Friday 5th April 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 5th April 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 5th April 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Labour hold Newport West on a low turn out. As foretold by PF's weather report I guess.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Confused Benn nadir jerk says May is dishonest and Geoffrey Cox is wrong (7,6).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ct-reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazon shoppers misled by 'bundled' star-ratings and reviews
From being mostly indifferent, I am coming to despise online shopping, not least because of the impact it's having on traditional shops and the reduction in availability of a wide range of products locally.

I've definitely noticed it's getting harder to know what you're buying online, product descriptions are getting vaguer with less info. Clothes are often listed without details of what they're made of, completely useless if you're allergic to some materials.

And yes, the Amazon ratings system is now completely unusable with comments about completely different products and suppliers all muddled together.

My husband is currently trying to fix the electric windows on his car with bits sourced from Amazon but there are so many almost identical parts with no way to tell which is the right one and when it doesn't work you don't know if you bought the bit for the back windows by mistake or if you've been sold a dud. And suddenly you're really missing the car parts shop that used to be just down the road who knew everything about fixing cars and could get you any part you needed.....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

May is asking Tusk for an extension to 30 June but hoping it can be sooner to avoid having Euro elections.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ct-reviews
Amazon shoppers misled by 'bundled' star-ratings and reviews
From being mostly indifferent, I am coming to despise online shopping, not least because of the impact it's having on traditional shops and the reduction in availability of a wide range of products locally.

I've definitely noticed it's getting harder to know what you're buying online, product descriptions are getting vaguer with less info. Clothes are often listed without details of what they're made of, completely useless if you're allergic to some materials.

And yes, the Amazon ratings system is now completely unusable with comments about completely different products and suppliers all muddled together.

My husband is currently trying to fix the electric windows on his car with bits sourced from Amazon but there are so many almost identical parts with no way to tell which is the right one and when it doesn't work you don't know if you bought the bit for the back windows by mistake or if you've been sold a dud. And suddenly you're really missing the car parts shop that used to be just down the road who knew everything about fixing cars and could get you any part you needed.....
Quite.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... d-half-ago" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Study found universal credit causing hardship a year and half ago
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 05 Apr, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... d-half-ago

Study found universal credit causing hardship a year and half ago

I am afraid I hold the agreers on principle with contempt,now thoroughly compromised.
Thankfully you persuaded me to stop being one of those ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have now edited,a knee jerk reaction,as I boringly state,one already existed ie. better off in work"and simplification isn't a good thing in itself.Contempt ,overstating due to frustration with seeming inability to engage brain as to how to obvious consequences of "support" not least in being now thoroughly compromised.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And those not expected to work,shouldn't be anywhere near it,employment support and eligibility to income should be completly separate,the former becomes the method of reducing /removing the latter.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"support"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Have now edited,a knee jerk reaction,as I boringly state,one already existed ie. better off in work"and simplification isn't a good thing in itself.Contempt ,overstating due to frustration with seeming inability to engage brain as to how to obvious consequences of "support" not least in being now thoroughly compromised.
Do you want me to edit my reply?

I guess if you haven't had experience or the time to reflect, then apparently simple solutions are always attractive.

It genuinely was you that convinced me that having tailored, bespoke support mechanisms for different sets of circumstances was both the right thing to do and the only one that's actually deliverable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Had my annual medical are you still alive thing,I am though 15kg less of me.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Had my annual medical are you still alive thing,I am though 15kg less of me.
I always remember a former boss from many years ago saying "I've just had my doctor's appointment. He says he wants to see less of me".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Better half lost 17Kg in a week and then put it on again.tge next(dependent if they remembered to discount weight of w/c)
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 05 Apr, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@pfy thanks for reply,just thought "contempt" was the wrong word.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Did anyone do QT last night?

Apparently Charles Moore proved that there is no Hard Border problem, because he can't find anyone who would actually want to put one there.

