Monday 18th March 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 18th March 2019

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:Helen O'Rahilly

@HelenORahilly
Follow Follow @HelenORahilly
More
So the Solicitor General is now suggesting that Parliament be switched off and then back on again so May can have her third ‘meaningful’ vote. I wish Spike Milligan was still alive for his view on this.

The "Etch-a-Sketch" Government.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I hope we've all PTOd . . .
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

We've had "WA + negotiate FTA" but we haven't had "WA + negotiate SM".

Maybe the government could give that one a whirl?

We also haven't had a vote on revoking article 50 yet, either.

There's lots of shiny and new things parliament can reject if May really puts her mind to it. Running down the clock until crashing out day should still be a doddle.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

To be serious for a moment though, surely May just needs to bring a vote on overturning the "no two same exact votes on the same thing per session" rule for the WA, owing to the exceptional circumstances.

If MPs actually want to vote her deal through, she should be able to get a majority for it quite easily, I should have thought, and if she doesn't we roll on under the assumption it wasn't going to pass anyway.

Although roll on to what, exactly, I don't know. A parliament in favour of leaving the EU because it's the "will of the people" who don't want May's deal, no deal or a further referendum are seriously running out of road.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G:
Justine Greening, the Tory pro-European, asks for a statement about the article 50 extension procedure.
Kwasi Kwarteng, the Brexit minister, says the government will seek to negotiate an article 50 extension.
He says, although article 50 does not say how a country should seek an article 50 extension, Theresa May will write to Donald Tusk, the European council president, with a request.
It is expected the European council will discuss this at the summit later this week.
If it agrees an extension, a statutory instrument will be laid next week. It will have to be passed by MPs and by peers, he says.

After everything that's been said about needing a good reason for any extension request, it looks like we're going for "please can we have more time becomes we've made an utter arse end of it."

At least, I suppose, this won't come as an entire surprise to our EU neighbours who have been watching us make an arse end of it for years.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@ariehkovler
Follow
Follow @ariehkovler

More
Kwasi Kwarteng is telling MPs that the UK will ask for a Brexit extension first, and then allow MPs to decide on the reason why afterwards.
6:43 PM - 18 Mar 2019
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wall:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Willow904 wrote:To be serious for a moment though, surely May just needs to bring a vote on overturning the "no two same exact votes on the same thing per session" rule for the WA, owing to the exceptional circumstances.

If MPs actually want to vote her deal through, she should be able to get a majority for it quite easily, I should have thought, and if she doesn't we roll on under the assumption it wasn't going to pass anyway.

Although roll on to what, exactly, I don't know. A parliament in favour of leaving the EU because it's the "will of the people" who don't want May's deal, no deal or a further referendum are seriously running out of road.
Yes but imagine she was just about to scrape the numbers. Having to do that several times gets harder and harder. There's only so long you can hold your nose.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

[youtube]9cQgQIMlwWw[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Jeremy Corbyn being vague may yet pay dividends.
Come on, Seabiscuit!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've made crumble and there's ice cream too
help yourselves
Constance, will you please wash some spoons?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:To be serious for a moment though, surely May just needs to bring a vote on overturning the "no two same exact votes on the same thing per session" rule for the WA, owing to the exceptional circumstances.

Yes but imagine she was just about to scrape the numbers. Having to do that several times gets harder and harder. There's only so long you can hold your nose.
I just meant that May's deal could still be passed if the will is there, but it's a pretty academic point I agree, as MPs have clearly deicided there's some better way of implementing their pledges to respect the referendum result that doesn't involve suffering the inevitable consequences and compromises that leaving the EU entails.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

I just meant that May's deal could still be passed if the will is there, but it's a pretty academic point I agree, as MPs have clearly deicided there's some better way of implementing their pledges to respect the referendum result that doesn't involve suffering the inevitable consequences and compromises that leaving the EU entails.
Yes agreed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What has John Bercow done now?
Everything you need to know about decision by Commons Speaker to stop MPs voting for third time on PM’s deal
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... w-done-now" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the article's final paragraph
Currently Erskine May, all 1,097 pages of it, will cost you £439.99 for a hard copy from the parliament bookshop. However, change is afoot. it is already digitised and available on the parliamentary intranet. In December the leader of the Commons, Andrea Leadsom, said it would soon be available to all for free. This is expected to happen with the forthcoming 25th edition.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

government is desperate
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Not me, but...

Richard Osman
‏@richardosman

Quick note to John Bercow.

Erskine May is an anagram of ‘risky enema’.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So now it's a "constitutional crisis".

When it's mainly a Government failure.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:So now it's a "constitutional crisis".

When it's mainly a Government failure.
Government got the disgraced former something-or-other fellow crowing about trade deals secured with Lichtenstein
Desperate, I tell you
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Just in case anybody needs cheering up

Meteor blast over Bering Sea was 10 times size of Hiroshima
Fireball over Kamchatka peninsula in December went largely unnoticed at the time ... Nasa received information about the blast from the US air force after military satellites detected visible and infrared light from the fireball in December. ... The Bering Sea event is another reminder that despite efforts to identify and track space rocks that could pose a threat to Earth, sizeable meteors can still arrive without warning.
[youtube]frAEmhqdLFs[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

“...responsible, faithful to duty, open to awe.”
- Lavinia
Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor