Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th December 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th December 2018

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... l-defender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flood defences: how willow proved to be a natural defender
Caught my eye for some reason. Can't think why.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Still doing his "playhouse" occasionally on R4/4xtra.
"You'll have had your tea,".
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The absence of a "PTO" has been noted.

Edited to add -

Blatant dereliction of duty.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Indeed, as with so much else let us hope for better in 2019 ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PorFavor wrote:The absence of a "PTO" has been noted.

Edited to add -

Blatant dereliction of duty.

???
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This thread's getting praised but as far as I can see falls into the same traps as the original campaign.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know there's at least one here who'd dispute this.
total disengagement from Labour
Then there's this.
they thought a country-wide referendum electorate as fundamentally rational - as middle class - as the Cameron hinterlands.
Where to start?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well maybe the point is its not as bad as some #FBPE stuff (or, indeed, Kate Godfrey stuff) But yes, there are still some rather glaring holes in the "analysis".
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:This thread's getting praised but as far as I can see falls into the same traps as the original campaign.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know there's at least one here who'd dispute this.
total disengagement from Labour
Then there's this.
they thought a country-wide referendum electorate as fundamentally rational - as middle class - as the Cameron hinterlands.
Where to start?
A majority of Tory voters (and that would have made them Cameron voters in 2015) ended up voting leave so they were right about the key constituent they needed to win over to remain in order to win. Just wrong about their level of rationality, I guess.

And Labour was invisible during the referendum campaign. I'm not saying that's due to lack of trying, the media may have under-reported, but Labour definitely lacked the influence and impact that they had during the Scottish independence vote.

Overall the campaign was lazy (rather like the PM who led it) but the main mistake was to try to undo 30 years of drip, drip anti-EU propaganda in just 6 months. Indeed, it was such an obvious mistake, it's hard to believe it was a mistake at all and not a deliberate dive on the part of Cameron who demanded a white paper from the SNP in support of their referendum, which was announced 2 years before the vote, but placed no such demands or safeguards on his own.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What is rational anyway, I don't have to avoid work for 60 odd hours a week for the legal minimum, pay to stagger around for miles on end, bore the shit of people here etc,playing the martyr/masochism is a fundamental part of being human,regardless of supposed class.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote: And Labour was invisible during the referendum campaign. I'm not saying that's due to lack of trying, the media may have under-reported, but Labour definitely lacked the influence and impact that they had during the Scottish independence vote.
A bit to unpack there, firstly the "lack of visibility" was due to not repeating the Scottish mistake and doing joint platforms with Dave/Gidiot. Indeed, thanks to the swift electoral consequences of that we can likely say Labour won't be in a hurry to do any more "joint campaigns" in future referendums any time soon.

The media were mostly too lazy to report Labour's pro-remain campaigning, it was easier in all senses for them to treat it as just an inter-Tory battle. And then there is the inconvenient fact that the official "head" of that campaign - Alan Johnson - was more than a bit lazy themselves :twisted:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

People spend massive amounts to get intoxicated and gauge their enjoyment by the extent of them not remembering it.I used to,I make no judgement.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If is my designated duty to do the PTO,I want at least an offer of an MBE,so I can refuse it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I would say the extent of "visibility" or not does not result in a unique response.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... l-13793289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

250,000 disabled people told to fill in 'senseless' 45-page form to win back their benefits

Nothing new in this by the rogue department,I was expected to furnish five years of wage slips pertaining to ten years previously already given.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... 0-13791144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 85596.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Screw compassion and satisfying sufficient neediness for the glorification of others return the necessary complexity,restore the removed and mutually beneficial economic sense of timely
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What lesson is supposedly learnt beyond the State can enact misanthropy and false economic fuckwittery with general support in principle?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And the to the point of reverence regard for deemed experts who knew naff all and know now even less?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yoda I think turned into I've.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:Yoda turned into I have
FIFY
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Today's 'who'd have thought it' cracker...

No-deal Brexit ferry company owns no ships and has never run Channel service
Seaborne hopes to operate freight ferries from Ramsgate from late March, beginning with two ships and increasing to four by the end of the summer. But Paul Messenger, a Conservative county councillor for Ramsgate, questioned whether the government had carried out sufficient checks on the firm, telling the BBC: “It has no ships and no trading history so how can due diligence be done?
I think Chris Morris needs to come up with some kind of app that will automatically have him read these headlines in the style of The Day Today.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Goodness, I go looking for a trailer for the essential New Years Eve film and find the whole thing on youtube

No Surrender

Can't find a trailer - here's a clip. New Years Eve, Liverpool, 80s. The new manager of a club arrives for his first night to find his predecessor has double booked NYE parties for the Orange Lodge pensioner's association and the Catholic Pensioner's Club.

[youtube]aN-h_K86_zA[/youtube]