So, we just leave. And suddenly any goods the rogue state UK deem acceptable can be shipped into Belfast and on into the EU.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Excellent, with his caveat
A Just So (Awful) Story for Not-So-Little Children

(Warning: If you have never read the Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling, this will make no sense at all. Just like ... oh, you know.)
https://lustigletter.blogspot.com/2019/ ... ittle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Following discussion about Rachael Swindon recently, here is an example of what I think everyone appreciates!
Rachael Swindon #MustBeAMarxist
‏@Rachael_Swindon
45 seconds ago

Tory Mayor Andy Street’s West Midlands Combined Authority have admitted paying private consultants £810,000 over 2 years - but have refused to name them for ‘data protection’ reasons. This astonishing lack of transparency makes you wonder who it is they’re trying to protect.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Did anyone do QT last night?

Apparently Charles Moore proved that there is no Hard Border problem, because he can't find anyone who would actually want to put one there.

So, we just leave. And suddenly any goods the rogue state UK deem acceptable can be shipped into Belfast and on into the EU.
The only bit I saw was the good woman in the audience telling it like it is on youth crime, it's all over twitter so you'll be able to see it if you want.

David Lammy was a bit shouty.

I turned it off when Moore started droning on.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wren-Lewis latest.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... ainlyMacro+(mainly+macro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Not as interesting as his previous one, which I don't think we linked. I'd be interested to know what people here think about his hypothesis.
If the Tories lose an election before we leave, Brexit is unlikely to happen.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:

The only bit I saw was the good woman in the audience telling it like it is on youth crime, it's all over twitter so you'll be able to see it if you want.

David Lammy was a bit shouty.

I turned it off when Moore started droning on.
Does Sky have a rival for QT reviews? ;-)

Thanks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:Wren-Lewis latest.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... ainlyMacro+(mainly+macro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Not as interesting as his previous one, which I don't think we linked. I'd be interested to know what people here think about his hypothesis.
Interesting, but just too many hypotheticals to be worth thinking about for me!

What is quite clear is that a hypothetical incoming Labour government would have many higher priorities than Brexit.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I can't see an election which Labour might win happening, tbh, which makes it all rather academic. I saw a comment on twitter recently that suggested that rather than the EU referendum, the most damaging Cameron policy was actually the Fixed Term Parliament Act. I can certainly see their point. Although a large part of our problem is that our two-horse FPTP system is long past its use-by date. As close elections and hung parliaments become more common, we discover that not having constitutional structures in place to facilitate compromise, makes compromise very hard to achieve. A system based on forming strong majorities is hopeless when every issue is an evens split between two diametrically opposed ideas.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nicola Sturgeon
‏@NicolaSturgeon
How strange - isn’t this the same guy who said the UK had no power to do any of these things in the EU and that’s why we had to leave.
Jacob Rees-Mogg
@Jacob_Rees_Mogg
If a long extension leaves us stuck in the EU we should be as difficult as possible. We could veto any increase in the budget, obstruct the putative EU army and block Mr Macron’s integrationist schemes.
10:15 AM - 5 Apr 2019
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Does Sky have a rival for QT reviews? ;-)

Thanks!
I very rarely watch more than 2 mins, so definitely not. :)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:

I can't see an election which Labour might win happening, tbh, which makes it all rather academic. I saw a comment on twitter recently that suggested that rather than the EU referendum, the most damaging Cameron policy was actually the Fixed Term Parliament Act. I can certainly see their point. Although a large part of our problem is that our two-horse FPTP system is long past its use-by date. As close elections and hung parliaments become more common, we discover that not having constitutional structures in place to facilitate compromise, makes compromise very hard to achieve. A system based on forming strong majorities is hopeless when every issue is an evens split between two diametrically opposed ideas.
As I've said before, and I'm not wishing it, I suspect an early GE is only likely if something else happens. Events.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:I saw a comment on twitter recently that suggested that rather than the EU referendum, the most damaging Cameron policy was actually the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
That might have been me, here.

