Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st July 2019

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st July 2019

Post by HindleA »

I view all factions as equally annoying,I don't like to have to think.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You can equally bemoan regardless of wing ascriptions but it should be based on facts IMHO.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Actually I've never been clear about the Harman welfare thing. I think I had just left on holiday overseas when it happened.

I'd welcome some more discussion if we can avoid falling out!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Dawn Foster also linked this piece from Patrick Wintour. A "long read" from the end of that summer. Worth a look I reckon.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bour-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I only fall out with myself and on a regular basis.To be clear I am happier with the direction,but many issues remain unresolved;this "space" provides an opportunity but also a danger IMHO
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And it ain't necessarily simple eg."free personal care"dependent on implementation can reduce support for some.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This Tweet from Jeremy Hunt hasn't gone down well!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I greatly appreciate your reminders on the topic A. I think you have trained me to look ever more critically at the language around disability, age, benefits etc.

With regard to the Harman moment is your concern then that Corbyn got something of a free ride on the topic?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Confused money novices exposing Boris plan for No Deal trade as a "non-starter".
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:Yorkshire Vikings who are they?
https://www.yorkshireccc.com/t20blast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The fact that Burnham and Cooper were in the shadow cabinet so didn't have the same freedom to break the whip and oppose the welfare cuts is not acknowledged in the "Corbyn was the only leadership contender to vote against" narrative. That Burnham made great efforts to get Harman to change Labour's position, and succeeded in getting an amendment tabled, is mostly forgotten but it seems likely if elected leader he would have changed Labour's stance. And, of course, the Tories had a majority. Burnham wouldn't have materially changed anything by resigning from the shadow cabinet to vote against, he would have just given up a position from which he could seek to influence policy. Ultimately Burnham was punished in the leadership race for Harman's policy. His subsequent loyalty to Corbyn was born of the same principles, the ultimate irony being, of course, that Corbyn can only ever be successful as leader if others make the compromises and pragmatic choices which he, in their position, could not.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Parliamentary lawmaking procedure intentionally creates divisiveness and obfuscation.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This Tweet from Jeremy Hunt hasn't gone down well!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, wow
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

She's still in hospital? The last media report I'd read indicated she went home the same day.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:I only fall out with myself and on a regular basis.To be clear I am happier with the direction,but many issues remain unresolved;this "space" provides an opportunity but also a danger IMHO
Differences and unresolved issues will continue because we're human beings working things out together. Individual isolation is dangerous. You help me continue living.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Actually I've never been clear about the Harman welfare thing.
---
(cJA edit)
Neither have I, Paul!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Wintour also points out that Burnham was hamstrung by some of his key supporters. I was minded to vote for him at the outset but my recollection is he wavered so much through the campaign it was almost embarrassing.

In fact Kendall comes out of the Wintour article well, but maybe that's because he wrote it!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:She's still in hospital? The last media report I'd read indicated she went home the same day.
The Tweet is from yesterday Thornberry is fine it seems.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Of course, our own archives from 4 years ago are still available if people want an idea of how it all went down at the time......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's a fair amount of scepticism about that 19 year old "journalist" saying "Oh by the way it was me behind that Kim Darroch story" in the DM.

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/ ... 5178635264
Chris Cook
@xtophercook
This whole thing is deeply weird. Journalists sometimes leave bylines off to confuse leak-hunters, but don’t then reveal themselves a week later. Also a v muddled idea of what the diplomatic service does, and its “no, this wasn’t a Brexiter hit on Kim Darroch” argument is... odd
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: In fact Kendall comes out of the Wintour article well, but maybe that's because he wrote it!
I recall a "surprising" number of people voting 1Corbyn 2Kendall in the 2015 election (and some the other way round too)

She has generally given a good impression when on BBC's This Week, even though she is obviously not a Jez supporter ;)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I'm not a Jez supporter as such either. Kendall appears to understand that he has earned the leadership and deserves respect. It's the idea that Corbyn has somehow stolen the leadership that upsets me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Or indeed that his election (and re-election) as leader was simply a random act of madness that happened for no reason.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Or indeed that his election (and re-election) as leader was simply a random act of madness that happened for no reason.
The reason was people wanted a left wing Labour leader.

The problem is he's fucking useless.

I can't really put it any more succinctly than that.

I mean how the hell can the Labour party still be on relative parity with a Tory party in utter chaos about to elect a leader most of them hate?

It truly boggles the mind.

Yet here we are where those of us on the left who wish to remain in the EU are having to vote for the Liberal fucking Democrats because apparently Corbyn's Labour might hate a Tory brexit but would still subject us to their own 'jobs first' unicorn shit if they have their way.

I have a lot of time for Jeremy Corbyn, I think he's a decent man, but I also think he's incapable of any kind of spontaneous thought or wit, any examples of his spontaneity to prove me wrong are of course welcome, because it's not his Marxism or his alleged anti-semitism or any of that shit I have a problem with. I just think he's a bit thick.

And that those around him have agendas that are at least 30 years out of date.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sorry Anatoly, that wasn't aimed at you, just...you know.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I have a 2:1 in Classics.

Do any of you think I should be running this country?

I could tell you stories about the rich Athenians bringing in Solon to save their own necks or about how a democracy can change it's mind in the case of the Mytilenians or how a demagogue can bring about initial success but ultimate humiliation and defeat.

And it's not just ancient Greece that is replete with these lessons, we keep making the same mistakes over and over and over again because as a species we do tend to end up being ruled by fucking morons.

Perhaps some kind of genetic engineering would make things better?

[youtube]OddgsPyCJmU[/youtube]