Thursday 20th December 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 20th December 2018

Post by HindleA »

There is no appropropriate "balance" that doesn't result in pernicious consequence
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Necessary results in a question exactly how much harm can be caused in the pursuit of "fairness"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/2 ... _disaster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mark Zuckerberg did everything in his power to avoid Facebook becoming the next MySpace – but forgot one crucial detail… No one likes a lying asshole"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Exiting the European Union Committee
Oral evidence: The progress of the UK's negotiations on EU withdrawal, HC 372
Wednesday 19 December 2018
http://data.parliament.uk/writteneviden ... 94452.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holiday reading :D , some actual experts.

This bit caught my eye, as willow has been asking.
a point that I do not think has been fully appreciated in the British debate. There is actually only really one deadline. We have lots of other deadlines, and I realise there are domestic parliamentary deadlines to consider as well, in a way, but if an agreement is signed at one minute to 11—because it is not midnight, obviously—and it is one that both sides think they could pass, time will be made domestically to allow it to happen. Talk of earlier cliff edges leads people to miss this.
That was Sam Lowe, CER.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Mark Steel
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/je ... 92891.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It’s true that in July, chancellor Philip Hammond was seen mouthing the words “stupid woman” at a female MP, but that’s an entirely different phrase from “stupid woman”, which it’s claimed the Labour leader said. Because sometimes “stupid woman” means a woman you regard as stupid, and other times it refers to a woman whose views and outlook you respect with great reverence. It’s one of those quirks of English that make it such a colourful language.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was out in Halifax tonight, a weird mix of a place, half the town is proper old fashioned Yorkshire and the other half is cool new little venues and bars and restaurants, It's a curious juxtaposition of cultures. But the difference of opinion on Brexit was predictable and stark.

I didn't exactly question everyone about their views on leaving the EU, just cunningly dropped a few hints here and there so subtle a large man with heavily tattooed arms threatened to punch me because I wasn't patriotic enough. To be honest I was taking the piss out of him at the time.

But seriously it's a place that I think presents a microcosm of the country.

Young outward looking people setting up businesses while old people sit in the pub moaning about their town not being the same as it was in 1968.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Also I'm delighted not to be doing the Question Time review this week.

I'm not sure how accurate a review I give after a bottle of wine and a couple of spliffs.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyhoo, how hard is it to get a trained eagle to take down a drone?

Ask the Dutch.

[youtube]tKNN49idCUo[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

All we need now is Jeremy Corbyn to support a second referendum and blow the Tory party apart.

But he wont.

Because that wouldn't suit his purposes.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

gilsey wrote:Exiting the European Union Committee
Oral evidence: The progress of the UK's negotiations on EU withdrawal, HC 372
Wednesday 19 December 2018
http://data.parliament.uk/writteneviden ... 94452.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holiday reading :D , some actual experts.
Professor Barnard: It has to be unanimity, because article 50(3) clearly says “unanimously”. There are just two other points. First, there is quite a lot of discussion about whether you can pause article 50. Article 50 does not envisage any possibility of pausing. The only thing it envisages is that it could be possible to delay the implementation date of the withdrawal agreement, which is one rather overlooked dimension of the article 50 provision. Pausing is unlikely, and it is even more unlikely in the light of Wightman. Wightman says, albeit in the context of revocation, I agree, that it has to be an unequivocal and unconditional decision. A pause does not seem to be unequivocal or unconditional, because by definition a pause is just that.
That's only the second time I've seen the suggestion that the implementation of the withdrawal agreement could (could have?) been delayed.
It would need the agreement altering because it has dates included in it, rather than all being relative to 'exit date', and might cause other problems (EU parliament elections & budgets ,etc) but could a small delay allow time for a second referendum and/or possible revocation of article 50( depending on whether the deadline on revocation is 'exit date' or signing the withdrawal agreement (not sure).
)