Monday 29th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Monday 29th September 2014

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Suddenly he was 'misquoted'.

It's suddenly disappeared off their web page, but I put the link on Twitter earlier:

Here it is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... dwood.html

Labour press are finally retweeting links about it now, Blanchflower and a few others too.
The link not working now
Oh, that's a surprise... Luckily, I'd already printed it to read later. If anyone needed quotes. For historical research purposes.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:Quoted from the Telegraph piece (which is still up btw)

Mr Redwood told a fringe event about Britain's place in the EU that "the only answer for all concerned is for big business to keep out and not express a corporate view". He added: "If they don't understand that now they will find those of us organising the 'get out' campaign will then make life difficult for them by making sure that their customers, their employees and their shareholders who disagree with them - and there will be a lot who disagree with them - will be expressing their views very forcefully and will be destablising their corporate governance.

"This is absolutely crucial that these people get this. That it will be deeply disruptive to their businesses, and maybe even to their own tenure of their jobs, if a chief executive with a handful of shares thinks he can put the voice of a multi-national corporation behind a highly intense political argument in one country in which they operate.

"It would be extremely foolish and we must make sure they have to pay a very dear economic and financial price were they to try that ill-judged thing."

The 'pro-business Tories' eh?
They would be even more foolish to sit on their hands and say nothing if they genuinely feel that being in the EU is beneficial to their businesses (and by implication the customers, shareholders and employees) and see a no vote prevail.

I'm hoping that businesses will turn round to the Tories and tell them to fuck off and mind their own business. On the same day as the Tory whips are threatening to character assassinate rebel/dissident MPs, it's simply bizarre. Aren't the Tories great lovers of free speech?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Redwood is collared by a few CEOs with substantial EU business interests. I suspect that they won't hold back - and nor should they.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Lovely tweet from Andy Burnham
Telling line from @George_Osborne speech: "don’t let anyone in this Party concede the NHS to Labour". Suggests he thinks they already have.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Iain Dale has been told, by a usually reliable source that another UKIP defection is imminent.. :lol:
Please let it be Rusty .......... :lol:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:Quoted from the Telegraph piece (which is still up btw)

Mr Redwood told a fringe event about Britain's place in the EU that "the only answer for all concerned is for big business to keep out and not express a corporate view". He added: "If they don't understand that now they will find those of us organising the 'get out' campaign will then make life difficult for them by making sure that their customers, their employees and their shareholders who disagree with them - and there will be a lot who disagree with them - will be expressing their views very forcefully and will be destablising their corporate governance.

"This is absolutely crucial that these people get this. That it will be deeply disruptive to their businesses, and maybe even to their own tenure of their jobs, if a chief executive with a handful of shares thinks he can put the voice of a multi-national corporation behind a highly intense political argument in one country in which they operate.

"It would be extremely foolish and we must make sure they have to pay a very dear economic and financial price were they to try that ill-judged thing."

The 'pro-business Tories' eh?
As Mr Ohso would say: 'If that's not a threat, my ass is a bloater and we've got fish for tea.' 8-)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

If you're listening to his speech - I think Iain Smith has just abolished unemployment. Or I think that's what he was saying.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I can't help it. Every time I look at :rock: I laugh :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Ernst

Aren't the Tories great lovers of free speech?

Only when it suits them and if the serfs don't get too lippy.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

What? Rolling UC out across the whole country in January-the-New-Year? Guaranteed? For all claimant groups?

I don't believe it (TM)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Apparently the problems with Universal Credit are all behind us now.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Prepaid cards for benefits? I don't. I. What!?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:Prepaid cards for benefits? I don't. I. What!?
You put it much better than I could have done!
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

PorFavor wrote:Apparently the problems with Universal Credit are all behind us now.
And it's downhill all the way.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:
Has that been announced???
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1m
Today's Ashcroft national poll sees LAB & CON level pegging
CON 32%, LAB 32%, LD 8%, UKIP 17%, GRN 4%
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Midwives vote to strike.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Well, it certainly was just now by Iain Smith.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
From AS
Iain Duncan Smith, the work and pensions secretary, is addressing the conference now.
He has just announced that the Department for Work and Pensions will pilot paying benefits for certain troubled families with pre-paid cards, not cash, to stop families wasting money on drink or drugs.
I’ll post more details shortly.

