Tuesday 9th April 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 9th April 2019

Post by citizenJA »

Faisal Islam
‏Verified account @faisalislam
Here is the full draft Emergency summit conclusions:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The UK must participate in the EU elections, remains a full participating member within the EU and can revoke Article 50 at any time. All this and more within the EU draft posted above.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

One thing I'd like to hear more about is the claims about EU tax rules and how leaving the EU would help wealthy Tory donors retain their advantageous tax arrangements.

Is there any truth in this?

Because if there is and it's now too late, the same donors might feel Remain is in their best interests.

But I know nothing about this.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Maybe I should ask the Taxpayers' Alliance. They'd know wouldn't they? :twisted:

On which did anyone else see Adam Boulton asking Chloe Westley who funds her? :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Donald Tusk - awesome. Shame he's a faceless, unelected bureaucrat.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pres ... pril-2019/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

invitation-letter-by-president-donald-tusk-to-the-members-of-the-european-council-art-50-ahead-of-their-special-meeting-on-10-april-2019
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... f7925c1c18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

may-hopes-of-brexit-deal-with-labour-dashed-after-talks-break-up-without-agreement

So the sequence fails at the first hurdle. :roll:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Maybe I should ask the Taxpayers' Alliance. They'd know wouldn't they? :twisted:

On which did anyone else see Adam Boulton asking Chloe Westley who funds her? :lol:

Yes - needless to say, she failed to give a satisfactory answer. I felt that she was allowed to get away with it - although I appreciate that there were other questions on the agenda.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Donald Tusk - awesome. Shame he's a faceless, unelected bureaucrat.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pres ... pril-2019/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

invitation-letter-by-president-donald-tusk-to-the-members-of-the-european-council-art-50-ahead-of-their-special-meeting-on-10-april-2019

Goodness me, there's a grownup involved !
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Lost Soul wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Donald Tusk - awesome. Shame he's a faceless, unelected bureaucrat.

Goodness me, there's a grownup involved !
Quite
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:One thing I'd like to hear more about is the claims about EU tax rules and how leaving the EU would help wealthy Tory donors retain their advantageous tax arrangements.

Is there any truth in this?

Because if there is and it's now too late, the same donors might feel Remain is in their best interests.

But I know nothing about this.
I'm not sure about this either. The EU is moving generally towards more transparency and tax compliance but I can't find anything specific about this date related to individual wealthy taxpayers. We've been stalling and vetoing on anything to do with tax haven transparency, but an incoming Labour government would be a more urgent danger in this area than the EU I think. There's the new Anti Tax Avoidance Directive, coming in from Jan of this year, but that's about corporation tax not individuals. And whenever we leave the EU it would stop applying (if we get round to bringing it in). I can't find anything related to April 2019 and individuals tax arrangements which would cause them permanent discomfort if we fail to leave on time, yet I do remember people discussing something like this.

I also remember people saying after a certain date we would no longer be able to use article 50 to leave but I'm not sure where that came from either.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thanks Willow
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
I also remember people saying after a certain date we would no longer be able to use article 50 to leave but I'm not sure where that came from either.
(cJA edit)
Yeah, information lately has a lot of shifts from definite to flexible.
Without knowing what legitimate mechanisms are being used, without knowing the rules of this game, I can't determine what's good from not good.

According to the Faisal Islam tweet containing the full draft Emergency summit conclusions:
The European Council notes that, during the extension, the United Kingdom will remain a Member State with full rights and obligations in accordance with Article 50 TEU, and that the United Kingdom has a right to revoke its notification at any time.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... f7925c1c18

may-hopes-of-brexit-deal-with-labour-dashed-after-talks-break-up-without-agreement

So the sequence fails at the first hurdle. :roll:
All the usual suspects screaming "Labour are about to enable a TORY BREXIT!!" were wide of the mark then?

Who knew.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"