Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th January 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th January 2019

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://consult.education.gov.uk/higher ... for-views/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Independent Review of TEF: Call for views.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th January 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... tributions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funding the education sector for teacher pensions increases
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... medication" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Policy paper

Getting medication
Information for patients on how they will continue to receive medicines and treatment if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46912055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Differences in GP access across England 'shocking'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

DWP Select Committee have written to marred bud re couple penalty pension credit changes under UC.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... l-suggests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... n-eu-staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A Best for Britain spokesman said the polling also showed that the vast majority of Labour voters would not desert the party if it committed to cancelling Brexit. It said the overall picture was skewed by Conservative and Ukip voters, but conceded that those were the voters the party needed to win over at the next general election.
Alternatively, do the right thing and then concentrate on getting young people to turn out to vote.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/br ... 34411.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's time to forget about the fantasy of a Norway-plus Brexit deal – it would be so damaging for Leave constituencies like mine
:(

Those clinging to the hope of somehow being able to remain are going to drive us to an ultra hard Brexit. And they're not helping themselves, either. Focusing on the negatives of single market membership highlights the negatives of remaining, also. The Tory obsession with independent trade deals is being echoed uncritically by the left, helping to convince voters we have to cut all ties with Europe so we can what? Get taken to the cleaners by the USA? It'll be TTIP on steroids. Having to negotiate trade deals on our own without the massive EU market to tempt other parties into meaningful concessions is not a good thing.

:wall:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Steve Bullock

@GuitarMoog
10h10 hours ago
Our “Rolls-Royce” government has been shown to actually be a diplomatic and political Morris Marina in shite-brown, with ripped vinyl seats, a slow puncture, and wipers that don’t work in the rain.

18 replies 51 retweets 228 likes
Reply 18 Retweet 51 Like 228 Direct message

Steve Bullock

@GuitarMoog
10h10 hours ago
More
How anybody can still think that taking back control (even if Brexit was that, which it isn’t) could be a good thing when it means the future of the UK is placed in the hands of such intellectual and moral failures is utterly beyond me.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The negatives of Norway+ are the negatives of any brexit.
Take your rules from the EU or from the US.

Is remain really more unlikely than any other outcome?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... what-to-do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockpiling insulin for no-deal: 'If I run out, I have no idea what to do'
A man with diabetes explains why he has a fridge full of medicine in case of a hard Brexit
This is the cost of delay.

If the delay leads to us staying in the EU after all, maybe it's worth it, but how likely is that? Chukka Umunna admitted recently that a further referendum doesn't have the votes in parliament. So what can trump May's deal? All this farting around trying to rule out "no deal" (such as the extremely convoluted Boles amendment) worries me as it suggests there's no majority for any positive action that can end the deadlock. I'm very much with the EU on this - extending article 50 to scratch our heads a bit more is not acceptable, parliament has to settle this now.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote:
A Best for Britain spokesman said the polling also showed that the vast majority of Labour voters would not desert the party if it committed to cancelling Brexit. It said the overall picture was skewed by Conservative and Ukip voters, but conceded that those were the voters the party needed to win over at the next general election.
Alternatively, do the right thing and then concentrate on getting young people to turn out to vote.
Poll says Labour won't attract Brexit backing Tory & Ukip voters, if they don't back Brexit???? Also, without being able to see the results, how are we able to judge from what appears to be a hastily written, bash Labour piece.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:The negatives of Norway+ are the negatives of any brexit.

It would be nice to think it isn't.

May might prefer a referendum to a softer Brexit.

But then she might prefer no deal to no Brexit at all, that's the worry.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The government has analysed the supply chain, made plans to reduce the risk of disruption, and given instructions to pharmaceutical companies to ensure that they have adequate stocks to cope with any potential delays at the border.

We are confident that if everyone does what they should do, the supply of medicines and other medical supplies will be uninterrupted in the event of exiting the EU without a deal."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:"The government has analysed the supply chain, made plans to reduce the risk of disruption, and given instructions to pharmaceutical companies to ensure that they have adequate stocks to cope with any potential delays at the border.

We are confident that if everyone does what they should do, the supply of medicines and other medical supplies will be uninterrupted in the event of exiting the EU without a deal."
From the people who can't successfully implement a change to train timetables.

I'm so reassured.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Though I'm sure it will always be possible to find people willing to supply us - at a price. So the cost will catch up with us eventually as other NHS services are adversely affected by the extra (unnecessary) drain on resources.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... medication

Policy paper

Getting medication
Information for patients on how they will continue to receive medicines and treatment if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019.
Occasionally we do experience temporary shortages of specific medicines. If this happens, your doctor will prescribe the best alternative to your usual medication – this is a tried and tested system.

