Monday 29th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Monday 29th September 2014

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Delusional, Scotland votes against independence and Cameron spots an opening.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... eback.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2h
@indycyclist Polls need to more than cross-over.
The Tories will be losing seats to LAB even with a 6% lead

8-)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Christ, Sajid Javid is useless.

That bit about Spain and Greece reducing their deficit faster than us.
"That's because they've got currency issues".

We've cut taxes.
Er, the figures I just gave you were net. They take your tax cut into account.

Useless.

And the bit on Brooks Newmark. I can't comment, I'm in charge.
Prime Minister in waiting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javid really can't keep his anger in check during that interview. He kept snapping at Neil.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Javid is always like that.

"WHY won't you accept my soundbite?"

Because your paid to answer questions.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2h

8-)
If only Labour's front bench was tightened up, I would then be a bit more confident Labour can win with a tidy majority, few obvious ones need to pull their fingers out, and of course, bring back Darling.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stephen Tall ‏@stephentall 7m
Lib Dem members on intervention against ISIS: 59% back air strikes, 49% support sending troops http://bit.ly/1rnfYEk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My how their membership has changed - or should that be reduced?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 13m
Give Brooks Newmark another job in Government, says Boris Johnson http://tgr.ph/1DSh2nu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a good and sensible idea! How about Minister for Social Media? That's the only polite ministry I can think of in response to such a suggestion.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

8-)
If only Labour's front bench was tightened up, I would then be a bit more confident Labour can win with a tidy majority, few obvious ones need to pull their fingers out, and of course, bring back Darling.
Think he could do Reeves' job better than she can- he did it before, and to his credit, decided Universal Credit was a waste of time.

But didn't inspire in his referendum role.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Give Brooks Newmark another job in Government, says Boris Johnson http://tgr.ph/1DSh2nu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a good and sensible idea! How about Minister for Social Media? That's the only polite ministry I can think of in response to such a suggestion.
Minister for Public Decency? :rock:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Think you've got a unnecessary 'l' in there, Ohso. :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

8-)
Think he could do Reeves' job better than she can- he did it before, and to his credit, decided Universal Credit was a waste of time.

Fair point, but Darling is always better with the mechanics of policies, the intricacies, that didn't always make good headlines during indy debates.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Times of London ‏@thetimes 9m
Tories lose further ground to Ukip as #BenefitsStreet star White Dee says she would vote for Nigel Farage’s party http://thetim.es/1u6wjwN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What's happened to politics and journalism .... ?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote: If only Labour's front bench was tightened up, I would then be a bit more confident Labour can win with a tidy majority, few obvious ones need to pull their fingers out, and of course, bring back Darling.

Fair point, but Darling is always better with the mechanics of policies, the intricacies, that didn't always make good headlines during indy debates.
I think he is good in a dry way. I'd say Work and Pensions is about right.

Unfortunately, he didn't win over enough Labour supporters in that referendum. To be fair, he was handicapped by being in the same campaign as the Tories, of whom all but Ruth Davidson were an utter liability.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Well today the tory party relinquished the election. Strange really, I think some level of collective madness has descended upon them. To watch the braying fools baying for more misery whilst the nation watched on was truly an example of individuals educated and promoted far beyond their ability.

Gideon played to the hall and sacrificed an election in may for a standing ovation today.

Priceless.

Then Dumkopf Schhmidt topped it off.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Cameron fan boy wonders if the Tories have a future, the pessimists or the optimists, judging the current mood in the Tory party I think I know who will win out?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... hardliners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a damning read all told, not about Cameron of course, we can't have that.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Temulkar wrote:Well today the tory party relinquished the election. Strange really, I think some level of collective madness has descended upon them. To watch the braying fools baying for more misery whilst the nation watched on was truly an example of individuals educated and promoted far beyond their ability.

Gideon played to the hall and sacrificed an election in may for a standing ovation today.

Priceless.

Christ, I hope so. The Guardian, of course refuses to give Osborne's speech the scorn it fully deserves, very half hearted.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Well. All I can say is as the Conservative conference pours out more and more lies and bile it gets worse, and I didn't think that was possible.

We are looking at evil and chaos in the hands of a bunch of out of control thugs.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Met a PPC earlier, sent me text, was I available to meet her ''yeah, call in, don't worry about the dogs, they don't bite'' blah-de-blah, usual stuff exchanged, she lost my vote when she said ''her husband would love to live in London'' numpties all over the place.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:Well today the tory party relinquished the election. Strange really, I think some level of collective madness has descended upon them. To watch the braying fools baying for more misery whilst the nation watched on was truly an example of individuals educated and promoted far beyond their ability.

Priceless.

Minus some deal with UKIP, and a promise of a much quicker referendum, I think they're stuck.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Met a PPC earlier, sent me text, was I available to meet her ''yeah, call in, don't worry about the dogs, they don't bite'' blah-de-blah, usual stuff exchanged, she lost my vote when she said ''her husband would love to live in London'' numpties all over the place.
Eh? What a really really stupid and empty thing to say ... please tell me it wasn't a Labour PPC?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Priceless.

