Thursday 6th June 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Thursday 6th June 2019

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/MYx8zC ... is_in_care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why have we forgotten the excellent mutually beneficiary in human and economic terms of independent living ?

I see no prospect of sensible discussion or way forward if the intransigent doom laden warped narrative retains.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 6th June 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I found these images very moving.

How readily we are throwing away our freedoms and sliding back towards the horrors of 75 years ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/d ... 3eda958bb3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/ ... -economics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Ford is to close its branch in Bridgend, South Wales, in 2020. 1,700 jobs to go.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Thanks for sharing this, it's a really good article. It may seem like it's so obvious it's not worth stating, but it really helps to remind yourself from time to time that in order to reduce inequality you first need to make reducing inequality your aim, something that is no longer the case among many politicians and political commentators in the UK these days. We have to go back to basics, alas.

This, ultimately, is the bald truth:
One reply to this challenge points to the evidence on the rich leaving their home country to move to a lower tax jurisdiction: in fact, very few of them do. But here is a more ambitious reply from Warren Buffett: “Imagine there are two identical twins in the womb … And the genie says to them: ‘One of you is going to be born in the United States, and one of you is going to be born in Bangladesh. And if you wind up in Bangladesh, you will pay no taxes. What percentage of your income would you bid to be born in the United States?’ … The people who say: ‘I did it all myself’ … believe me, they’d bid more to be in the United States than in Bangladesh.”
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hopefully have time to read that later on. Thanks HA / Willow
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Idlest vermin destroyed in first appearance as Leader of the House (6,6).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anybody else have real trouble in getting on here this morning?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

MPs could be on summer recess by time new PM takes office, Mel Stride tells Commons (Politics Live, Guardian)
I do like a saunter. Especially when catastrophe is the likely destination - it adds to the pleasure.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anybody else have real trouble in getting on here this morning?
Today was ok - but I've had problems recently.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I found these images very moving.

How readily we are throwing away our freedoms and sliding back towards the horrors of 75 years ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/d ... 3eda958bb3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes - similarly, the thing that was done (with actors, rather than photos) for the WWI commemorations.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is anyone here going to be up for the Peterborough by-election coverage (sorry - can't remember which channel\s it's on)?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

BBC have a "by-election special" version of This Week tonight, I understand.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
MPs could be on summer recess by time new PM takes office, Mel Stride tells Commons (Politics Live, Guardian)
I do like a saunter. Especially when catastrophe is the likely destination - it adds to the pleasure.
Can the Tories really afford to leave Theresa May in place as PM throughout the summer, now she's finally agreed to go?

Will the public tolerate that?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Can the Tories really afford to leave Theresa May in place as PM throughout the summer, now she's finally agreed to go?

Will the public tolerate that?
And now it is being claimed May is saying she will only stand down as PM when her successor as Tory leader has shown they can command a Commons majority.......

<gets out popcorn>
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"Stick around . . ."
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And now it is being claimed May is saying she will only stand down as PM when her successor as Tory leader has shown they can command a Commons majority.......<gets out popcorn>
If that happens then we will use our time provided in the Article 50 extension by not having a functional government at all, and it would mean the tories going into a general election with May as Prime Minister but somebody else as party leader. That'll work well.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May to remain as Prime Minister until she finds a hat which suits her. This could take forever.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Theresa May to remain as Prime Minister until she finds a hat which suits her. This could take forever.
She's taken ruthlessness to another level
I'm sincerely shocked
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

She's still acting in the best interests of her party though, isn't she. The Tory party doesn't have anyone else to replace her with.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The chancellor, Philip Hammond, has warned Theresa May that reducing greenhouse gas emissions to net zero could cost the country £1tn and lead to industries becoming “economically uncompetitive” without government subsidies.
Cutting UK emissions to net zero would cost £1tn, says Hammond
Government already subsidise fossil fuel and contingent businesses. Not cutting emissions means poorer quality of life and shorter life expectancy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's as bad and worse than we thought, everyone
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No 10 retracts suggestion May could delay resignation until she is sure successor has confidence of Commons (Politics Live, Guardian)
Sort of . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
No 10 retracts suggestion May could delay resignation until she is sure successor has confidence of Commons (Politics Live, Guardian)
Sort of . . .
"over-interpreted" ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Being charitable to our outgoing (even if we don't know *exactly* when) PM for once, maybe the reported comments were in response to Raab's "prorogue parliament" idiocy?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

May's just stating convention and in doing so underlining just how fragile the Tory party's hold on power is. She's perfectly correct that she may only step down in favour of someone who commands the confidence of the house and this could potentially pose quite a conundrum. On the one hand we have evidence, from the likes of Hammond, that a leader with a "no deal" policy may well not command a majority. On the other hand, anyone willing to accept the backstop can't carry the DUP. Which is why Gove is proposing to renegotiate the backstop (yeah right) and talking of the possibility of a (short) extension. As far as I can tell any potential new PM would have to walk this impossible tightrope in order to be able to genuinely claim they enjoy the confidence of the house and I think we're going to see a very ugly fudge in order to finagle a new leader of a minority governing party into the Prime Ministership without a General Election.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please have a good night, everyone.
love,
cJA
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dence-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Next Tory leader could face immediate confidence vote
Downing Street says it expects parliament to be sitting when new prime minister is announced
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

Just looking at the article about the by-election, I hadn't realised that Patrick O'Flynn was now in something called the SDP. Another UKIP splinter group?

Edit - no, apparently it is the old SDP which was kept on life support and didn't quite expire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48532869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anybody still up?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:Anybody still up?
Only you...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Looks like Labour has won! Nigel Farage has, apparently, left the building.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bit of a relief that the Brexit Party lost. I'd been to bed but couldn't sleep until I knew the result. Majority was 693. Conservatives were third, Brexit Party second. Can't grapple with the figures at the moment.