Thursday 13th December 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 13th December 2018

Post by PorFavor »

So I did . . .
Labour plans to 'throw kitchen sink' to force May's hand on Brexit

Opposition considering all options to prevent government running down the clock
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-vote
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

As an aside -

I'm nervous of Labour pushing for a General Election. A loss would be a disaster. If another referendum were held first, then Labour could tailor any election campaign\manifesto to the result.

I think it would be prudent to re-jig the wish-list - Referendum first, General Election second.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bloody freezing, n'est pas?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:As an aside -

I'm nervous of Labour pushing for a General Election. A loss would be a disaster. If another referendum were held first, then Labour could tailor any election campaign\manifesto to the result.

I think it would be prudent to re-jig the wish-list - Referendum first, General Election second.
Interesting.....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:As an aside -

Interesting.....
Ha! Is that one of your "interesting" interestings - or just an interesting?

Edited - typo
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

US Senate has passed a resolution saying that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is responsible for Jamal Khashoggi's death (Sky TV news).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Like this...facts are important.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I saw that 'Toby Young' was trending on that Twitter earlier and responses seemed to confirm a rather peculiar conundrum.

This is, that people who call most for free speech with no consequences and nobody able to take offence (especially on other's behalf) are the very same people who react the most and say "how dare you!" when one of their own is called x,y,x...almost like they're a bunch of utter hypocrites.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Final Question Time for Dimbleby tonight. I wonder if they'll do a montage of his best bits to music at the end?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Bloody freezing, n'est pas?
Indeed, my giant cardie that's so stretched now it nearly reaches my knees has had to make an appearance.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time report.

This week from London, which is apparently down South somewhere and full of rude shouty people.

Two tories on tonight from either side of the divide.

For the ERG we had David Davis. It now becomes clear why David pissed about so much doing bugger all when he was brexit secretary because according to him only the last couple of months matter and he seems convinced that the EU are just pretending to be refusing to renegotiate the withdrawal agreement. If it had been left up to him he claims he'd have waited until literally the very last second of March 29th before agreeing to anything. So not just thick as mince but also a dangerous lunatic. His complacency was staggering and throughout it all he sat there with a vacuous grin on his face as if he didn't have a care in the world. Presumably because he's well off enough to be insulated from the effects of his own idiocy.

For team May (sort of) we had Nicky Morgan. Nicky it seems is still trying to promote and defend May's deal which is an obviously fruitless and I dare say thankless task, but at least she's sane enough to recognise the disaster no deal would be so as far as the tories go she's one of the 'good' guys. As such I suspect that she'll end up playing a part in whatever cross party compromise we end up having after May's deal is eventually defeated.

For Labour we had Angela Rayner. Angela didn't just stick to the party line but went much further in expressing her obviously considerable distaste for the idea of a second referendum. Which seemed to (quite rightly I'd say) annoy some Labour members in the audience. She also claimed it was Labour that had forced the government into having the meaningful vote which is bollocks, that was Gina Miller, which was pointed out to her by another Labour member in the audience. So she didn't cover herself in glory.

Then we had Caroline Lucas for the Greens. Caroline was great because I agreed with everything she said so therefore she was evidently right about everything. She called once again for a people's vote, pointed out David Davis' uselessness to his smirking face, decried Labour's cynical prevarication and politicking, and treated an idiot in the audience who claimed she was betraying 'people who died in wars for our freedom' with far more respect than he deserved.

And finally Jo Brand who said she wanted another referendum and told a member of the audience that she'd sit on his face.

As this was Dimbleby's last outing he got a standing ovation which seemed to genuinely move him which was nice to see.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

David Dimbleby says goodbye after 25 years on Question Time

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... stion-time

Here's one of my favourite moments involving a sardonic Dimbleby interjection when he was at the height of his powers.

Eric Pickles defending his expenses.

[youtube]6MrFV4c_sVY[/youtube]