Monday 21st January 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 21st January 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 21st January 2019

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.
The Telegraph
@Telegraph
The front page of tomorrow's Daily Telegraph: 'PM's Plan B: Good Friday deal could be rewritten'
US Rep Brendan Boyle
@RepBrendanBoyle
·
6h
The Good Friday Agreement is an internationally binding treaty signed by the UK and Ireland, and guaranteed by the United States. There is absolutely no ability for any one party to the agreement to unilaterally re-write it.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he might be saying "no it can't" . And here's the thing, even if we leave with "no deal" thus "accidentally" creating a hard border in Ireland, we still won't be able to walk away from our international responsibilities. The GFA would require us to work towards re-introducing an open border. Ireland is not going to stop wanting an open border. The DUP need the rest of the UK to remain as close as possible to the EU if they are to have any chance of preserving the Union in reality yet are pressing for the opposite. Bonkers.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/lords-comm ... management" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lords committee slams rip-off in inflation management

A parliamentary enquiry has agreed with the TUC and rejected the claims of the UK Statistics Authority that the RPI is ‘fundamentally flawed’
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/sam-m ... 776237/amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Time is running out for the DUP to decide between the softest of Brexits and the hardest of Brexits – and the outcome is far from clear."
Goes some way to explaining DUP logic.(I think)
Also:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... oft-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"why Arlene Foster is denyng the DUP could live with a soft Brexit"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -stitch-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

This is interesting regarding what I was saying the other day about rumours that the DWP had never managed to build a fully working automated UC software application:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/ ... urt-ruling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The DWP is in further disarray over universal credit (UC) following a new high court ruling. It has been forced to admit that its multi-million pound software will be unable to calculate the correct amounts of benefit that claimants covered by the decision are entitled to.
Their defence for paying people the wrong amount was literally that their computer system doesn't work:
They also refused to accept the DWP’s claim that the court could not find in favour of the claimants because the DWP’s software is not able to make the necessary calculations:

“Mr Brown further relied on the fact that the system of universal credit was intended to be automated. He referred to the evidence in particular of Ms McMahon indicating the importance of automation in the design of the system of universal credit and indicating that it would not be possible to make an automated change to address the issue that has arisen in this case. Ms McMahon indicates that any solution would have to involve a manual calculation of the amount of the award.”

The court pointed out that the DWP already had to make manual calculations in other circumstances, that the issue would involve less than 1% of UC payments and, in any case, the correct application of the law is what matters even if it does inconvenience the DWP.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Reptile yell in a muddle advocating No Deal Brexit (5,6).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:This is interesting regarding what I was saying the other day about rumours that the DWP had never managed to build a fully working automated UC software application:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/ ... urt-ruling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The DWP is in further disarray over universal credit (UC) following a new high court ruling. It has been forced to admit that its multi-million pound software will be unable to calculate the correct amounts of benefit that claimants covered by the decision are entitled to.
Their defence for paying people the wrong amount was literally that their computer system doesn't work:
They also refused to accept the DWP’s claim that the court could not find in favour of the claimants because the DWP’s software is not able to make the necessary calculations:

“Mr Brown further relied on the fact that the system of universal credit was intended to be automated. He referred to the evidence in particular of Ms McMahon indicating the importance of automation in the design of the system of universal credit and indicating that it would not be possible to make an automated change to address the issue that has arisen in this case. Ms McMahon indicates that any solution would have to involve a manual calculation of the amount of the award.”

The court pointed out that the DWP already had to make manual calculations in other circumstances, that the issue would involve less than 1% of UC payments and, in any case, the correct application of the law is what matters even if it does inconvenience the DWP.
Disgraceful.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ir-members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Can Conservative MPs change leader without consulting their members?

Some Tories believe they could elect a new prime minister amongst themselves – before giving members a say in a year’s time."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
tinybgoat wrote:https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ir-members

Some Tories believe they could elect a new prime minister amongst themselves – before giving members a say in a year’s time."
I might be wrong but didn't that happen last time?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Good point, but only because there was only candidate remaining, think idea here is that mps would choose leader, allowing members to have a vote some time later.
(Not quite sure how, would they just vote on the same candidates as MP's did, or re-run entire process, or maybe just start with a confidence vote from members..
can't see it going down well)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've been caught up in cares and neglected looking for the recent lunar eclipse (super blood wolf moon)
Sky'sGoneOut posted the first image I've seen of the event on yesterday's politics thread
It took my breathe away; it was so beautiful
Thank you
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't think I'm being cynical when I say Tory party procedure is doing whatever they want for expediency's sake.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

DUP=bonkers=not news.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

From Willow's link about the UC ruling
One of the most outrageous arguments deployed by the DWP was that it was the responsibility of the
claimants to persuade their employers to change their payroll system, so that it fitted in with the DWP
Each day bringing news making me feel as though I've never been shocked before now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Social-Media-key-facts-Local-authority-governance_.jpg
Social-Media-key-facts-Local-authority-governance_.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
"Authorities have faced significant challenges since 2010-11 as funding has reduced while demand for key services has grown.
Not only are the risks from poor governance greater in the current context as the stakes are higher, but the process of governance
itself is more challenging and complex.
---
...the Department does not systematically collect data on governance, meaning it can’t rigorously assess whether issues are isolated
incidents or symptomatic of failings in aspects of the system. The Department can intervene both formally and informally in authorities
where it has concerns about governance arrangements, but the process by which it does this is not always revealed publicly, meaning
its scale and effectiveness is not open to scrutiny or challenge."