And who will decide just who these certain troubled families are ???
First they came for.....
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
PorFavor wrote: You put it much better than I could have done!
Thanks - I've not got it on - working. Following AS blog for up dates and he's posted it now
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Another candidate for ''**** of the day'' Nick Boles admits todays 16,17,18,19 year olds are going to have to work 50, 60 years, if they are lucky, what about the ones who aren't lucky, work till death, or until the government introduces initiatives like a Soylent Green scenario?

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/tory-mini ... k-forever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PorFavor wrote:
Thank you, PF! My English Language teachers would be proud of me :wink: Honestly, though, sometimes the modern phraseology expresses reaction in a more elegant, more eloquent manner than the more established model of correct English.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Afternoon all.

Thank goodness my work is generally solitary and far away enough for most people not to hear the cussing, swearing and screeching emitted by their lady gardener as lie after lie after misrepresentation is spewed by the Tory mouthpieces on Radio 4.

What a piece of work McLaughlin was defending the freeze on working age benefits .... constantly claiming it was fair .... trying to avoid several times admitting that it does include further penalising people with disabilities and health problems as it includes ESA.

And since then in every news bulletin I've heard the presenter has intoned after the headline statement on the working age benefit freeze that it however 'won't include disabled people'. It bloody will. Get your facts straight.

:fire:
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Yes, he was still saying it as I was typing it :wall:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 7m
Update on UKIP defection. Sources tell me it's not an MP.
Hmmm. That pretty much means a peer then, doesn't it? Or a celebrity known for generally supporting the Tories?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Temulkar wrote:Midwives vote to strike.
Best they get in quick (no, that sounds unfortunate!) Best they get their strike in because one of the grey men speaking today said they will introduce a 50% ballots returned requirement for unions before they can call a strike. And the remit to strike will be time limited, too.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Which means they're probably going to bring in some sort of credit type card which can't be used to buy Cigarettes or drink.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

IDS on Sky news now
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I sat and watched IDS from start to finish, with my little notebook......he told 25 great big fat porkie pies. Yes, 25 deliberate falsehoods.
Those lies were mainly to do with figures, although there were a few on procedural stuff; this demonstrates, and not for the first time, that he is a liar who has no idea how his own policies work and what his staff actually do.

He has finished by quoting Edmund Burke - so his evil will continue because "good" people do nothing? I don't think so.

Pre-paid benefit cards - this has been in the pipeline for some time, first mooted about 2 years ago. We already have people surviving on vouchers (for food banks) if their benefits are delayed or sanctioned; food stamps, effectively. That will get much worse; some local authorities are already using their emergency funds to give people Asda vouchers, which doesn't help for rent or leccy money....
The pre-payment cards will, allegedly, be given only to those families who are known to be "problem" families and who allegedly spend all their benefits on alcohol, drugs, gambling, or debt. Presumably the judge of this is the jobcentre or the deeply ghastly Louise Casey and her mob.
The idea is that these problem people will spend their card money on food. Or something.
Prediction - a whole new black market in pre-paid cards will be the result of this, along with extra profits for the stores which participate.

15-18 year-olds will now be expected to be indoctrinated at school by "jobcentre work coaches" who will be lecturing them about work.
I can see the Heads being really thrilled about that, can't you?
Meanwhile, all people under 21 who have the brass neck not to find work within 6 months will lose benefit unless they do community service or one of the "new apprenticeships". They'll still be unemployed....

And Universal Credit - to be rolled out nationwide from January and in place everywhere in 2 years.....yeah, right.
Prediction - there will be zero improvement in youth unemployment, it'll just be called something else.

