Wednesday 3rd July 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 3rd July 2019

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 3rd July 2019

Post by HindleA »

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entr ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/policy/ap ... al-illness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Society should be judged to the extent in which it creates vulnerabilty"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We are all "vulnerable ",you can't be vulnerable when your dead.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:"Society should be judged to the extent in which it creates vulnerabilty"
"We are healthy to the extent that our ideas are humane".
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Brexit Party MEPs accidentally turn to face Mecca during national anthem
Brexit Party MEPs have apologised to their racists after accidentally turning to face Mecca as the European Parliament returned. “It was an honest mistake and it won’t happen again.” Part time alcoholic and full time chain smoker Nigel Farage told The Rochdale Herald. “Turns out we were just all pointing the wrong way. It’s just unfortunate that we were pointing at Mecca. It was nothing Muslamic or anything. It was just a coincidence.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

But the idea "looking after the most vulnerable" sounds humane.I argue it has pernicious consequences,it becomes about ascertaining and ever changeable
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The 'most vulnerable' idea always makes me think of them looking for the most vulnerable person, and when they find them, they'll be looked after. Everyone else can go hang.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/07/01/a-de ... s-scandal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:But the idea "looking after the most vulnerable" sounds humane.I argue it has pernicious consequences, it becomes about ascertaining and ever changeable
It's a Kurt Vonnegut quote (well, a KV Kilgore Trout quote) - I agree that it's on the wooly side but I like the idea that our attitudes towards things can define how we're doing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well I don't like "vulnerable" itself as you know ,for several reasons ,not least having to play the game of being sufficiently pathetic (or not),hence my attempt to state Societal factors/construction rather purely an individual "characteristic"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Adam point taken.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ssociation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

We're all vulnerable.

Vulnerable when we're born, when we're young. Vulnerable when we're old, when we're sick. Anyone who has the flu is more vulnerable than someone who hasn't got the flu in that moment in time and we're all susceptible to the flu.

Until we can accept that we are all interdependent, that very few of us could survive without the input of others, this false dichotomy of givers and takers, winners and losers, taxpayers and benefit scroungers, will persist.

I'm not a subsistence farmer and nor are any of my neighbours. Few of us in the western world can do it all on our own. You can't eat money and yet until we truly get that those with money will continue to act like they can.

If relying on others, on family, on the state, is weakness, then we are all weak. Every single one of us. We are all reliant on others, to grow our food, to build our houses, to dispense our medicines. We don't live like the Amish, we live in a complex, developed nation that can only function via careful governance and oversight. And I'm getting pretty fed up of spoilt, privileged Tories pretending we don't, that we don't need government and regulation and international laws and trade agreements and all the rest that has evolved out of centuries of interdependence.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have a major gripe against carers charities etc and the giving up thing.You gain as least as much as you supposedly lose and of course neglectful in consideration of feelings who you may be involved with in shared endeavour.It ain't one way.Shall I say "vulnerable" wouldn't be a word I would use to describe the most resilient determined positive and giving person I will ever know.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I've said it before, but the DWP in its present form simply needs closing down.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Once appropriate levelling of playing field actions were applied unsurprisingly the "vulnerabilty/disadvantage was reduced/removed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:The 'most vulnerable' idea always makes me think of them looking for the most vulnerable person, and when they find them, they'll be looked after. Everyone else can go hang.
astute observation
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:
HindleA wrote:But the idea "looking after the most vulnerable" sounds humane.I argue it has pernicious consequences, it becomes about ascertaining and ever changeable
It's a Kurt Vonnegut quote (well, a KV Kilgore Trout quote) - I agree that it's on the wooly side but I like the idea that our attitudes towards things can define how we're doing.
The opening pages of Breakfast With Champions are brilliant. Its a bit more varied afterwards, but still worth a read.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
I like your post a lot. I've tried communicating that for years.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Totally shockingly, the police have concluded there was no credible evidence of electoral fraud in the Peterborough by-election.

Who would ever have imagined it??