Wednesday 27th February 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 27th February 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 27th February 2019

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]yo49REpQCwA[/youtube]

(would have been 55)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. usual Wednesday so won't be around until late.

My heart sank when I heard that Nick Gibb was going to be commenting on Today about the decline in language uptake as I just knew that it would be Labour's fault. And he didn't disappoint.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47334374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And just to say I do wish Chris Williamson would STFU! Not helping - let Falconer do his job.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Almost 2,000 locations across the UK have levels of air pollution that exceed safety limits, according to a pollution map released by campaigners.

In 2017, the worst location for nitrogen dioxide pollution was Kensington and Chelsea, followed by Leeds and Doncaster.

Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is one of the most harmful pollutant gases, irritating the lungs and potentially causing breathing difficulties. Road traffic is a leading source.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... 0-uk-sites" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Steve Analyst

@EmporersNewC
Following Following @EmporersNewC
More
We had a referendum in 1975 when the Eurosceptics wanted one
We had a referendum in 2016 when the Eurosceptics wanted one

The "you can't keep asking for referendums until you get the answer you want" argument ignores the fact we never asked for the referendums in the first place
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Almost 2,000 locations across the UK have levels of air pollution that exceed safety limits, according to a pollution map released by campaigners.

In 2017, the worst location for nitrogen dioxide pollution was Kensington and Chelsea, followed by Leeds and Doncaster.

Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is one of the most harmful pollutant gases, irritating the lungs and potentially causing breathing difficulties. Road traffic is a leading source.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... 0-uk-sites" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting to see Doncaster on that list. I don't go that way very often so was struck by the sheer amount of traffic on the M1 past Doncaster when I last passed that way. There seems to be a permanent bottleneck in the area. We're a very long way from tackling our traffic pollution issues, that much is clear.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://enil.eu/news/independent-living ... -portugal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Portugal introducing national network of independent living centres to support people with PA's;a new integrated disability benefit-""the social benefit for inclusion";amending law to prevent institutionalism,scrapping the term 'special educational needs"ramping up support for inclusion"
Here we portrayed benefits as a barrier to rather than a facillitator ie.lifestyle choice/buy off with a few quid extra to hide the figures both equally repulsive denigration.Of priority must be the abolition of the DWP,culturally and institutionally incapable of the necessary mindset)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

eg.only those really starving,sufficiently pathetic etc.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A change of Government will do little it will as ever,undermine all good intentions.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Phil Syrpis

@syrpis
3h3 hours ago
More
What shocked me yesterday is not that this is TM's plan; but the way in which it was received, both by Brexiters (in sombre, betrayal mood; but secretly scarcely able to contain their joy) and Remainers (seemingly genuinely pleased by TM's move) in the Tory Party. 1/

2 replies 1 retweet 9 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 1 Like 9 Direct message

Phil Syrpis

@syrpis
3h3 hours ago
More
It is still possible to turn things around, but if yesterday is an indication of where MPs are at, I do not hold out much hope. 2/2

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... h.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Phil Syrpis

@syrpis
3h3 hours ago
More
What shocked me yesterday is not that this is TM's plan; but the way in which it was received, both by Brexiters (in sombre, betrayal mood; but secretly scarcely able to contain their joy) and Remainers (seemingly genuinely pleased by TM's move) in the Tory Party. 1/

2 replies 1 retweet 9 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 1 Like 9 Direct message

Phil Syrpis

@syrpis
3h3 hours ago
More
It is still possible to turn things around, but if yesterday is an indication of where MPs are at, I do not hold out much hope. 2/2