Minus some deal with UKIP, and a promise of a much quicker referendum, I think they're stuck.
Have we been witnessing the mass suicide of a political party over the last few days? It's felt like it, but I won't be happy until the Conservative Party is no more.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Met a PPC earlier, sent me text, was I available to meet her ''yeah, call in, don't worry about the dogs, they don't bite'' blah-de-blah, usual stuff exchanged, she lost my vote when she said ''her husband would love to live in London'' numpties all over the place.
Eh? What a really really stupid and empty thing to say ... please tell me it wasn't a Labour PPC?
Yeah it was a Labour PPC, she's not one of the favourites fortunately, our ward is voting Thursday night.

@Robert, no it's not her fault, it was probably a throw-away comment, but one picked up by people.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

So rumour has it that another tory is going to defect to UKIP this week. Is it Clegg?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Another classic by Javid. "I take a financial year view" of the deficit.

Shame Neil didn't have a rolling 12 months figure to hand. That might well be worse than the previous 12 months.

You can start a financial year anywhere you like - a July year end would be fine. Perhaps Javid would claim that wasn't a proper financial year or something.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Mon 29 Sep, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

diGriz wrote:So rumour has it that another tory is going to defect to UKIP this week. Is it Clegg?

:lol: :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

This good, very good if true?!

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/labour-de ... dent-vote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :fight:

Good God, Nicky Morgan only has a 3,744 majority, in Loughborough, quite plausible the students will come out to get her scalp?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
That's not her fault though?
I don't know about fault, but saying her husband fancies living in London sounds like she's being nudged into it. She doesn't come across as the brightest bulb in the room.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Priceless.

Christ, I hope so. The Guardian, of course refuses to give Osborne's speech the scorn it fully deserves, very half hearted.
I think Temulkar is right about this, I can't see how this is going to work for their "For Hardworking Families" theme.

It just moves millions of voters into the vote Labour out of self interest camp.

I wonder if the plan is indeed to lose a close election. The problem is I think the Tory party will split and the European civil war will kick off. It may be Osbornes view is it is less painful to have the battle out of government than in it.
Release the Guardvarks.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:[youtube]EDv0S2RdzZk[/youtube]

Paul wondered about the mare Javid had, haven't watched it myself though.
Fuck me, he actually did his job for once.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Priceless.

I think Temulkar is right about this, I can't see how this is going to work for their "For Hardworking Families" theme.

It just moves millions of voters into the vote Labour out of self interest camp.

I wonder if the plan is indeed to lose a close election. The problem is I think the Tory party will split and the European civil war will kick off. It may be Osbornes view is it is less painful to have the battle out of government than in it.
Imagining how all those Scots who voted for YES in the hopes of getting away from Tory shite like this are feeling today ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC News Press Team ‏@BBCNewsPR 4h
Tonight in @EvanHD's first interview as #Newsnight presenter he'll be chatting to @David_Cameron. Tune in to #BBCTwo at 22:30.
One I might have to miss on health grounds.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Night PF.
letsskiptotheleft wrote:This good, very good if true?!

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/labour-de ... dent-vote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :fight:

Good God, Nicky Morgan only has a 3,744 majority, in Loughborough, quite plausible the students will come out to get her scalp?
There is one missing from that list I'd dearly love to see seriously targeted by Labour .... there is a pretty sizeable student population in Sheffield Hallam, and I feel Michael Portillo has had his 'Moment' in the sun for long enough. ;)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote: Christ, I hope so. The Guardian, of course refuses to give Osborne's speech the scorn it fully deserves, very half hearted.

Imagining how all those Scots who voted for YES in the hopes of getting away from Tory shite like this are feeling today ...
Actually I am not sure how much they care given Devo max.

There is no doubt in my mind that iScotland would be looking at a turbo charged austerity package. So they are still better off in, even with these tossers in charge.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: What a good and sensible idea! How about Minister for Social Media? That's the only polite ministry I can think of in response to such a suggestion.
Think you've got a unnecessary 'l' in there, Ohso. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Osborne by concentrating on the ''hardworking taxpayer'' makes the mistake of excluding those who are working, but are only a couple of wages away from being one of those who the Conservatives spent most of the time demonizing, the insecurity people feel isn't being factored in, big, big mistake for the Tories to make.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Night PF.

There is one missing from that list I'd dearly love to see seriously targeted by Labour .... there is a pretty sizeable student population in Sheffield Hallam, and I feel Michael Portillo has had his 'Moment' in the sun for long enough. ;)
Indeedy, time Portillo went off on a never-ending ''sadmanonatrain'' journey.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: I think Temulkar is right about this, I can't see how this is going to work for their "For Hardworking Families" theme.

Actually I am not sure how much they care given Devo max.

