Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd December 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd December 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... es-aged-94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd December 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... for-donors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adam Smith Institute offered £1,000 donors invites to ‘power lunches and patrons dinners
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Eddie Mair's great. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Not sure if this is significant, but ConservativeHome has redecorated,
It previously had a Brexit Banner at the top of the page,
but now has a more Unionist friendy one.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:Eddie Mair's great. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you know what the title of the last piece of music in the clip is, please? Something of the Clowns? I can't remember, and it's annoying me.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... for-donors

Adam Smith Institute offered £1,000 donors invites to ‘power lunches and patrons dinners
Earlier this year the chief executive of the Institute of Economic Affairs was filmed by an undercover reporter appearing to promise a potential donor access to a minister in exchange for funding a report on agribusiness. The group says it is “spurious to suggest that the IEA is engaging in any kind of ‘cash for access’ system” and denies wrongdoing.
Presumably they didn't stipulate the £1000 had to be cash? Probably quite happy to accept payment by Cheque, Visa, American Express ..
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Afternoon from rainy Normandy

How did Clive Lewis get on in Any Questions last night ?

The Prince of Darkness just used the "riding two horses" image for the Labour party ...

that risk of "doing the splits" .
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:
refitman wrote:Eddie Mair's great. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you know what the title of the last piece of music in the clip is, please? Something of the Clowns? I can't remember, and it's annoying me.
Entry of the Gladiators:

[youtube]_B0CyOAO8y0[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Too good for the present day BBC :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@refitman

Thank you. Clowns, gladiators - easy to get them mixed up!

I can't say that I'm familiar with the composer - one Julius Fučík.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:@refitman

Thank you. Clowns, gladiators - easy to get them mixed up!
Especially since it is mainly associated with circuses these days.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - good morfternoon.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Pipped at the post!
"79 Instrumental songs everyone knows, but no one knows the name of (TV Show & Advertising Music)"
[youtube]OzOh9cTbX60[/youtube]
'Entry of the Gladiators' somewhere around number 65,
I'd have got there eventually!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinybgoat

Great! Thanks.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexit ... n-eu-offic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Theresa May spokesman sparks fresh suspicion of British ‘spying’ on EU officials"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Do any of the tributes to George Bush Snr today (and I fully accept he had some praiseworthy accomplishments) mention Willie Horton?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]nF3mlQm8UjM[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/01/poli ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ndorsement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Do any of the tributes to George Bush Snr today (and I fully accept he had some praiseworthy accomplishments) mention Willie Horton?
Haha AK , another with a long memory ! The G obit is quite er detailed .

The October surprise, Iran Contra, the team B which exaggerated the Soviet military strength , Willie, probably more.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018 ... h-obituary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Also BCCI , suspected as shady when I was in Lux c. 1980 ---

" As a major public figure whose style exuded gentlemanly values, Bush had an unusual number of dubious or conspiratorial connections, some dating back to his involvement in Middle Eastern oil investment in his Texas days. There are plausible suggestions, for example, that he had business connections with the scandal-ridden Bank of Credit and Commerce International, and also with rich Saudi investors, including relatives of Osama bin Laden. "

Best not to look too closely at some of those well-connected patrician types in the City .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Kate Osamor has resigned from the SC after the continuing fuss over her son doing drugs.

Not an episode that has overall shown our "free press" in its best light (and of course, drug use is totally unknown amongst the fourth estate)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Kate Osamor has resigned from the SC after the continuing fuss over her son doing drugs.

Not an episode that has overall shown our "free press" in its best light (and of course, drug use is totally unknown amongst the fourth estate)
I thought the fuss was more about her attempts to muddy the waters over some of her actions?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Kate Osamor has resigned from the SC after the continuing fuss over her son doing drugs.
I thought the fuss was more about her attempts to muddy the waters over some of her actions?
Plus employing him in her office, I think ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

She didn't help herself on occasions, I agree. But its still not hard to see some agendas behind all this I would say.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all
Jes

@DoYouEvenLIf
14h14 hours ago
More
There are now only 5 Living Presidents.

Jimmy Carter 94 years old
Bill Clinton 72 years old
George W Bush 72 years old
Barack Obama 57 years old
Vladimir Putin 66 years old
:D

Another win and still top of the league...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hello, everyone
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" A powerful group inside Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow cabinet is urging Labour to be ready to campaign for a possible second Brexit referendum if Theresa May’s deal is defeated and the party cannot force a general election. The move comes amid signs that support for another public vote is widening at Westminster."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Strange times, when one thinks that having the first ref was a great big mistake ... and not qualifying this one in any way either ... as seriously advisory, whatever (like the Swiss)

Wow ! so what questions are to be posed ?

” As the no-confidence vote is unlikely to pass – meaning the push to trigger an election would fail – it was made clear at the same meeting that Labour should then be ready to take up the option of backing a second referendum campaign if there is no viable alternative.”

I’m scared too about putting Corbyn up with his jobsfirst mumble —

” There is also concern that unless Labour devises a clear line on what its policy will be after Theresa May’s likely defeat, and after it fails to force an election, Corbyn could be exposed in a TV debate that is being planned for two days before the Commons’ meaningful vote.”

Erm … “other parties” , when ?

