Friday 21st June 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 21st June 2019

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-in-email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"traditional "type of Tory arseholes here in Derbyshire.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 21st June 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Petty bolometer malfunctions in support of Mark Field's alleged assault (5,9).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

And somewhat ironically...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... use-launch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -six-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Its the doubling down in Field's defence I don't understand, a grovelling apology would probably satisfy most people.

Lots of people do things in the heat of the moment they might regret later......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I learned a new word today (courtesy of PaulfromYorkshire). Not sure when I'll have cause to use it, though. Bolometer.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Lots of people do things in the heat of the moment they might regret later......
When the thing is manhandling a woman, many people are very concerned about the character of that person. That was his 'instinct'? :sick:
A grovelling apology wouldn't really cut it.

Compare and contrast to the reaction to Farage's milkshake moment.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Kevin Schofield

Verified account

@PolhomeEditor
Following Following @PolhomeEditor
More
BREAKING: Theresa May has suspended Mark Field as a minister. No10 spokeswoman said: “The Prime Minister has seen the footage and she found it very concerning.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

By election in Brecon and Radnorshire.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48720176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:By election in Brecon and Radnorshire.
Ephemerid will be pleased :-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Nearly double the number of signatures required for a recall.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
When the thing is manhandling a woman, many people are very concerned about the character of that person. That was his 'instinct'? :sick:
A grovelling apology wouldn't really cut it.

Compare and contrast to the reaction to Farage's milkshake moment.
Yes, suspending Field was the correct decision. My point was more on how so many on the right are actually *applauding* him!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Kevin Schofield

Verified account

@PolhomeEditor
Following Following @PolhomeEditor
More
BREAKING: Theresa May has suspended Mark Field as a minister. No10 spokeswoman said: “The Prime Minister has seen the footage and she found it very concerning.”
So, having quit as PM, Theresa May has finally shown some leadership.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Mark Field should be charged with assault or anything. It would be for the woman to press charges anyway , & it doesn't look like she will, but for no action to be taken at all would be to condone his behavior & that wouldn't be appropriate.

I tend to agree that an apology with acceptance that his actions were disproportionate would be best. And some anger management lessons wouldn't go amiss. What's completely unacceptable to me is some of the comments from others in defence of his actions. Someone on BBC said "he didn't kick or punch" as if grabbing a woman by the throat and slamming her into a pillar isn't violence. Kicking and punching is seen in a "fair" fight, something this wasn't, his being much bigger & stronger. This was the violence of dominance & that's what's making some people uncomfortable.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Just for clarification, when I said kicking and punching is seen in a "fair" fight what I was trying to say was that kicking and punching is what you would expect to see when someone is defending themselves from an assailant of similar size. Field wasn't attacked, though, he was the aggressor, the instigator of physical interaction, so not kicking or punching her was hardly the epitome of restraint, it's an absolute given ffs!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

You simply have to look at this Tweet Toby picked up. The replies look like being a bit of comedy gold!

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

"Unacceptable item in bagging area" :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

From Kay Barley:

All set to chair #Toryleadershipdebate on @SkyNews next Tuesday. @Jeremy_Hunt agreed to take part but @BorisJohnson has said no. Really?

The set’s built, the Tory supporting audience primed.

Are you really going to let them and YOUR country down, Boris?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Burley
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

There are no words...

But of course it's the Left who have the ideology...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-4 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Mr Hunt was health secretary between 2012 and 2018, taking on social care as well in the final year of his tenure."

The name change seems to have "worked" in abnegation of responsibility ,always was part of remit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nsons-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Police tried to cover this up, it is claimed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Police were called to the home of Boris Johnson and his partner, Carrie Symonds, in the early hours of Friday morning after neighbours heard a loud altercation involving screaming, shouting and banging.

The argument could be heard outside the property where the potential future prime minister is living with Symonds, a former Conservative party head of press.

A neighbour told the Guardian they heard a woman screaming followed by “slamming and banging”. At one point Symonds could be heard telling Johnson to “get off me” and “get out of my flat”.
How unlike the home life of our own dear Queen.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nsons-home
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Whoops - sorry!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tired and emotional I expect. Off the bolometer.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Some of the replies to this made me laugh so much...

Whatastate #FBPE #PutItToThePeople
@Whatastate2
·
1h
Replying to
@Nigel_Farage
‘Me and my friend Jim know their tricks’ - I reckon this lad was 10 in 1960
:lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://inews.co.uk/news/real-life/disa ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.hull.gov.uk/council-and-demo ... ouncillors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/ ... lives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RIP the Twitter account of Jim Davidson.

No flowers, please.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Does Boris Johnson really want to be PM, I wonder? Or does he just need the adulation and the sense of being "everyone's" hero? The cracks are already showing.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:You simply have to look at this Tweet Toby picked up. The replies look like being a bit of comedy gold!

That gave me a surprise, Toby's header photo is a very familiar view, didn't know he frequented my neck of the woods.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:Does Boris Johnson really want to be PM, I wonder? Or does he just need the adulation and the sense of being "everyone's" hero? The cracks are already showing.
This tweet is more or less what you said the other day, isn't it. Something quite sinister about it.
Hugo Rifkind

Verified account

@hugorifkind
Follow Follow @hugorifkind
More
I'm still trying to process the way that, after deciding in 2016 that they had no interest in Boris Johnson being their leader, Conservative MPs then watched him dramatically screw up everything he attempted for the next three years, which somehow changed their minds.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Coronation (which the Conservatives say they don't want) of Jeremy Hunt? Michael Gove allotted second place and contest continues? Boris Johnson unscathed? Boris Johnson stays in the contest for the look of things? Or, heaven forfend, we go through the whole process again?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Summer even came to Yorkshire today.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I remember years ago I lived in a ground floor flat with a girlfriend amazingly and the couple above us were total chavs. He was an amatuer footballer who would come in drunk and whine pitifully that his teammates had been less than kind about his performances before getting more drunk and hitting her, presumably to regain some of the manliness he felt his fellow players had deprived him of. We both talked to her about it but she denied there was a problem and when I confronted him about it he apologised for the noise but seemed similarly nonplussed that we regarded their behaviour as anything out of the ordinary. Then one night it got so bad we ended up ringing the police because he was actually screaming that he was going to kill her. The police arrived and we listened as they both expressed utter bemusement as to why they had been called and denied anything untoward had been occuring. Then as soon as the police were gone they were banging on our door furiously asking why we'd called them. This resulted in a minor brief scuffle which involved hitting him with a brick.

Sometimes there's no helping people, whether it be pitiful chavs or our future Prime Minister and his latest right wing floozy.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And if you're thinking anything along the lines of 'Oh no he's being mean about poor people and calling them chavs' I grew up on a council estate. Owen Jones didn't.

In Southern Scotland they were called 'chavers' and in the North East of England they were called 'charvers' because obviously Geordies are posh. And like much of the slang around the Scottish border it comes from Romany. For example I grew up calling men 'gadgees' which is a Romany word for non Romany people, a bit like 'gentile' if you were Jewish I guess, I presume the local men at the sheep market or whatever thought it a catch all term for all of them so it ended up meaning 'man'. 'Chavi' means child and its meaning has been similarly trampled by those misusing it.

But let's get one thing straight 'Chaver', 'Charver', or indeed 'Chav' is not a general term of abuse for an underclass for the working class. It has always been a term used to describe those amongst them who couldn't give a fuck about anyone else besides themselves. The kind of people who would burgle your house given half the chance, who would escalate any slight into pointless violence, who would sneer at any idea of community. Basically jerks. Or scum if you will.

On the estate I grew up on it only took two families of chavs to make life a misery at times.

And they didn't care, in fact they revelled in their not caring, which is what made them chavs.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Many of us were brought up in council estates in my experience the worst behaved were the offspring of the police and teachers ,the point is of course being a shit is s classless/non income/housetype/geographical/family makeup/gender activity.Council estates nor Thatcher created the selfish Society,often the worst complainers are the worst culprits,politicos extrapolate and penalise on cartoon like (mis)representations,more often than not the non selfish as selfish are penalised,caught up regardless on a "characteristic"
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 22 Jun, 2019 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ver-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;