Thursday 17th January 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 17th January 2019

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
6m ago 16:52

John Sentamu, the archbishop of York, is urging people to join him in praying for MPs. “The weight of their calling is too much to bear in their own strength,” he says. (Politics Live, Guardian)
MPs' buckling strength
the weight of government's failure landing on us all
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:
6m ago 16:52

John Sentamu, the archbishop of York, is urging people to join him in praying for MPs. “The weight of their calling is too much to bear in their own strength,” he says. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Probably as useful as anything else we can think of.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Re the above comment by Willow - yes, our PM cannot unilaterally rule out "no deal" in a legal sense. But she could make clear it was off the table POLITICALLY speaking.

The two are not actually the same (something "legal Twitter" often seems to have problems with)
Why do you say she can't rule it out? As I understand it she's the one who can revoke A50. Do you think she couldn't win a vote in Parliament on that on March 27?
May might need parliament approval to send a letter revoking article 50 or she might not. If there are around 100 hard Brexiteers who are willing to crash out with no deal, you would assume she wouldn't have too much trouble finding a cross party majority to do it anyway. The bit you have to look out for is the withdrawal bill passed last summer. Regardless of letters sent to the EU stating our intention to remain, the withdrawal bill will still take us out on the 29th March 2019 unless it's amended. Still assuming she could find a majority for this, the really important bit is that it will need time, not a great deal, but probably more than a couple of days.

BTW when May has indicated an extension to article 50 may be necessary, I suspect this is because she's expecting to use the imminent threat of no deal Brexit to get her deal through and would then need an extension to allow the necessary time for ratification.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

In other news, our kitten didn't need surgery in the end. Two courses of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and 5 excruciating days in a cone collar and the hole from the puncture wound finally filled in and healed over. He just got the all clear from the vet this morning. Not sure when we'll be letting him outside again though, he might be on an after dark curfew for a while, until he gets big enough to square up to the bully cat that's been attacking him.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:In other news, our kitten didn't need surgery in the end. Two courses of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and 5 excruciating days in a cone collar and the hole from the puncture wound finally filled in and healed over. He just got the all clear from the vet this morning. Not sure when we'll be letting him outside again though, he might be on an after dark curfew for a while, until he gets big enough to square up to the bully cat that's been attacking him.
Good! But, as you suggest you might do for the time being (ie until he's bigger) -

Lock him up! (To coin a phrase.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Royals have once again obliged!

Philip is pregnant (or something).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Must admit I am mildly impressed he is still driving at his age tbh.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Must admit I am mildly impressed he is still driving at his age tbh.
One hopes that's the last time.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is anyone here going to give BBC TV Question Time another whirl?
Panellists: Rory Stewart, Diane Abbott, Kirsty Blackman, Isabel Oakeshott.

Edited to add -

BBC1, 10.45pm, tonight
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Is anyone here going to give BBC TV Question Time another whirl?
Panellists: Rory Stewart, Diane Abbott, Kirsty Blackman, Isabel Oakeshott.

Edited to add -

BBC1, 10.45pm, tonight
Hmmm
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Anagrams of the first tend to flowery twats territory ;-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Rory Stewart seems intelligent, but he has some strange ideas and tends to draw some very dubious conclusions. Isobel Oakeshott is just infuriating.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thanks - if I haven't nodded off............
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm not sure I can handle Oakshott and Abbot for an hour.

The Lucy Worsley thing on BBC 4 where she debunks American historical myths was good though.

Did you know the Statue of Liberty was originaly designed sporting a veil because she was first offered to Egypt to stand at the entrance of the Suez canal?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I'm not sure I can handle Oakshott and Abbot for an hour.

The Lucy Worsley thing on BBC 4 where she debunks American historical myths was good though.

Did you know the Statue of Liberty was originaly designed sporting a veil because she was first offered to Egypt to stand at the entrance of the Suez canal?
I really wanted to watch the BBC 4 thing. Then I forgot. So annoying.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

There's alway Iplayer.

Ho hum, time to dive in and see how annoyed I can get this week.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I'm bailing out.

Strong support for No Deal in that audience :-(
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm bailing out.

Strong support for No Deal in that audience :-(
I would question whether people actually know what "no deal" means. I have seem some thinking it means 'there's no deal, so we don't brexit', or 'not T. May's deal' and not understand the full ramifications of it. O

Again, don't think the media have done an adequate job properly explaining it (quelle suprise).
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sigh...that was dispiriting.

Ok, I'm going to get this over with quickly.

Derby, yuck too much gammon.

Isabel Oakeshott: Repulsive populist.

Diane Abbott: Hopeless.

Rory Stewart: Should never have become a Tory MP. Now forced to sound like an idiot.

Kirsty Blackman: Did fine.

Anand Menon: Only highlight of the programme.

Fiona Bruce: Did the best with what she had to work with from the panel and audience which was precious little.

That was one of the dumbest audiences I've seen on Question Time for months which is quite an achievement.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: I would question whether people actually know what "no deal" means.
They had an actual Professor of European politics and foreign affairs from King’s College London on tonight explaining it to them but were much happier to whoop and clap at an idiot journalist whose only interest in their cause is how she can use it to advance her career and make money out of it.

They're morons.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And as if by magic a toasted cheese sandwich has made everything ok again.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm sorry if my Question Time review wasn't up to the usual rambling bollocks standard but for the first time in a long time I just couldn't be arsed.

It was a horrorshow from beginning to end with shouty brexiters living up to every stereotype.

With Diane Abbott once again making me worry about her as I watched her hands shake.

While a repugnant slug of flesh called Isabel Oakeshott roused her modern blackshirts.

I can't say this was particularly terrifying as today's blackshirts would appear to be mostly retired or in late middle age, just give them some slippers and settle them down in front of Emmerdale and they'll be fine.

In fact why not just tell them Brexit has happened? Just pretend?

They'd never know the difference.