Wednesday 1st October 2014.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 1st October 2014.

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Alan Bennett
David Hockney
Michael Palin
Judi Dench (admittedly not a man)

and of course he's pissed off his best mate Clarkson :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham Hindle(my brother,well he is to me).Is eligible because he was born in Yorkshire.Before Yorkshire CC allowed non Yorkshiremen to play for them,he often reminded people he could.
Indeed. I used to be somewhat upset that, because by some aberration I was born outside the borders, I was not able to play for Yorkshire. The fact I am hopeless at cricket was of no relevance….
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Dominic Cummings has woken up, and as usual he is scathing.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This exchange made me chuckle
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 13.29.11.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 13.29.11.png (99.43 KiB) Viewed 12981 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Whatever our travails, we can wake up each morning and thank God - or whatever - that we are not Louise Mensch 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Whatever our travails, we can wake up each morning and thank God - or whatever - that we are not Louise Mensch 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

JackPranker wrote:
DonutHingeParty wrote:
PorFavor wrote: I thought it was a fantasy. For most people, anyway. The couple of editions I've seen hardly presented a story of everyday people.
"So Jocasta and Peregrine are looking for a five bed house in Islington, but only have 3 million to spend. This property is going for 4 million."

"Yah, we've moved some money around and found another 800,000, so hopefully they'll take an offer."
Reminds me of... I can't remember the radio show, but some late 80s/early 90s radio 4 sketch show had the following (sort of) dialogue:

Tarquin: What shall we do tonight, dawlink?
Fenella: Shall we go to the theater?
Tarquin: What about Troilus and Cressida?
Fenella: Oh we'll get a baby sitter!
I worked in Richmond a year or so back. First day working there I heard a mother, waiting at the bus stop with two kids, the eldest (about 4) throwing a paddy - "Don't do that Isis, it isn't nice", said mummy. That programme really was a documentary, not a parody. :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 38m38 minutes ago
Cameron's speech = classic Tory Coke - sound money, tax cuts, a fight with Europe. The question - has Britain got the taste for it?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Whatever our travails, we can wake up each morning and thank God - or whatever - that we are not Louise Mensch 8-)
Yep, I don't need plastic surgery either.

Sorry, bitch moment, couldn't resist.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

:lol:

Wish I could thank you a 100 times for that one.
Working on the wild side.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Little Nicky

Twitter has already got the Osborne gags in of course ;-)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

David Cameron's speech is now available on the party's website:

http://press.conservatives.com/post/988 ... conference
HT AS's blog, where I went to see if it's displaying 'properly' yet. No, it isn't. Still acres of white-space and text either in left- or right-hand margins...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Thanks to George Eaton for this:

''Osborne on Brown in 2008: If he doesn't explain how it is going to be paid for it isn't a tax cut, it is a complete con''

I reckon by the end of the day that speech will have come apart at the seams?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 38m38 minutes ago
Cameron's speech = classic Tory Coke - sound money, tax cuts, a fight with Europe. The question - has Britain got the taste for it?
I thought classic Tory Coke was what Gideon used with that nice lady .....allegedly. :o
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Good point being made on Radio 4 re Cameron and Tories tax cuts promise after 2018 .... someone saying what they are effectively saying is that the welfare freeze / cuts for poorest, especially the working poor will fund / pave the way for subsequent tax cuts for higher rate payers and middle income earners. Not a good message to send and makes it sound as though the Tories have essentially given up on the working poor thinking they are all going to vote Labour or don't vote at all. That last bit was how the commentator summed it up.

Hope Labour are ready to say as much - loudly and clearly.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Thanks to George Eaton for this:

''Osborne on Brown in 2008: If he doesn't explain how it is going to be paid for it isn't a tax cut, it is a complete con''

The press pack will praise it to the rafters, but it is empty waffle offering nothing.
Worse it introduces brand confusion. The Tories used to stand for relentless focus on the economy, and austerity. Now they stand for austerity and an unfunded tax cut.

Hard to see this working for them beyond tomorrow's headlines.
Release the Guardvarks.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 38m38 minutes ago
His slightly more interesting quote from Daily Politics on BBC was
BBC political editor Nick Robinson says the speech was a "classic Tory" one, arguing for tax cuts and a fight with Europe. But he also notes that Labour will immediately ask: "Where is this cash coming from?"
I still believe in a town called Hope
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Danny Alexander, failing to understand irony.
The Tories shameless attempt to copy Liberal Democrat tax policy will be utterly incredible to the millions of working people who they have made clear will be their main target for cuts in the next parliament.

The Conservatives opposed increases to the tax threshold at the last election. The big tax cuts for 25m working people in this Parliament have only been delivered because of the determination and commitment of Liberal Democrats to fight for them every day.