The day Corbyn and McDonnell get my whole-hearted support will be the day they announce a Constitution Commission and citizen's assemblies aimed at PR, elected second chamber, etc to finally drag us into the modern world. New Parliament building as well.
In my dreams.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@gilsey

Yes, indeed 'twas you.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote:I saw a comment on twitter recently that suggested that rather than the EU referendum, the most damaging Cameron policy was actually the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

The day Corbyn and McDonnell get my whole-hearted support will be the day they announce a Constitution Commission and citizen's assemblies aimed at PR, elected second chamber, etc to finally drag us into the modern world. New Parliament building as well.
In my dreams.
In 2015 we had a choice between a Tory EU referendum or a Labour constitutional convention. Apparently if 900 people had voted Labour rather than Tory in a number of marginal constituencies we would currently be discussing the latter. The little mentioned letter from David Cameron PM on government notepaper to every member of a number of those marginal constituencies hasn't been discussed a great deal since, for the simple reason that those of us in non-marginals didn't get one and so know nothing about it. Whether it had any effect or not on voting intention it was still a significant development that we have since seen escalate rapidly on social media - party political propaganda not properly covered by electoral commission rules, micro-targeted at individuals in a way that leaves political opponents unaware of, and therefore unable to counter, its content.

Labour are going to need a whopping majority, and at least two terms, to get to grips with the gargantuan task of reforming our electoral system. Brexit hinterland doesn't exactly present the best opportunity to do so, unfortunately. The 2015 GE set us on a path it's going to be hard to recover from.

Edited to add, yes it was probably here that I saw it. It shows I'm at least half paying attention, I guess!
Last edited by Willow904 on Fri 05 Apr, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote:

In my dreams.
One of the things that 'parliament is falling down' thing I posted yesterday was the idea of finding a different building that was (to use a term that I think is a useful one even if it risks becoming a bit of a cliché) -more fit for purpose. Churchill said 'We shape out buildings and then our buildings shape us' (also from that article) -there don't appear to be many 'parliaments' in the world that are as confrontationally organised as ours.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Capture15.PNG
Capture15.PNG (31.36 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Just in case Theresa May thought she could arm twist her MPs into supporting a snap GE.....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/c ... nt-living/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://labour.org.uk/press/john-mcdonn ... y-figures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Didn't watch, but Ash Sarkar was good, from what I've seen on Twitter
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... 1554464847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screen time has little effect on teenagers' wellbeing, says study
Researchers found screen use before bedtime to be unrelated to mental health problems
Constant testing in schools is known to have an adverse effect on mental health that the government would like to obscure by blaming a rise in use of technology instead, so this study is a useful reminder that there has always been a convenient bogie man (too much telly!) that is used to offload responsibility for everything that is wrong with society onto lazy (and predominantly poorer) parents.

As someone who frequently didn't get enough sleep as a teenager because I was reading into the small hours of the morning, I can confirm that social media is just the current preferred method for teenage sleep deprivation, not the cause!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Great post Willow!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Deranged toyboy gnu considers standing for the Brexit Party (4,5).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Remarkably Twitter has gone crazy for a speech made by Betty Boothroyd in January.

The most remarkable is the prominent #FBPE characters highlighting her reprise of Wilson saying the EEC wasn't a black and white issue without the slightest hint of self-awareness!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's freezing cold here
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Deranged toyboy gnu considers standing for the Brexit Party (4,5).

Talking of which...
peter foy

@peterfoys
2h2 hours ago
More
Toby Young to Mariana Mazzucato "your book is all about state intervention" Maraina Mazzucato "you haven't read my book" Toby Young "I read the press releases" The mans a fucking idiot #PoliticsLive
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote: Just in case Theresa May thought she could arm twist her MPs into supporting a snap GE.....
There is always the small pro-Tory swing in Newport, of course. Some pundits getting ridiculously overexcited by it.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Deranged toyboy gnu considers standing for the Brexit Party (4,5).

The gnu makes a cameo appearance!

You fiend, you . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Just in case Theresa May thought she could arm twist her MPs into supporting a snap GE.....
There is always the small pro-Tory swing in Newport, of course. Some pundits getting ridiculously overexcited by it.
:lol:
I read a couple and thought them overwrought
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
"Straws" and "clutching" spring to mind for some reason.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It was a byelection regarded as a foregone conclusion (even if the seat often hasn't been *that* safe for Labour) with truly epically appalling weather on polling day and a campaign dominated by Brexit. In those circumstances the result was at the lower end of expectations for Labour, but no more than that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"