Local authority governance

https://www.nao.org.uk/press-release/lo ... ernance-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

With my first Twitter account now defunct I rarely look at edu stories but just saw this one this morning.

Durand Academy wrote off £1.6 million from failed boarding school project

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/durand-academ ... l-project/
In a move that was enthusiastically supported by former education secretary Michael Gove, Durand opened a satellite boarding school on the site of the former St Cuthman’s school in Sussex in September 2014. The boarding school catered for pupils in certain year groups from Durand’s Lambeth site, and was the first in the country not to charge parents for boarding services.

However, after Durand repeatedly failed to secure planning permission to develop the site, the DfE withdrew its funding offer, and the boarding school closed in September 2017.
The DfE largely ignored practically everyone that told them that the figures for running a boarding school were nigh on impossible to achieve.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is that where part of the £2.5 BILLION for property local authorities have bought gone to since 2015? Academies? "Commercial investment purposes"? Please see image I posted from the NAO above.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

£2.5 billion spent since 2015 by local authorities for property and land for commercial investment purposes, according to the NAO. I've not checked what these commercial investments are in. The NAO may not know either. Does anyone have any idea? That's just incredible. Local authority spending power reduced by almost 30% since 2010 while local authorities have an increase of £2.5 billion spent on property since 2015. What the hell is going on?

Is it being spent of affordable housing? I think that's a sound investment though I personally wouldn't call it commercial. They could call it what they want as long as it's high-quality, genuinely affordable housing securely tenured and properly maintained.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinybgoat wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Good point, but only because there was only candidate remaining, think idea here is that mps would choose leader, allowing members to have a vote some time later.
(Not quite sure how, would they just vote on the same candidates as MP's did, or re-run entire process, or maybe just start with a confidence vote from members..
can't see it going down well)
I think that when Tory leaders are elected "unopposed" (though May of course had to contest the MPs stage before Leadsom withdrew) they are officially required to get approval from the membership later. Though this didn't actually happen with our present PM, or Michael Howard post 2003.

(I think that "an election could be coming soon" was the excuse on that occasion)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I know nothing, obviously, but I can't understand why on earth May would see a general election now or why her party would be content with her to do so. Her party and cabinet are split and, despite the ability of the tories to come together when they have to it's very very difficult to see how they could agree on any manifesto commitment about Europe. Last time she had a huge poll lead, had won an opposition seat in a by-election for the first time in a very very long time and had a very successful local election round on the way to the GE and still lost seats. There is a risk, at least, that she could lose some of her DUP votes. There is a risk that whatever EU policy she came up with there would be a block of normally tory votes who would coalesce around an informal party group against it - Farage is already talking about this. Can't see it happening. If she wants the cup to be taken out of her hands she should make a decisive decision for a policy Labour would support and her party would break around her.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I don't have a computer at home at the moment after a 'cup of tea' incident (that I think is going to lead to an eight year old semi-obsolete mac book being replaced by a nice new one) so I'm not around as much - apologies.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

£2.5bn increase in local authority spending on acquiring land and existing buildings from 2015-16 to 2017-18, much of which is for commercial investment purposes
https://www.nao.org.uk/press-release/lo ... ernance-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...[T]here was significant reclassification of commercial activity from planning & development and central service to trading services.
Spending on trading services has increased significantly over the last 4-years, rising from £323m in 2014-15 to £2.9bn in 2017-18.
These figures represent a significant increase even accounting for reclassification changes affecting the category this year.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... utturn.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the same document linked above
Until 2016-17, authorities rarely spent more than £50m on trading services. Whilst, this year a record 12 authorities spent more than
£50m (totalling spend of £1.5bn), including two authorities which spent over £200m each, Spelthorne (£270m) and Warrington (£220m),
closely followed by Eastleigh with a spend of £194m.
12 local authorities out of 440 spent £1.5 billion on purchasing land-property-commercial investment out of a total spend £2.5 billion in that category.
I'm not entirely sure I understand what this expenditure is for or why a handful of local authorities spent so much more than others
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What is trading services, exactly? All I got from the linked document above was this
Trading services include the maintenance of direct labour and service organisations, such as civic halls, retail markets and industrial estates, and commercial activity.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

citizenJA wrote:What is trading services, exactly? All I got from the linked document above was this
Trading services include the maintenance of direct labour and service organisations, such as civic halls, retail markets and industrial estates, and commercial activity.
I think it's just councils selling services to private or public sector for profit, googled "council services for profit"

https://www.local.gov.uk/our-support/ef ... ialisation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i.e. Luton:

