Thursday 29th November 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 29th November 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 29th November 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning.It's two steps forward one step back weather
Easily dealt with of course,by turning around every third step.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

18/05/16
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 51071.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Minister Priti Patel: Quit EU to save our curry houses"
28/11/18
https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/ ... -1-5799004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Brexit is forcing Brick Lane curry houses to ‘go to the wall’ say Bengali restaurant traders"
“The public must have a final say—with the option to stay in Europe.
“Our MPs at Westminster need to stand up for traders who feel let down and disenfranchised.”
He slammed Brexit politicians he says misled the curry trade into supporting the Leave campaign in 2016 with “lies” and unrealistic false promises.
“We were misled and induced to mobilise 150,000 workers from restaurants across the country to support the Leave campaign,” Mr Khan revealed.
“Pro-Leave politicians promised us the world, with more cooks from South Asia through relaxed visa rules, a clampdown on undocumented workers and lower salary thresholds to hire overseas staff.
“We were promised that Brexit would rebuild communities and protect businesses—but it’s clear that was all a farce, that we were misled.”
Joly Maughum:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JolyonMaugha ... r%5Eauthor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Any comment on this, @patel4witham ? Weren't you involved in selling what are being called "lies"? Haven't you seen fit to lecture Remainers on what democracy requires? Shouldn't you resign your seat? twitter.com/JamesMcGrory/s…"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... since-2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Complaints over social care in England nearly trebled since 2010
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/peter- ... m-be-resol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"For the people to have their say on Brexit, how best can the multi-option conundrum be resolved?"
ugh, tries to explain something called 'the Modified Borda Count'.
Need coffee, more sleep & possibly a new brain.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Read that as a new "Brian" was going to ask what was wrong with the old one.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexitinc/adam ... -geoghegan
"Right-wing think tank accused of promoting tobacco and oil industry “propaganda” in schools"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:Read that as a new "Brian" was going to ask what was wrong with the old one.
It was out of order?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/he ... onsored-by" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Looking like the final US House seat in play - CA21 - has gone to the Dems, giving a final score of 235-200.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

We will be leaving the EU on 29th March 2019. That's the only thing that Theresa May seems able to provide as an answer - regardless of the question. (I've been following the Commons Liaison Committee which is questioning Theresa May on "Brexit".) Things don't seem to be going very well for her.

March 29th 2019 falls on a Friday so far as I've been able to ascertain. I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:
March 29th 2019 falls on a Friday so far as I've been able to ascertain. I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned it.
When Black Friday comes
I stand down by the door
And catch the grey men when they
Dive from the fourteenth floor

When Black Friday comes
I collect everything I'm owed
And before my friends find out
I'll be on the road

When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be
Don't let it fall on me
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
When Black Friday comes
I stand down by the door
And catch the grey men when they
Dive from the fourteenth floor

When Black Friday comes
I collect everything I'm owed
And before my friends find out
I'll be on the road

When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be
Don't let it fall on me
080811_friday_im_in_love_t_shirt_1.jpg
080811_friday_im_in_love_t_shirt_1.jpg (173.5 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Followed by?

[youtube]kqMWcaIXi2Y[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Lots of people pointing out on here that jacob Rees Mogg is wrong - shocked I tell ya! - in describing Carney as a politician when he was in Canada...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that's besides sneering at a civil servant who can't answer back.

Thoroughly nasty piece of work.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

JRM didn't understand that "minister" can be used in Canada a different way than it is here.

Another example of how (like B Johnson) "he wears a lot of learning skin deep".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see that net migration is still ever so slightly above the government's "tens of thousands" target.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46384417
Figures show net migration - the difference between how many people came to the UK for at least 12 months and how many left- was 273,000 last year.

EU net migration was 74,000 in the year to the end of June 2018, while non-EU net migration was 248,000.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Read that as a new "Brian" was going to ask what was wrong with the old one.
He's finally got bored with waiting for Brenda to shuffle off?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Slippery buggers, Tories.

David Henig
David Henig
@DavidHenigUK
So the Government has modelled an imaginary scenario based on the Chequers proposals that the EU has rejected. The figures, which then show it isn't that different to remain, are therefore of little use...
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Is there even the smallest possibility that Labour have agreed to the idea of a televised debate so that Corbyn can surprise her with a specific pledge for a new referendum after she loses in the commons, with detailed proposals and a clear cross-party philosophy behind it?
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I doubt if it will be as specific as that - but some sort of "December Surprise" from Labour wouldn't totally, erm, surprise.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Is there even the smallest possibility that Labour have agreed to the idea of a televised debate so that Corbyn can surprise her with a specific pledge for a new referendum after she loses in the commons, with detailed proposals and a clear cross-party philosophy behind it?