Liberal Democrats will fund tax cuts fairly in the next parliament, asking those with the broadest shoulders to pay more. The Tory plan is based solely on spending cuts, mainly directed at the working age poor.

And the Conservative plan to raise the higher rate threshold to £50,000 means that the working-age poor are being asked to fund a tax cut that is four times greater for higher rate tax payers than for basic rate taxpayers.

The only party that can be trusted to deliver tax cuts for working people fairly is the Liberal Democrats.
Is Danny really still hoping for a Lib Dem majority in the next parliament? Surely the fact that your coalition partner has said that they'll do something you want to do is a good thing? And that broadest shoulders line? He nicked it from Cameron.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... urden.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

I like it when people I dislike make their own lives difficult (makes a change from making mine difficult at least). They must have another tactic than saying "Labour can't be trusted with the economy" in defence of their tax cut plans.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jason Beattie ‏@JBeattieMirror 6m6 minutes ago
So higher rate taxpayers get the benefit of the rise from £10,500 to £12,500 and from higher rate going up. = £1,900 tax break.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jason Beattie ‏@JBeattieMirror 6m6 minutes ago
So higher rate taxpayers get the benefit of the rise from £10,500 to £12,500 and from higher rate going up. = £1,900 tax break.
Just like higher rate taxpayers got the benefit from the rise to £10,000 too. In fact I think there was a study saying that higher rate taxpayers made the most from that particular wheeze.
I thought there was supposed to be a claw back to stop those on the higher rate from benefitting.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

DonutHingeParty wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Just like higher rate taxpayers got the benefit from the rise to £10,000 too. In fact I think there was a study saying that higher rate taxpayers made the most from that particular wheeze.
I thought there was supposed to be a claw back to stop those on the higher rate from benefitting.
The value of the basic allowance tapers for people earning between about £100k to £150k, at which point it isn't worth a thing. (Poor dears). You get the full value of it on incomes up to around £100k.

Edited to add - correction, it tapers at 50p in the pound after income of £100 so once you earn (personal allowance x2) over £100k it isn't worth anything. (Again, poor dears).
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fyi "DC tax pledges,graphs"
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Two days old but still a good piece from Rebecca Winson:

Dear David Cameron: A Letter From the Young Me You Denied Benefits
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/rebecca ... ostpopular
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Why the energy has gone out of Tory green policy
Conserative party conference suggests David Cameron and his ministers don’t have a single new thought on the environment

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... een-policy
... I can think of two explanations as to why the energy has gone out of Conservative green policy. The first is political. Labour’s energy price freeze may have been derided as “economically insane” but it’s hit the bullseye with voters, who loathe the big six as much as their big bills.

So the Tories may be choosing to keep their heads down: say nothing about their future energy policy and let others attack Labour. It’s analogous to Labour “forgetting” to speak about the deficit, a weak point for them.

The argument in favour of a heads-down strategy is even stronger on the environment. Terrible floods following flood defence budget cuts, the horsemeat scandal, the badger cull and, perhaps most of all, a climate-sceptic environment secretary in Owen Paterson, have made the Tories toxic in many green minds. Ceding energy and environment is risky, but the political calculation may be that it is one worth taking...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Thanks to George Eaton for this:

I'm wondering that Brown cut was intended to be a Keynsian boost.

No wonder Osborne didn't understand that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Wouldn't there be a Parliamentary for getting the OBR to look at party spending promises?

I'm looking fwd to Simon Wren Lewis on the Cameron and Osborne stuff.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

IFS responds, now what was I saying earlier, as was everyone else to be fair.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-10-0 ... ce-speech/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sorry if someone else has already posted this link. It's very good.
Dear David Cameron: A Letter From the Young Me You Denied Benefits
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/rebecca ... _hp_ref=uk
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:IFS responds, now what was I saying earlier, as was everyone else to be fair.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-10-0 ... ce-speech/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers.

I wouldn't put it past them to pull some "tax cuts pay for themselves" rubbish out of their arses.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:IFS responds, now what was I saying earlier, as was everyone else to be fair.

Cheers.

I wouldn't put it past them to pull some "tax cuts pay for themselves" rubbish out of their arses.
Gove said it would be paid for from (unspecified) 'further cuts in public spending'.
He did yes, Tory spinners, when questioned about the actual guts of Cameron's speech said tax cuts would be decided ''on a budget by budget basis'' how they can get away with such statements is beyond me.

Paul Johnson did say that the tax cuts would help income tax payers only, anyone on less than 10 grand a year wouldn't feel any benefit.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

From John Cridland, the CBI director general
The CBI welcomes the prime minister’s commitment to a long-term economic plan for a successful Britain. Businesses are ready to step up to the plate to make sure that growth is meaningful to everyone.
LTEP - check :roll:

Why haven't businesses been "ready to step up to the plate to make sure that growth is meaningful to everyone" before now ?