Finally - after the reduction in the total benefit cap, working and non-working poor alike can expect a real-terms cut in their benefits.
No rises at all for 2 years for - JSA, ESA, Income Support, tax credits, or Housing Benefit.
Prediction - more people will be homeless, more people will be destitute, and more people will DIE.

This comes as no surprise; as I have been saying for some time, these cuts were inevitable. IDS is a nasty spiteful deluded ideologue.
Unfortunately, the Tory faithful think he's a visionary. So they are nasty spiteful deluded ideologues too......
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Best they get in quick (no, that sounds unfortunate!) Best they get their strike in because one of the grey men speaking today said they will introduce a 50% ballots returned requirement for unions before they can call a strike. And the remit to strike will be time limited, too.
If they try to pull that one, I suspect that the shit will really hit the fan, given that it would make strike ballots quite unique. If MPs are unwilling to submit themselves to the same balloting rules in an election, then they have no legitimacy whatsoever in inflicting such a draconian feature on ordinary people. Even the Tories can't be stupid enough to try that on. Can they?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
From AS
Iain Duncan Smith, the work and pensions secretary, is addressing the conference now.
He has just announced that the Department for Work and Pensions will pilot paying benefits for certain troubled families with pre-paid cards, not cash, to stop families wasting money on drink or drugs.

First they came for.....

Damn their miserable hides. I hadn't read your post when I posted about special cards.

Of course they haven't bothered to check the American equivalent...

Desperate for cash parents buy food and flog it cheap, which is leaving children starving.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
If they try to pull that one, I suspect that the shit will really hit the fan, given that it would make strike ballots quite unique. If MPs are unwilling to submit themselves to the same balloting rules in an election, then they have no legitimacy whatsoever in inflicting such a draconian feature on ordinary people. Even the Tories can't be stupid enough to try that on. Can they?
Oh come on Ernst. :roll: Course they can. Stupid is as stupid does...As they say. ;)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:I sat and watched IDS from start to finish, with my little notebook......he told 25 great big fat porkie pies. Yes, 25 deliberate falsehoods.
Those lies were mainly to do with figures, although there were a few on procedural stuff; this demonstrates, and not for the first time, that he is a liar who has no idea how his own policies work and what his staff actually do.

He has finished by quoting Edmund Burke - so his evil will continue because "good" people do nothing? I don't think so.

Pre-paid benefit cards - this has been in the pipeline for some time, first mooted about 2 years ago. We already have people surviving on vouchers (for food banks) if their benefits are delayed or sanctioned; food stamps, effectively. That will get much worse; some local authorities are already using their emergency funds to give people Asda vouchers, which doesn't help for rent or leccy money....
The pre-payment cards will, allegedly, be given only to those families who are known to be "problem" families and who allegedly spend all their benefits on alcohol, drugs, gambling, or debt. Presumably the judge of this is the jobcentre or the deeply ghastly Louise Casey and her mob.
The idea is that these problem people will spend their card money on food. Or something.
Prediction - a whole new black market in pre-paid cards will be the result of this, along with extra profits for the stores which participate.

15-18 year-olds will now be expected to be indoctrinated at school by "jobcentre work coaches" who will be lecturing them about work.
Meanwhile, all people under 21 who have the brass neck not to find work within 6 months will lose benefit unless they do community service or one of the "new apprenticeships". They'll still be unemployed....

And Universal Credit - to be rolled out nationwide from January and in place everywhere in 2 years.....yeah, right.
Prediction - there will be zero improvement in youth unemployment, it'll just be called something else.

Finally - after the reduction in the total benefit cap, working and non-working poor alike can expect a real-terms cut in their benefits.
No rises at all for 2 years for - JSA, ESA, Income Support, tax credits, or Housing Benefit.
Prediction - more people will be homeless, more people will be destitute, and more people will DIE.