It would be nice, wouldn't it?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I see that Jeremy Corbyn is balking at attending the debate with Theresa May if it is to be hosted by the BBC. Can't really blame him.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Callous Enrica turns to accuse Theresa May of misleading parliament (8,5).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:I see that Jeremy Corbyn is balking at attending the debate with Theresa May if it is to be hosted by the BBC. Can't really blame him.
He should ask for it to be on Sky instead, there was a time when I never thought I would write that.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The net tightens...
David Mack

Verified account

@davidmackau
11m11 minutes ago
More David Mack Retweeted Fran Spielman
Federal agents have raided the City Hall office of Chicago Alderman Ed Burke this morning. Burke's small law firm did tax work for Trump for 12 years https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/t ... for-trump/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Important proposed amendment to the Withdrawal Bill

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

In actual fact it seems Corbyn wants the ITV proposal of a straight debate between himself and the PM.

(whilst the Beeb wants to add some "panel", perish the thought some of these might be picked to help out May if she gets into a tight spot)

He should stick to his guns on this, I suspect that is what most people would prefer to see as well.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I don't think I could be bothered to watch this Great Debate (if it ever happens and is also on youtube) .

For example I rely on the selfless Sky for the QT review, life is too short :-)

Choosing between TMay's 100% shit sandwich and Corbyn's 90% version is not so exciting for those with different tastes.

(that's if he's made his mind up by the 9th of course )
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:In actual fact it seems Corbyn wants the ITV proposal of a straight debate between himself and the PM.

(whilst the Beeb wants to add some "panel", perish the thought some of these might be picked to help out May if she gets into a tight spot)

He should stick to his guns on this, I suspect that is what most people would prefer to see as well.
Yes, he should. A panel wasn't in the original proposal, so far as I'm aware. The BBC gets worse and worse. And it pains me to say that.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Clive Lewis can be very good
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 19.49.42.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 19.49.42.png (62.42 KiB) Viewed 6805 times
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

What's the point of the TV debate, if the public* aren't going to be allowed to vote on anything?

*or MPs if the Tories get their way.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's a duel
Tory analysis
best chance for survival is this one debate structured to favour May (Tories) as much as possible
hope it influences MPs to favour May
It'll pass the time at any rate, a theatre presentation
It's my understanding all May repeated today was the UK is leaving the EU on 29 March 2019
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:Good-evening, everyone
Evening Citizen, quiet in 'ere, has the rest of Brengland been nuked, or just a sitcom/sporting event ?

" After the prime minister had left to catch a plane to Argentina for the G20 summit, several committee chairs came over for a chat. “Any idea what we learned from that?” they all asked. Politics at its most postmodern. Senior MPs asking a sketchwriter for help. Brexit will eat itself. "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... st-meeting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

If you're going to do it at all you might as well have May, Corbyn, a no deal Brexiter and a People's Vote representative. Because those are the choices we actually face. Let them each make their case then face questions from an audience properly selected to fairly represent those choices. I see absolutely no point in having just May and Corbyn debate one another while ignoring the other two big grey trunky things in the room. I doubt I'd even bother watching it.

Also I see Nicola Sturgeon is spitting feathers and I don't blame her, Scotland has been roundly ignored throughout this whole process and if Scotland must accept the result of a UK wide referendum then I see absolutely no reason why she shouldn't be part of any debate regarding its outcome. Because after all surely simply remaining in the EU should also be represented as a choice and that's what she and millions of the rest of us want.

I can see why Corbyn only wants to debate May as for him this has little to do with Brexit and everything to do with him winning a general election. He'll see it as an opportunity to take a chunk out of a weak Prime Minister, and May will do just about anything such is her desperation, but as a Brexit debate it'll be a complete waste of everybody's time.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I see that idiot from Wetherspoons is on QT tonight.

