FlyTheNest
http://flythenest.org/

Friday 17th May 2019
http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020
Page 1 of 1

Author:  refitman [ Fri 17 May, 2019 6:02 am ]
Post subject:  Friday 17th May 2019

Morning all.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 17 May, 2019 6:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Re Euro election leaflets,only one I have had was from the Tories.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 17 May, 2019 7:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... vertorials

A cross-party group of MPs have written to Amber Rudd, the work and pensions secretary, demanding more details of a reported £250,000 “unbranded” PR campaign to promote universal credit.

The work and pensions select committee is also concerned about reports that some jobcentre staff wrongly advise benefit claimants to switch from legacy benefits to universal credit even when in some cases they will be left hundreds of pounds worse off as a result.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 17 May, 2019 7:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

"wrongly"

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 8:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Good morfternoon.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to make a statement in the next hour on the "Brexit" talks, according to Sky TV news.

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PorFavor wrote:
Good morfternoon.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to make a statement in the next hour on the "Brexit" talks, according to Sky TV news.

And?

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Sorry that sounded a bit rude!

The talks are off mainly on the grounds that positions discussed in the room are then openly contradicted by senior cabinet ministers in public.

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 9:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Good morfternoon.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to make a statement in the next hour on the "Brexit" talks, according to Sky TV news.

And?


Google it!

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Sorry that sounded a bit rude!

The talks are off mainly on the grounds that positions discussed in the room are then openly contradicted by senior cabinet ministers in public.


Jeremy Corbyn's letter to Theresa May is now reproduced over at Politics Live (Guardian).

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Sorry that sounded a bit rude!


Be assured that I didn't take it that way. In fact, I thought it "interesting" . . .

Author:  Bonnylad [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

https://twitter.com/pencreed/status/1129323647766806531

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

I'm on holiday from avoiding work,catching up householdy things.May even get the oven functioning ,even though it has only been three years.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Never had a cooker or fridge in my first flat but Axminster carpet ;priorities.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

"wherever I lay my Axminster that's my home"

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

So whatever happened to this "cynical May-Corbyn stitch up" so many were screaming about after the local elections? :?:

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Oh, look! Nigel Farage is on TV. Haven't seen much of him, lately.

Author:  HindleA [ Fri 17 May, 2019 10:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Who?

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 11:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Theresa May is currently addressing Conservative activists in Bristol. Very strange affair.

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 17 May, 2019 11:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PorFavor wrote:
Theresa May is currently addressing Conservative activists in Bristol. Very strange affair.


A few Tory constituency parties have held "informal" no-confidence votes in her premiership, which have passed comfortably.

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 2:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Apparently May's deal will have "some new features".

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 2:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

A couple of sidestops to complement the backstop?

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 17 May, 2019 3:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

That picture of the Tory "campaign launch*" - I have genuinely seen happier funerals.

(*with less than a week to go??)

Author:  RogerOThornhill [ Fri 17 May, 2019 3:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

From Politics Live

Quote:
Lord Heseltine, the pro-European former Conservative deputy prime minister, was also on the programme and he said Dorries’ claim was ridiculous. He said:

Boris was foreign secretary for a year at the head, at the front, of the European inter-relationship. Are you seriously telling me that these ideas he has were not tried, tested and rejected? It’s ridiculous.

Theresa May has her critics, but what you cannot deny is that when she became prime minister, she put in charge of the negotiations three leading Brexiteers. And they cocked it up. And the only way she could make progress was to do what traditionally prime ministers do, hand it over to the civil servants to try and bring professionalism to our activity.

It hasn’t got her anywhere because there is no majority for Brexit in parliament or, in my view, in the county. So the only solution now is to go back to the country and confront them with the reality of the delusions with which they were confronted at the time of the first referendum.


Can't argue with that.

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Groan award for this dreadful piece

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -candidate

Author:  AnatolyKasparov [ Fri 17 May, 2019 4:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Regret to say that Crace is way off beam today as well.

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 4:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Apparently May's deal will have "some new features".


A "feature fireplace"? After all, Gavin Williamson might be feeling the pinch these days.

Speaking of matters monetary, is there something to be had by hanging on as PM until July (three years in office)? I don't know how these things work. I realise that the Mays are loaded, but they strike me as, well, tight.

Author:  PorFavor [ Fri 17 May, 2019 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:


That was dreadful. Really tacky.

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 4:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Apparently May's deal will have "some new features".


A "feature fireplace"? After all, Gavin Williamson might be feeling the pinch these days.

Speaking of matters monetary, is there something to be had by hanging on as PM until July (three years in office)? I don't know how these things work. I realise that the Mays are loaded, but they strike me as, well, tight.


Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 4:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:


That was dreadful. Really tacky.

Quite. I feel bad about sharing it actually!

Author:  Willow904 [ Fri 17 May, 2019 6:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

https://www.ft.com/content/4b1cc60e-76a ... ae036b0dee

Quote:
Sex strike? Not sure I’m pro that choice
Alyssa Milano’s initiative is laudable but no substitute for real political action


Interesting how a male journalist's reaction to Alyssa Milano's not so serious suggestion differs rather considerably from mine. He reads it as a withholding of sexual favours in order to try to persuade men to back abortion rights. Yet I read it more as, in the absence of a right to an abortion, pretty much the only way a fertile woman of child bearing age can be certain to avoid an unwanted pregnancy given how no form of contraception is 100% safe. I may be wrong, but rather than some strange form of political protest, Milano's suggestion to me seemed to be the perfect way to draw attention to how abolishing abortion could have consequences not just for women but also for men. Far from an extreme form of feminism, a policy of better safe than sorry seems like the natural and pragmatic response to strict abortion laws. I'm sure all those who vote for it will be delighted with the Brave New World they've created where the only time anyone ever has sex is when they are actively trying to become parents! I mean, I know that's not ever going to happen but in a world where people get what they deserve it certainly should and that, for me, is the point this article appears to be rather spectacularly missing!

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 7:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

Willow904 wrote:
https://www.ft.com/content/4b1cc60e-76a3-11e9-be7d-6d846537acab?segmentId=5b3cb929-a23e-88ae-662f-4cae036b0dee

Quote:
Sex strike? Not sure I’m pro that choice
Alyssa Milano’s initiative is laudable but no substitute for real political action


Interesting how a male journalist's reaction to Alyssa Milano's not so serious suggestion differs rather considerably from mine. He reads it as a withholding of sexual favours in order to try to persuade men to back abortion rights. Yet I read it more as, in the absence of a right to an abortion, pretty much the only way a fertile woman of child bearing age can be certain to avoid an unwanted pregnancy given how no form of contraception is 100% safe. I may be wrong, but rather than some strange form of political protest, Milano's suggestion to me seemed to be the perfect way to draw attention to how abolishing abortion could have consequences not just for women but also for men. Far from an extreme form of feminism, a policy of better safe than sorry seems like the natural and pragmatic response to strict abortion laws. I'm sure all those who vote for it will be delighted with the Brave New World they've created where the only time anyone ever has sex is when they are actively trying to become parents! I mean, I know that's not ever going to happen but in a world where people get what they deserve it certainly should and that, for me, is the point this article appears to be rather spectacularly missing!

Great post.

Author:  PaulfromYorkshire [ Fri 17 May, 2019 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Friday 17th May 2019

So May's latest tactics seem to be vote No (to her deal) get Boris.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/