If there are any shortages of particular medicines after EU Exit, the same system will be in place – your doctor will advise you of the best alternative to treat your condition.
This is not reassuring
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Shortages are not a new thing,epipens etc.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:
gilsey wrote:The negatives of Norway+ are the negatives of any brexit.

It would be nice to think it isn't.

May might prefer a referendum to a softer Brexit.

But then she might prefer no deal to no Brexit at all, that's the worry.
Which is why some sort of revocation of A50 remains very much in the picture.

(this could always be combined with a commitment to exit the EU once some arrangement *had* been worked out and approved, which might help win some Tory MPs over)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And it was a constant battle/search to maintain the supply to syringe driver (controlled)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tom Watson is to issue a rallying cry to dispirited Labour centrists, calling on his party not to fail Britain at a “great moment of change”.

In a speech on Saturday likely to be read as a thinly veiled challenge to Jeremy Corbyn, the deputy leader will say: “The country needs the leadership that only we can give. Let’s make sure we do not fail them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -in-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't sound like a challenge to me. Watson sounds like a Labour party leader doing his job properly. I've had enough of the cynical crap. Labour centrist means nothing to me. There's all kinds of people in the Labour party and I don't like them all but vote and support Labour. I can't prepare for a Tory win. I don't have that kind of money and neither do most people.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

When discussing a change to a prescription with my GP, the word Brexit came up. What appears to have been happening behind the scenes over the last couple of years is that a lot of prescriptions for specific branded medicines have been changed to generic prescriptions, so the pharmacist has more flexibility about what they dispense, which can help if there are widespread shortages. In many cases this won't be an issue, but if you are allergic to any ingredients or experience side effects on some brands but not others it could prove more problematic. My GP didn't go into details, but he sounded frustrated. I think Brexit is having an enormous impact on the NHS, with lots of changes happening because of it but it's all being kept from the general public.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
Tom Watson is to issue a rallying cry to dispirited Labour centrists, calling on his party not to fail Britain at a “great moment of change”.

In a speech on Saturday likely to be read as a thinly veiled challenge to Jeremy Corbyn, the deputy leader will say: “The country needs the leadership that only we can give. Let’s make sure we do not fail them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -in-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't sound like a challenge to me. Watson sounds like a Labour party leader doing his job properly. I've had enough of the cynical crap. Labour centrist means nothing to me. There's all kinds of people in the Labour party and I don't like them all but vote and support Labour. I can't prepare for a Tory win. I don't have that kind of money and neither do most people.
Guardian political journalists just can't help themselves I'm afraid.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm disappointed by it but I've always understood it's a private business. I like the Guardian okay but pay attention (to what I consider) their flaws.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:When discussing a change to a prescription with my GP, the word Brexit came up. What appears to have been happening behind the scenes over the last couple of years is that a lot of prescriptions for specific branded medicines have been changed to generic prescriptions, so the pharmacist has more flexibility about what they dispense, which can help if there are widespread shortages. In many cases this won't be an issue, but if you are allergic to any ingredients or experience side effects on some brands but not others it could prove more problematic. My GP didn't go into details, but he sounded frustrated. I think Brexit is having an enormous impact on the NHS, with lots of changes happening because of it but it's all being kept from the general public.
I rely on meds refilled every month. I can't do without them.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:When discussing a change to a prescription with my GP, the word Brexit came up. What appears to have been happening behind the scenes over the last couple of years is that a lot of prescriptions for specific branded medicines have been changed to generic prescriptions, so the pharmacist has more flexibility about what they dispense, which can help if there are widespread shortages. In many cases this won't be an issue, but if you are allergic to any ingredients or experience side effects on some brands but not others it could prove more problematic. My GP didn't go into details, but he sounded frustrated. I think Brexit is having an enormous impact on the NHS, with lots of changes happening because of it but it's all being kept from the general public.
I rely on meds refilled every month. I can't do without them.
And the many thousands of people who work in the NHS will be doing everything they can to make sure that never happens and I'm sure it won't. My concern is the huge amount of resources that are being used to prepare for something that the government could choose to ensure wouldn't happen. Shouldn't happen. Why make changes to people's prescriptions if "no deal" is just a bluff? I fear it may not be, though I very much hope to be proved wrong and those who are confident it will never come to that are right.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Twitter link to speech by Keir Starmer.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Unfit DWP should be axed, says thinktank
Demos report claims ‘hard-to-help’ groups are being let down so functions should be moved to other Whitehall departments (Observer)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -thinktank
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Demos report claims ‘hard-to-help’ groups are being let down so functions should be moved to other Whitehall departments (Observer)
Yes, I think it's a sensible proposal.

