Friday 1st February 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 1st February 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng- ... ke-running" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/je ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Back from the North Wing, then? Bit of a trek, there and back. You should get the staff to arrange a day bed in the salon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Mark Steel
‏ @mrmarksteel
10h10 hours ago

My dearest friend @JeremyJHardy left us early this morning. I was so lucky to have spent 35 years arseing about with him. Knowing him as I did, I know he wouldn't want you to be sad, he'd want you to be bloody devastated x
970 replies 3,745 retweets 24,113 likes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Speaking of staff,having to take on (joint) boss responsibilities didn't come naturally to me,though I had them saluting towards the end.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I advocate taking control in lieu of State/profiteering outsourced/charitable imposition at best,I was singularly useless at it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Speaking of staff,having to take on (joint) boss responsibilities didn't come naturally to me,though I had them saluting towards the end.
Ah, the two-fingered salute or the Benny Hill version?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]SeK-BXWj2S0[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You and Benny Hill,any excuse.Is there anything we should know?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... or-britons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's much in this article I find fascinating. I'll try to arrange my thoughts in words coherently.
Who's the source of the description according what's written below?
A...change in EU law guaranteeing visa-free travel for Britons in Europe after Brexit has sparked a diplomatic row after Brussels described Gibraltar as...
'Brussels' I asked myself, who's Brussels? Then I read further.
The footnote containing the...description...was attached...on the insistence of Spain, with whom the UK has been in dispute over Gibraltar for three centuries.
Not Brussels but someone called Spain insisting on the descriptive footnote added into the footnotes of a piece of EU legislation. I think a Spanish representative meeting with colleagues from other EU nations in a place called Brussels said add this descriptive footnote. Read here evidence of peer-group activity meeting in a place called Brussels.
During a meeting on Friday morning with his EU counterparts, the UK’s ambassador in Brussels, Sir Tim Barrow...
Meetings with EU counterparts in Brussels
Sounds like a collaborative effort going on rather than someone named Brussels or Spain inserting descriptive footnotes into what's called, EU Law. The EU is an interesting character. The story continues below.
The Conservative MEP Daniel Dalton accused Spain’s government of treating Gibraltar “as a political football”.
Daniel Dalton is UK Tory elected as a Member of the European Parliament. He's part of the EU and so is the country and people he's representing. Does he know that? He seems to have correctly identified Spain as the source of the descriptive footnote. The second part of his statement is less clear.
“To read that EU officials have made the same mistake is at best insensitive, if not breathtakingly incompetent,” he said.
Dalton's ire is directed at EU officials. Who are the EU officials he's so angry with? Dalton is a member of the European Parliament, officially part of the EU. Dalton is an EU official. Is he having a go at administrative staff typing up his Spanish colleague's descriptive footnote?

Some great reading below with further confirmation people from different EU countries meet with each other proposing, rejecting, describing, noting and adding what they want for their nations.
The row over the footnote has been bubbling for weeks, much to the irritation of other member states. Spain initially wanted all the EU’s no-deal legislation – drafted in case the UK leaves on 29 March without ratifying the withdrawal agreement – to note that Gibraltar was disputed and on a UN list of “non-self-governing territories … subject to decolonisation”.

That move was blocked by France, as French Polynesia and New Caledonia are also on that list.
I love it. History and current affairs all in one.
I'll add here that meeting in a place called Brussels instead of forcibly invading the country next door destroying things and killing people is a good thing. It's progress, in my opinion.
The agreed footnote on the visa legislation signed off by ambassadors now notes that “Gibraltar is a colony of the British crown”.
Not Brussels or EU Officials or The EU but ambassadors, representatives elected and appointed from different EU nations meeting and collectively creating rules not whimsical decrees, agreements advantageous to many, not just a few, useful regulations typically saving everyone's time and resources.
The UK has requested that a formal minute of its rejection of the description be added to the EU’s records.
Ha, ha! Take that, EU!

All of the above is specifically about the following piece of legislation or EU Law, also known here as a decision arrived at by representatives known to everyone mentioned or alluded to in the article.
...the decision means UK citizens entering the EU’s Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180 days should be granted visa-free travel.
I think all of the time, resources and energy going into this horseshit called Brexit is wasteful. The UK has all this and more. Is it the fury of having to request rejections with nothing more than inserting additional footnotes to a footnote making Brexit essential?

The following near the end of the article astonishes.
The EU said, however, that British tourists would lose that right if the UK government imposed visa requirements on any of its member states.
Does The EU do interviews?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

One local council byelection yesterday (apart from the CoL poll I referenced last night)

Surrey CC - Tory hold with slightly under half the vote in a division where they were returned very comfortably two years ago, a drop of around eight points since then (though an increase on the previous poll) LibDems have performed well recently in some of the district wards here and this was borne out by a double figure rise to almost 40%, continuing the improvement seen in 2017 when they moved into second place. That was significantly at the expense of UKIP, who moved from a good second in 2013 (the first election on these boundaries) to a poor third last time - and they declined by another three points now. Which left them not far ahead of Labour, very much also-rans here and whose 5% score was little changed on their previous two outings.

January has been notably quiet, but February is rather busier and starts with a bang next week - seven contests.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks AK
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/d ... ic-income/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"proposed pilot schemes in Scotland, including the cost and potential negative impacts on disabled people, including likely cuts to other social protection schemes."

The double accounting for need ruse whether stated or not.I would argue an inevitable consequence either on design or consequence.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

@JA

I too have always disliked the personalisation of, for example, Brussels.

I'm sure it's good old fashioned upper class speak.

Indeed, I don't feel class is discussed enough. While I'm quite sure that the BBC has become Tory infiltrated, I think its overwhelming allegiance is to the upper class (and the right kind of upper middle class perhaps).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And 'A shrimp called Wanda'
I can't follow it on "Twitter" on account of not being on "Twitter". But thanks for the tasters.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This is a bit old but very funny

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat ... -1.3777305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"There is no robust evidence that voting for pernicious targeted policy results in pernicious targeted consequences"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I would say connections,rather than class,a concept given I have none in all senses,I struggle with (pun intended)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Is the class war real not mythologised as the philosopher Weller once opined.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 01 Feb, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And can we relax instead of having to.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

More correctly "Relax"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lights have guided me home but have never actually ignited my bones,as yet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Copy and paste the usual irrelevancies,not nearly good enough.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Any "improvement",of course is to their own enacted harm,overwhelmingly by being legally required to.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

NB the double accounting for need ruse,works both ways eg,increase to Access To Work,conditionalised,controlled,discretionary as opposed to necessary extra costs,regardless.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The cigar Constance is smoking is as big as her.I think it is a cigar
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

eg.the specific allowance is unfrozen this is a ruse given other extra cost and support reductions or removal.and increased charging,imposed tax increases etc.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bob Brussels getting a bit sick of taking the blame.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

So common is the 50 billion on "benefits",I almost missed this easily disproved lie,myself.Of course,as ever contemptible cynicical manipulation of general ignorance and the comparisons pretty revolting given the purpose.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As much as continued neglect has resulted in earlier deaths and money saving the associated increased costs (this is without the unnecessary implementation and policing)with untimely/resulting offset consequences swamps that into insignificance.In truth they have no cogent argument because there isn't one.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My bones did flicker,to be fair.