Monday 13th May 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 13th May 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 13th May 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

The response to the latest Starmer utterances is just so typical.

Keir Starmer says "A significant number of Labour MPs, probably 120 if not 150, would not back a deal if it hasn’t got a confirmatory vote."

It seems this is simply his assessment of the situation, but of course it gets rewritten to support whatever view a particular individual has :roll:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

A fairly obvious way forward for Labour assuming May continues to not shift is to say "well we tried to find a compromise solution, but she won't compromise, so we will vote for her deal, but only if it has a confirmatory referendum attached". I assume that the 120-150 he's thinking about would expect that to be confirmatory vs. Remain.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A fairly obvious way forward for Labour assuming May continues to not shift is to say "well we tried to find a compromise solution, but she won't compromise, so we will vote for her deal, but only if it has a confirmatory referendum attached". I assume that the 120-150 he's thinking about would expect that to be confirmatory vs. Remain.
Especially because other than the detail of what a further referendum would say, this is the only possible outcome from where we are now. The conservatives are not going to give labour what they want, and there is functionally no possibility at all that there will be a general election any time soon. You're left with a further referendum - to all intents and purposes, once you eliminate the impossible, this is Labour's policy.

The longer term issue, if things are not resolved to the satisfaction of the euro extremists and the Brexit Party hang around, is probably awful news for the conservatives and much better news for labour - because it's the tories who appear to be taking the significant polling damage from them and in a general election you might see a lot of seats won with winning vote shares in the low 30s% and a lot of tories losing seats to centre left parties as 'their' vote splits with Farage. He says, hopefully.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Unexpectedly busy morning checking SATs admin at school - a call just before 8am roused me earlier than I'd planned...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Labour should at the very least knock these pointless "talks" with the government on the head IMO.

At the moment, all they are doing is enable pro-Remain parties to scaremonger about Corbyn "doing a shabby deal" with May.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Labour should at the very least knock these pointless "talks" with the government on the head IMO.

At the moment, all they are doing is enable pro-Remain parties to scaremonger about Corbyn "doing a shabby deal" with May.
It is interesting, if you look below the line at the guardian, that the dominant message by far of what's going on is that it's all Labour's fault. I know a lot of this is people commenting with their own agendas but you really would think that Labour were the heart of the leave campaign and the heart of all that's happened since. You'd also think that the vote to leave never happened.

I'm not terribly impressed with how Labour have done what they've done since the referendum but I do think that they have properly confronted the fact (with a capital 'F' if you like) that whatever you think about the conduct of the referendum there was a vote to leave, and that whatever they have done is rooted in this very unhappy and uncomfortable but nevertheless very significant fact. Shouting 'it was unfair, it shouldn't count' is every bit as easy as shouting 'WTO' or 'Brexit Means Brexit'.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think we are steadily moving towards another vote on Brexit, but the point is that was only ever going to be doable once we had run out of other options.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Received an "election communication" from the Brexit party with our full names and address
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tame, clean pagination and innocuous looking
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Electoral register.Have (again) requested zero communication from the lower than vermin party.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Politely as to reasons why
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Electoral register,party's have access to them.
It's a legitimate political party? Brexit party?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The irony of wanting my vote when propagandising I shouldn't be here but containerised in more suitable non existing unsuitable away from polite Society.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Post code lottery in support for those experiencing domestic violence"
Safe rooms deemed spare,inclusion in benefit cap etc
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Electoral register.Have (again) requested zero communication from the lower than vermin party.
Don't you get at least some satisfaction from chucking their stuff straight in the bin?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
HindleA wrote:Electoral register.Have (again) requested zero communication from the lower than vermin party.
Don't you get at least some satisfaction from chucking their stuff straight in the bin?
Returning to sender. Considering wrapping it around a brick before doing so.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Mind you, the Tories don't seem to be even bothering to send stuff to most people this time.

Have to see I have seen better Labour stuff than the leaflet for these elections too :|
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Leafletting in town on Saturday (me - greying hair, green coat). Got sidelined by a nutter and had to be rescued by one of the others (not 'rescued' in a dramatic way, rescued in a 'they need you on the stall' way - he would not stop talking. "Can I just pay my labour membership fees to Jeremy Corbyn. Why doesn't Gordon Brown come and stand as the Labour candidate here. If we get rid of trident and then China invade what would we do?')
D6XbeUbW4AAjNKQ.jpg
D6XbeUbW4AAjNKQ.jpg (91.65 KiB) Viewed 3437 times