Monday 1st April 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 1st April 2019

Post by citizenJA »

page three
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:What's going on Wednesday?
turning the page now
May will announce that it's her deal or leaving without a withdrawal agreement. Those on the opposition benches who voted against other solutions tonight have gifted that very strong tactical position to her - have chosen to very deliberately gift that very strong tactical position to her. Her nutcases shrill that it isn't leaving. The DUP say 'we're easy, no worries, we'll just go with the flow' 'NEVER!' and everyone else will have to chose between her deal and no deal. The tory succession will be measuring the country up for lots more lovely austerity / bonfire of regulations / cuts to enforcement and oversight and so on.

There's a good argument that if May's deal can come back time and time again then so can the solutions rejected last week and tonight, but I'd be surprised if they were successful with that argument.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

At no point in this entire farce have I ever been afraid of leaving without a deal, but as of tonight I am.

The one positive from this debacle is it makes May's withdrawal agreement even more dead than it was before as this will embolden the brexiters, but the obvious problem is that while the EU might want to offer us a long extension to sort this shit out we'll have absolutely nothing to offer them.

So there's a chance, however small, that they'll tell us just to fuck off in 27 different languages.

And that didn't exist before.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Watching Richard Burgon on Newsnight I found myself wondering once again how a man with the apparent cerebral acuteness of a packet of economy noodles could be a shadow minister.

Then we had Ann Widdecombe looking and sounding like a shit Star Wars monster in a wig.

I'm thinking a guest at Jabba's Palace.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Shiv Malik

Verified account

@shivmalik
Follow Follow @shivmalik
More
Wow. MP Mark Francois, whilst being interviewed on BBC R4 just said his message to Phillip Hammond was “Up Yours”.

10:27 PM - 1 Apr 2019
:roll:

Francois is just an oaf.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Umunna
The logical thing in this circumstance would be to put the prospect of leaving the EU with a customs union to the British people in a People’s Vote with the option to remain.
Jesus fucking christ, he actually just said that. After voting against the CU proposal.

If I was feeling charitable and nice, and I'm not, I would suggest that TIG and the LibDems are just utterly stupid, way beyond politically naive. Because it's completely obvious that the entire point of having an indicative vote in this way, over two rounds, was not to allow parliament to indicate to the government what they wanted, because the government have been very clear that they don't care what parliament wants. The point was to indicate to the opposition parties where consensus might lie. Obviously. Completely obviously.

And if the CU proposal had passed, then there would be a very strong argument that the next stage should be the WA against the WA with a significantly beefed up political declaration that would bind the UK into that in a way that dealt with the Irish border.

TIG have just voted against exactly - exactly - what Umunna says is the logical way forward.

I'm not feeling charitable, they're just fucking wreckers.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Joanna Cherry
I don’t know why they whipped against because when I spoke to Keir Starmer he was unable to give any kind of coherent explanation. I know many people suspect it’s because because Labour couldn’t bring themselves to vote for a motion in the name of someone from the SNP.
Did they whip against? 121 labour MPs voted for her motion, 18 against - the usual suspects who have been voting with the government on all of these.. More labour MPs defied the clear whip on SM2.0 If they whipped against it it was the most appalling failure of party discipline.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok let me just try to calm the fuck down here and work this out.

So what we're left with is...

A: Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement - Now even less likely to pass due to emboldened brexiters.

B: No Deal - Now somewhat more likely due to our inability to sort our shit out and offer the EU something in return for an extension to article 50.

C: A General Election - Still rather unlikely as the Tories would have to vote in sufficient numbers for suicide*.

D: A further round of indicative votes - Perhaps it's just a drunk knee jerk reaction but no...right now just no.

E: Ming the Merciless turns up in the nick of time and destroys the entire planet saving us further embarrassment.

[youtube]_QC7uMo1uPQ[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Forgot about the *.

The Tories are absolutely shitting themselves about an election, the right wing press at the weekend was offering them apocalyptic warnings and for good reason.

Can you imagine what would happen if they were led into it by Theresa May?

They've got a living dead leader and absolutely nothing to put in a manifesto while their party, despite this evening's show of idiot intransigence is at war with itself.

I'm no fan of Mr Corbyn but that's an open goal.

Labour would have the luxury and perhaps even wit not to make it about brexit but about housing and social care and the NHS and low wages and social security...the list is endless.

Which is why I reckon enough Tory Nps would oppose May calling an election.

They're shit scared.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

48 years on this planet.

And what have I learned?

That you have to remain curious and some of the most complex sounding things are actually quite simple to understand.

I hand you over to my hero Jim Al-Khalili.

[youtube]A9tKncAdlHQ[/youtube]