Yes, good thread. Sets out really well what was rattling around in the back of my head yesterday. The Cooper/Letwin amendment today is pretty much do or die for a further referendum in some ways. If May gets her way we'll be back in her deal or no deal territory just with a slightly delayed implementation. The point about revocation getting legally icky once we pass the point of May's elections without returning any MEPs is very true and the first time I've seen that point made. I hadn't considered that before.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Interesting to see Doncaster on that list. I don't go that way very often so was struck by the sheer amount of traffic on the M1 past Doncaster when I last passed that way. There seems to be a permanent bottleneck in the area. We're a very long way from tackling our traffic pollution issues, that much is clear.
Our area hasn't had any bus subsidies since 2010. I think that's still correct; I've not looked recently. Two people can get a cab door to door for less money than a bus for the same journey.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote: And just to say I do wish Chris Williamson would STFU! Not helping - let Falconer do his job.
Falconer has actually been given a job? Serious question, I thought it was just a proposal at this stage.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:eg.only those really starving,sufficiently pathetic etc.
I think this government doesn't care about demonstrably starving people
There's no one they won't ignore
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Point was the DWP mindset regardless."To those who need it" is multi faceted and consequential pernicious concept.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eg.we would have survived at the expense of diminished lives,participation,increased future debt risk ie."rescuing" as trapping.Intervening at crisis point is fuckwittery,falsely economic before you get to neglect of fundamental State reciprocity.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Phil Syrpis
‏ @syrpis
The Cooper/Letwin amendment provides a real opportunity to shift the dynamic, and to enable Parliament to wrest a measure of control from TM. It allows for an extension which would eg allow a GE or a PV to happen. 9/11

Phil Syrpis
‏ @syrpis

If Parliament allows TM to have her way tomorrow, they will have allowed her (not that anyone seems to be noticing) effectively to take the PV and remain off the table. 10/11
(cJA emphasis)
Yep, that's my understanding too; I like this thread
I'm puzzled by government's discussing extensions
The UK getting extensions are up to 27 other EU nations
Getting extensions so government can mess around some more isn't going to happen
Why all this languishing about?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

At an individual level the contribution was barely registerable which facillitated cost savings,this is portrayed as burdensome,unfair and unsustainsble.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Eg.we would have survived at the expense of diminished lives,participation,increased future debt risk ie."rescuing" as trapping.Intervening at crisis point is fuckwittery,falsely economic before you get to neglect of fundamental State reciprocity.
We're not getting leadership from a reasonable government. These people aren't intelligent, they're shrewd. I think they genuinely like others' pain.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Point was the DWP mindset regardless."To those who need it" is multi faceted and consequential pernicious concept.
Indeed, who actually defines "need" for one thing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1.If you don't claim you don't need it
2.If you do,you may do subject to a set of hurdles purposefully constructed,if successfully reach the finish line,you go back to the start again.
3.If you give up you don't need it.
4.If you die on the process it's a complex situation
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Alberto Costa has been fired. That's what support from Sajid Javid gets you.

Oh - and please make Gavin Williamson keep his trap shut over the Kashmir\India\Pakistan situation.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Alberto Costa has been fired. That's what support from Sajid Javid gets you.

Oh - and please make Gavin Williamson keep his trap shut over the Kashmir\India\Pakistan situation.
A phrase transferable across the two main parties, strangely enough :fire:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - here you go. A bit better than my vague effort.
Tory MP Alberto Costa sacked as PPS over citizens' rights amendment
Lisa O'Carroll

Lisa O'Carroll

The Tory MP Alberto Costa has been sacked from his post as a parliamentary private secretary in the Scotland Office over his bid to get EU citizens’ rights ringfenced in the event of no deal. (See 11.19am and 11.53am.)

He was asked to resign after tabling an amendment calling on Theresa May to seek an urgent meeting with the EU to do a side deal securing the rights of EU citizens in the UK and British nationals settled in the EU.

“It seems ridiculous for the government to be sacking a parliamentary private secretary over an amendment that has cross party support and the support of upwards of 60 Tory backbenchers and Sajid Javid,” said a source. (Politics Live, Guardian)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Oh - here you go. A bit better than my vague effort.
Lisa O'Carroll

Lisa O'Carroll

The Tory MP Alberto Costa has been sacked from his post as a parliamentary private secretary in the Scotland Office over his bid to get EU citizens’ rights ringfenced in the event of no deal. (See 11.19am and 11.53am.)

