Friday 29th March 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 29th March 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Rosie Cooper = FOR
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

I can keep singing then
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Does this mean we now have the ERG and the Provisional ERG?
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lost Soul wrote:I can keep singing then
Sing; never stop
:heart:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Dare I say it Labour looking remarkably unified. Good to see :-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... nsupported" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More than 1m childless people over 65 are 'dangerously unsupported'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"lock 'em up"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Usual arse about face thinking and as ever burdensome.There is no connection or obvious consequence on the self fulfilling narrative
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"health behaviours"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I still don't think that a General Election will solve anything - aside from getting rid of the Conservative Government. And there are no guarantees that that would happen.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, my mistake in forgetting there was another Cooper in the PLP. Though amusingly enough, Rosie is a former LibDem!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As previous are the people as burden propagandists willing to do the decent thing?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And to think that Raab was being given serious consideration as the next Tory leader...
James Felton

Verified account

@JimMFelton
4h4 hours ago
More
Dominic Raab resigned in protest against a deal he helped negotiate, said it was "worse than staying in the EU" and is now going to vote for it, all within 4 months, but remember the public has to stick to a decision they made 3yrs ago without knowing what the deal actually was.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:I still don't think that a General Election will solve anything - aside from getting rid of the Conservative Government. And there are no guarantees that that would happen.
It might not, but it could if Labour forms a fairly comfortable administration (which they may not even need an actual overall majority for)

And there is indeed no guarantee of that, but that holds true of the next GE whenever it is held (or indeed any other)

Its time to think that we could actually do better :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I still don't think that a General Election will solve anything - aside from getting rid of the Conservative Government. And there are no guarantees that that would happen.
It might not, but it could if Labour forms a fairly comfortable administration (which they may not even need an actual overall majority for)

And there is indeed no guarantee of that, but that holds true of the next GE whenever it is held (or indeed any other)

But in this instance, a General Election is being floated as a solution to one specific problem - ie "Brexit".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tories stuck together pretty well. Only 34 voted against and most of them peculiar. Ken Clarke voted for May's thing. Don't nobody look at him with hope; same true for the rest of his party.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And the result I suggested above could provide a solution, even if that was not to everybody's liking.

There are no guarantees of it, but what else now - continue in the present stalemate with the delusional madwoman in charge?

Even a lengthy extension to A50 (which probably should happen) doesn't solve anything in itself......
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Fri 29 Mar, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

But in this instance, a General Election is being floated as a solution to one specific problem - ie "Brexit".
yep, that's why the bulk of the Tory party voted the way they did.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In times of constipation an enema is the recommended course of action.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:As previous are the people as burden propagandists willing to do the decent thing?
No. Why would they?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Tories stuck together pretty well. Only 34 voted against and most of them peculiar. Ken Clarke voted for May's thing. Don't nobody look at him with hope; same true for the rest of his party.
Yes, but this was after May used every possible trick to maximise her vote. She can't play the resignation gambit again, or the "WA only" one.

As long as the DUP stick to their line (and that is the one thing they are genuinely good at) and Labour MPs hold firm, there is no path to a majority for her - most of the remaining 34 are the irreconcilables on both wings. And it is reported Tory whips thought they would only lose by about 20 ;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From AS...
This is what Chris Grayling, the Brexiter transport secretary, told the BBC about the result.

What the house has just done is to vote effectively to leave this country either leaving the EU on April 12 with no deal, reversing Brexit or kicking it into the far long grass.

I don’t think that’s what the majority in this country wants. We are going to have to think very hard over the next few hours how we respond to that. This is a hugely disappointing response that is absolutely not in the national interest.
Because of course the Government has never done that in this whole process has it?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:In times of constipation an enema is the recommended course of action.
that's an appropriate revolution for these times for sure
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

May actually delayed the vote when it was due before Christmas because she knew she would lose heavily.

Its been a crude attempt at blackmail all along - "my deal or no deal".

It deserves to fail.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Tories stuck together pretty well. Only 34 voted against and most of them peculiar. Ken Clarke voted for May's thing. Don't nobody look at him with hope; same true for the rest of his party.
Yes, but this was after May used every possible trick to maximise her vote. She can't play the resignation gambit again, or the "WA only" one.

As long as the DUP stick to their line (and that is the one thing they are genuinely good at) and Labour MPs hold firm, there is no path to a majority for her - most of the remaining 34 are the irreconcilables on both wings. And it is reported Tory whips thought they would only lose by about 20 ;)
We're all still trapped on board May's ship
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:May actually delayed the vote when it was due before Christmas because she knew she would lose heavily.

Its been a crude attempt at blackmail all along - "my deal or no deal".

It deserves to fail.
(cJA bold)
Yes, but it won't be easy. Look at what we're up against. May is a single-minded person. She lives to further a Tory future and she'll do whatever she can preventing a Labour government.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:From AS...
This is what Chris Grayling, the Brexiter transport secretary, told the BBC about the result.

What the house has just done is to vote effectively to leave this country either leaving the EU on April 12 with no deal, reversing Brexit or kicking it into the far long grass.

I don’t think that’s what the majority in this country wants. We are going to have to think very hard over the next few hours how we respond to that. This is a hugely disappointing response that is absolutely not in the national interest.
Because of course the Government has never done that in this whole process has it?
That's all this government have done during the whole process.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If there is,perhaps an opportunity to unblock the obsessive diversion and free discussion otherwise,(or not)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please know I'm glad May's thing failed. May's Tory party is still leadership and their failures can cause regular people a world of hurt. I want people who've done nothing to deserve Tory failure fallout protected, that's all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well this is interesting...
Nicholas Watt
‏@nicholaswatt
Follow Follow @nicholaswatt
More
Nigel Dodds tells me the UK should stay in the EU if that was only way to preserve NI’s place in UK. ‘I would stay in the European Union and remain rather than risk Northern Ireland’s position. That’s how strongly I feel about the union.’

4:53 PM - 29 Mar 2019
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

bastards
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Earlier, I heard an interview with Nigel Dodds in which I thought I understood him to be suggesting that staying in the EU could be the best way of preserving the Union. I thought about it, then assumed I must have misunderstood (I was half-asleep when he was speaking). However, I've just heard a commentator on the news reporting on it. This time I was fully awake.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Earlier, I heard an interview with Nigel Dodds in which I thought I understood him to be suggesting that staying in the EU could be the best way of preserving the Union. I thought about it, then assumed I must have misunderstood (I was half-asleep when he was speaking). However, I've just heard a commentator on the news reporting on it. This time I was fully awake.
Has Dodds only lately been made aware of his party's Leave campaigning and Brexit's implications for the union he claims to love?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I am rarely right but I have been with the DUP.

It's quite simple. They stand for the Union. They have essentially no other coherent policy. Foster has played a blinder. She got cash for the Union and now it's threatened she's against.

I would predict the DUP to do well in any forthcoming elections.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well this is interesting...
Nicholas Watt
‏@nicholaswatt
More
Nigel Dodds tells me the UK should stay in the EU if that was only way to preserve NI’s place in UK. ‘I would stay in the European Union and remain rather than risk Northern Ireland’s position. That’s how strongly I feel about the union.’

I remember reading somewhere that only some of the DUP are really hardcore Eurosceptic. They never expected to be kingmakers in a Brexit election when they adopted their hard Brexit stance. I suspect it would have always suited them to talk the Eurosceptic talk while regrettably being forced to accept a majority in favour of a soft Brexit. They might even be relieved to put it back to the public and end up remaining after all. I just can't see how a hard Brexit was ever going to work out for them in the long run. Whether there's a border in Ireland or the Irish Sea, it seems inevitable it will increase support for an eventual unified Ireland.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

'K U

(Change UK)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Willow904

Thanks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I am rarely right but I have been with the DUP.

It's quite simple. They stand for the Union. They have essentially no other coherent policy. Foster has played a blinder. She got cash for the Union and now it's threatened she's against.

"The whole of L***'s behaviour in the affair, and the prosperity which crowned it, therefore, may be held forth as a most encouraging instance of what an earnest, an unceasing attention to self-interest, however its progress may be apparently obstructed, will do in securing every advantage of fortune, with no other sacrifice than that of time and conscience."
http://www.mollands.net/etexts/senseand ... sns50.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I am rarely right but I have been with the DUP.

That's more or less what Nigel Dodds said (now that I know that I didn't dream it). Except the bit about the cash, of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm zonked,which isn't used nearly enough.A marathon bed session awaits.

Titter ye not.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In Westminster, where rival pro-Brexit rallies are taking place, the rhetoric is taking an aggressive and somewhat troubling turn, as my colleague Ben Quinn reports:

Ben Quinn

@BenQuinn75

Speaker - ‘a veteran’ - at the UKIP event now recalling execution of Charles I.
‘We are a peaceful movement but our weapon is the vote. You will vote for the executioner’s axe ‘
5:42 PM - Mar 29, 2019 · Parliament Square (Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well this is interesting...
Nicholas Watt
‏@nicholaswatt
More

Whoops! Sorry - told you I'd been lying down, half-asleep and cogitating!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/suppo ... s-toilets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I do like Brian Moore...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Apologies for the language, but this is brilliant:
sweary.PNG
sweary.PNG (288.39 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
https://twitter.com/BercowSweary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Two local council byelections yesterday:

Sutton - LibDem hold in a ward where they have held all three seats in every election since 2002, though the Tories have often been competitive and the result last year was the safest LibDem victory in recent times. It was slightly closer now as they dropped around 8 points to under 40%, though the Tories were little changed on the last two polls - an ex-LibDem Independent candidate may be more responsible for the drop as they polled 14%, finishing ahead of Labour who were clearly down on their 2018 showing (but little changed on 4 years earlier) Greens on 6%, also down but ahead of UKIP who edged up slightly to around 4% - but they were still down on their 2014 third placed showing. Christian People's Alliance made one of their occasional electoral forays, but got less than 1%.

Clackmannanshire - SNP hold in a small division (in a notably small local authority) that split 1Lab/1Nat/1C in 2017 (after going 2Lab/1Nat in 2012 and 2007) with around 40% which was only slightly up on last time, but given an 8 point drop in Labour's first preference share since then it was enough to give them a win even after transfers. Tories up a few points to almost 20%, continuing their recent strong showing north of the border - whilst UKIP polled over 3% which is actually one of their better Scottish byelection performances and took them above the Greens who roughly halved on two years ago. LibDems had their first showing here since the introduction of STV, but less than 2% to show for it.

Just the one contest to begin April.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

In other news...

Interesting timing...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Cheers everyone.

Here's to still being an EU citizen on Brexit day.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm not looking forward to the possible "No Deal", though.

Edited to add -

PTO
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 29 Mar, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.