Monday 18th March 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 18th March 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 18th March 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning.

So, on Brexit all the talk seems to be will she or won't she?

Bring the "deal" back for a third vote.

I've been reflecting on Hammond's comments and what their target was.
“It’s the final chance to do this deal without having to have a long extension of the Article 50 period - I’m clear about that.”

“We will only bring the deal back if we are confident that enough of our colleagues and the DUP are prepared to support it so that we can get it through Parliament.”

“It would be difficult to justify having a vote if you knew we were going to lose it,” he explained. “But the aim would be to get the support behind the Prime Minister.”
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

So, is he expecting there will be a vote and trying to get the ERG on board?

Or, is he softening us all up for the vote to be pulled?

Or both because he doesn't know what will happen?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:So, is he expecting there will be a vote and trying to get the ERG on board?

Or, is he softening us all up for the vote to be pulled?

I dislike having to fear and speculate about our government
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
He's not exactly May's best mate, so probably that.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis.
Apologies if we've had it already, but it's so good it's worth linking twice anyway.

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the problem is that the political right in both countries were not playing by the same rules. They had a quite different strategy, which was to shift policy on issues like taxation and the size of the state to the right, and instead try and win elections by pushing a socially conservative agenda. There is no triangulation here, but instead an attempt to hide a right wing agenda by starting a culture war.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The "idea" seems to be that if May thinks she will lose, the vote is put back until next week and then framed as "either my deal or a two year A50 extension".

Can't possibly see that going wrong, no sirree.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The withdrawal agreement is more road for May's can, she'll grimly continue whatever the cost, as long as it's a Tory government
She'll willingly pass the PM baton to another Tory, no problem
Vacant, nebulous and deceitful behaviour have all the characteristics of preoccupied people up to who know's what
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Wren-Lewis.
Apologies if we've had it already, but it's so good it's worth linking twice anyway.

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the problem is that the political right in both countries were not playing by the same rules. They had a quite different strategy, which was to shift policy on issues like taxation and the size of the state to the right, and instead try and win elections by pushing a socially conservative agenda. There is no triangulation here, but instead an attempt to hide a right wing agenda by starting a culture war.
Yes. We're being gamed, people.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The "idea" seems to be that if May thinks she will lose, the vote is put back until next week and then framed as "either my deal or a two year A50 extension".

Um....isn't the 20th the last date for asking for an extension?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

May's gonna change everyone's calendar
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:The "idea" seems to be that if May thinks she will lose, the vote is put back until next week and then framed as "either my deal or a two year A50 extension".

Thread.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eek.
Simon Usherwood

Verified account

@Usherwood
2h2 hours ago
More
So, 11 days out, we have no agreement on a deal, no agreement on ratifying a deal, no agreement on an extension and no sign of revocation.

Which means: we continue to head towards a no-deal that Parliament says it will not countenance
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:

Yes, she will ask for one in the next few days I expect.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

But the problem is that the political right in both countries were not playing by the same rules.
---
There is no triangulation here, but instead an attempt to hide a right wing agenda by starting a culture war. As the right has control over a section of the media, they can also misrepresent their own and their opponents position. That control, together with ineffective scrutiny by the non-partisan media, allows politicians to lie to an extent that would have been thought inconceivable a couple of decades earlier.
I think you need to add in one additional point here, and that is a public that is looking for radical solutions, by which I means solutions that move away from the status quo. The reason for this is not hard to understand: the worst recession since WWII following the financial crisis, stagnant and declining real wages, and geographical areas (rural, towns) that seem to be falling behind more dynamic cities.

Simon Wren-Lewis
Triangulation or bipartisanship does not work when one side goes off the scale
I think it's worth posting a couple times
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I can't see that there is any realistic chance of any extension being considered unless or until she has a clear and cleared plan - if she puts off the vote again, and goes asking for a short extension so once the vote is passed there is time to put it into effect, I think there is a very very strong likelihood that the EU27 will say no.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Can she do that without asking the House?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

I may be making assumptions, but I'm pretty certain we will have to ask for a specific length extension for a specific reason, to have the best chance of securing one and if we are turned down there is unlikely to be time for any do overs. So if May is to ram her deal through against the "threat" of a lengthy extension (or possibly even revocation) she has to do it in the next couple of days, because if she doesn't win the vote she will need to ask for that long extension just to keep the hope of a deal alive or, if she only asks for a short one with no deal approved, the EU will probably only grant it, if at all, in order to give themselves more time to prepare for a no deal exit. We are not going to resolve in the next couple of weeks what we haven't resolved in two years (and it would be just a couple of weeks because any short extension would need to include 6-8 weeks to ratify any deal).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Um....isn't the 20th the last date for asking for an extension?
Can she do that without asking the House?
A delay motion was passed on Thursday.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:I can't see that there is any realistic chance of any extension being considered unless or until she has a clear and cleared plan - if she puts off the vote again, and goes asking for a short extension so once the vote is passed there is time to put it into effect, I think there is a very very strong likelihood that the EU27 will say no.
That may indeed be why the 2 year figure is now being mentioned a fair bit.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