He was asked to resign after tabling an amendment calling on Theresa May to seek an urgent meeting with the EU to do a side deal securing the rights of EU citizens in the UK and British nationals settled in the EU.

“It seems ridiculous for the government to be sacking a parliamentary private secretary over an amendment that has cross party support and the support of upwards of 60 Tory backbenchers and Sajid Javid,” said a source. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I can't understand this sacking in any sense. Getting rid of a minister over that is mad.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Seth Abramson
@SethAbramson
(THREAD) This thread contains the HIGHLIGHTS of Michael Cohen's opening remarks to the House Oversight Committee. Cohen's statement may be the most damning public statement ever made about a President of the United States in American history. I hope you will read on and RETWEET.
Although all of this was already known or suspected, it really is quite remarkable to see it all laid out like this in a public statement.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Let's see if anything actually comes of it, shall we (he said cynically)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Oh - here you go. A bit better than my vague effort.
Lisa O'Carroll

Lisa O'Carroll

I can't understand this sacking in any sense. Getting rid of a minister over that is mad.
Not as mad as getting rid of a minister over it and then accepting the former minster's amendment.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Asked about Cooper’s amendment, the spokesman said:

We would consider that amendment not to be necessary because it simply confirms the words the PM delivered from the dispatch box yesterday. On that basis it’s unlikely we’d oppose something which simply confirmed the prime minister’s own words. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
I don't like that "unlikely".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I can't understand this sacking in any sense. Getting rid of a minister over that is mad.
Not as mad as getting rid of a minister over it and then accepting the former minster's amendment.
(cJA edit)
" ...an amendment calling on Theresa May to seek an urgent meeting with the EU to do a side deal securing the rights of EU citizens in the UK and British nationals settled in the EU."
This amendment was accepted?

edited to add
The government has caved in to pressure over the fate of EU citizens in the event of a no-deal Brexit and agreed to go back to Brussels to seek a deal to ringfence their rights.

Its decision follows a morning of chaos during which the Conservative MP who tabled the amendment proposing the move was forced to quit his government post, and the home secretary said he saw “nothing wrong” with the plan even though Theresa May had dismissed it a day earlier.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sta-sacked" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crazy
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 27 Feb, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Asked about Cooper’s amendment, the spokesman said:

We would consider that amendment not to be necessary because it simply confirms the words the PM delivered from the dispatch box yesterday. On that basis it’s unlikely we’d oppose something which simply confirmed the prime minister’s own words. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
I don't like that "unlikely".
I consider that amendment necessary because the PM's words from the dispatch box aren't worth much
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Confused bootlace Tsar is sacked from the Government (7,5).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hint - already discussed upthread.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Has anyone else seen official government signage indicating the UK is leaving the EU next month?
Nothing too fancy - bus stop advertising?
I saw some today
It'd been vigorously defaced
Stoke
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I got a "Leave Means Leave" leaflet today.

What with "Brexit Means Brexit" "Delay Means Delay" and now this, my vocabulary is coming on in leaps and bounds. "It Pays to Increase Your Wordpower" as the Readers' Digest used to say.

Edited - typo
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Robert Peston
‏@Peston
6 minutes ago
More
Labour's Brexit plan comprehensively thrown out by MPs. Which means @jeremycorbyn is now formally committed to start campaigning with gusto for a referendum. That'll be interesting
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm always interested in your interesting use of the word interesting . . .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:I'm always interested in your interesting use of the word interesting . . .
TBF it was Peston wot said that!

Also TBF while I can find him irritating, Peston is putting the hours in, on Twitter at leat.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:Has anyone else seen official government signage indicating the UK is leaving the EU next month?
Nothing too fancy - bus stop advertising?
I saw some today
It'd been vigorously defaced
Stoke
I hope you have a good alibi.
I still believe in a town called Hope