Tuesday 19th March 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 19th March 2019

Post by HindleA »

"housing diversity day"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:PhilWilsonMP
‏@MPphilwilson

I was asked to go on @BBCNewsnight then told at the last minute I wasn’t required. Not true to say there was no @UKLabour voice available
Wasn't it claimed no one accepted an invite?

Presumably poor Phil Wilson is the "wrong" kind of Labour MP.
Yes exactly and people who watched clearly recalling Maitlis saying Labour were invited and failed to provide a spokesperson :evil:
Maybe they just thought she would roll her eyes at them again?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Paris says UK should not get article 50 extension unless it presents new strategy
Angelique Chrisafis

Angelique Chrisafis

Paris reiterated its tough line on Tuesday afternoon, insisting no extension could be granted to the UK without the government presenting a credible “new strategy or plan” which would need to have parliament’s backing. An Elysée official said:

Playing for time just for the sake of playing for time would not constitute a project or strategy. Now is not the time for procrastinating. (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Far from having a "plan", Theresa May can't even make a decision over what length of extension she wants. Or, probably, for what reason she wants one. The EU are, no doubt, even more impressed than ever. The only last-minute blinking that they might be doing must be to blink back their tears. Moi aussi.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Jeremy Corbyn being criticised on TV news by other Parties (LibDems and Plaid) for only being prepared to talk about, in a meeting today, his own "Brexit" ideas - which seem to exclude talking about another referendum. I think the time has come. It's now or never, I feel.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just spotted this -
Barnier mocked the idea that May could ask for a long extension and a short one too. When this was put to him, he said:

You said both short and long, well, it’s either one or the other, isn’t it?

He said everyone should “finalise all preparations for a no-deal scenario." (Politics Live, Guardian)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lyrics from The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot are in my head now
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:Jeremy Corbyn being criticised on TV news by other Parties (LibDems and Plaid) for only being prepared to talk about, in a meeting today, his own "Brexit" ideas - which seem to exclude talking about another referendum. I think the time has come. It's now or never, I feel.
Already too late if you ask me. We had a referendum vote last Thursday, but in the most amazing piece of complacency hardly anyone backed it, even some people for whom a referendum was their preferred choice. Because they were waiting for the indicative votes on Wednesday, someone smugly and complacently informed me on twitter. Why wait another week, if you could win the vote now, I asked. What if the indicative votes don't happen, I queried. To which I received no coherent answer.

The truth is Labour failed to win the last election so the honours of negotiating a WA fell to Theresa May. And she did. I said a while back it would have been better for Labour if she didn't manage to get a deal as any negative fall out would then have been hers alone but by refusing to vote through her WA Labour are now at least partially responsible for what happens next. And we are now relying on luck and the good will of the EU for this to turn out to be anything other than a complete disaster.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well if we *do* get a lengthy A50 extension/cancellation then the likelihood of another referendum shoots up I would think, regardless of what Corbyn does or doesn't say.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Jeremy Corbyn being criticised on TV news by other Parties (LibDems and Plaid) for only being prepared to talk about, in a meeting today, his own "Brexit" ideas - which seem to exclude talking about another referendum. I think the time has come. It's now or never, I feel.
Already too late if you ask me. We had a referendum vote last Thursday, but in the most amazing piece of complacency hardly anyone backed it, even some people for whom a referendum was their preferred choice. Because they were waiting for the indicative votes on Wednesday, someone smugly and complacently informed me on twitter. Why wait another week, if you could win the vote now, I asked. What if the indicative votes don't happen, I queried. To which I received no coherent answer.

