Tuesday 2nd April 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 2nd April 2019

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And another one...
Mark Wallace

Verified account

@wallaceme
Follow Follow @wallaceme
More
May has said for years that Corbyn is wrongheaded, misguided, not to be trusted with power, and even dangerous to this country. She was right then, not now.

7:31 PM - 2 Apr 2019
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Can't Corbyn say well here are three proposals I've already voted for in Parliament - if your Cabinet votes yes to any of them they are home and dry?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Can't Corbyn say well here are three proposals I've already voted for in Parliament - if your Cabinet votes yes to any of them they are home and dry?
I should think so
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Can anyone reassure me that JC won't talk to TM without KS?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Can anyone reassure me that JC won't talk to TM without KS?
I think he will. There's no reason he shouldn't.
Corbyn has told the Press Association:

"We will meet the prime minister. We recognise that she has made a move; I recognise my responsibility to represent the people that supported Labour in the last election and the people who didn’t support Labour but nevertheless want certainty and security for their own future, and that’s the basis on which we will meet her and we will have those discussions."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:Can anyone reassure me that JC won't talk to TM without KS?

I was just thinking that.

"Speak to my lawyer!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is there no Mark Francois quote on these developments?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good evening all

Momentous and interesting times....who knows what will happen

Saw Gove on Sky earlier - he looked death warmed up and the Brexiteers are fizzing

Not sure how this will end up and many risks for Labour but if you want to influence the outcome then you have to take risks. This all started with the indicative votes so a big thanks to Letwin et al, and it is a shame one or two didn't get to pass last night just to squeeze the PM further (thanks LD and TIGs for that)

If we go back to Summer 2016, who would have thought we would be here? Labour going from coup, a leader who could never win, estimates of less than 200 seats and having no influence at all to a Tory Party in a minority, tearing themselves apart and the PM dependent on Labour support to get through to the next phase.

I concur with above that KS needs to be around and things are not necessarily nailed on but Labour have more influence now than they had before and an opportunity to make a difference. Corbyn could still mess it up but you have to be in it to win it!

The TIG, Lucas and LD have not covered themselves in glory this week with (what I see as) their mistakes in the voting yesterday - Norman Lamb is clearly not a happy bunny and the TIG just make themselves look ridiculous - look at Soubry extolling Boles after voting against CM 2.0.

He may not be the best leader Labour has ever had but surely he is not the disaster we continually hear - remember that Smith and Blair never managed to bring down the very weak Major Government after Black Wednesday and Maastricht....that Government lasted 5 years.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Boris Johnson has told the BBC that people want politicians in Westminster “not to focus on themselves, but to focus on the needs of the country”.
:D

If there's one person...well, you know the rest.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Is there no Mark Francois quote on these developments?
Not to my knowledge. Has he been seen or heard today?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
Goodnight, PorFavor
I'll be heading off to sleep soon too. I'm exhausted, not been sleeping well and nearby neighbours giving us no end of trouble.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

What on earth were they talking about for all that time for her to just come out with this?

If her plan is to actually listen, and to move, then I can understand why she would want to be sure that the opposition will actually move with her before she breaks her party and gives her successor a general election to fight, I suppose.

It's worth remembering that the WA itself, whilst it is an inevitably nonsensicle product of a nonsensicle process, isn't a terrible document - if we're leaving then these things are going to follow and this is how it is (with thanks to Willow who has been making this point for a while). What these talks need to do is firm up the Political Declaration so that we clearly commit to something that will obviate the need for the NI backstop without breaking up the UK. Do that - give the DUP that bone, with the end of the process in sight, and they might well decide that a much softer exit is worth the price of maintaining the current integrity of the union too.

What Labour can't do - what all of the opposition can't do - is accept anything that isn't mandatory about the future relationship.

And what could be interesting is an agreement that would break up the tories, which would lead to an election, with a significant tory/ukip/etc loose (or even mor formal) coalition fighing it, which would allow labour to say to the electorate 'this question is resolved - do you really want to go through all of that again'.

My fear is that she's basically doing what she did before - she doesn't want to reach an agreement with others, she wants others to agree with her. We'll see.
I still believe in a town called Hope