Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th January 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th January 2019

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:PTO
OK, if you insist.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... don-euston" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All stations to regeneration? Work on HS2 begins in earnest
At Euston, the controversial rail route’s southern terminus, the diggers are at work. Can the project deliver what it promises
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I know we don't do polls, but this one merits attention because Fiona Bruce is getting a right hammering as a result :twisted:

@britainelects
21 minutes ago

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (+1)
CON: 37% (-2)
LDEM: 7% (+1)
UKIP: 7% (+1)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ministers urged to halt right-to-buy scheme over level of private rentals

More than 40% of former council homes now let out by private landlords, costing local authorities millions (Observer)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... mes-rented
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I know we don't do polls, but this one merits attention because Fiona Bruce is getting a right hammering as a result :twisted:

@britainelects
21 minutes ago

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (+1)
CON: 37% (-2)
LDEM: 7% (+1)
UKIP: 7% (+1)
The BBC's response to the complaints:
BBC News Press Team
‏Verified account @BBCNewsPR
2h2 hours ago

We've reviewed what was said re polling on @bbcquestiontime. A YouGov poll published on the day of the programme suggested a lead for the Conservatives. Diane Abbott was also right that some other polls suggested Labour either as ahead or tied, & we should have made that clear.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/di ... 36566.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

diane-abbott-question-time-fiona-bruce-bbc-abuse-mistreatment
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I don't know if anyone has seen Graham Linehan's anti-trans meltdown on Twitter and his campaign against Mermaids charity. But there's a guy called HBomberguy (who does Youtube videos), who is playing a game for charity and has raised over $108k for the Mermaids charity. He's got them trending on twitter and is doing a really good job.

You can donate here, if you want to: https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/mermaidsuk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Early nights at the moment, I notice. Hope you are OK :heart:
I'll always be okay when I've such good friends. I love you all dearly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mr citizen is like sunshine
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Faisal Islam

Verified account

@faisalislam
46m46 minutes ago
More
Raab tells Sophy “we can’t let the EU bully us or call the shots” and so if no changes to deal should leave with no deal on WTO terms; EU will demand a negotiation “reasonably swiftly” and as a third country we would have more negotiation leverage
:wall:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Does Raab know he's grossly mistaken?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't know which would upset me more, his mendacity or his ignorance
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Graham Linehan isn't anti-trans. He has support among some within the trans community. He's pro women's rights and is trying to highlight how the debate over trans rights and how it comes into conflict with women's rights and how society should deal with that is being stifled and shut down by aggressive transactivists, some of whom are men who don't identify as women. Feminists are meanwhile being called "terfs" and even being physically assaulted simply for trying to discuss how changes such as self-identification might impact on women's rights, a debate that needs to be had but is being supressed. Oh and lesbians are being called transphobic for not being attracted to the male bodies of transgender women. I'm not saying Graham Linehan is always right, but in a debate there should always be room for different opinions. There also needs to be a recognition that trans issues can potentially be exploited to dismantle the protections that have grown over time to protect women. People running women's refuges are being put under immense pressure to admit trans women and are being called transphobic if they raise concerns about how this affects the rights of women who would prefer not to share facilities with a male bodied person. The members of the trans community who support Linehan have concerns, as he does, that the trans agenda is becoming hijacked by those who are more interested in attacking women's rights than they are in trans rights and that their aggressive transactivism could harm trans people and their attempts to become accepted by society. Certainly stories of pre-op trans prisoners with a history of sexual assault getting transfers to female prisons where they go on to sexually assault female prisoners does kind of suggest that the fear of denying trans rights is trumping common sense and potentially putting women (and girls, the girl guide movement is taking a real hammering over this just for being sensibly cautious) in harm's way.

So I wouldn't call what Graham Linehan is doing "a meltdown" . He's simply trying to stick up for women because he knows that in our male dominated world men's voices tend to garner the most attention and he has definitely shone some much needed light on this very complex and emotive issue.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:Does Raab know he's grossly mistaken?
About 7 years seems to be the average length of time for a third country to reach a trade deal with the EU.
There would still be the need for a hard border in the Irish Sea if we are to honour the GFA so there's no reason not to just negotiate a FTA via the WA and transition period and save us the huge upheaval and cost of crashing out as we would end up in the same place in the end anyway.
So I guess Raab's aim is to not honour the GFA and have a hard border in Ireland, otherwise what's the point?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Pleased to see Lammy proposing negotiating a better/softer brexit and a second/third ref to validate it, how long will it be before we hear that from Starmer?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:Actual good piece by Nick Cohen (no mention of the C-word anywhere): https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dit-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tories-now-treat-the-nation-as-they-have-long-treated-the-poor-universal-credit-brexit
Very good article

The right fail seeing the poor as they are
The right see the poor as they want them to be
failure understanding the UK's relationship with the EU and the rest of the world as it is
making up stories about it instead
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Does Raab know he's grossly mistaken?
About 7 years seems to be the average length of time for a third country to reach a trade deal with the EU.
There would still be the need for a hard border in the Irish Sea if we are to honour the GFA so there's no reason not to just negotiate a FTA via the WA and transition period and save us the huge upheaval and cost of crashing out as we would end up in the same place in the end anyway.
So I guess Raab's aim is to not honour the GFA and have a hard border in Ireland, otherwise what's the point?
Amid many ugly things uncovered by brexit, tories lack of care for Ireland may be the ugliest.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Linehan may not be a transphobe himself, but he has retweeted and "liked" some pretty nasty people on this issue.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Linehan may not be a transphobe himself, but he has retweeted and "liked" some pretty nasty people on this issue.
I went into some detail about the issues Linehan is trying to highlight and why I agree with him only to be what I can only be described as "dismissed" with the equivalent of "but he's a wrong 'un" with zero detail of how or why he is wrong.I

The absolute certainty that Linehan (and many, many women) are on the wrong side of this debate without any explanation of why is a very good example of how the debate on trans issues is being aggressively closed down.

