Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th July 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th July 2019

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:PTO
But there's nothing to PTO to!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -unchained" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing very surprising in this John Harris piece, but worth a Read.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Early night again for me, everyone.
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

I found this from a couple of months back.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... xe-cabinet
"The hardline Brexiteers don’t like him because he basically stopped no deal. But it is not just them – people like Michael Gove, in fact probably most of the main leadership candidates, have also got their doubts.

"The way Gavin’s departure was handled might well be the final straw. My guess is that, whoever comes next, Sedwill will almost certainly be quietly moved on."

One option for removing Sir Mark would be to offer him a peerage, although it is thought Boris Johnson could make him Britain's ambassador to America.
But we have an Ambassador to the US alre.....oh....how interesting...

The leak puts Hunt in a difficult position.

US advisors to Trump are calling for Darroch to be sacked but Hunt can hardly do that since it is not of Darroch's making that the leak occurred and in any case some of Darroch's assessments go back to 2017. You can hardly sack someone for things that have been known about for 2 years.

The alternative is to move him which is precisely what Johnson wants, and in the eyes of the right it makes Hunt look weak because they want Darroch's head.

Win-win for BJ!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Johnson visited Heck sausages in Yorkshire sometime last week. Found this today following a link to another story - Jay Rayner writing about food supply after Brexit back in May 2017 - Brexit and the coming food crisis: ‘If you can’t feed a country, you haven’t got a country’
Their turnover is projected to reach £18m this year and they are about to move into a new plant which will enable them to run multiple production lines. The only issue is workforce, which will have to double. Of the 60 people currently working in production, 85% are from eastern Europe; like Hall Hunter, Heck can’t get British people to do the work. I ask Debbie Keeble what an end to free movement of labour would mean to her business. “It would be cataclysmic,” she says. “No one here will take these jobs.” The Heck factory is in an area that voted strongly for Brexit. “During the referendum, campaigners were going on about people coming over here taking our jobs. Well, they’re not, because nobody here applies for them.”
Pity they didn't raise this stuff with Johnson when he visited last week. And that the press didn't bother to take him or them up on it.

ETA - they article also makes the point, about reciprocal recognition of citizens' rights, that the big majority of non-UK EU citizens in the UK are young people working, and the big majority of UK citizens in the rest of the EU are pensioners with growing health needs.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:How will they know for certain they're non-UK homeless people? Do people have to show ID when accosted on the street? What if they don't have any? Deport them where?
My other half goes out on outreach for a local homeless charity. One of the things they do is check to make sure people are getting benefits they are entitled to, and are doing what they can to get whatever housing, or to get on whatever lists, they are entitled to, so it does involve paperwork and so IDs and so on. From the people I know who do this work, they're not going to be going out of their way to pass information on.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Total SD card failure on my way home tonight, all of a sudden my phone had no music, no photos, no saved documents saved to the memory card.

All gone, just like that.

Thankfully I'm not a total dumbass and back up said stuff regularly just in case.

And I hope you all do the same because that shit came without any warning.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all.

I found this from a couple of months back.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... xe-cabinet
"The hardline Brexiteers don’t like him because he basically stopped no deal. But it is not just them – people like Michael Gove, in fact probably most of the main leadership candidates, have also got their doubts.

"The way Gavin’s departure was handled might well be the final straw. My guess is that, whoever comes next, Sedwill will almost certainly be quietly moved on."

One option for removing Sir Mark would be to offer him a peerage, although it is thought Boris Johnson could make him Britain's ambassador to America.
But we have an Ambassador to the US alre.....oh....how interesting...

The leak puts Hunt in a difficult position.

US advisors to Trump are calling for Darroch to be sacked but Hunt can hardly do that since it is not of Darroch's making that the leak occurred and in any case some of Darroch's assessments go back to 2017. You can hardly sack someone for things that have been known about for 2 years.

The alternative is to move him which is precisely what Johnson wants, and in the eyes of the right it makes Hunt look weak because they want Darroch's head.

Win-win for BJ!
I thought they - and Farage in particular - had another candidate in mind for UK ambassador to Washington...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote: I thought they - and Farage in particular - had another candidate in mind for UK ambassador to Washington...
Yes, and Trump was the first to suggest it but I can't see it happening.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:Johnson visited Heck sausages in Yorkshire sometime last week. Found this today following a link to another story - Jay Rayner writing about food supply after Brexit back in May 2017 - Brexit and the coming food crisis: ‘If you can’t feed a country, you haven’t got a country’
Their turnover is projected to reach £18m this year and they are about to move into a new plant which will enable them to run multiple production lines. The only issue is workforce, which will have to double. Of the 60 people currently working in production, 85% are from eastern Europe; like Hall Hunter, Heck can’t get British people to do the work. I ask Debbie Keeble what an end to free movement of labour would mean to her business. “It would be cataclysmic,” she says. “No one here will take these jobs.” The Heck factory is in an area that voted strongly for Brexit. “During the referendum, campaigners were going on about people coming over here taking our jobs. Well, they’re not, because nobody here applies for them.”
Pity they didn't raise this stuff with Johnson when he visited last week. And that the press didn't bother to take him or them up on it.

ETA - they article also makes the point, about reciprocal recognition of citizens' rights, that the big majority of non-UK EU citizens in the UK are young people working, and the big majority of UK citizens in the rest of the EU are pensioners with growing health needs.

I do wonder what impact the policy of social mobility over a period of time has had on youngsters perception of what level of jobs they think they ought to be aiming for. And Blair's "50% into HE or training" which has been misrepresented as "50% to university".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Right. Meeting in school at 8:30 so better get to bed...night all.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:Pity they didn't raise this stuff with Johnson when he visited last week. And that the press didn't bother to take him or them up on it.
I once worked in a fish factory in Eyemouth, it was summer work and it stank.

Now all that work is being done by Eastern Europeans.

It's funny how all the jobs they're taking are the shit smelly ones.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I do wonder what impact the policy of social mobility over a period of time has had on youngsters perception of what level of jobs they think they ought to be aiming for. And Blair's "50% into HE or training" which has been misrepresented as "50% to university".
Speaking on behalf of my brother who teaches GCSE science to said youngsters in the North West I'd have to say minimal.

From what he's told me family is still the single most important thing.

Especially if you happen to be female.

He's had girls who could have gone to Oxford or Cambridge refuse to take A levels under pressure from their parents who would rather keep them for breeding purposes.

Much of the North of England is still seriously backward.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Nowt wrong with "shit,smelly jobs',if you have a reasonable level.of self respect you don't give a rats'.arse as to status or others' opinions.IMHO

My mum worked for years in fish factories And I'm clearing blood and cleaning up after people.Things would swiftly come to a halt if it wasn't done.Nobody,including Eastern Europeans have lasted doing it this long.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Well the human race would cease to be if there wasn't any breeding