is a hindrance to achieving that. And as such while he might not be my enemy he's far from being my friend. So while I wholly agree with your admirable sentiment until Corbyn changes his position any meaningful cross-party cooperation is unfortunately a pipe dream. Which I wholeheartedly regret.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Ian Dunt (@IanDunt) Tweeted:
Commons is such a shitshow right now.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@Otto_English

Question Time has dropped Chloe Westley from tonight's show. A very good thing.

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.parliament.uk/business/comm ... inquiry14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Committee is holding a one-off evidence session with Emily Holzhausen OBE, Director of Policy and Public Affairs at Carers, UK, to explore why the levels of overpayments in Carer’s Allowance are so high, how clear the rules around earnings for carers are, and the impact that repaying overpayments has on carers.

Once asked for five years Payslips (already given) relating to ten years previously.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:@Otto_English

In the comments beneath that tweet, somebody getting all aerated about Clive Lewis. God help us :roll:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote:@Otto_English
In the comments beneath that tweet, somebody getting all aerated about Clive Lewis. God help us :roll:
Couldn't find that ?

PTO