Friday 22nd February 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 22nd February 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 22nd February 2019

Post by HindleA »

My feet are throbbing.On the plus side set a new record for the 800 metre speed sweep.There are machines for such things but that's cheating.Exceedingly nice blueberry pies literally refused to be loaded and taken to Australia,I gave them a good home

This has been a public information announcement.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Another principled stand (sic)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47330079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And guess what, no by-election...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

'hard left' :roll:

As usual, I put QT on to see what was going on, and as usual switched over again toot sweet. This time Chris Leslie and Andy MacDonald were having a go at each other, if they'd been in a pub they'd have been told to take it outside.

Slagging off Shami Chakrabarti isn't a good look whoever's doing it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

https://neweconomics.org/2019/02/auster ... -this-year" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The isolated impact of government policy has reduced GDP growth every single year since 2010. After compounding this effect year-on-year, the effects of austerity are expected to have suppressed the level of GDP by almost £100 billion in the 2018/​19 alone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Rumour is that Austin asked if he could join TIG and they said no, even they don't want him :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:'hard left' :roll:

As usual, I put QT on to see what was going on, and as usual switched over again toot sweet. This time Chris Leslie and Andy MacDonald were having a go at each other, if they'd been in a pub they'd have been told to take it outside.

Slagging off Shami Chakrabarti isn't a good look whoever's doing it.

And a random someone in the audience just happens to be a former UKIP parliamentary candidate...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm shocked etc.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Leslie had a mare last night according to several (fairly objective) accounts. Shame there wasn't a Sky review of this one.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Did we see this?

MP Chris Davies charged with forgery over expenses claims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47320171
Mr Davies said: "I am very disappointed at today's announcement by the CPS.

"I have explained previously the circumstances that led to the investigation, relating to events dating back to when I was a newly-elected MP over three years ago.

"I will now speak to my lawyers and my colleagues in Parliament. I have nothing further to say about the matter at this time."
Quite obviously they didn't believe you...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Thought fleetingly this was the notorious MP for Shipley, and am slightly disappointed it isn't.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumour is that Austin asked if he could join TIG and they said no, even they don't want him :D
His Brexit position is at complete odds with the members of the Independent Group, so it seems strange he would want to join them.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:https://neweconomics.org/2019/02/auster ... -this-year
The isolated impact of government policy has reduced GDP growth every single year since 2010. After compounding this effect year-on-year, the effects of austerity are expected to have suppressed the level of GDP by almost £100 billion in the 2018/​19 alone.
Hammond didn't crow yesterday over the latest ONS public sector finance report. I wondered about that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hello, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Did we see this?

MP Chris Davies charged with forgery over expenses claims
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47320171
Mr Davies said: "I am very disappointed at today's announcement by the CPS.

"I have explained previously the circumstances that led to the investigation, relating to events dating back to when I was a newly-elected MP over three years ago.

"I will now speak to my lawyers and my colleagues in Parliament. I have nothing further to say about the matter at this time."
Quite obviously they didn't believe you...
Arrogant statement from Davies
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumour is that Austin asked if he could join TIG and they said no, even they don't want him :D
His Brexit position is at complete odds with the members of the Independent Group, so it seems strange he would want to join them.
Not so strange to anyone who knows what he is actually like ;)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Thought fleetingly this was the notorious MP for Shipley, and am slightly disappointed it isn't.
I know one of the Shipley Feminist Zealots, as it happens. He's probably proud of having his own personal opposition.

If you remember, there was a rumour on 2017 election night that he'd lost his seat, that was disappointing.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

People don't know, though.

All they see are MPs so fed up with Corbyn's leadership, they've taken the extreme step of quitting, despite it meaning they are likely to lose their seats at the next general election.

For people worrying about EU travel arrangements and businesses worrying about whether they'll even be trading in a couple of months time, for UK citizens living in the EU worrying about whether they will still have healthcare after 29th March, the gleeful demands for by-elections may seem a little petty and self-absorbed. We don't need a circus, we need our politicians to work together to find a resolution to this mess.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
3h3 hours ago
More
Ian Austin on earth to prove Andy Warhol right: famous for 15 mins.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:People don't know, though.

All they see are MPs so fed up with Corbyn's leadership, they've taken the extreme step of quitting, despite it meaning they are likely to lose their seats at the next general election.

For people worrying about EU travel arrangements and businesses worrying about whether they'll even be trading in a couple of months time, for UK citizens living in the EU worrying about whether they will still have healthcare after 29th March, the gleeful demands for by-elections may seem a little petty and self-absorbed. We don't need a circus, we need our politicians to work together to find a resolution to this mess.
All threatened with deselection anyway I think?

Sadly, politicians and the media much prefer the circus.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

David Osland

@David__Osland
52m52 minutes ago
More
I'm always saddened when good, hard-working constituency MPs leave the Labour Party. Let me know if it ever happens.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:People don't know, though
So those of us who do know have to make the effort to inform them.

Only the centre-right and right get to play politics on "easy" mode, the rest of us don't have that luxury.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Only the centre-right and right get to play politics on "easy" mode, the rest of us don't have that luxury.
Without evidence it feels more like gossip, though.

I'm just not sure if that's especially helpful.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

People wouldn't listen, and the press wouldn't help. As one of many many many examples, the fact that there has been confirmation that the channel tunnel will remain open for at least three months, but not necessarily any longer, in the event of us leaving without a withdrawal agreement hasn't even registered as news.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I'm not surprised Timothy Garton Ash's latest opinion piece in the guardian hasn't been opened for comments.

