Monday 29th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Monday 29th September 2014

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Cull of the spammers may be due, again, breeding like fleas.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Both the Telegraph and Express are saying that Cameron is promising 7 day opening for GPs.

Wonder how much that'll cost?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Isolator.jpg
The Isolator.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 10210 times
History In Pictures ‏@historyepics 2h2 hours ago
The Isolator, a helmet invented in 1925 that encourages focus and concentration
Now who / what does this remind me of?

Empty could sure do with one of these.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Both the Telegraph and Express are saying that Cameron is promising 7 day opening for GPs.

Doesn't say how long the GPs will be opening for on each of these 7 days though, does he ....

He'd need a massive increase in GP numbers to fulfil that promise - and yes, that'll cost big time.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I've embarked on a one woman campaign to get people registered to vote - started by tweeting this if anyone want to join in :lol: :lol:

Angry Bird Flies
‏@Rosiecat2 You can now register to vote online About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission http://shar.es/1aIsr0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @sharethis #RegToVote2015
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Both the Telegraph and Express are saying that Cameron is promising 7 day opening for GPs.

Well, an absolute fortune but even if you had the riches of Croesus I doubt it would even be possible. Primary Care is in danger of falling over as it is. Where are you going to get all the additional GPs, practice nurses etc to run it? You'd also have to extend 7 day pharmacy as well as there's no point giving someone a prescription they can't pick up until Monday. So pie-in-the-sky it's laughable. He should fix the mess he's made of general practice before creating a new one
McBride, again, asking how this is going to be funded, through cuts or tax increases, and how the Cons can get away with policies being uncosted while Labour can't.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

RobertSnozers wrote:

Well, an absolute fortune but even if you had the riches of Croesus I doubt it would even be possible. Primary Care is in danger of falling over as it is. Where are you going to get all the additional GPs, practice nurses etc to run it? You'd also have to extend 7 day pharmacy as well as there's no point giving someone a prescription they can't pick up until Monday. So pie-in-the-sky it's laughable. He should fix the mess he's made of general practice before creating a new one
And, of course, it's largely bollocks. The vast majority of people who want GP apps are off work because they are sick, not working because they are old (and sick) or off school because they are sick. The steam about getting a GP appointment is largely to to do with people wanting a checki in service that is precisely not like the one available from almost anyone else.
Boy 1 phoned at 5:30 this morning, clearly ill and wanting comfort. Rang practice at 0800, appointment at 1015, antibiotics and sofa nest by 1100.
The NHS is marvellous.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Davis asking Cameron how he, Cameron, would react if he saw two men kissing in public, no mentions of cuts to social security yet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
HindleA wrote:Would someone be kind enough to inform me if Carers Allowance/Carers was mentioned in the freezing of benefits/allowances and if the policy is the same basis as the previous capping ie only the support component/relevant premiums unaffected with the main components frozen,cheers.
ESA and maternity exempt, trying to find other exemptions..

Cheers but WRAG group not exempt and if on the same basis as the capping of 1% only the support component ,not the main component of ESA,is not frozen.This is not a moot point the "support group" protected line emblazoned on the news is in that case a lie ,pure and simple.Have tweeted to a,series of journalists ,particularly at the BBC about this and my disdain of both the coverage and tone of coverage e.g. "are cuts,targeted at the right people",carers I note not even worthy of a mention.Waste of time but you've got to try.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex · 4 mins4 minutes ago
I want to be supportive BUT CANNOT. Another 5mins of that interview and Cam would be snapping Evan's butt with an Oxford towel. #Newsnight

:lol!:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AngryAsWell wrote:Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex · 4 mins4 minutes ago
I want to be supportive BUT CANNOT. Another 5mins of that interview and Cam would be snapping Evan's butt with an Oxford towel. #Newsnight

it really was that bad!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Did that bit about the financial year amuse you, Roger?
I think I missed that bit - my ears closed up in protest.
He was asked about the rise in borrowing this year.

He said somethig like "I'm only interested in the financial year".

Shame Neil didn't have rolling 12 months figures. He'd have probably said "But they only count if they run from April to March".
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

YouGov

Labour 36%
Con 31%
UKIP 16%
LibDem 7%
I still believe in a town called Hope
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://news.sky.com/story/1344368/tory- ... rs-for-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky News has obtained a document circulated to Conservative candidates and MPs on how to deal with some of the trickier questions that might be thrown at them.
The one about Brooks Newmark is good. Basically, nah, nah, can't hear you.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Q. Do you still care about the environment - aren't you cutting the 'green c***'?

A. This Government is the greenest government ever.
Dear O Lord.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex · 4 mins4 minutes ago

it really was that bad!
I don't do telly, I'm a strictly Today, The World At 1 and PM kinda gal (with a large portion of World Service on the side). So it was with a bit of bewilderment and relief we learned Newsnight had elected Evan Davis and not nicked either Naughtie or Mair who I would not like to be without. But of the others, Evan wins prize chump award every time. He can't nail to the wall like the others can, which probably makes him a nicer person but really not Newsnight stuff.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh look, someone's had the same thought as I did earlier today.

Now we can use pensions to avoid inheritance tax

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... e-tax.html
It will be a big incentive for older, especially wealthy, earners to top up their pensions. While the 55pc tax remained in place, putting spare cash into a pension wasn't a very appealing idea. Say someone in their late 50s already had an estate valued at more than the IHT threshold, as well as adequate retirement income lined up. They would probably be advised to start giving away money or other assets to their children, rather than putting it into a pension. They'd need to survive seven years having made the gift, but then there would be no tax payable by the beneficiaries.

Now, with the 55pc tax abolished, putting excess cash into a pension is suddenly back on the list of potentially worthwhile options.
Brilliant.

Well done George - not only abolishing the tax on inherited pension but almost certainly reducing the take from IHT too.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh look, someone's had the same thought as I did earlier today.

Now we can use pensions to avoid inheritance tax

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... e-tax.html
It will be a big incentive for older, especially wealthy, earners to top up their pensions. While the 55pc tax remained in place, putting spare cash into a pension wasn't a very appealing idea. Say someone in their late 50s already had an estate valued at more than the IHT threshold, as well as adequate retirement income lined up. They would probably be advised to start giving away money or other assets to their children, rather than putting it into a pension. They'd need to survive seven years having made the gift, but then there would be no tax payable by the beneficiaries.

Now, with the 55pc tax abolished, putting excess cash into a pension is suddenly back on the list of potentially worthwhile options.
Brilliant.

Well done George - not only abolishing the tax on inherited pension but almost certainly reducing the take from IHT too.
And clearly what the softening up / releasing pension savings was all about in the first place. So you can have it if you need it but if you don't it's not taxed. Good wheeze Gideon, a hidden tax break.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Ha! So Tim Fenton was right, it was Alex Wickham who went on a fishing expedition, and landed himself Brooks Newmark, not some lefty journo then.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

McBride amusing tonight...

https://twitter.com/DPMcBride/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Q. Do you still care about the environment - aren't you cutting the 'green c***'?

A. This Government is the greenest government ever.
Dear O Lord.
Good luck to the MP answering the easiest follow up questions ever!