It would mean UC would absolutely have to go. Disabled and ill people should never have been put in the same system as jobseekers imo. And housing benefit should be administered independently from everything else by the council legally responsible for housing people. Social services should probably be the medium through which things like PIP and carers allowance are delivered. There's just so much wrong with delivering an entire social security safety net via a centralised online computer system backed up by what seems like about three people answering a phone somewhere in a call centre.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Yes, I think it's a sensible proposal.

It would mean UC would absolutely have to go. Disabled and ill people should never have been put in the same system as jobseekers imo. And housing benefit should be administered independently from everything else by the council legally responsible for housing people. Social services should probably be the medium through which things like PIP and carers allowance are delivered. There's just so much wrong with delivering an entire social security safety net via a centralised online computer system backed up by what seems like about three people answering a phone somewhere in a call centre.
Even the name of the Department falls far short of reflecting reality!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
My concern is the huge amount of resources that are being used to prepare for something that the government could choose to ensure wouldn't happen. Shouldn't happen. Why make changes to people's prescriptions if "no deal" is just a bluff? I fear it may not be, though I very much hope to be proved wrong and those who are confident it will never come to that are right.
(cJA edit)
You're absolutely right. Thank you for articulating clearly what I'm thinking about too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is it feasible for May calling an election in order to ensure the UK leaves the EU at the end of March?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Department for Health and Social Security became
Department for Social Security became
Department for Work and Pensions

The last iteration was a New Labour concept of course, with an aim "to help its customers become financially independent and to help reduce child poverty"

I think they did better on the second one. The first makes no sense as social security is supposed to be there for when people lose their financial independence through redundancy or sickness. I think "customers" was a John Major thing, as were jobcentres. I think I prefer it to "claimants" though.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:Is it feasible for May calling an election in order to ensure the UK leaves the EU at the end of March?
The 28th of February has been mooted, which would leave a month. That's not long enough to pass and ratify the WA by 29th March. If the WA has been approved by the Commons by the 29th March, however, I think it almost certain the EU would be willing to grant an extention to article 50 for a couple of months in order to complete the ratification process.

It would be interesting to see how the Tories would do campaigning on implementing May's deal. It wouldn't be easy for them any more than it will be easy for Labour to unite behind a Brexit policy.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

28 Feb is now almost impossible to achieve because of the provisions of the FTPA.

And whilst I'm not convinced an election is coming *that* soon in any case, surely nothing would happen until after the next HoC "big vote" on the 29th?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Is it feasible for May calling an election in order to ensure the UK leaves the EU at the end of March?
The 28th of February has been mooted, which would leave a month. That's not long enough to pass and ratify the WA by 29th March. If the WA has been approved by the Commons by the 29th March, however, I think it almost certain the EU would be willing to grant an extention to article 50 for a couple of months in order to complete the ratification process.

It would be interesting to see how the Tories would do campaigning on implementing May's deal. It wouldn't be easy for them any more than it will be easy for Labour to unite behind a Brexit policy.
I've read a suggestion I don't fully understand about May using Parliamentary conventions allowing her to proceed with legislation without benefit of it having past in the House.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:28 Feb is now almost impossible to achieve because of the provisions of the FTPA.

And whilst I'm not convinced an election is coming *that* soon in any case, surely nothing would happen until after the next HoC "big vote" on the 29th?
No, nothing should. Won't stop May though
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

I've read a suggestion I don't fully understand about May using Parliamentary conventions allowing her to proceed with legislation without benefit of it having past in the House.
Even if theoretically possible, I can't see many in her own party being happy with that - never mind more widely. Seems like a non-starter to me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:---
Even if theoretically possible, I can't see many in her own party being happy with that - never mind more widely. Seems like a non-starter to me.
(cJA edit)
Good.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Early nights at the moment, I notice. Hope you are OK :heart:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not only should the DWP be abolished the whole bleeding narrative,eg.Basic State reciprocity ="hard to help",needs to change IMHO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

How I miss the lumping together of "deviants".The language slightly changes but the essence remains the same.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Then again the thought of ever being the "preferred"model,fills me with horror.Up the deviants
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Actual good piece by Nick Cohen (no mention of the C-word anywhere): https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dit-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tories-now-treat-the-nation-as-they-have-long-treated-the-poor-universal-credit-brexit
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]2GYCRTvRSHc[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PTO,I insist.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 19 Jan, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.