adam wrote:I can't see that there is any realistic chance of any extension being considered unless or until she has a clear and cleared plan - if she puts off the vote again, and goes asking for a short extension so once the vote is passed there is time to put it into effect, I think there is a very very strong likelihood that the EU27 will say no.
There's also a possible problem of article 50 being revoked during a short extension period resulting in us remaining eu member but then not having elected MEPs.

edited: Possibly reads better with real words.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinybgoat wrote:
There's also a possible problem of article 50 being revoked during a short extension period resulting in us remaining eu member but then not having elected MEPs.

Yes, agreed.

And there is also also the possibility of May squeaking her deal over the line by promising to quit before the next stage, and the EU seeing that they are about to face two more years of 'what we want or no deal and WTO terms' and declining even a technical extension. It would be fun to see parliament work through the night for a fortnight.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:

I hadn't really considered that, it's certainly a potential problem but possibly not a problem the EU would mind having too much compared to the alternatives :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:

Yes, agreed.

And there is also also the possibility of May squeaking her deal over the line by promising to quit before the next stage, and the EU seeing that they are about to face two more years of 'what we want or no deal and WTO terms' and declining even a technical extension. It would be fun to see parliament work through the night for a fortnight.
Would Parliament be allowed to do so?
Five days ago an article in the Telegraph
'Mrs May's only option is to regain control of Brexit by shutting down Parliament '
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
adam wrote: Yes, agreed.

Would Parliament be allowed to do so?
Five days ago an article in the Telegraph
'Mrs May's only option is to regain control of Brexit by shutting down Parliament '
There are still suggestions being made in BTL comments that MPs should just go home and let us leave next Friday without a deal.

I think my point is that the EU must know that the whole 'we want rights but not responsibilities' conversation is about to start all over again, and if getting this deal done involves May either agreeing to go or being outsted, she was at least eventually amenable to a deal the EU could live with. Do they want to make things easier for us if it's only to have us go back to saying 'our deal or no deal and WTO terms - you need us more than we need you'. And so on. (They probably do, they probably are a lot happier to get this stage banked and then rely on it to move forward on. I'm just moaning about two more years of bullshit).

Edited to add - just to say again - 'next Friday'. Yes, that's next Friday.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We shouldn't have to be guessing what our government is doing
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:

I hadn't really considered that, it's certainly a potential problem but possibly not a problem the EU would mind having too much compared to the alternatives :)
In that eventuality, we could surely hold "stand alone" elections to the parliament in fairly short order?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:---
There are still suggestions being made in BTL comments that MPs should just go home and let us leave next Friday without a deal.

I think my point is that the EU must know that the whole 'we want rights but not responsibilities' conversation is about to start all over again, and if getting this deal done involves May either agreeing to go or being outsted, she was at least eventually amenable to a deal the EU could live with. Do they want to make things easier for us if it's only to have us go back to saying 'our deal or no deal and WTO terms - you need us more than we need you'. And so on. (They probably do, they probably are a lot happier to get this stage banked and then rely on it to move forward on. I'm just moaning about two more years of bullshit).

Edited to add - just to say again - 'next Friday'. Yes, that's next Friday.
(cJA edit)
I doubt May and her government will stop more years of bullshit if her withdrawal agreement makes it through Parliament or not
I don't think they'll comply with rules they've agreed following
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If MPs do not agree a Brexit deal this week, Theresa May expects to be offered a nine-month article 50 extension by the EU, ITV’s Robert Peston reports.
"Minister tells me @theresa_may expects EU to grant nine month Brexit delay. What would that mean for when (or indeed if) we leave the EU?"
News report from politics live blog
Does Barnier or anyone else representing the EU know about this nine-month article 50 extension?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Yeah, that 9 months seems to have come out of nowhere.

I have thought perhaps the EU might offer a lengthy extension, just so if we turn it down and crash out with no deal we can't say it was their fault. (And also to put beyond doubt the need to elect MEPs). But 9 months is an odd timeframe. Would it be contingent on an election or referendum to break the parliament deadlock?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Yeah, that 9 months seems to have come out of nowhere.