This comes as no surprise; as I have been saying for some time, these cuts were inevitable. IDS is a nasty spiteful deluded ideologue.
Unfortunately, the Tory faithful think he's a visionary. So they are nasty spiteful deluded ideologues too......

Can I pinch he told 25 big fat lies and tweet it?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: Best they get in quick (no, that sounds unfortunate!) Best they get their strike in because one of the grey men speaking today said they will introduce a 50% ballots returned requirement for unions before they can call a strike. And the remit to strike will be time limited, too.
Oh come on Ernst. :roll: Course they can. Stupid is as stupid does...As they say. ;)
I'd rather hope that even Tory MPs, when faced with the sort of - very valid - criticism such hypocrisy would engender, would sit down and realise just how bad it would look, and would be up for instant repeal under any other government. It would at once strip away the pretense that Tories are OK with unions (when we know they aren't), but a lot more people - ordinary folk - would suddenly get it. It's a direct assault on working rights and democracy in one.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 7m
Hmmm. That pretty much means a peer then, doesn't it? Or a celebrity known for generally supporting the Tories?
Could be an MEP...which means, despite the denial, it could be Hannan.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Somebody wrote:

From AS

First they came for.....

I have discovered one way to put a Tory or any sort of bigot off his stride when they're on about the wrong sort of people getting benefits.

Ask them who judges the judges. Who would they like to judge whether they were worthy. They splutter ever such a lot but so far I haven't found one who can answer it.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 29 Sep, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I sat and watched IDS from start to finish, with my little notebook......he told 25 great big fat porkie pies. Yes, 25 deliberate falsehoods.

I already Tweeted this

Flythenest Haven ‏@FlythenestHaven 36s
Read about #IDS twenty five lies via @ephemerid213 http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?p=6018#p6018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @FlythenestHaven @GdnPolitics @IndyPolitics

hope it's OK with ephemerid ;-)
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 7m
He still insists he would prefer to be in the tent pissing out, I'm not entirely convinced.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AS blog back to beta but the pinched our pale pinky grey colour! And changed the font
Looks a bit better
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: If they try to pull that one, I suspect that the shit will really hit the fan, given that it would make strike ballots quite unique. If MPs are unwilling to submit themselves to the same balloting rules in an election, then they have no legitimacy whatsoever in inflicting such a draconian feature on ordinary people. Even the Tories can't be stupid enough to try that on. Can they?
I'd rather hope that even Tory MPs, when faced with the sort of - very valid - criticism such hypocrisy would engender, would sit down and realise just how bad it would look, and would be up for instant repeal under any other government. It would at once strip away the pretense that Tories are OK with unions (when we know they aren't), but a lot more people - ordinary folk - would suddenly get it. It's a direct assault on working rights and democracy in one.
I agree, but with how they're thrashing about in total confusion and throwing out serious threats which is pointing to total meltdown, I honestly wouldn't put it past them. They've shown they have no regard or respect for the law.
I am so glad I've lived long enough to see them begin a long and I hope permanent decline, but the wreckage they're leaving behind is appalling.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I already Tweeted this

Flythenest Haven ‏@FlythenestHaven 36s
Read about #IDS twenty five lies via @ephemerid213 http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?p=6018#p6018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @FlythenestHaven @GdnPolitics @IndyPolitics

hope it's OK with ephemerid ;-)
Good one! :clap:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I don't think those social security cuts are serious, are they?

Political trap again. Osborne and Alexander haven't tried anything like that ambitious so far.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Sounds like another utter numpty in the DfE...

AWonlocation @AWonlocation · 4h
Gyimah: in 2010, 1/3rd of pupils left school unable to read, write or do maths "and this breaks my heart". #cpc14

AWonlocation @AWonlocation · 4h
Bousted: "It doesn't help when politicians misuse statistics" and berates Gyimah's 1/3rd argument. #cpc14

and then...