I was in one of his pubs on Tuesday evening and I don't know if any of you have seen them but they have these folded cardboard leaflet things covered in Brexit propaganda on all the tables. This pub is in THE most heavily remain voting part of Leeds and those leaflet things were in a sorry state. There was picture of him on the back of them which I saw vandalised in various amusing ways, at least a couple had large cocks drawn extending from his forehead but my favourite was a crude yet recognisable rendering of Donald Trump pissing into the pint Mr Wetherspoons was brandishing. Mostly though people had just scribbled on them and ripped them up. I asked the barmaid if they were forced to put them on the tables and she confirmed they were but she thought it was funny they were being destroyed.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:If you're going to do it at all you might as well have May, Corbyn, a no deal Brexiter and a People's Vote representative. Because those are the choices we actually face. Let them each make their case then face questions from an audience properly selected to fairly represent those choices. I see absolutely no point in having just May and Corbyn debate one another while ignoring the other two big grey trunky things in the room. I doubt I'd even bother watching it.

Also I see Nicola Sturgeon is spitting feathers and I don't blame her, Scotland has been roundly ignored throughout this whole process and if Scotland must accept the result of a UK wide referendum then I see absolutely no reason why she shouldn't be part of any debate regarding its outcome. Because after all surely simply remaining in the EU should also be represented as a choice and that's what she and millions of the rest of us want.

I can see why Corbyn only wants to debate May as for him this has little to do with Brexit and everything to do with him winning a general election. He'll see it as an opportunity to take a chunk out of a weak Prime Minister, and May will do just about anything such is her desperation, but as a Brexit debate it'll be a complete waste of everybody's time.
Exactly !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://twitter.com/labourlewis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like this bloke.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time report.

Tonight we were in Penzance in Cornwall. Which I imagine is a bit like Innsmouth. While taking a break from worshipping Dagon the audience seemed a fair leave/remain split and none stood out as a genuine gammon but one thing was for sure, when offered the choice of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister the idea went down (twice) like a bucket of sick.

For the Tories we had Nadhim Zahawi. Nadhim never fails to impress...upon me that he's an utter moron. He never fails to mention that before being an MP he was a successful businessman which only goes to reinforce my view that absolute idiots can be successful in business. This evening he lied twice in his very first answer claiming the EU was attempting to create a centralised economy (wtf?) and a European army. Let's just get this straight, a number of EU states want to create a joint military intervention force, this is true, but it will be outside the EU's structure so guess which country has been asking to be involved after Brexit? Yeah you guessed it, the UK. So Nadhim was scaremongering about some limited military cooperation his own government is desperate to be part of. He also compared May to Abraham Lincoln while using the American civil war as an analogy for the divided state of the UK. As he's a brexiter one has to assume he thinks we remainers are the confederate slave owners. As I said, he's a fucking idiot.

For Labour we had Rebecca Long-Bailey. I've seen some tortuous interviews with Rebecca of late trying to obfuscate Labour's Brexit position but I'm happy to report that tonight we had none of that. She seemed confident in herself and as far as I could tell to put in the perfect Labour performance which is to say some things to please the leavers and some things to please the remainers. As a result of that some of it was obvious bollocks, like Labour's fantasy renegotiation with the EU for example, but at least she sounded competent which for a member of Corbyn's shadow cabinet on Question Time is quite remarkable.

Then we had Tim Martin, Mr Wetherspoons. According to Tim leaping headlong from the cliff with no deal will result in us landing softly on cushions stuffed with unicorn fur. And then everything will be wonderful once we have Prime Minister Johnson. Curiously even the heavily leave voting denizens of Cornwall seemed less than impressed with this view of the future. Tim offered nothing more than the usual brexiter fantasies that everything would be brilliant without any evidence to support his case, he rubbished the government's economic forecasts saying he had free market economists saying the opposite. So that would be Patrick Minford and..? When I was a kid my mate Billy decided to jump from a garage roof because he was convinced if he believed hard enough he could fly. This did not end well for Billy and neither will it end well for this country if we listen to childish fools like Tim.

Next we have Benjamin Zephaniah. I like Benjamin and tonight he made a good point about how differently people can react to the same stimuli, some good, some not so good. But his arse was placed firmly on the fence so the debate just passed him by. I suspect he was the voice of reason.

And the star of the show was....ta da...Layla Moran. Who I hear you say? Layla is the newest Lib Dem MP, just got elected last year and is already a leadership contender after they stab Vince in the back. Such is life in a small pond. She made the case for a People's Vote while explaining how Theresa May had not only squandered but spat in the face of the idea of cross party cooperation. I may have a tiny crush on her right now but is it enough to make me rejoin the Lib Dems?

Is it fuck.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote:For example I rely on the selfless Sky for the QT review
You probably shouldn't do that.

I am kinda biased and drunk.