It would be so much nicer (not to mention respectful of my opinion in favour of Linehan) if you could actually engage in this debate with specific examples of what things Linehan has said that you disagree with and why.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ten years ago today, the world appeared a better and more hopeful place.

We need to look at why that promise was dissipated, but also remember that things *can* get better - and strive to do better next time.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'll have to find and utilise strengths gained from age and experience
Brexit and the person in the executive office in the US, for example, are like war
I'm sorry our time and resources are spent mitigating both
There is so much better work to be done
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -home-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hard work, creativity, vision: the essentials of outstanding home care

Zero mention of direct payments which provides flexibility and above all control in terms of when and what.It will take a(further/back to) cultural change from p/maternal to relinquishment from both State and private.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And of course from workers themselves.Control,both giving up and seizing can be difficult but supine acceptance is a major reason as to why things are as they are.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A mindset change for workers,clarification are you working simplyfor your own ends/having suitable regard whilst bemoaning,of course this can be in tandem but not necessarily so.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I view similarly the woeful oppressed giving up theme of some family carers and their organisations.Have consideration.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@HindleA
Please write more if you've time or inclination. I'm having some trouble understanding.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1.In pursuance of own self worth/value have regard for others,in terms of feelings, and not feeding into the burdensome narrative.
2.(repeated ad infinitum)Everybody is legally entitled to be offered direct payments/personal budget ie.not subjected to the inflexibility of State/company/workers control in terms of when and what tasks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:1.In pursuance of own self worth/value have regard for others,in terms of feelings, and not feeding into the burdensome narrative.
2.(repeated ad infinitum)Everybody is legally entitled to be offered direct payments/personal budget ie.not subjected to the inflexibility of State/company/workers control in terms of when and what tasks.
Yes, agreed.
The work I did caring for others was only made possible by having time and resources enough to do it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

3.2 takes a shift in cultural attitudes,mindsets,the relinquishing of control and the taking on of responsibilities.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've no experience of care homes. I worked with people on a one-on-one basis. People expected to care for several people at the same time is unreasonable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cJA sometimes in tandem,sometimes not,too often the wishes/convenience of the worker and/or organisation overrides.Direct Payments provide an avenue of flexibility and control subject to negotiation/agreement to completely rid the fifteen minute soggy wet flannel scenarios.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Specifically ,in own home.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Specifically ,in own home.
Yes, this is where I worked for those needing care, in their own home.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We could afford to employ at far higher than m.w.far cheaper method,of course the budget has to be adequate and proper oversight ,but the economic sense is clear.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

refitman wrote:Actual good piece by Nick Cohen (no mention of the C-word anywhere): https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dit-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tories-now-treat-the-nation-as-they-have-long-treated-the-poor-universal-credit-brexit
I'd have liked it better if he'd left this bit out.
Duncan Smith and the Christian rightwingers who gathered around him meant well
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You can use agencies if you wish,but to completely usurp the profiteers and control we employed directly.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not just profiteers,charities it has to be said "offering"services double the cost.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:@cJA sometimes in tandem,sometimes not,too often the wishes/convenience of the worker and/or organisation overrides.Direct Payments provide an avenue of flexibility and control subject to negotiation/agreement to completely rid the fifteen minute soggy wet flannel scenarios.
(cJA bold)
It took fifteen minutes for our good mornings to each other
She was always relieved seeing it was me come to help her
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Not just profiteers,charities it has to be said "offering"services double the cost.
Is there any justification at all for not employing someone directly and using an agency or charity? Is additional insurance cover involved providing care worker and those cared for protection? Sincere question.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We were one of the first,all such considerations,including budget provision and disability organisations providing payroll/employer support etc were in place.I don't how developed in other areas.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or indeed since Toryfication if proper account has been taken re.changes since,particularly pensions.I know the budget was frozen in our case.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
Yeah, agreed. Can IDS evaluating another as he thought they are ignoring factual evidence of how they really are suggest meaning well? No. Willfully ignoring evidence and adhering to stereotyping is the antithesis of meaning well.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
A variation on the "agree in principle" theme.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A lot of people were taken in by IDS's visit to Easterhouse at the time (I will admit I was, to an extent)

No real excuse for still peddling that line now, though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cJA we still have a local authority employee service,even being one I was acutely aware as much as it was popular/preferred it couldn't provide flexibility in terms of what and when.The mindset change is equally appropriate,many people are unsure about taking on responsibilities.My overall point is you don't have to accept,there are ways/avenues.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Indeed,the point of "well meaning"ignorance has long since past.Has IDS or indeed his fellow right wing Christians had anything to say about the couple penalty(ies) which he enacted?Also,high degree of hypocrisy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've picked up a technical term used effectively responding to the IDS' of the world said low and loud with an emphasis on the first syllable. Repeating it three or four times works beautifully. The spoken word releases tension while simply and unequivocally communicating disapprobation. There are regional variations of the term. It's a judgement without appeal.