The truth is Labour failed to win the last election so the honours of negotiating a WA fell to Theresa May. And she did. I said a while back it would have been better for Labour if she didn't manage to get a deal as any negative fall out would then have been hers alone but by refusing to vote through her WA Labour are now at least partially responsible for what happens next. And we are now relying on luck and the good will of the EU for this to turn out to be anything other than a complete disaster.
May's withdrawal agreement is hers alone, she insisted on it with her red lines and she's disregarded Parliament, the best interests of the nation, the people and the EU. She refused including anyone else. She treats the opposition parties and public service staff with personal animosity. She's an unprofessional, dishonest person helping create an emergency situation concocted in order to save the Tory party. I can't agree with you about Labour being in any way responsible for Tory government's utter failure.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think May is without a conscience. That's uncomfortable acknowledging because it means there's no negotiating. Responsible people understand compromise and expect others do too. That's usually satisfactory for all involved. I've no idea where current events are taking us.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Has May deigned informing people what the hell she's doing now?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well if we *do* get a lengthy A50 extension/cancellation then the likelihood of another referendum shoots up I would think, regardless of what Corbyn does or doesn't say.
That's, in part, my point.

By the way, I've just heard on the news that Caroline Lucas thought that the meeting with Jeremy Corbyn went quite well. So there we go - who to believe? ('Though Plaid wouldn't be my first choice for an unbiased account, I suppose.)

Edited - typo
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:Lyrics from The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot are in my head now
Oh, I love Gordon Lightfoot's stuff.

[youtube]9vST6hVRj2A[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA made me do it!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well if we *do* get a lengthy A50 extension/cancellation then the likelihood of another referendum shoots up I would think, regardless of what Corbyn does or doesn't say.
That's, in part, my point.

By the way, I've just heard on the news that Caroline Lucas thought that the meeting with Jeremy Corbyn went quite well. So there we go - who to believe? ('Though Plaid wouldn't be my first choice for an unbiased account, I suppose.)

Edited - typo
Though I don't always agree with her I have a good deal of respect for Lucas. She's certainly capable of understanding the nuances of Labour's position. Corbyn is still the only leader really looking for a compromise position and she will see the sense in that.

The trouble for me is that an immediate referendum will only at best be sticking plaster, which is why I favour an interim solution plus eventual Peoples Vote.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:citizenJA made me do it!

And then ran away, apparently . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

early night for me
Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Ooh, there's that famous BBC balance again:
Laura Kuenssberg
‏Verified account @bbclaurak

Laura Kuenssberg Retweeted iain watson

if you are one of the people who was hoping @TheIndGroup might start to change the culture round here, you'll be depressed by this

Laura Kuenssberg added,
iain watson
Verified account @iainjwatson
My colleague @laurencesleator reports that independent MP @IanAustinMP and tIG's @MikeGapes have been removed from the Foreign Affairs committee They will be replaced by @UKLabour MPs Catherine West and @ConorMcGinn
6:05 PM - 19 Mar 2019
And;
BBC Politics
‏Verified account @BBCPolitics

Ex-Labour MPs 'booted' off Foreign Affairs Committee
8:04 PM - 19 Mar 2019
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Re that ^^^ I note that Ian Austin got told several times that having a right old go at Corbyn was irrelevant to the motion being put forward...not that this stopped him though.

I can't see the issue - if Labour have a certain number of places on any committee, then if you're not a Labour MP any longer then you get replaced.

Or am I missing something.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I notice that #HannanIrishHistory is trending on that Twitter right now.

For a start he got his facts wrong but then he claimed to have a Double First in History from Oxford...but this was pointed out not to actually exist.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

citizenJA wrote:Lyrics from The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot are in my head now
Beautiful tune, borrowed for 'Back home in Derry'
[youtube]C7UWm5nXXqQ[/youtube]
https://www.wordsinthebucket.com/back-h ... obby-sands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

"No Deal Brexit may be unlawful — a view from Rose Slowe"
https://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2019/03/1 ... slowe/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In conclusion, if the UK is unable to leave the EU in a constitutionally compliant manner by 29 March 2019, as in by an Act of Parliament, then we cannot lawfully withdraw. If an extension of time is not agreed by the EU, or as and when that extension expires, the UK’s Article 50 notice will lapse as a matter of national and supranational law, if not unilaterally withdrawn. A no-deal Brexit in the absence of parliamentary approval is, therefore, not the legal default.
I hope she's right. (convinced me, fwiw..)