There is no doubt in my mind that iScotland would be looking at a turbo charged austerity package. So they are still better off in, even with these tossers in charge.
And Redwood must have created a lot of disquiet and doubt amongst the business community?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

diGriz wrote:

Good grief...he actually did the "hand back to the keys to the people who crashed the car"

:lol:

How on earth did he get a cabinet post after 4 years as an MP?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Night PF.

Indeedy, time Portillo went off on a never-ending ''sadmanonatrain'' journey.
I quite enjoy those programmes, perhaps partly because I realise he is doing less harm these days; mind you, I've been enjoying a Star Trek film * for the past couple of hours, so what do I know? :rofl:

* Frankly with all the doom and gloom around a bit of escapism fitted the bill nicely.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
diGriz wrote:

Good grief...he actually did the "hand back to the keys to the people who crashed the car"

:lol:

How on earth did he get a cabinet post after 4 years as an MP?
Talking about "crashed the car", I am reminded of Michael Sylvain's fairy tale: Gideon and the Magic Money Car
Gideon then proceeded to deliberately drive the car into a wall for three years, claiming that his inability to choose another route was everyone else’s fault but his own, even though it was a choice he made every day. Sometimes he said Gordon built the wall, and at other times, he said that hitting the wall would make us drive faster in the end. And then, when he still didn’t get anywhere, he said that standing still was the right direction, and he tried selling the bonnet, and the wheels, and the engine to some of his friends for far less than they were worth.

When the car still didn’t get anywhere, he stuck a picture of The Confidence Fairy on the dashboard, forced a bunch of unemployed people to push what was left of the car into the same wall he’d been crashing into for the last three years, for which he gave them no money, and claimed this meant they were now employed.
http://onebuttonmonkey.com/obm/2013/3/2 ... y-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by refitman on Mon 29 Sep, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

With all the trolls posting on Labour List with no problems - I get this

Hold on, this is waiting to be approved by LabourList.

So I'm still on moderation there, I have never had a post deleted and I have never used insulting or bad language, what the hell is it about me that MarkF doesn't like? I've emailed him about it and I've even donated to his bloody blog!! (Once, and only a fiver, but still...)
:fire: :fire:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Just watching Javid...the reason that they've been so slow in cutting the deficit...is all down to external factors.

But the reason it came about in the first place...Labour's fault. Global recession - what's that? Only happened here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Wasn't Javid promoted when that woman MP for Basingstoke was sacked because of an expenses fiddle? And at the time wasn't Dave getting stick over how few women MPs he had?

Sorry [hope this doesn't come across the wrong way] but I suspect Javid was a token ethnic replacing a disgraced token female...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Did that bit about the financial year amuse you, Roger?

Spain cutting the deficit much quicker because they had a currency crisis, that was good too.
Wasn't Javid promoted when that woman MP for Basingstoke was sacked because of an expenses fiddle? And at the time wasn't Dave getting stick over how few women MPs he had?
Yes, but Bromsgrove.

Julie Kirkbride could sound like a non-loon. She would have been missed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And before I sign off for the night. Anyone else seen the spoof M&S ad on Twitter?

This is not an ordinary pair of paisley pyjamas. This is a Marks and Spencer Take a Sexy Selfie pair of paisley pyjamas.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Would someone be kind enough to inform me if Carers Allowance/Carers was mentioned in the freezing of benefits/allowances and if the policy is the same basis as the previous capping ie only the support component/relevant premiums unaffected with the main components frozen,cheers.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
WhateverHappenedToAllInThisTogether.jpg
Quite.

When even their own party members can smell the rat ... they should know that most decent people will too.
But what I want to know is, did Mr Riots get his meal of courgettes eventually? :D
Mr Riots was served the quickest vegetable stir fry in history - in which courgettes were the central feature - heavily spiced up with ginger, garlic and all the rest. Gobbled down.

I will be trying out the FTN recipe suggestions in the very near future - courgettes are still romping away in the greenhouse.

(We've got the same glut problem with cucumbers. I've held back from trying a very dubious recipe for cucumber 'ragou' which I spotted in an online newspaper the other day. Need to be feeling super adventurous and brave for that one.)
Peel your cucumbers with a broad peeler, lengthways, and then marinade them in lemon or lime juice, cooled down in the fridge. Serve and be amazed.

Just wanted to prove that I don't actually spend all my time obsessing over politics and difficult children.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

HindleA wrote:Would someone be kind enough to inform me if Carers Allowance/Carers was mentioned in the freezing of benefits/allowances and if the policy is the same basis as the previous capping ie only the support component/relevant premiums unaffected with the main components frozen,cheers.
ESA and maternity exempt, trying to find other exemptions..
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Did that bit about the financial year amuse you, Roger?
I think I missed that bit - my ears closed up in protest.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Chesham&Amersham CLP ‏@CheshamAmersham · 6h
We're looking for a parliamentary candidate for the 2015 general election. Are you a Labour Party member looking for a seat to contest?

Any one in Chesham & Amersham?