Laura McInerney @miss_mcinerney · 2h
Sam Gyimah says on fringe panel that TeachFirsters don't do QTS. Don't worry, have had a word.

Oh dear...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Thank you for listening to IDS so that I didn't have to.
There really aren't words for him, 'nasty spiteful deluded ideologue' is too polite. :sick: :fire: :wall:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Not a lawyer, even a barrack room one, but this looks like it's got "set up a row with liberal judges" written all over it.

So someone really wants drugs. They have a pre-payment card that they can only get food with. Drugs, drugs, if only I... swapped it with my mate for cash!

What was the dealer's number again?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Hmmm. That pretty much means a peer then, doesn't it? Or a celebrity known for generally supporting the Tories?
He still insists he would prefer to be in the tent pissing out, I'm not entirely convinced.
But did he say who's tent he would prefer to be in?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Reading a Tweet about IDS decrying drinking I assume he was only on about the working classes.

I do wonder if for all their expensive educations he and his fellow Tories ever read a social history book or even one written by the most famous Conservative of all Winston Churchill.

(1) Drinking usually increases when times get hard. It's the poor mans way of relaxing and forgetting his miseries for a few hours a week.
(2) The two items Churchill didn't put on rationing was alcohol, and cigarettes, because he knew that when times are hard people need something to turn to for relaxation. He'd get more out of them in the long run.

Nowadays we'd include drugs. But the drift is the same, and the need will always be there for many.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:LadyCentauria wrote:

From AS

First they came for.....

I have discovered one way to put a Tory or any sort of bigot off his stride when they're on about the wrong sort of people getting benefits.

Ask them who judges the judges. Who would they like to judge whether they were worthy. They splutter ever such a lot but so far I haven't found one who can answer it.
I can't take credit for the quote up there, so could you delete my name please? I love the tip on how to put Tories and sundry bigots off their stride and will use it, come canvassing season here!
Kay Burley, on Sky News, stopped IDS in his tracks and into stunned silence when she asked him, after his speech, whether he was the Tory who is rumoured to be about to defect to UKIP. Was hilarious. He can't think on his feet. Or on any other part of his anatomy. Of course he denied it once he regained his composure. Said no-one had ever asked him anything like that before! She also pressed him on putting the greatest burden on the poorest people in order to balance the books, and many other awkward (for him) questions. Sorry I can't remember what they all were but she was v good and he was :pwned: :clap: :dance: :rofl:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

LadyCentauria wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:LadyCentauria wrote:

From AS

First they came for.....

I can't take credit for the quote up there, so could you delete my name please? I love the tip on how to put Tories and sundry bigots off their stride and will use it, come canvassing season here!
Kay Burley, on Sky News, stopped IDS in his tracks and into stunned silence when she asked him, after his speech, whether he was the Tory who is rumoured to be about to defect to UKIP. Was hilarious. He can't think on his feet. Or on any other part of his anatomy. Of course he denied it once he regained his composure. Said no-one had ever asked him anything like that before! She also pressed him on putting the greatest burden on the poorest people in order to balance the books, and many other awkward (for him) questions. Sorry I can't remember what they all were but she was v good and he was :pwned: :clap: :dance: :rofl:
Good Lord - Sky sticking one up Duncan Cough? Shurely shome mishtake? Still, most amusing.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I've just ventured onto AS blog - and come away from it immediately.

What the hell are they doing .... it's unreadable.

Have completed their feedback survey in words of one syllable.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Not a lawyer, even a barrack room one, but this looks like it's got "set up a row with liberal judges" written all over it.

So someone really wants drugs. They have a pre-payment card that they can only get food with. Drugs, drugs, if only I... swapped it with my mate for cash!

What was the dealer's number again?
I posted earlier. They have that sort of system in some American States and guess who still end up suffering the most? The kiddies. I know it shouldn't happen but it does.

It's dead easy to make sure youngsters don't go without food. Now there are catering facilities in schools how hard would it be to provide a free breakfast, lunch and tea?