The EU must resist impatience with Britain – for its own sake

What should they have more patience with? The UK government agreeing whatever they have to agree to get out of the door and then denying they said any such thing, as in December 2017? And again when confirming and then arguing about it all over again the following April? The PM agreeing a settlement and then telling parliament to vote against it? A belief, still, even now, that we can have the benefits of membership without the responsibilities? At least this time he's not telling the EU that they are being outrageous for insisting on things we had agreed to or insisted on ourselves.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

adam wrote:I'm not surprised Timothy Garton Ash's latest opinion piece in the guardian hasn't been opened for comments.

The EU must resist impatience with Britain – for its own sake

What should they have more patience with? The UK government agreeing whatever they have to agree to get out of the door and then denying they said any such thing, as in December 2017? And again when confirming and then arguing about it all over again the following April? The PM agreeing a settlement and then telling parliament to vote against it? A belief, still, even now, that we can have the benefits of membership without the responsibilities? At least this time he's not telling the EU that they are being outrageous for insisting on things we had agreed to or insisted on ourselves.
TGA is ripe for an anagram ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thy tomato garnish
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Shitty angora moth
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

People wouldn't listen, and the press wouldn't help. As one of many many many examples, the fact that there has been confirmation that the channel tunnel will remain open for at least three months, but not necessarily any longer, in the event of us leaving without a withdrawal agreement hasn't even registered as news.
This is exactly what I'm more concerned about right now.

From the start the right has been pushing the mantra of no deal being better than a bad deal. Against all expectations May actually manages to strike a deal and immediately up goes the refrain of "it's a bad deal" and Labour frigging echoed them. I can live with Labour being ignored if they try to push back against the right's narrative but what I can't forgive is their full-blooded endorsement. They have helped open the door to a no deal scenario. And they have boxed themselves into a corner from which it will be difficult to u-turn and vote for the WA if that's the only way to prevent no deal.

This is what's really making me cross. And Labour's naval-gazing at a time of crisis isn't helping. I don't want by-elections, I want to know what's going to happen on 30th March.

I know I'm being grumpy and I apologise. Tory government's tend to do that to me. :(
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/j ... a-suicide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Counted as off benefits,regardless.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

If this is true, then this isn't "principled resignations" but stage-managed ones.
Evolve Politics

@evolvepolitics
Follow Follow @evolvepolitics
More
Numerous sources are telling us that 3 more Labour MPs - Margaret Hodge, Peter Kyle and John Mann - may be planning to quit the party on the weekend.

Any comments on these rumours, @margarethodge, @peterkyle, @JohnMannMP?

8:06 AM - 22 Feb 2019
Wouldn't be at all surprised whether someone has a list with dates and MPs names on...let me guess, how about Saturday evening in time to make the Sunday front pages?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:If this is true, then this isn't "principled resignations" but stage-managed ones.
Evolve Politics

@evolvepolitics
Follow Follow @evolvepolitics
More
Numerous sources are telling us that 3 more Labour MPs - Margaret Hodge, Peter Kyle and John Mann - may be planning to quit the party on the weekend.

Any comments on these rumours, @margarethodge, @peterkyle, @JohnMannMP?

8:06 AM - 22 Feb 2019
Wouldn't be at all surprised whether someone has a list with dates and MPs names on...let me guess, how about Saturday evening in time to make the Sunday front pages?
I wonder what reaction they were looking for before following suit. Something must have gone right if more follow, I would have thought.

Edited to add, right from their perspective. Though I don't know what that would be.
Last edited by Willow904 on Fri 22 Feb, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/d ... -recruits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The keep the Tories Inners have their own lists of course,far from sated.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's not the winning,although they think they did/are,it is taking apart.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://cpag.e-activist.com/page/38545/ ... d=n6vq9bkl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

This is exactly what I'm more concerned about right now.

From the start the right has been pushing the mantra of no deal being better than a bad deal. Against all expectations May actually manages to strike a deal and immediately up goes the refrain of "it's a bad deal" and Labour frigging echoed them. I can live with Labour being ignored if they try to push back against the right's narrative but what I can't forgive is their full-blooded endorsement. They have helped open the door to a no deal scenario. And they have boxed themselves into a corner from which it will be difficult to u-turn and vote for the WA if that's the only way to prevent no deal.

This is what's really making me cross. And Labour's naval-gazing at a time of crisis isn't helping. I don't want by-elections, I want to know what's going to happen on 30th March.

I know I'm being grumpy and I apologise. Tory government's tend to do that to me. :(
I completely get this Willow, but it is important to remember that most people aren't worrying about 30th March at all, or not more than they worry about every other day.

The Labour Party needs to speak to those folk too.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

2 of the 3 MPs cited above have apparently denied they plan to leave (Hodge being the exception thus far)

Mann said that if he ever did resign from the party, he would fight a byelection subsequently.

In some ways he is indeed an annoying arse but I have always thought he has a basic integrity that several of the splitters lack.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

You could say the same about Douglas Carswell, who certainly didn't lack bravery!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

For some reason I suddenly thought of David Willets and using the word want in a very strange way. Anyone remember?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:2 of the 3 MPs cited above have apparently denied they plan to leave (Hodge being the exception thus far)

Mann said that if he ever did resign from the party, he would fight a byelection subsequently.

In some ways he is indeed an annoying arse but I have always thought he has a basic integrity that several of the splitters lack.
I heard Peter Kyle being interviewed earlier today, and he didn't sound like someone who was planning to go anywhere soon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Glenn Greenwald
‏Verified account @ggreenwald
Replying to @IanAustinMP @OwenJones84

You're a fucking member of Parliament, you pathetic, self-pitying infant. If you don't want to be criticized by journalists, go find another job. Seriously: your whining and self-absorbed victimhood is nauseating. The real victims are your constituents
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?