A business that doesn't work at being successful will be bankrupt before long.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Glanced too quickly at this email header:
up to 50% off | Toy Exchange | Clearance
Thought it said Tory exchange but suppose that's wishful thinking........
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Gavin Kelly, Resolution Foundation:

''Once UC is up and running, 2/3 of gains arising from tax cuts won't be passed onto over 2 million families''
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:Glanced too quickly at this email header:
up to 50% off | Toy Exchange | Clearance
Thought it said Tory exchange but suppose that's wishful thinking........
The old "I got a set of furry dice for my Skoda. Thought that was a fair swap" joke comes to mind. Except who would offer anything for an obsolescent & faulty political party?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

UKIP press conference at 5pm, from Tockington, south Gloucester, the unveiling of that donor who's name escapes, but rumours are still rife..
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

NiceOneBanksy.jpg
NiceOneBanksy.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 12763 times
Retweeted by Ian Dunt
Duncan Stott ‏@DuncanStott 19m19 minutes ago
Nice one Banksy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29446232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Editing to add:
... A new Banksy mural showing a group of pigeons holding anti-immigration banners has appeared in Essex.

The mysterious artist posted two photos of the work on his website, stating that it is in Clacton-on-Sea.

Four pigeons are shown holding signs including "Go Back to Africa", while a more exotic-looking bird looks on...
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Wed 01 Oct, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Bloodworth
‏@J_Bloodworth
So now we know: the benefit freeze is paying for a tax cut for the top 15% http://leftfootforward.org/2014/10/the- ... he-top-15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

[youtube]0YBumQHPAeU[/youtube]

Genius!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:[youtube]0YBumQHPAeU&feature[/youtube]

Genius!
Be even more genius if the URL worked! :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Loving Twitter today
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 16.15.59.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 16.15.59.png (228.89 KiB) Viewed 14746 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Genius!
It does now :oops:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Genius!
It does now :oops:
That's the first laugh out loud moment I've had in a long and trying day - duly posted on my Facebook page. And probably soon to be sent out to all the Bury Labour Group for their enjoyment.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:[youtube]0YBumQHPAeU[/youtube]

Genius!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Neonicotinoid ban hit UK farmers hard
Bugs devour rapeseed crop in Britain as EU ban on pesticide to save bees comes into force

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -pesticide
Thank goodness for BTL posters like Steb1 who has - as usual - written a really excellent response to this premature, whingeing complaint by Peter Kendall (former NFU Chair) of all people. Sorry, but I'm not going to accept any whinge, argument or so called fact that comes from him.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:[youtube]0YBumQHPAeU[/youtube]

Genius!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, that's wonderful stuff. Ta very much PfY - we needed that. And to pk1 for doing the embedding.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
NiceOneBanksy.jpg
Retweeted by Ian Dunt
Duncan Stott ‏@DuncanStott 19m19 minutes ago
Nice one Banksy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29446232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Editing to add:
... A new Banksy mural showing a group of pigeons holding anti-immigration banners has appeared in Essex.

The mysterious artist posted two photos of the work on his website, stating that it is in Clacton-on-Sea.

Four pigeons are shown holding signs including "Go Back to Africa", while a more exotic-looking bird looks on...
Er, the 'more exotic looking bird' is a swallow (no Holy Grail quotes please) - RSPB:
Swallows are small birds with dark, glossy-blue backs, red throats, pale underparts and long tail streamers. They are extremely agile in flight and spend most of their time on the wing. They are widespread breeding birds in the Northern Hemisphere, migrating south in winter.
I am increasingly convinced that the BBC is staffed by morons.
I don't mind the description of a swallow as exotic looking (cos they are very very beautiful) but not if it's hiding someone's lack of ability to identify a swallow. That is - I agree - pretty dim.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 10m10 minutes ago
Cameron's speech rap style by @Cassetteboy - closer to the truth " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @youtube
He's quick isn't he.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Faisal Islam:
Resolution Foundation: The distributional impact of these cuts is skewed towards the top half of the overall income distribution.
No surprise there then.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gaby Hinsliff ‏@gabyhinsliff 59s60 seconds ago
MEANWHILE RT Just arrived at Old Down Manor in Gloucestershire for mystery Ukip event. Have we been sold a pup or will it be worth it?
Emily Ashton ‏@elashton 3m3 minutes ago
Dispatched from Tories in Birmingham to random Gloucestershire country house for UKIP. Nigel Farage assures me it was worth the trip...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Gaby Hinsliff ‏@gabyhinsliff 59s60 seconds ago
MEANWHILE RT Just arrived at Old Down Manor in Gloucestershire for mystery Ukip event. Have we been sold a pup or will it be worth it?
Sold a pup I reckon, it would be too good.