https://m.luton.gov.uk/Page/Show/Busine ... obile=True" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure whether the increase in spending on 'shared services' is buying in services from elsewhere or administration costs of providing to others though.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... sebuilding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On my phone so hard to quote but the above link is for citizenJA and the question asked about local council commercial investment. I think the article answers the questions of what (hotels, shopping centres etc) and why (cheap govt loans on such purchases, provide returns to offset lost central revenue). The article thinks this money should be spent on council housing.....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you both for the information
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm becoming more and more convinced that a lot of the public who are "Brexit" supporters and who are not worried about a "no deal" situation think that problems "in the short term" means that there will be a few snarl-ups for a couple of days or weeks. Politicians who use the phrase "short term" should be pinned down on what they mean - on every occasion that they utter it.

Oh - and I'm waiting for the inevitable computer meltdown accompanying the applications for settled status (scheme kicks off today, I think).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:I know nothing, obviously, but I can't understand why on earth May would see a general election now or why her party would be content with her to do so
They believe YouGov's polls?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I agree with Crabb. :shock:
On the World at One Stephen Crabb, the Conservative former cabinet minister, said some of his Brexiter colleagues were being “deeply, deeply irresponsible” because they were making people think a no-deal Brexit would be acceptable.

'When you go outside London, as I was at the weekend, you hear people in the street saying: ‘We just need to leave without a deal, let’s just get out without a deal’. And I think we’re in quite dangerous territory as a country where, certainly a chunk of my party, or a wing of my party, is fomenting that kind of opinion. It is deeply, deeply irresponsible.'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

No-deal advocates are very fond of saying any problems would be "short term", I notice. Even if true, that is a highly flexible phrase.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

@cja

The Tees Valley elected mayor is buying back the local airport.

Whether that will generate income in future remains to be seen.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:No-deal advocates are very fond of saying any problems would be "short term", I notice. Even if true, that is a highly flexible phrase.
Please see above . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bled-woman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:I agree with Crabb. :shock:
On the World at One Stephen Crabb, the Conservative former cabinet minister, said some of his Brexiter colleagues were being “deeply, deeply irresponsible” because they were making people think a no-deal Brexit would be acceptable.

'When you go outside London, as I was at the weekend, you hear people in the street saying: ‘We just need to leave without a deal, let’s just get out without a deal’. And I think we’re in quite dangerous territory as a country where, certainly a chunk of my party, or a wing of my party, is fomenting that kind of opinion. It is deeply, deeply irresponsible.'
He has confidence in Tory government
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW under the old DHSS,it was a buffer against other employees(a rarely discussed aspect of discrimination)re.better half.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:@cja

The Tees Valley elected mayor is buying back the local airport.

Whether that will generate income in future remains to be seen.
It could be a great; I don't know. A dozen local authorities out of hundreds spending (borrowing?) most of the £2.5 billion total for buildings, land and commercial ventures without government monitoring the proceedings makes me nervous.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Unfortinately some people cannot accept their own inadequacies,levelling the playing field for others scares them.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is a good example where a none-edu informed writer trumpets away at something and has a dig at Labour...and the edu people come in and go "Up to a point Lord Copper..."

So basically a very highly selective sixth-form which takes pupils from outside its own school gets super results. Gosh, who'd have thunk it eh?

I notice that Wallace hasn't replied to Nick Linford and John Dickens yet but I'm sure he will at some point...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:No-deal advocates are very fond of saying any problems would be "short term", I notice. Even if true, that is a highly flexible phrase.
Please see above . . .
Great minds etc etc.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From reading the BBC report May's new statement contains nothing new except for ditching the £65 fee for EU nationals that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

It would appear that Plan B looks very much like Plan A...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hilary Benn

Verified account

@hilarybennmp
55m55 minutes ago
More
The Prime Minister has just suggested that farmers in Wales wouldn’t mind a no deal Brexit. This is what NFU Cymru said in Sept: “the impact of a no-deal Brexit scenario on Welsh farming would be devastating.”
Bloody Remoaners...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour’s Paul Farrelly asks May why she has been unable to say this afternoon if she will implement the result if MPs vote for an amendment next week proposing an alternative Brexit approach.

May says the people gave the government an instruction in the referendum. She wants MPs to vote for a deal implementing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 7a614f7774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... c60ee9?si7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rebel-mps-brexit-join-forces-to-stop-no-deal-brexit_uk
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Jeremy Corbyn signalled on Monday the party could support Cooper and Grieve’s plans, a move which would likely mean defeat for the government and victory for the rebels.

The Labour leader told the Commons: “We will, as we have said consistently from the beginning, back amendments that seek to rule out the disaster of no deal.”
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is amazing...

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Good to see the Sunday Times getting a slapdown from Parliament...

https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and ... arliament/
Your claim that a named official was “drawing up plans to overturn the normal rules of parliament” in support of “rebel MPs” are insinuations of improper behaviour and support for a particular political position, and a gross misrepresentation of the nature of the relationship between Clerks and Members of Parliament
:clap: