Tuesday 30th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 30th September 2014

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Whooo...Mr Ohso and I have just had a nasty shock.

Had the car MoTd and front brakes replaced towards the end of July. Haven't been out and about in it much but have been on the mootorway a few times.
Yesterday we were on our way to do some shopping. Funny flapping thumping noise from front of car, but nothing obvious, and Mr Ohso can't get down to check the lower regions. Drove carefully home, called in a local mobile mechanic and all the wheel nuts were loose. He unscrewed the locking nut on the left front wheel with his fingers! The wheel was about to fall off. The other three wheels were loose as well.
That made our tickers thump for a minute.
So, we've just been on to Trading Standards...
Crikey! I'm amazed how relatively often that sort of thing happens. On the one hand a lucky escape. On the other, something that you should never have needed to escape from.
We were on a fast stretch of open road. If we hadn't stopped when we did, chances are we'd have ended up down a steep embankment and straight into thick pine forest.

Evidently not our time to go....
Ouch! so glad you are both all ok but ...yikes that garage need a rocket!
:hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Temulkar wrote: Churchill's opposition voted 21 times against the NHS Bill including second and third readings. Thats not just revisionism thats outright blatant falsehood. The media need to call him up on it.

Im starting to hope UKIP do pull another tory out of the hat just to wipe the smug grins off their faces.
Sat here nodding vigorously. What's the better that no-one in any media organisation takes the twat to task for his lies? And, yes, I do hope there's another high vis defection to UKIP from the Tories first thing tomorrow just to fuck their day up.
Can we also make the case that Churchill was a shit peace time PM, glossed over by history?
He was responsible I think for the old age pension and fought for sick pay but that seemed to be the extent of his philanthropy. I imagine the thought was if it went too far we'd all forget our place, and he desperately wanted the status quo to return to how it was between the wars...Cap doffing servants, weekend house parties, huntin', shootin', fishin'. England's green and pleasant land, blah, blah, blah.

I bet they hanker after those days still. It must piss them off dreadfully when we won't bow and scrape.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Tue 30 Sep, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

BBCSunPolMidlands ‏@sunpoliticsmids 2h2 hours ago
William Cash Jr son of Stone MP @BillCashMP has joined UKIP as their heritage spokesman.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:BBCSunPolMidlands ‏@sunpoliticsmids 2h2 hours ago
William Cash Jr son of Stone MP @BillCashMP has joined UKIP as their heritage spokesman.
Might have waiting till Cameron's speech - unless Dad's following?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Sat here nodding vigorously. What's the better that no-one in any media organisation takes the twat to task for his lies? And, yes, I do hope there's another high vis defection to UKIP from the Tories first thing tomorrow just to fuck their day up.
Can we also make the case that Churchill was a shit peace time PM, glossed over by history?
He was responsible I think for the old age pension and fought for sick pay but that seemed to be the extent of his philanthropy. I imagine the thought was if it went too far we'd all forget our place, and he desperately wanted the status quo to return to how it was between the wars...Cap doffing servants, weekend house parties, huntin', shootin', fishin'. England's green and pleasant land, blah, blah, blah.

I bet they hanker after those days still. It must piss them off dreadfully when we won't bow and scrape.
I thought he campaigned against 'sweatshops' and had summat to do with wage councils?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

ohsocynical wrote:BBCSunPolMidlands ‏@sunpoliticsmids 2h2 hours ago
Philip Hollobone is now 2/1 to defect to UKIP before Cameron's speech. :lol:

And, to prove they really are losing the plot a Conservative activist/member was filmed burning an EU flag outside their conference building.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Here's a link for the Cash jr defection to UKIP

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-09- ... oins-ukip/
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF

And Hello DHP.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

refitman wrote:
Night PF

And Hello DHP.
Night PF and Hello to DHP from me as well :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 9m9 minutes ago
Whoops. Got my Philips mixed up. The 2/1 favourite for next CON MP defection to UKIP is Philip Hollobone
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I missed the Morgan speech as the preamble of guests took so long and I wasn't going to miss my swimming...

But here's an odd thing - the academy in Birmingham that had one of the teachers and two pupils speak was a Labour academy from 2009...and also an E Act school.

that's the same E Act that's in a whole mess and having to give back 10 schools to go to other sponsors, and also has financial issues too.

I might see if I can work out where they went wrong...over expansion too quickly maybe? Wouldn't surprise me.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Frightful_Oik

I thought he campaigned against 'sweatshops' and had summat to do with wage councils?

Yes he did, although I don't think the whole country benefited at the time. I have another biography about him by Roy Jenkins, and there is mention that he went down a coal mine and was deeply affected by the miners working conditions. There is no doubt he'd be far to the left of the Conservative party today. And probably think Cameron and Co, are crass upstarts.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

ohsocynical wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Sat here nodding vigorously. What's the better that no-one in any media organisation takes the twat to task for his lies? And, yes, I do hope there's another high vis defection to UKIP from the Tories first thing tomorrow just to fuck their day up.

He was president of the Board of Trade when Lloyd George brought pensions, sick pay, labour exchanges, free school meals, National Insurance, Sick pay and the dole (dependent upon contribution), school medical inspections. Once upon a time the Liberals cared about the poor, the shades of Asquith and the Goat must be weeping at Clegg today.

Churchill was an awful peacetime PM/Chancellor/Opposition leader. DLG won the first world war and subsequent election and achieved all of the above as chancellor. Yet we have that degenerate scion of a degenerate house lauded as our greatest PM.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Mmn, interesting, Hollobone is one of four Conservative MP's who had informal pacts with UKIP at the 2010 election, the others being Carswell, Reckless and ranty Philip Davies.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

DFH reckons Cameron must confront elements in his party tomorrow the same way Neil Kinnock did in 1985, I remember that speech, I was 17 at the time, even now it is electrifying to watch, Kinnock had guts, Cameron doesn't, he will cede more and more to people who will never be happy.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

What's the betting DFH will decide it is a brilliant speech, almost regardless of the actual content?

And then, maybe, use that as an excuse for finally "crossing the floor"??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Mmn, interesting, Hollobone is one of four Conservative MP's who had informal pacts with UKIP at the 2010 election, the others being Carswell, Reckless and ranty Philip Davies.
As did an unsucessful candidate, Alex Story, who I knew from studying. He wasn't popular.

He failed to get elected in the European Elections this year too. Should have joined UKIP.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

23rdturnoff wrote:If UKIP needs Labour votes, then I suggest they stop recruiting Tory MPs. Many more and they start to simply look like a disaffected Tory splinter group rather than the new grassroots movement they like to project.
imageark wrote:Spot the fuck on.

Style of thing
hadn't realised that I missed Imageark, but there you go.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nts-farage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Night PF.

So, 'media' news .......

After trying to pretend "it wasn't us guv, honest" for the past couple of days, Rusty's bezzie mate Paul Staines has now decided to accept full responsibility for the Brooks Nomark story; the line is it wasn't a fishing expedition but a "narrowly targeted effort" designed to exactly what it did ....force the resignation of a Minister. Leaving aside the improbability of Staines, Wickham and his crew doing anything out of moral duty, this defiant post on their tawdry little blog (with the final lines about attempts of censorship) rather suggests that Paul has had his ear bent by Lynton and didn't like the experience.

http://order-order.com/2014/09/30/not-so-pronto-ipso/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But he'd better not upset too many people as one of his sometime paymasters, the Daily Mail, have made an appointment that means they will probably no longer need his services; in a match made truly in heaven the Daily Mail has appointed Piers Morgan as "Editor-at-Large", with a remit to fill their pages full of sleaze from across the other side of the Atlantic. One more reason (as if any more were needed) to never read that nasty fascist rag.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... organ.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A smiley I never thought I'd use, but which seems so appropriate in this case ........

:toss: :toss: :toss: :toss:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:DFH reckons Cameron must confront elements in his party tomorrow the same way Neil Kinnock did in 1985, I remember that speech, I was 17 at the time, even now it is electrifying to watch, Kinnock had guts, Cameron doesn't, he will cede more and more to people who will never be happy.
Cameron hasn't got the guts, and anyway it is too late. Kinnocks speech was the point at which Labour launched a purge on militant at every level of the party. It was destroyed as a movement before it could infiltrate the party.

The time for the Tories to do that was arguably 1992, but they were too weak. Given that the absolute last chance was 1997 and Hague blew it. There are now over 100 Tea Party Tory MPs, they are embedded at all levels in the party. In fact there are more hard line right wingers than moderate Tory MPs.

Game over Dave, they have won.

Why not tweet DFH with something like.

Too late Dan - the Tory extremists have taken over, 100 MPs ain't as easy as Derek Hatton
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:What's the betting DFH will decide it is a brilliant speech, almost regardless of the actual content?

And then, maybe, use that as an excuse for finally "crossing the floor"??
I think his mother would (as the Americans say) rip him a new one if he did that. Dan just wants the return of New Labour, and to be restored to his rightful place as prophet and chief scribe until he is given a safe seat; that is all the support of Cameron amounts to, a way to continue undermining Ed, guarantee defeat next year and precipitate a counter-revolution in the party which will see the Blairites back in control. Frankly he is delusional, and I think Glenda should rip him a new one anyway.

Mind you, I could be wrong about all of that. :lol:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:DFH reckons Cameron must confront elements in his party tomorrow the same way Neil Kinnock did in 1985, I remember that speech, I was 17 at the time, even now it is electrifying to watch, Kinnock had guts, Cameron doesn't, he will cede more and more to people who will never be happy.
Reckless the MP who went over to UKIP, said Cameron does the same with his MPs as he does with us. Will promise anything, then forget about it. He can't be trusted to stick to his word.

I'll bet he thought he could take office. Delegate responsibility to his cabinet and it would be easy peasy. You can almost hear him saying, 'It's only a question of man management and putting the right man in the job'. Which unfortunately meant only close friends and cronies.

Politics is one of the most back stabbing cut throat careers there is. Every one wants the top job or high position.

A phone call from mummy won't help his career now. He's over reached. The man is an idiot.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

About Us
The Sutton Trust was founded in 1997 by Sir Peter Lampl to improve social mobility through education. As well as being a think-tank, the Sutton Trust is a ‘do-tank,’ having funded over 200 programmes, commissioned over 140 research studies and influenced Government education policy by pushing social mobility to the top of the political agenda.
http://www.suttontrust.com/about-us/us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cf: primary sources: Education
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I do believe I've slipped into The Twilight Zone.
George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton
Rare fringe appearance by Lynton Crosby on winning the Muslim vote.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Most of us are avoiding Sparrow's beta blog, it hasn't gone unnoticed, his final comment today
That’s all from me for today.

Thanks for the comments (those of you who are left!)
:(
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.hannahmitchell.org.uk/category/publications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Hannah Mitchell Foundation works for a fair and prosperous North of England within a federal Britain. The foundation was formed in March 2012 and is steadily building up its membership (why not join us?)
Another one for the primary sources. (?)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Most of us are avoiding Sparrow's beta blog, it hasn't gone unnoticed, his final comment today

468 comments for the day tells its own story - at times there was nobody posting for 10 minutes or so - it's never been like that before.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
gilsey wrote:Most of us are avoiding Sparrow's beta blog, it hasn't gone unnoticed, his final comment today

468 comments for the day tells its own story - at times there was nobody posting for 10 minutes or so - it's never been like that before.
There was a big slump in posts after nesting was introduced, but it had recovered within a few months.

I wonder if that will be the case this time, I doubt it tbh. Even people like me who stayed loyal then are on the brink of sacking this new abomination off :(

Feel for AS here, tbh - he clearly has no say in what is going on :twisted:
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 30 Sep, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Oh look Beta has its own twitter feed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GuardianBeta

Maybe we should tweet them.

Congrats on murdering Sparrows blog with your hopeless interface
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Nigel Farage beats David Cameron to the top of the 2014 Right-Wing Power List

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 65484.html

Hours are spent answering the question: 'Just how will this policy announcement play with the Kippers?'

So in effect Farage is leading the Tories and the country?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohso wrote:So in effect Farage is leading the Tories and the country?
What in god's name are we on (as a nation)?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Evening All

And thanks for the primary sources links. If nobody beats me too it I'll open a thread on that soon.

But in the mean time I'm on a mission :twisted: ;-)
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton

Crosby: "Most important influence on voters is the values they think you have."
My emphasis.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

A certain proportion will reflect the absence of both paid and voluntary Tory trolls - perhaps enjoying the transcendental joy of walking past conference security with an OFFICIAL pass. They're probably just the types for whom status is everything.

And of course, as trolls their job is to provoke and displace reactions, and a "good" troll can provoke dozens of enfuriated replies to a single post. So a lack of trolls means that the blog may be back to a more natural level.

So I guess that's why the Graun tolerate, condone or indeed encourage those that troll what used to be their natural readerships. Wringing every last click out of us before we leave them, and they continue their voyage away from us.

Harrumph.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

OOh-er. What's that above me?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:OOh-er. What's that above me?
Looks like someone who needs to be zapped...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Duly zapped, annoying little bastards.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
A good 25 more on the members list and the one you just zpped is back :(
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

be sure to enclose photographs of your bits and bobs to confirm identity
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Looks like someone who needs to be zapped...
A good 25 more on the members list and the one you just zpped is back :(
An awful lot of them begin with 'k'...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I was going to try the embed thing but this is a bit big and I'd be bound to mess it up, so will just give the link :lol: :lol:

Tory's visit the hospital
And are disappointed

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Andrew Graystone ‏@AndrewGraystone · 11h11 hours ago
Pre-paid benefit cards are already used for asylum seekers. Hugely oppressive (unless you're Tesco or Asda.) Our church swaps them for cash.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A small bit of cheer.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/live/2 ... ke-webchat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

That's a very interesting way to sign off your blog, but possibly the most prescient comment he could make. I wonder if we should offer him membership of FTN?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/fra ... ns-7860132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Disabled Tory Party member pens furious letter to Cameron and Co

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/di ... ns-4354236

I feel desperately sorry for this lady's plight and can understand her being taken in by Dave using his little boy Ivan as bait in 2010, but I have this niggling feeling she'll still vote Tory in 2015.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

That's a very interesting way to sign off your blog, but possibly the most prescient comment he could make. I wonder if we should offer him membership of FTN?
It would be a nice gesture. It's thanks to his blog we ended up here.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I was just about to get stuck in on the 20 new 'k' class members and get rid of them and ban their IPs, but they've miraculously vanished.

I suspect the Hand of Dan...