Saturday 29th June & Sunday 30th June 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 29th June & Sunday 30th June 2019

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Its PTO time is it?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its PTO time is it?
Yep.

Good afternoon, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"We've reduced/removed reciprocal taking of responsibility for future eventualities"Vote for us.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The majority they are pitching to,of course are already in receipt of such benefits,not that they wouldn't self explode on mention of the very word.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Jeremy Hunt has said he would willingly tell businesses that go bust because of a no-deal Brexit that their sacrifice was a necessary one....
...[H]e will actively pursue such a course if a new departure plan looks impossible at the start of October.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-worth-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the man is as bad as a godawful toothache

edited to add
I've got multiple tooth aches. It's godawful.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tory MPs may prefer Boris Johnson and it certainly seems likely the Tory membership does, but what of the British Establishment? It seems to me this article in the Daily Mail isn't exactly very friendly to Johnson. Given recent polling that suggests nationally Johnson doesn't have any advantage over Hunt in terms of winning an election for the Tories, is it reasonable to assume Jeremy Hunt, the ultimate establishment Tory, may be the preferred candidate among the likes of Lord Rothermere?

Anyway, here's the gossip for the day:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -wife.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'I am still scared of Boris': Friend of Johnson's first wife reveals he 'threatened her over serious allegations about the couple's private life'.....

......When asked about the incident, Mostyn-Owen refused to comment directly but held up a copy of the New Statesman whose cover depicted Johnson with the headline 'Restraining Order'.

Johnson's ex-wife said it was a 'very good cover'.

He has not yet commented on the allegations.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Stewart Lee's latest is brilliant.
In time, Lee may write as well as Sky'sGoneOut. We'll see.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
Jeremy Hunt has said he would willingly tell businesses that go bust because of a no-deal Brexit that their sacrifice was a necessary one....
...[H]e will actively pursue such a course if a new departure plan looks impossible at the start of October.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-worth-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the man is as bad as a godawful toothache

edited to add
I've got multiple tooth aches. It's godawful.
Hunt maybe wants to be no-confidenced just after becoming PM as much as Johnson? :twisted:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-benefits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Not politics but Susan Oosthuizen's threads about the English landscape are fascinating reads.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't yet managed to get hold of her latest work - The Emergence of the English - which has been causing some ripples lately.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Not politics but Susan Oosthuizen's threads about the English landscape are fascinating reads.

I haven't yet managed to get hold of her latest work - The Emergence of the English - which has been causing some ripples lately.
Interesting and worth posting
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

England's cricketers finally produce when they are up against it!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So Conservative Woman throwing in their lot with The Brexit Party?

Wouldn't surprise me - CW has always been as mad as a box of frogs.

Edit - I notice that Hartley-Brewer and Claire Fox were included in that tweet - but of course Fox is still on the left. Oh yes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

How many *people* are there compared with Glastonbury?

There, perhaps, is your answer.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...
brexit party JAM
@brexjam
@ajayjagota

Hi Ajay

Throwing an exclusive event after the Big Vision Rally rather than meeting and greeting supporters is problematic.

I've seen a lot of angry people who came to Weatherspoon's after the rally only to discover that they weren't good enough to be allowed in.
7:06 PM · Jun 30, 2019 · Twitter for Android
As someone said, the penny starts to drop...
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Went to watch the baseball last night - no prizes other than a big thumbs up for anyone who can tell me the name of the astonishingly young looking handsome man who came and sat just in front of me to join in with one of the commentary teams.

Today I went and visited the street I lived in when first born until I was 2 - not the house because it's not there, we lived at number 54 and the street now mysteriously ends at 32 and turns into a park, but a nice park, so, literally, swings and roundabouts I suppose. (I'm aware of how planned that looked but it honestly just happened as I was typing)

I then went to where we lived after that until I was 8, and was going to take a photo but saw somebody in the front room, so I knocked on the door to ask permission and explained who I was and he invited me in and gave me a tour. It was almost exactly as I remember apart from now having a bathroom and an indoor loo (! young people these days, they don't know...)

Interestingly it was the house that this gentleman claimed was still his London residence for expenses purposes, apparently because he was still paying a service charge under the lease from when he had previously lived there (as we sold it to him, well, his dad for him as a graduation present) (young people these days...). (also note the linked story is from the Telegraph's political correspondent, one Andrew Sparrow).
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was wrong the other night about Harrogate being the place most likely to put bunting out in Yorkshire. Today I visited Pateley Bridge for the first time and there was loads of bunting out there for no reason. The place just seemed to be endless tea rooms charging £5.00 for a cheese sandwich. It was ghastly. And the weirdest thing was there seemed to be a load of clones of the same guy hanging around. He was of late middle age, obviously slightly portly despite being in leathers and always in the vicinity of a high powered motorcycle. In some places there were many of him talking to himself presumably about said motorcycles. It was truly disturbing. I knew it must be weird in Tory North Yorkshire but I wasn't quite prepared for genetic tinkering.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:In time, Lee may write as well as Sky'sGoneOut. We'll see.
How dare you CJA, Stewart Lee is cynical, patronising and superior for money.

I do it for free.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:I then went to where we lived after that until I was 8, and was going to take a photo but saw somebody in the front room, so I knocked on the door to ask permission and explained who I was and he invited me in and gave me a tour.
I went and checked out my old council house last year for the first time since I was 10. I didn't knock on the door as the lawn hadn't been mown for months, the fence my dad made had been left to rot and the bits left where they fell and I'd have been surprised if the windows had been even cursorily wiped in months.

What did intrigue me however was how small everything seemed. Not so much the houses themselves but the height of walls and distances to nearby things and places, it was as if everything had shrunk. Obviously that was a result of me being considerably bigger myself now but it was a peculiar feeling.

I also noticed much of the estate is privately owned now, there were 'To Let' signs all over the place, when I was a kid the way you demonstrated you'd taken advantage of Thatcher's bribe was to stick a stupid little pointless porch on the front, but of course those people were still living in them and wanted to show off, not renting them out. So now, apart from the signs, you can't tell what's council and what's not.

Which is all a terrible shame really as despite the stereotypes my estate was a good one to grow up in with a genuine sense of community, everyone was in the same boat, we were skint but most tried to keep the place nice, then Thatcher came along, ruined all that, and now my old house is a shithole.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:As someone said, the penny starts to drop...
I'm very, very disappointed. I now have a 4-hour drive home to reconsider my own investment in the Brexit Party.
There was no 'investment', you gave Nigel Farage £25 for which, as you have seen tonight, you will not just receive nothing, but you will be fobbed off and shunned by your 'man of the people' while he ditches his Wetherspoons pint and swaps it for a fine wine. You Sir are a sucker, a dupe, a fucking credulous idiot.

Did you not get the email about deciding policies? For £25 you should have at least got that. But then again how transparent a process do you think that's going to be you utter cretin?

And yet what upsets you is not getting into Nigel's 'big bash'?

You can put up with being asked to pay money to a limited company masquerading as a political party, which being generous implies you understand you have absolutely no democratic rights within said limited company, and yet what upsets you is feeling slighted by the man running said scam taking your money and laughing all the way to a German bank without sharing a pint with you?

You utter fucking twat.

I'd love the penny to drop but it'll just be nudged around until it falls into Farage's pocket.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sorry, didn't provide a link.

https://twitter.com/brexjam