I have thought perhaps the EU might offer a lengthy extension, just so if we turn it down and crash out with no deal we can't say it was their fault. (And also to put beyond doubt the need to elect MEPs). But 9 months is an odd timeframe. Would it be contingent on an election or referendum to break the parliament deadlock?
Nine months takes us to the end of the year but I'm not aware that the end of this year is a significant date - the end of 2020 is the end of the current budget period, that would make a certain kind of sense.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Do you think Bercow might rule, this week, that if the government want to bring this question back yet again after this week then it needs to be substantially changed? It might be one way of asserting his and the house's authority over the matter without causing a crisis by refusing to put the question on the meaningless vote again.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

23 Brexiter Tories say they won't vote for May's deal just to avoid no Brexit

If they follow through, and if the DUP come on board with May, she would need about 12 switchers from the opposition benches, I think. if the DUP voted no then she'd need an extra ten from elsewhere.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... cle-course" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

2m ago 15:35
John Bercow's statement

John Bercow, the Common[sic] speaker, is making a surprise statement to MPs.

He says there has been much speculation about another meaningful vote.

On 13 March Angela Eagle, the Labour MP, asked if it would be proper for the government to keep putting the same motion to a vote.

He says MPs from both sides of the House, and from both sides of the argument, have expressed their concerns to him their concerns about MPs voting on the same thing over and over again.

Erskine May, the parliamentary rulebook, says an issue that has been decided in substance cannot be brought back to the Commons. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I'm assuming that there must be more to come (so I've just admitted to probably having jumped the gun with my post).

Edited to add -

The first edit was to add a "[sic]"
The second edit was to explain the first edit.
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 18 Mar, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

2m ago 15:35
John Bercow's statement

John Bercow, the Common speaker, is making a surprise statement to MPs.

He says there has been much speculation about another meaningful vote.

On 13 March Angela Eagle, the Labour MP, asked if it would be proper for the government to keep putting the same motion to a vote.

He says MPs from both sides of the House, and from both sides of the argument, have expressed their concerns to him their concerns about MPs voting on the same thing over and over again.

Erskine May, the parliamentary rulebook, says an issue that has been decided in substance cannot be brought back to the Commons. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I'm assuming that there must be more to come (so I've just admitted to probably having jumped the gun with my post).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Squirrels.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Bercow wants to summarise the chronology of events.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... eadf77fc30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll stay tuned for that
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oops.
Sorry for the echo, PorFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is Bercow okay? Anyone have contact? His account has been interrupted
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bercow rules out another vote on May's Brexit deal unless details change

He says this is not his final ruling on the matter.

Mark Francois, the Tory Brexiter, asks if Bercow’s ruling applies to amendments like the Cooper/Boles one, allowing MPs to take charge of the Commons timetable.

Responding to Mark Francois, Bercow says everything depends upon the circumstances. He says he would have to consider very carefully whether a proposition was the same.

Bercow suggests the “no repeat votes” rule could rule out further votes on some of the amendments championed by MPs who want parliament to take control of the Brexit process.(Politics Live, Guardian)
Can't say that I'm entirely clear what's going\gone on (the "not my final ruling" bit).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bercow implies he will not allow a new vote on the Brexit deal unless the EU agrees to further changes to it.

This takes Bercow’s ruling much further than his original words implied. (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Jeremy Corbyn being vague may yet pay dividends.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

James Cleverly, a Conservative, says if Bercow had made this ruling earlier, MPs might have realised that last week was their last chance to vote for the Brexit deal. They might have voted differently, he says. (Politics Live, Guardian)
What a pillock.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Earlier, I did have a smirk at this, from John Bercow, "Fundamentally, for something to be different, it has to be fundamentally different." A variation on "'Brexit' means "'Brexit'"?

Edited - typo
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Hugh Bennett

@HughRBennett
5h5 hours ago
More Hugh Bennett Retweeted George Osborne
May now offering Olly Robbins up as a sacrificial lamb to try to save her own skin

But it wasn't Olly Robbins who gave himself the authority to run Brexit as his own private fiefdom behind the backs of the Cabinet and even the Brexit Department itself

It was May
Pretty outrageous from No 10 if these reports are true.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

(((Dan Hodges)))

Verified account

@DPJHodges
Follow Follow @DPJHodges
More
Said last week he’d do this. When it was the Grieve amendment precedent wasn’t important. Suddenly it’s all important. Simply interpreting the rules upon the basis of what creates the most problems for the government. Not even pretending any more.
:toss:

I'd say that someone isn't pretending any more that he is just a government shill...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

darth™

@darth
1h1 hour ago
More
imagine having a 415 year old precedent in your pocket and actually finding a use for it
i mean seriously brexit is insane
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Helen O'Rahilly

@HelenORahilly
Follow Follow @HelenORahilly
More
So the Solicitor General is now suggesting that Parliament be switched off and then back on again so May can have her third ‘meaningful’ vote. I wish Spike Milligan was still alive for his view on this.