” In the survey for the People’s Vote campaign, support for staying is now at 55% compared with 45% for leaving the EU once “don’t knows are excluded”. Separate surveys conducted in the four neighbouring London seats represented by Corbyn, shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry, shadow home secretary Diane Abbott and Starmer show overwhelming support, and suggest all four would lose votes to other parties if Labour eventually backed a Brexit deal.”
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ump-russia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"'Mueller knows a lot': Manafort and Cohen moves put Trump in line of fire"
“There aren’t that many people higher in the organization left to be charged. And so that means they must be focusing on people like Roger Stone, maybe Trump Jr, maybe Trump himself.”
https://www.alternet.org/end-game-muell ... eady-trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"End Game: Mueller signaled this week that he’s ready. Is Trump?"
With Donald Trump, it’s always about the money. He is not going to sit in the White House and watch his business empire suffer the same fate as Paul Manafort, who forfeited $46 million to the government as part of his plea deal. He’ll resign with an assurance that he is pardoned for his crimes in the Russia investigation, the same way Nixon resigned with a pardon for his crimes in Watergate.
So Russiagate isn’t that different from Watergate after all. They will end up with the same end game.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Any surveys for the People's Vote campaign (as with any other lobby groups who commission polls) should be treated with scepticism.

And who says this "debate" is taking place anyway? Corbyn has made clear he will not agree to the present BBC proposals.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AK -- I suspect it will not too.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Good piece by Mehdi Hasan on Bush sent. https://theintercept.com/2018/12/01/the ... f-justice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:Good piece by Mehdi Hasan on Bush sent. https://theintercept.com/2018/12/01/the ... f-justice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remembered some of them , and looked at the G obit earlier, which strongly hinted at some of these, but this is FAR more complete !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ump-russia
"'Mueller knows a lot': Manafort and Cohen moves put Trump in line of fire"
“There aren’t that many people higher in the organization left to be charged. And so that means they must be focusing on people like Roger Stone, maybe Trump Jr, maybe Trump himself.”
https://www.alternet.org/end-game-muell ... eady-trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"End Game: Mueller signaled this week that he’s ready. Is Trump?"
With Donald Trump, it’s always about the money. He is not going to sit in the White House and watch his business empire suffer the same fate as Paul Manafort, who forfeited $46 million to the government as part of his plea deal. He’ll resign with an assurance that he is pardoned for his crimes in the Russia investigation, the same way Nixon resigned with a pardon for his crimes in Watergate.
So Russiagate isn’t that different from Watergate after all. They will end up with the same end game.
Haven't looked at Alternet for years, very good indeed . Interesting prediction :-) ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just once it would be nice to see pictorial representation of social care outwith wrinkly handed pathetic neediness.No wonder there is widespread ignorance.Of course,a double edged sword people are so thick that outwith would result in "why do they need it" fuckwittery.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

frog222 wrote:Also BCCI , suspected as shady when I was in Lux c. 1980 ---

" As a major public figure whose style exuded gentlemanly values, Bush had an unusual number of dubious or conspiratorial connections, some dating back to his involvement in Middle Eastern oil investment in his Texas days. There are plausible suggestions, for example, that he had business connections with the scandal-ridden Bank of Credit and Commerce International, and also with rich Saudi investors, including relatives of Osama bin Laden. "

Best not to look too closely at some of those well-connected patrician types in the City .
He may well have written a genuinely warm and apparently fairly classy letter to Clinton when he handed-over to him. After Clinton's handover to Bush jnr, the new Republican team published a stream of bullshit about sabotage by the departing democrat administration. Again, not much mention of the very Atwater/Stone/Trump style of news management there.

I also think it's indicative of just how completely and utterly shit Trump is that there are commentators who can honestly and genuinely want to go out of their way to find nice things to say about Bush Snr and Jnr (and not because of Snrs, death - I think the Mehdi Hasan's piece is excellent in saying that public figures should expect to have their records examined without their personal life and their family's grief being disrespected - I'm sorry for their loss.)
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"It is so unfair to remove barriers we don't have the bastards always do better than us"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

This is from a year ago, but I think it's a nice piece about the UK and national identity and the EU from a specific perspective - I like her writing generally (when it's not about her dog. I can do without dogs.)

Arwa Mahdawi - The joys of an expat, mixed-race, no-faith Christmas holiday
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... mptonshire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation

The proposed reorganisation of local government in Northamptonshire
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gy#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This release strategy was updated in November 2018 and acts as the formal response to the Work and Health Programme official statistics consultation.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Strategy for our Veterans - UK Government Consultation Paper

https://surveys.mod.uk/index.php/948951?lang=en%20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

How about this for an optimistic scenario?

May loses Meaningful Vote.

Vote of no confidence fails (this is the pessimistic bit).

May proposes a Peoples Vote. Her deal vs Remain.

Labour successfully amends the Referendum Bill to change Remain to Remain and Reform in a way that the EU explicitly supports.

Referendum takes place and Remain and Reform comfortably defeats May.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... velopments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gove sets out proposals for greener developments
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ps-elysees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paris rioting: French government considers state of emergency over ‘gilets jaunes’ protests
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Interesting thread...I've always had doubts about Paul Embery.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-miss-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS chiefs look to scrap four-hour A&E maximum wait

Having stick a banana up your whatsit put your advert here Hancock as S of S I expect more of this
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting thread...I've always had doubts about Paul Embery.

I've known he is a nativist crank for a while now.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-miss-out
NHS chiefs look to scrap four-hour A&E maximum wait
Having stick a banana up your whatsit put your advert here Hancock as S of S I expect more of this
Does the wait begin when an ambulance arrives outside the hospital or when you're inside ... ?
OK, we know the answer --
" We often can’t get patients off ambulances and into the department for a doctor to see and examine them for an hour or two, so the 12-hour clock doesn’t start when they arrive. This means although patients are in the department for more than 12 hours they still don’t become a declared hospital “12 hour Admission DTA” statistic, which hides our problems."
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... d-e-winter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW we were advised by the GP to go to A & from an appt.not irregularly,I dislike the it's the patients' fault misrepresentation.