Monday 10th December 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 10th December 2018

Post by PorFavor »

Well, what a relief it is to have got the first bit of our end of "Brexit" sorted out so expeditiously.

Shows how smoothly things can be done when you don't have to sort stuff out with 27 other countries.

Edited - typo
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The longer May drags this out the more the options narrow.

I think a further referendum is already dead. A GE will need decisive action soon to get one through in time. A push for a softer, single market approach needs to happen before May goes back to the EU.

If none of these things happen imminently, May's "my deal or no deal" is very quickly going to be the only choice on offer.

I wasn't able to catch the debate, btw, but my husband said Corbyn was pretty awful, and he's a Corbyn supporter so I can only assume it really wasn't a great response. Probably best if I don't watch it. Caught a bit of May getting stressy towards the end, though. Kicking cans down the road is oh so tempting but she's rapidly running out of road. Will parliament step up and force the issue, or are they going to let her fudge it down to the wire?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The former prime minister, David Cameron, has said he does not regret calling the referendum which led to Brexit.
"I don’t regret calling a referendum. I made a promise in the election to call a referendum and I called the referendum.
Obviously, I’m very concerned about what’s happening today but I do support the prime minister in her efforts to try
and have a close partnership with the European Union. That’s the right thing to do and she has my support.
"
oh, my gracious lord
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Am I alone finding today's Hansard a gripping page-turner?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

@BBCNews

Commons Speaker approves call from Jeremy Corbyn for emergency debate on the PM's decision to delay #BrexitVote
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

3.45 pm
Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North) (Lab)

---
We are in an extremely serious and unprecedented situation. The Government have lost control of events and are in complete disarray. It has been evident for weeks that the Prime Minister’s deal does not have the confidence of this House, yet she ploughed on regardless, reiterating “This is the only deal available.” Can she be clear with the House: is she seeking changes to the deal, or mere reassurances? Does she therefore accept the statement from the European Commission at lunchtime, saying that it was the

only deal possible. We will not renegotiate—our position has…not changed”?

Ireland’s Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has said it is “not possible” to renegotiate the Irish border backstop, stating that it was the Prime Minister’s own red lines that made the backstop necessary. So can the Prime Minister be clear: is she now ready to drop further red lines in order to make progress? Can the Prime Minister confirm that the deal presented to this House is not off the table, but will be re-presented with a few assurances? Bringing back the same botched deal, either next week or in January—and can she be clear on the timing?—will not change its fundamental flaws or the deeply held objections right across this House, which go far wider than the backstop alone.
---
There is no point at all in this Prime Minister bringing back the same deal again, which is clearly not supported by this House.
---
We have endured two years of shambolic negotiations. Red lines have been boldly announced and then cast aside. We are now on our third Brexit Secretary, and it appears that each one of them has been excluded from these vital negotiations. We were promised a precise and substantive document, and we got a vague 26-page wishlist. This Government have become the first Government in British history to be held in contempt of Parliament.
---
The Prime Minister is trying to buy herself one last chance to save this deal. If she does not take on board the fundamental changes required, she must make way for those who can.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... opeanUnion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Desperate Theresa May reveals her Brexit plan B: buy more time

The prime minister now hopes to secure an exchange of letters or side-declarations pledging that the backstop in the withdrawal agreement, which could keep the UK in an indefinite customs union, would be temporary and unlikely to come into force. However, Downing Street admitted that the document may not be legally binding, meaning it was not clear they would satisfy sceptical MPs, amid intense pressure from rebel Tories and the Democratic Unionist party to ditch the backstop. (Guardian - my emphasis)
Pointless and ridiculous. And fairly obvious even to a lay-person.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -more-time
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Theresa May has ruled out abandoning Brexit after the European court ruled that the UK could stop the article 50 process without seeking EU approval.
...an emergency ruling on Monday morning that under EU law, the UK was able to unilaterally halt the article 50 process...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ourt-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May's withdrawal agreement with the EU is all her government can get given their red lines
The UK has other options and government won't acknowledge that
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

All May is interested in is keeping Tory leadership - herself as leader or another Tory - regardless of consequences
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... ally-about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"row over whether Jeremy Corbyn and no confidence motions is really about Brexit
Jeremy Corbyn is coming under pressure to trigger a vote he can’t win. Here’s why." (Stephen Bush)